Is the end near for D+ CL access

I could not agree more. I proposed a seperate area simply for suite versus non suite guests. Much like Labadee implements (with some improvemnts of course). Suite guests should have the privledge of an entire seperate area regardless of Crown and Anchor level. It's quite simple really.

May I ask why.

May I ask why.

By all means. For the same reason why aircraft have dedicated first class restricted areas, luxury hotels have first class floors and resorts have first class areas.

Privacy, luxury and exclusivity. There is no malice or contempt towards non suite (or second/third class) passengers. I simply wouldn't normally socialize with them outside of the cruise. Why should I be forced to on a cruise? I don't shop at the "marts" : Wal, K, etc... because I chose not to be in that environment. If you chose to do so then that is fantastic as that is your choice. Same scenario applies to cruising. Although I feel we more than likely will transition to a line at some point more suited to our ideas.

May I ask why you feel all classes should be homogenized?

I could not agree more. I proposed a seperate area simply for suite versus non suite guests. Much like Labadee implements (with some improvemnts of course). Suite guests should have the privledge of an entire seperate area regardless of Crown and Anchor level. It's quite simple really.

Could you lose the giant signature please?

By all means. For the same reason why aircraft have dedicated first class restricted areas, luxury hotels have first class floors and resorts have first class areas.

Privacy, luxury and exclusivity. There is no malice or contempt towards non suite (or second/third class) passengers. I simply wouldn't normally socialize with them outside of the cruise. Why should I be forced to on a cruise? I don't shop at the "marts" : Wal, K, etc... because I chose not to be in that environment. If you chose to do so then that is fantastic as that is your choice. Same scenario applies to cruising. Although I feel we more than likely will transition to a line at some point more suited to our ideas.

Are you serious? yer bringin the lol's tonite.

I had a friend visiting watch the video a couple times and asked her what she thought thought "Suites having Conciege Access" implied. She has NEVER been on a cruise.

She said "So anyone in a Suite gets Concierge Lounge access, cool I guess"? If you take the video at face value, that would mean "anyone" in a suite would get Concierge Access. We all know that RCCL isn't going to let Junior Suites into the Concierge Lounge.

Lots of reading between the lines happeing here. Pure speculation. Unless I see something in writing from RCCL, I expect the programs the current programs to remain in place.

We are new D+ members as of Dec 2011. We were among the D members that were booted from the CLounge. So I do feel that I can worry that we will again be booted from the Clounge. As of now the only ships where that would be a problem are the Oasis and Allure - the Clounges are much nicer than the DLounges. The pessimist in me thinks that the Diamond Lounges will have downgraded liquor brands and snacks in some distant future. I would hope that there will be some 'grandfathering' if there is another boot from the CL.

And for the poster who wants to be special - book Grill Class on Cunard.

We are new D+ members as of Dec 2011. We were among the D members that were booted from the CLounge. So I do feel that I can worry that we will again be booted from the Clounge. As of now the only ships where that would be a problem are the Oasis and Allure - the Clounges are much nicer than the DLounges. The pessimist in me thinks that the Diamond Lounges will have downgraded liquor brands and snacks in some distant future. I would hope that there will be some 'grandfathering' if there is another boot from the CL.

I don't think you can go much lower than La Terre wine. And the hard liquor brands are pretty basic in most of the CL's, too. As for snacks, although I enjoy them, I wouldn't complain if RCI would help me keep off the 26 pounds I've lost since they abandoned the West Coast.

Poopbag, I get your desire not to mingle with hoi polloi, but I think that exhorting RCI to implement a class system would be a bit Sisyphusian (sp). It simply isn't their model, nor is it the model for most of the mass market lines (NCL with their villas perhaps being the exception). Cunard, Regent, Crystal, Silversea, all might better suit your needs, with of course the attendant price tag.:)

We are d+ members and it took us a long time to get there!

We have exclusively sailed with Rccl to achieve this.

We enjoy the CL and other perks.

We probably would had sailed with other cruise lines if it wasn't worth it to achieve this goal!

I completely agree with your take. Pinnacle wasn't mentioned having access to the Cl either so does that mean they don't?

1) There are very few Pinnacle members, and 2) Pinnacle members have been on so many cruises they don't need a video to tell them about new ship features. So, I doubt RC sees any need to mention Pinnacle in the video; they aren't the target market.

I prefer not to worry unnecessarily about things that may or may not happen in the future. Fatalism is not my bag.

Que séra, séra.

I agree, and additionally, I prefer not to worry about something that really wouldn't make a significant difference to me even if it does happen. So I get my happy hour cocktail in the DL, instead of deciding whether to get it in the DL or the CL. Big deal.

Takes me back to the fifties and sixties and the argument about "Separate but Equal". Don't think this situation will reach the 9 Justices but it sure sounds like a similar position.;)

Apples and oranges. The CL/DL debate is about how you reward loyalty vs. how you reward booking an expensive cabin. There are two perk-worthy scenarios that are truly different from each other, :rolleyes:and if RC wants to reward them differently, it is nothing like the "separate but equal" discrimination of the 50's and 60's.

I don't have a dog in this fight; don't stay in suites, can't picture myself cruising RCI enough to get to D+, but I've never understood why anyone would pay to book a suite on Royal:confused:. There are so few " benefits" that it is simply not a good value, and other lines offer so many more tangible and intangible benefits, like private areas, pools, and dining. If they are going to offer suites to paying customers (and not just use them to reward loyal customers and whales) they have to compete with other mass market lines.

Whether this ad means they are moving towards that...I don't know. Since the new "Oasis" izing of their fleet didnt include more suite areas, ( such as pools, suite level dining rooms and deck areas) this could be evidence that it's not their priority at all and your CL is safe for another day;)

I don't have a dog in this fight; don't stay in suites, can't picture myself cruising RCI enough to get to D+, but I've never understood why anyone would pay to book a suite on Royal:confused:. There are so few " benefits" that it is simply not a good value, and other lines offer so many more tangible and intangible benefits, like private areas, pools, and dining. If they are going to offer suites to paying customers (and not just use them to reward loyal customers and whales) they have to compete with other mass market lines.

Whether this ad means they are moving towards that...I don't know. Since the new "Oasis" izing of their fleet didnt include more suite areas, ( such as pools, suite level dining rooms and deck areas) this could be evidence that it's not their priority at all and your CL is safe for another day;)

Suites are nice places to live for a week, that's the reason!

I completely agree with SHICHIDAN. There is absolutely nothing wrong with entirely separate areas for suite passengers. Dining venues, decks, pools, spas, lounges, etc...

Why would anyone even have an issue with that? After all "they" could simply cruise elsewhere just as I could if I felt that strongly about "mixed class" venues.

As far as being seperate from RCCL's "most loyal cruisers" : I honestly don't care as I most likely wouldn't socialize with them outside of the cruising enviroment. In the end though I really feel the CL being restricted to suite passengers only would be a great (albeit unpopular) start.

Of course RCCL would most likely never implement that as they are too mainstream.

Save your money on the suites and buy your own "Yacht". That way you wouldn't have to "socialize" with the rest of us that can't afford to. ;)

Unfortunately I can see why someone would pay to book a suite - SPACE. The extra space in a JS was nice but that walk in closet was the 'deal breaker' for me. I don't think I can go back to a regular balcony cabin now.

We bring all our scuba gear with us which normally gets piled on the couch rendering it useless for seating. With that walk in closet we were able to store everything in the closet and I was still able to use it as a 'dressing room'. And we were finally able to enjoy the cabin and not just be stuck sitting on our beds.

You already have entire separate area regardless of C&A level. It is called... your cabin.:eek:

Same here. We also became D+ December 2011 and also were booted out of the concierge lounge shortly after becoming D.

Therefore, if history repeats itself we will be booted out of the concierge lounge as well. I just hope it happens AFTER our November Allure cruise so we can get one time in. I think we got 1 time in the concierge lounge after we made D as well:rolleyes::)

Actually, you are the one who introduced the idea of "class" into the discussion. RCI does not have classes. They have suite, balcony, ocean view, and inside cabins. You are the one who has introduced first, second, and third class into RCI's passenger structure. And how you further connect where people shop with what cabin category they book is going right over my head.

Unfortunately I can see why someone would pay to book a suite - SPACE. The extra space in a JS was nice but that walk in closet was the 'deal breaker' for me. I don't think I can go back to a regular balcony cabin now.

We bring all our scuba gear with us which normally gets piled on the couch rendering it useless for seating. With that walk in closet we were able to store everything in the closet and I was still able to use it as a 'dressing room'. And we were finally able to enjoy the cabin and not just be stuck sitting on our beds.

I don't consider a Jr suite a suite anyway- it doesn't qualify for any " suite" benefits, and they are not usually priced significantly more than the best balcony cabins. But maybe that's just me!

Suites are nice places to live for a week, that's the reason!

yes, I've seen reviews where people react that way...like "oh , wow, this is the greatest place we've ever stayed", so I guess if that cabin is a significant upgrade to the way you live the other 51 weeks, I can see where it could be worth it to those folks. I think that's part of the appeal of mass market cruises for many...you get to live like that for a week...having someone clean your home, serve your meals etc etc. I read it all the time in reviews!:D

I don't consider a Jr suite a suite anyway- it doesn't qualify for any " suite" benefits, and they are not usually priced significantly more than the best balcony cabins. But maybe that's just me!

yes, I've seen reviews where people react that way...like "oh , wow, this is the greatest place we've ever stayed", so I guess if that cabin is a significant upgrade to the way you live the other 51 weeks, I can see where it could be worth it to those folks. I think that's part of the appeal of mass market cruises for many...you get to live like that for a week...having someone clean your home, serve your meals etc etc. I read it all the time in reviews!:D

You are correct. Other than priority boarding there are no perks with a JS just extra space. You are not correct in that the price for our JS, for 2 of us, cost about a thousand dollars more than the balcony. In my world that is significantly more, your world maybe not so much. But it was soooo worth it!

Archived