Cozumel?

GrammaJo128

We have a choice between a NCL six day cruise in October or a 7 day cruise with NCL in November. The second choice has a stop at Cozumel. Obviously it would be less costly to go on the six day cruise since it's one day less and the airfare is lower. I want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake by skipping Cozumel. I know its a subjective question, and no one can decide for us, but being brand new to all of this, I don't have one clue as whether Cozumel is worth spending roughly $300.00 more for, as well as any port excursions etc. Honestly? odds are we'd find a beautiful beach as opposed to an excursion. (Unless someone convinces me something is not to be missed! :) I just don't know enough about the excursions and they sound expensive, therefore I'm not sure we will have enough budgeted to afford them. Again, I know it's an opinion, but for those of you who have beent here a few times, I was hoping for your input before I decide. Thank you!

I can't talk on Cozumel, however, if you go to the PORTS OF CALL boards back on the main cruise critic board you might want to post your question over there.

Also join your roll call for your sailing -- ROLL CALL - Norwegian - Ship - sailing date and you might find others who are doing private excursions for less money than the ship will be charging. Sometimes its taxi/van sharing and it will offer a more private trip experience.

Don't question yourself, if $300 for an extra day is a lot, don't stress and go for the 6 day cruise. Remember there is the extra daily service charge for each passenger that is added so you need to budget for that ($12 per day per person).

Who knows! You might truly love cruising and will have the change to go again and you can pick up Cozumel on the next one! :D

You'll have a good time either way.

There are always more ports than stops.

Relax. It's a vacation.

I'd suggest going with the decision that you'll worry about least.

What are the other ports? If you list them we can guess how much you'll miss if you forgo Cozumel.

Only you know your money situation and if it is worth it to you. Like you said everyone is subjective in their thoughts of what they may think is a "great" port, while others may not.

That being said...my thoughts:

We absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Cozumel. It has been our favorite port on the Western cruises. When we went to Cozumel last September (my husbands first time there, my second), we went to Chankanaab National Park. It is so beautiful there and so much to do. We had the best day there.

So, when we came back home and started planning our next cruise, we knew we wanted a different ship (for the experience) and different ports (if possible) on the Western side. HOWEVER, we also knew that if we had the chance, we would go back to Cozumel.

Well, we were in luck, we did find another western route that had different ports (all of them) but Cozumel was on there again. YIPPEE! We knew we had to book it and did. We went to Cozumel (and Chankanaab) twice in 6 months. :D

We have our next cruised booked, once again Cozumel is one of the ports. :p

If you are interested in what we did there, I wrote a review from last September when we went: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30683350&postcount=59

This is also located at the park for an additional fee: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=30692077&postcount=65

This is the review from March: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33274360&postcount=48

At the end of each review you will find a link to all of the pictures we took there. :)

Cozumel is a very nice port and I think seven days versus six days on a cruise is always good.

If it was me I would take the seven day cruise.

Keith

I agree.

Only you can decide, of course, and choose whether the extra money is worth it to you, OP, but

we really like Cozumel and enjoy our visits there.

We had not been for a while but returned this past November.... we were happy to spend another day there.

Either way, hope you have a great cruise.

We have been to Cozumel ten times and do something different each trip. It is a real easy port to do on your own, but $300 can go a long way towards tours or shopping. If you plan on cruising again it wouldn't t hurt to miss Coz. Most of the ships stop there so it could be visited on the next cruise.

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and input. I'll check out the port of call boards (I haven't navigated enough pass the First Time boards) so I didn't even realize those were on here. I'll also read the blogs. I have no doubt I will fall completely in love with cruising, but I have to pray DH does also!

Our other ports are Ocho Rios in Jamaica and Georgetown, Grand Caymen and of course NCL's Island, Great Stirrup Cay. Is that a decent itinerary?

Grand Cayman is a beautiful place and most people seem to love it.

Great Stirrup Cay I thought was pretty as well and we enjoyed our day there.

Jamaica, most people do not seem to care for (including myself because I had a bad experience years ago there). However, we found an AI and that made things a lot better. :D

Hate to be the negative post but we found Cozumel overly crowded (even in the water) with many people in town getting drunk. If we find ourselves in Cozumel again, we would definitely go to the beach and have a relaxing day. The water is beautiful. Here is a link to a TripAdvisor thread regarding one beach in Cozumel http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d558543-r90193463-Playa_Palancar-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html . The biggest cost is getting there but it sounds lovely.

I love Cozumel and it has become one of my favorite ports. Lots to see and do, great beaches, friendly people and some really terrific options for touring and excursions.

GrammaJo128, your other stops sound great (although most people are not crazy about Jamaica). You'll have a great time.

We've only been to Cozumel once and did a beach day so we didn't get too much time to tour around. I've heard that there are so many things to do there that I think next time we'll take a land vacation there. Don't know that I'd pay another $300 to go there for 1 day. Many cruises offer it as a port and you can always do it at some other time.

I think you will probably have less chance of nasty weather in October vs November - but hurricane season can ruin the port, and maybe you wouldn't be able to stop there anyway. Always a possibility at that time of year.

We have been to Cozumel 5 times and love it. Playa Mia beach is a great place to spend the day. Even just walking around the shops at the port is very nice. Fat Tuesday's is the greatest port bar you will ever go to. ;)

I totally agree on all you just said! Playa Mia and Fat Tuesdays are awesome! Cozumel is probably my all time favorite port, it has special meaning because my wife and I cruised during our honeymoon and Cozumel is the port we had our best memories from.

There are lots to do in Cozumel, the people are super nice and the food is awesome! If you do go rent a Jeep and drive around the island, it's pretty much a big circle. There you can check out some of the beaches, munch on some food and even have time to shop in downtown Cozumel. All that can be done in the few hours that you are in port if you plan things right. But make sure you have time to hit up Fat Tuesdays which is right at the pier!!

Oh yeah.. and I happen to think Grand Cayman is boring... nice but boring.. Just my two cents.

We have a choice between a NCL six day cruise in October or a 7 day cruise with NCL in November. The second choice has a stop at Cozumel. Obviously it would be less costly to go on the six day cruise since it's one day less and the airfare is lower. I want to make sure I'm not making a big mistake by skipping Cozumel. I know its a subjective question, and no one can decide for us, but being brand new to all of this, I don't have one clue as whether Cozumel is worth spending roughly $300.00 more for, as well as any port excursions etc. Honestly? odds are we'd find a beautiful beach as opposed to an excursion. (Unless someone convinces me something is not to be missed! :) I just don't know enough about the excursions and they sound expensive, therefore I'm not sure we will have enough budgeted to afford them. Again, I know it's an opinion, but for those of you who have beent here a few times, I was hoping for your input before I decide. Thank you!

I would go with what I could afford first and then make plans for a second cruise later on that would stop in Cozumel.

If that $300 is a concern, then skip the 7 day and Cozumel. It's just like any other more modernized beachy island. It's pretty clean, has all the standards like Senor Frogs, nice beach bars, and average snorkeling, but it's not a must in my book.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear it's a port everyone likes, but I think some of you were correct in that this cruise is costing more than I originally anticipated, so we will forego it this trip. I am going to start a special 'crusing' savings account so that I'm not forced to make a choice like that again. I'm very nervous about Jamaica now because I keep hearing so many people think it's crime ridden etc. Being new (and not even remotely a seasoned traveler, yet alone a seasoned cruiser) I'm just so afraid we'll be obvious targets! LOL I guess I'll have to put on my 'been there, done that' look and not make it so obvious we are clueless. :D

We have been to Cozumel ten times and do something different each trip. It is a real easy port to do on your own, but $300 can go a long way towards tours or shopping. If you plan on cruising again it wouldn't t hurt to miss Coz. Most of the ships stop there so it could be visited on the next cruise.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to hear it's a port everyone likes, but I think some of you were correct in that this cruise is costing more than I originally anticipated, so we will forego it this trip. I am going to start a special 'crusing' savings account so that I'm not forced to make a choice like that again. I'm very nervous about Jamaica now because I keep hearing so many people think it's crime ridden etc. Being new (and not even remotely a seasoned traveler, yet alone a seasoned cruiser) I'm just so afraid we'll be obvious targets! LOL I guess I'll have to put on my 'been there, done that' look and not make it so obvious we are clueless. :D[

There are a few extras that you need to figure into your budget. Food, transportation, and tips must be added. Then there are always the gifts for friends and the essential T-shirts that must be purchased.

As for Jamaica, just book a tour. There are several good locals that you can find on the ports of call boards. When in doubt, just bite the bullet and book with the ship. This is one port that I would not do on my own.

I just HAD to respond. We are getting ready to go on our 10th cruise. We have been to many ports. Our favorite, by far is Cozumel! Here's how you can get your moneys worth. Check out Nachi Cocum. You will pay around 45.00pp or so. The price includes all you can drink(alcoholic and non). It also includes your fabulous lunch, sodas, chair tiki hut type umbrella, swimming pool, hot tub and non- motorized water equipment.It is very beautiful and the staff are very, very friendly. We have also tried the PLAYA MIA. This one I think is around the same price and includes the same as well. You can go to Nachi Cocum website. I called them. They will send you a confirmation. I gave them my debit card number, but they don't charge anything on it. You will pay cash when you arrive. The reason for the card number is they will charge you 15 percent if you don't show. It's that simple. The ride from the pier is about 15 minutes. You can easily grab a taxi and split the costs with other tourists! Usually runs about 5 bucks a person. You can message back here. I have lots of photos I can email you from Nachi!

SHARON

I just HAD to respond. We are getting ready to go on our 10th cruise. We have been to many ports. Our favorite, by far is Cozumel! Here's how you can get your moneys worth. Check out Nachi Cocum. You will pay around 45.00pp or so. The price includes all you can drink(alcoholic and non). It also includes your fabulous lunch, sodas, chair tiki hut type umbrella, swimming pool, hot tub and non- motorized water equipment.It is very beautiful and the staff are very, very friendly. We have also tried the PLAYA MIA. This one I think is around the same price and includes the same as well. You can go to Nachi Cocum website. I called them. They will send you a confirmation. I gave them my debit card number, but they don't charge anything on it. You will pay cash when you arrive. The reason for the card number is they will charge you 15 percent if you don't show. It's that simple. The ride from the pier is about 15 minutes. You can easily grab a taxi and split the costs with other tourists!

Usually runs about 5 bucks a person. You can message back here. I have lots of photos I can email you from Nachi!

SHARON

Awesome! Sadly, we already booked a six day cruise that does not include Cozumel. I had to book because the sale prices were expiring that day. We are looking at a 2nd cruise with some friends around April. We have decided that Cozumel will be one of our ports since we won't get to see it this time. I'm sure that won't be hard to find since some of you have said that Cozumel is a very common port. I wish we were going there instead of Ocho Rios, but I do want to see the Falls, so hopefully all will go well there. Thanks so much for sharing your excitement. Photos would be awesome, but is it safe to put my email address on this forum? I don't care if you had it but I don't want gobs of spam etc.

I just HAD to respond. We are getting ready to go on our 10th cruise. We have been to many ports. Our favorite, by far is Cozumel! Here's how you can get your moneys worth. Check out Nachi Cocum. You will pay around 45.00pp or so. The price includes all you can drink(alcoholic and non). It also includes your fabulous lunch, sodas, chair tiki hut type umbrella, swimming pool, hot tub and non- motorized water equipment.It is very beautiful and the staff are very, very friendly. We have also tried the PLAYA MIA. This one I think is around the same price and includes the same as well. You can go to Nachi Cocum website. I called them. They will send you a confirmation. I gave them my debit card number, but they don't charge anything on it. You will pay cash when you arrive. The reason for the card number is they will charge you 15 percent if you don't show. It's that simple. The ride from the pier is about 15 minutes. You can easily grab a taxi and split the costs with other tourists! Usually runs about 5 bucks a person. You can message back here. I have lots of photos I can email you from Nachi!

SHARON

Sorry to Hijack thread, but I have a group that is going Cozumel in November. We have booked a day at Nachi and I would love to see photos!!!

Awesome! Sadly, we already booked a six day cruise that does not include Cozumel. I had to book because the sale prices were expiring that day. We are looking at a 2nd cruise with some friends around April. We have decided that Cozumel will be one of our ports since we won't get to see it this time. I'm sure that won't be hard to find since some of you have said that Cozumel is a very common port. I wish we were going there instead of Ocho Rios, but I do want to see the Falls, so hopefully all will go well there. Thanks so much for sharing your excitement. Photos would be awesome, but is it safe to put my email address on this forum? I don't care if you had it but I don't want gobs of spam etc.

You may not enjoy Ocho Rios. It is my least favorite port. Those people will haggle you like crazy!! Do not venture off alone anywhere while there!

Here's my email. I will gladly send you some photos! Send me an email. shazza_jade2003@yahoo.com

Sharon

Sorry to Hijack thread, but I have a group that is going Cozumel in November. We have booked a day at Nachi and I would love to see photos!!!

See above as well!!!

Sharon

I booked Nachi Cocum for my mom and I for our trip next month. We really want to enjoy a day at the beach but are not up for large crowds. We are so excited to be going. I would love to see some picture.

Just email like the others and I will send pics!!

Sharon

Archived