New bag delivery servie from AA

dakrewser

American Airlines has announced a new bag delivery service. Unlike other such services, you bring your bags with you and check them in, then the airline delivers them to you within 40 miles of the arriving airport in under 4 hours. Cost is $30 for 1st bag, $40 for 2 bags and $50 for up to 10 bags.

Good deal? Or too close to missing the boat?

American Airlines has announced a new bag delivery service. Unlike other such services, you bring your bags with you and check them in, then the airline delivers them to you within 40 miles of the arriving airport in under 4 hours. Cost is $30 for 1st bag, $40 for 2 bags and $50 for up to 10 bags.

I guess that would depend on available flight arrival times.

I guess the big question is would they deliver them to Pier XX at the port, or just to say YYY hotel, with a given street address. Delivering them to the pier might work, but has it's risks. Personally, I would like to know our bags arrived at the destination city, or be able to lean on the airline right away. Not 4 hours later.

On the other hand, the story I saw talked about delivering them to your home. As we live more than 40 miles away.... oh well.

Is this fee in addition to other already existing bag fees? Getting a little expensive.

The fee is in addition to other bag fees.

Delivery beyond 40 miles (up to 100 mles) is available for an additional $1/mile.

Only domestic airports now (about 200 of them) but international sites coming soon.

No signature required on delivery, so delivery to a port should be possible.

Supossedly the delivery is by some outfit called Bags Vip, but I can't find a web site for them.

No way.......

In a perfect world if we knew we could count on them arriving as promised, sounds great.

My world isn't perfect and I would not take the chance.

I don't want to hear the 'so sad, so sorry' excuses that possibly could take the place of our bags being delivered.

HAL has a program called VIP Express, I think, for $39 debarking. You put your bags in the hall night before arrival and they are delivered to your home the next day. Don't know specifics about distance from home airport, and I believe it includes boarding pass; don't think it includes airline luggage fee.

We fly to Amsterdam soon. Would love to take the train to town as it is inexpensive and quicker than any other transportation. Our hotel is right next to the train station.

However, we would have a difficult time with 2 large peices of luggage. as husband recently had shoulder surgery. Going to Amsterdam 2 days before the cruise so would feel confident about receiving our luggage.

We fly to Amsterdam soon. Would love to take the train to town as it is inexpensive and quicker than any other transportation. Our hotel is right next to the train station.

However, we would have a difficult time with 2 large peices of luggage. as husband recently had shoulder surgery. Going to Amsterdam 2 days before the cruise so would feel confident about receiving our luggage.

It wouldn't be that inexpensive if you had to pay $40 for the bags and then the train fare. It would probably be comparable to a taxi fare.

I heard about this on TV this morning.

I think it's a service that could catch on. Maybe more airlines should give it a try. We don't fly AA, so it is pretty useless to us.

Best of luck to AA on this experiment.

On my 14 day Alaska Cruise I used HAL's VIP Express which was available for disembarking in Seattle. I was cruising solo on the Amsterdam and have a mobility issue. It was WONDERFUL! A lot of airlines were participating. I happened to be traveling on Alaska Airlines. It was $39.99 (that fee did not include the baggage charge from the airline) but for me it was well worth the cost. It also included my boarding pass which was delivered to my room. I put my bag out the night before, along with everyone else. My bag was delivered to my home approx. 45 minutes after I arrived. There is a mileage limit from the airport but I cannot remember what it was. I live approx. 45 miles from the airport. It is absolutely great for people who can't, or do not wish to, manhandle their luggage. I know nothing about the service to the ship. Never saw any information on that.

I like SouthWest where "the bags fly free."

Once AA lost my bag on a flight back from Europe. Quite frankly, I was delighted. I was so tired--all I had to do was hop a cab without wrestling a big bag! Next day at 10:00 AM my bag was delivered. So I can definitely understand why people might want to use VIP Express. In fact, I'm trying to talk my SIL into using it, but her mind is boggled about receiving it the next day. Thanks for your anecdote about receiving it same day, Califlady.

• 6 months later...

Archived