Ephesus rug factory stop on tour

Hello

Has anyone been on one of the Ephesus tours? I keep reading on different sites how most of them include a stop at a rug or ceramics factory, and include either " a nice visit" or a "pretty hard sell, that made me uncomfortable". With only 1 day in a historic place like ephesus, I dont think Im going to want to spend too much time trying to escape from a shop. We will do some shopping in town on our own also. While seeing how the rugs are made would be interesting and would be a nice look at an ancient art, Im the guy who will cross the street to avoid someone selling a time share. Just wondering how "hard sell" the stop is, and if its worth booking a private tour to avoid it. Thanks

In my case, on a Royal Caribbean ship tour, the rug store stop was at the end of the day and at a store very close to the ship. I simply informed the guide that I wasn't interested in going inside and would walk back to the ship. She tried to persuade me that I would enjoy it and I politely said "No Thank You" and handed her a tip for the day and walked away. I had enough time to walk around some before heading back to the port. I did hear from friends later on that the rug making demo was interesting to them and they didn't feel pressured to buy if they didn't show any interest. But if you start to show any interest, you should expect to be "sold to".

We took a private tour in Ephesus and the guide was insistent in taking us to the carpet demo. We went and the demo was quite interesting but we weren't interested in buying and they left us alone. Our friends showed interest and the vendor was working hard to seal the deal. In the end, we left without buying.

I did not find it to be a hard sell and would not go with a private tour to avoid them...

In my case, on a Royal Caribbean ship tour, the rug store stop was at the end of the day and at a store very close to the ship.

Agreed on both points. When the demo concluded and the selling began, I'd say there was one salesman for every passenger, pretty much. They want to sell you a rug. They will ship it for you. They will haggle on the price. But we politely said no thank you and were not pursued any further. They hear "No" more often than "Yes," I'm sure. Please do not worry about this. :)

While in Turkey on a land based vacation, our tour in Ephesus included the ceramic factory and carpet factory. Both were very informative. There was no hard sell. After the carpet making demostration and the display of some carpets we simply walked outside to wait for the rest of the group. I am glad I was exposed to both art forms.

It will only be a hard sell if you allow it to be a hard sell........

A polite " No " or even a statement like " its not my style at all" (this one I used as my decor would not accommodate a rug of this style) found me not really pursued at all.

Now dh - he loves Persian style carpets (he lived in Iran for a bit before the revolution) and he kept looking at them (mostly for his office) and he was definitely pursued - they even carried one out the door after him :D HA HA!

But they soon saw that the "wife" was a no-go and gave up.

So my point is, we enjoyed the demo and seeing the girls weave these beautiful rugs, enjoyed the presentation of rugs (they swirl them like Ali Babba) and the apple tea. It all took maybe 30 minutes and I am very glad we went. But once the "sell" part came I made it clear we would be a no sale.

Edited by texancruzer

Private tours often include rug demonstrations too unless you clearly specify you don't want this.

I knew our tour would have lunch at the rug hooking school. The outdoor lunch was good; seeing how the silk is spun and the rugs are made is very interesting. We got to sit in the display room as they showed us the various types of rugs. None of us was bought one and there was absolutely no hard sell.

I suspect the sales pitch doesn't differ that much, it's people's reactions to it that vary. I've had to attend several of the blasted events, and while I think it's a big time waster, I never felt there was a really hard sell. However, to have heard the talk on the bus afterwards, you'd think the rug merchant was holding a knife to the throat of some of my fellow captives, er, tour mates. :rolleyes:

I have issues with tours wasting my time at stops like these. I am always very clear when I book a private tour that there will be no rug factory, ceramic factory, leather factory, perfume factory, papyrus factory, cameo factory, wooden box factory or any of the other poorly veiled excuses for a kickback that the tours -- both ship and private -- try to foist on you.

I understand some people like them, but have never understood why they have to be included as part of a sightseeing tour. If people want to shop, offer a shopping tour.....!

A couple of comments. In Kusadasi, private tours are often less costly then the cruise line excursions and provide a lot more for your money. When it comes to the so-called ceramics, rug, or jewelry factories you have total control over whether you want these kind of things when you book your own private excursion. But the most important reason for a private excursion is that many of the cruise ship excursions do not include a visit to the Terrace Houses (we could right a long explanation of why) which are a real "do not miss" attraction for anyone going to the ruins at Ephesus.

Regarding the so-called factories while some of them are truly legit...many others are simply tourist traps often owned by the tour companies. In other cases the "factories" must pay a percentage of sales (kick backs) to the tour companies to get them to bring folks to the "factories." We once drove to a ceramics factory on our own (with a rental car) and they immediately dropped their prices (big time) since they did not have any other "expenses" related to our visit. Of course being Turkey this was all part of our negotiations :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I did not find it to be a hard sell and would not go with a private tour to avoid them (due to the cost). Simply don't enter the store and either walk or take a cab back to the ship.

We used a private tour last year (Celsus Travel), and it was much LESS expensive that the ship's tour. We also saw a lot more, and often beat the crowds.

And yes, they took us to a rug factory, because we gave them the okay to do so. It took about 45 minutes total, and we even made a small purchase. But if you just say "no"...there is no problem. I think people stress about these rug factory tours more than they should.

We used a private tour last year (Celsus Travel), and it was much LESS expensive that the ship's tour. We also saw a lot more, and often beat the crowds.

And yes, they took us to a rug factory, because we gave them the okay to do so. It took about 45 minutes total, and we even made a small purchase. But if you just say "no"...there is no problem. I think people stress about these rug factory tours more than they should.

Thank you for the information about reasonable private tours. We were in this area a couple of months ago -- it wasn't just about a rug factory in Kusadasi, but in other ports as well (Istanbul for instance). After one rug factory, I don't want to see another for a while:)

Thank you all very much for taking the time to reply. I feel much better now about whatever decision we make regarding which tour to take.

As many have recommended, we will definitely include the Terrace Houses, and probably pick one of the private tours.

Is there an area on CC that allows for people to try and hook up with others to share a semi private tour?

Is there an area on CC that allows for people to try and hook up with others to share a semi private tour?

You'd need to go onto the Roll Call for your cruise and post your question there. Good chance you'll get some takers.

I suspect the sales pitch doesn't differ that much, it's people's reactions to it that vary. I've had to attend several of the blasted events, and while I think it's a big time waster, I never felt there was a really hard sell.

I agree it is not something I would want to see multiple times and if I had already seen the demonstrations at a carpet factory I too would say it was big time waster. But seeing for the first time how they get the silk off the cocoons or how they weave the rugs was highly entertaining and educational for me.

For anyone that has not seen such a demonstration, I would recommend making the stop.

Bill

I agree it is not something I would want to see multiple times and if I had already seen the demonstrations at a carpet factory I too would say it was big time waster. But seeing for the first time how they get the silk off the cocoons or how they weave the rugs was highly entertaining and educational for me.

For anyone that has not seen such a demonstration, I would recommend making the stop.

Bill

I dunno, maybe. I grew up with Oriental rugs and I think I knew about the cocoons and the looms when I was just a kid....I read all kinds of stuff. (I also remember my 4th grade teacher insisting I had plagiarized a report on ancient Egypt because I couldn't POSSIBLY know what a canopic jar was. He insisted I tell him in front of the class. I did. ;))

Anyway, I wasn't impressed with even the first time. It's so obviously staged. I guess I am just lacking the gene! :o

I dunno, maybe. I grew up with Oriental rugs and I think I knew about the cocoons and the looms when I was just a kid....I read all kinds of stuff. (I also remember my 4th grade teacher insisting I had plagiarized a report on ancient Egypt because I couldn't POSSIBLY know what a canopic jar was. He insisted I tell him in front of the class. I did. ;))

Anyway, I wasn't impressed with even the first time. It's so obviously staged. I guess I am just lacking the gene! :o

:D Sounds like you already knew all about the process before you went the first time so I can understand how you find it boring.

Bill

We used Ephesus Deluxe (excellent, and great prices) in both Istanbul and Ephesus. We stopped at carpet factories both places. Neither was hard sell. I enjoyed the one in Ephesus, which included a nice lunch, more, probably because it was in a more rural, relaxed setting.

We could have refused the carpet factories, but in each case they were kind of a nice place to rest and recover, with drinks provided, after touring.

Probably 30 minutes or less out of each day, not counting the meal.

If I had to do it over, I would have gone to the rug factory, seen how they are made etc. but I would NOT go downstairs.... thats where the hard sell begins.

When you want to leave, we had to go through a MAZE of booths selling silver etc.

I'd just go to the demo, then walk outside, go into the shops from the exit, look around and then held back to the van!

Of course if I'd had tons of money.... I would have loved to buy a rug... they are beautiful!

If I had to do it over, I would have gone to the rug factory, seen how they are made etc. but I would NOT go downstairs.... thats where the hard sell begins.

When you want to leave, we had to go through a MAZE of booths selling silver etc.

I'd just go to the demo, then walk outside, go into the shops from the exit, look around and then held back to the van!

Of course if I'd had tons of money.... I would have loved to buy a rug... they are beautiful!

The place that Ekol Travel took us to was a co-op and just one floor. Outside they showed us the silk cocoon work and the weaving. Inside we sat and they gave us drinks (anything from apple tea to hard liquor). Then they rolled out various carpets and tolds about how they were made, what materials, etc. Then told us shipping to the US was free and that was about it, nobody bought anything but we thanked them for the time. I opted for the liquor :o, forgot the name of it but I think the lights took on a bit of a rainbow effect after drinking it. :D

7281396168_9028778819.jpg

Silk cocoons

Never been to Ephesus, but we're going there this fall. Are the rugs really expensive?

To me, yes. Thousands of dollars for a rug of good quality and larger size. There were some smaller or of less quality in the hundreds. Beautiful, though.

The rugs range anywhere from tribal type kilim type rugs to rich silk oriental type rugs.

The more threads per inch = the more expensive.

We were taken to a government co-op. They offer the girls of the nearby villages the opportunity to come and learn how to make the rugs. This provides income for them, a trade and then the co-op sells the rugs. The one we were taken to was about 2/3 of the way to Ephesus from Kusadasi. We enjoyed seeing the whole process and having them show us the rugs......

I agree that you will pay thousands for a good quality and larger size but be aware that bargaining is expected. DH bargained for one and they came down about half ....... we didn't buy tho since I am not particularly fond of those type of rugs. Just not going to fit into my home's decor. But they have some really beautiful wall hanging rugs that were in the 200-300-400 dollar range.

My husband and I used Ephesus Shuttle for our private tour of the ruins. (Very reasonable and extremely well done). After leaving the ruins, our guide asked if we wanted to go to a rug factory. Having already seen one in Egypt, we declined and he accepted our decision graciously. That's the nice thing about a private tour...you can do what you want.