Newbie questions

SeaBunny

We're seriously thinking of booking Oceania but after reading a few reviews, I have questions:

What is the drinks package and is it a decent value?

Are there charges for the hands-on cooking classes and/or the art classes? And, what kinda of art classes are they?

I've seen complaints about limited opening times for the various restaurants and that there is no food service (snacks type) in between other than room service. Is that accurate?

Would you book excursions with Oceania or go independent?

The trip we're interested in is so enticing I doubt the answers we get -- regardless -- will keep us from booking. But I would like to know what to expect.

Thanks to all!

We're seriously thinking of booking Oceania but after reading a few reviews, I have questions:

What is the drinks package and is it a decent value? Depends what you consider a decent value

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/restaurants/beveragepackages.aspx

Are there charges for the hands-on cooking classes and/or the art classes? And, what kinda of art classes are they? YES for the Culinary centre the artist loft I do not think so

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/bonappetit.aspx

I've seen complaints about limited opening times for the various restaurants and that there is no food service (snacks type) in between other than room service. Is that accurate?

Thanks to all!

Breakfast is 6:30 to 10 am someplace on the ship

Horizons have coffee, tea & pastries to 11 am

baristas is open from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm has small sandwiches as well as cookies

Waves is open from 11:30am to 4pm

Lunch is 12 -2pm

Afternoon tea is 4-5 pm

Happy Hour with nibbles is 5-6Pm

Dinner is 6:30 to 9:30pm

Sorry you will have to order room service from 9:30pm to 6:30 am if you still need a snack:rolleyes:

Q) What is the drinks package and is it a decent value?

A) Basic answer: $30 per day = Beer & Wine only, $50 per day = All Inclusive. We thought that the All Inclusive Package was a terrific value.

Q) Are there charges for the hands-on cooking classes and/or the art classes? And, what kinda of art classes are they?

A) There is a charge for the cooking classes (generally in the area of $50 per person per session) but there is no extra charge for the Art Classes which are normally things like teeshirt design, digital photography workshops, watercolor technique etc. .

Q) I've seen complaints about limited opening times for the various restaurants and that there is no food service (snacks type) in between other than room service. Is that accurate?

A) No, the Restaurant opening and closing times are virtually identical to every other cruise line that I have ever sailed.

Q) Would you book excursions with Oceania or go independent?

A) We have done both, it really depends on what you are looking for in an excursion

Believe me, there is plenty of food and sodas and water are included. they have a nice happy hour from 5-6pm. On our trip I booked both private and Oceania excursions and I thought Oceania did an excellent job. Depending on what the excursions are (for instance, overnights) it is more cost effective for private excursions but for your regular day excursions sometimes the price isn't that much different. Book your cruise. Oceania is awesome and I can't wait to sail with them again.

Thanks to you both. Very helpful.

I had a feeling the complaint about restricted food service was bogus. ha ha

You will never go hungry unless you choose to ;)

Take some stretchy clothes for the return trip home :D

enjoy

Lyn

I always prefer private tours to ships' tours. I like to set my own agenda, I hate buses and I prefer not to have to wait for the inevitable stragglers who lose all sense of time. And most of the time it is not any amore expensive, sometimes less.

It has all been answered, but just to pile on a little, I'll add a couple of notes...

Availability of food is not really a problem...If by "limited openings", you are talking about the Specialty restaurants, then, yes, for those, it haelps to have reservations--which will be for a specific time...You get a certain number of advance reservations depending on what category cabin you are in--and a priority as to when you can make the reservation...but, we did not find that to be a material problem...and were even able to add additional reservations...Unlike on most cruise lines, those restaurants are at no additional charge...But, don't worry, the food EVERYWHERE on board is excellent! You won't go hungry!

As to shore excursions versus private tours, it really depends on the port...and it is really the same on ALL cruise lines...

Sometimes, a shore excursion is the best way to go...In some ports, there is a limited number of private tour companies and they are expensive...In other ports, you have a variety of good choices...In some ports, where port hours are limited, it often makes sense to go with the shorex...

But, small group private tours usually assure you of a little better experience--small number versus a big bus--which tends to slow things down and limits where you can go...You can personalize the itinerary...You have easier access to your guide...The price isn't always a "bargain" compared to a shorex as some think...pricing really depends on the port and the number in your group...but, it it the quality of the tour that is the reason to try to make it work...I would suggest going to the Roll Call Thread for your cruise and seeing if you can pair up with others to form a group or to join a group...In most ports it takes at least 6 or 8 people to make the pricing make sense--but this varies...and that's a good number for keeping things easy...

Good luck...

Q) What is the drinks package and is it a decent value?

A) Basic answer: $30 per day = Beer & Wine only, $50 per day = All Inclusive. We thought that the All Inclusive Package was a terrific value.

Q) Are there charges for the hands-on cooking classes and/or the art classes? And, what kinda of art classes are they?

A) There is a charge for the cooking classes (generally in the area of $50 per person per session) but there is no extra charge for the Art Classes which are normally things like teeshirt design, digital photography workshops, watercolor technique etc. .

Q) I've seen complaints about limited opening times for the various restaurants and that there is no food service (snacks type) in between other than room service. Is that accurate?

A) No, the Restaurant opening and closing times are virtually identical to every other cruise line that I have ever sailed.

Q) Would you book excursions with Oceania or go independent?

A) We have done both, it really depends on what you are looking for in an excursion

Hi

is that $50 each? Or could one person buy the package and have just one bottle of wine with dinner and share it with their partner?

regards

Josie. BTW are drinks cheaper during "Happy Hour" Could we get a glass of wine and take it into dinner with us? we don't want to lower the tone!!!!!!!;)

Don't think the package includes bottles of wine, but I am sure someone on this board will have the answer.

Package does not include bottles of wine. It is wine by the glass.

Just another opinion on the drinks package - it isn't a "deal" for everyone. We don't drink enough to make it worthwhile and I don't have any problem signing little chits for it. For wine, we buy a bottle of red and a bottle of white and have a glass or 2 at lunch and/or dinner until it is gone and replace it. It is available at every dining venue and works well for us. We occasionally have a cocktail, but it isn't a daily thing. I figure I would have to buy 4-5 drinks a day to make it worthwhile (per person) and that just doesn't happen.

Just another opinion on the drinks package - it isn't a "deal" for everyone. We don't drink enough to make it worthwhile and I don't have any problem signing little chits for it. For wine, we buy a bottle of red and a bottle of white and have a glass or 2 at lunch and/or dinner until it is gone and replace it. It is available at every dining venue and works well for us. We occasionally have a cocktail, but it isn't a daily thing. I figure I would have to buy 4-5 drinks a day to make it worthwhile (per person) and that just doesn't happen.

Yes, but how wonderful that the folks who are so incensed about being "nickled and dimed" can finally shut their.......er.....have another option! :rolleyes:

Yes, but how wonderful that the folks who are so incensed about being "nickled and dimed" can finally shut their.......er.....have another option! :rolleyes:

Jim, you do make me laugh!!!

Jancruz1

I agree. We are anything but teatotalers. There may be days that we will drink $100 but we certainly will not do that most days. And unless we were to average more than $100 per day the package does not make sense for us. When we do spend a lot on alcohol it is usually because we have bought a nice bottle of wine and I do not think that these higher priced wines are available on the package. Also, I really don't mind signing the chits.

Steve

Why buy good champagne by the glass - just buy the bottle! LOL

Yes, it is wonderful that we can all do our own thing especially on a lovely cruise. If we didn't have a wedding to pay for this fall - I would be counting the days to our next cruise. Looking forward to at least one in 2013.

I agree. We are anything but teatotalers. There may be days that we will drink $100 but we certainly will not do that most days. And unless we were to average more than $100 per day the package does not make sense for us. When we do spend a lot on alcohol it is usually because we have bought a nice bottle of wine and I do not think that these higher priced wines are available on the package. Also, I really don't mind signing the chits.

Steve

Same here. I'd have to plan on getting sloppy drunk every night in order to make the all inclusive option worth it to me. My head the next day thinks that is a bad idea.

Have not yet tried Oceania, but cruising friends love it. We are used to the all-inclusive concept (Seabourn etc.) and hate the idea of signing for drinks, remembering to whom you 'owe' a drink etc. Can anyone tell me how the drinks package works at the point of delivery - do you have to wear a bracelet, have a card to show, or what?

Also I have read that Oceania might be going all-inclusive. An ad. we have just received suggests this may be next year? Also, do you tip or is that included?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Have not yet tried Oceania, but cruising friends love it. We are used to the all-inclusive concept (Seabourn etc.) and hate the idea of signing for drinks, remembering to whom you 'owe' a drink etc. Can anyone tell me how the drinks package works at the point of delivery - do you have to wear a bracelet, have a card to show, or what?

Also I have read that Oceania might be going all-inclusive. An ad. we have just received suggests this may be next year? Also, do you tip or is that included?

When you purchase the all day drink package, you are issued a new cruise card with BIB printed on it. You give the card to the waiter and they ring it up and just hand the card back to you. Nothing to sign and you DO

NOT receive a receipt. When you purchase the package, the gratuity is included in the purchase price.

I personally do not think that Oceania is going all-inclusive. What you can see Oceania doing is offering packages, like the drink package, that you can choose to purchase or not. If you purchase all the offered packages you will eventually have an all-inclusive cruise. They have just recently added excursion packages with a discount if you purchase a certain number of excursions, an all day internet package and the drink package. By offering these packages, those that want an all-inclusive cruise can have it by paying additional for those items that they want and those that don't want a specific amenity will not have to pay for it. I think it is great. On our transatlantic cruise we purchased the drink package and then on the Riviera maiden voyage we did not since it was a more port intensive cruise and we had reserved La Reserve for dinner one night and were guests at Privee on two other nights. The options are great.

With respect to the cruise gratuity, it is added to your final bill. Many travel agents do offer complimentary gratuities.

Do you have a link for the AD?

The way I understand it (I could be wrong)

If you buy someone a drink you will be charged for it & billed to your onboard account

Only those with the drink package will be entitled to unlimited drinks

Lyn

Archived