CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

Not to be argumentative but do you have a source for that info? Curious only.

simple guzintas, my dear mar56.

only $9.50 of the $11.50 goes to your service staff.

now, if you disburse that $11.50 how you see fit, making sure at least $5.80 goes to your dining staff, and $3.70 goes to your room steward, they will get all of it. $6.80 and $4.70 makes the most sense.

If you believe 100% of the auto tips are going to the staff then I've got a ponzi scheme to talk to you about. Guarantee a lot of that money is finding its way to CCL's general expense accounts. I'd much rather tip cash and put it right where it belongs...in the hands of those staff who go above and beyond to make my holiday enjoyable.

And you know this how???????

I am all for cruise fares to rise so that staff get a proper wage realistically we are already paying higher fares because of the gratuities it all comes from our pockets therfore we are paying already.

What would be interesting is if the cruise companies did it this way would the service be the same i would think not because staff will be paid a wage good service or not.

But then you really could tip above and beyond for good service the way it should be.

. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change!

sure....just like boycotting walmart gets them a union and a raise :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

While I certainly respect your opinion, mine is just the opposite. I don't mind at all the prepaid tips, we just give extra tips to the employees that have been extra helpful at the end of the cruise. I figure if we can afford to cruise, I can certainly afford a couple of hundred dollars for the hard working employees.

I'm with you on this one! I have been working my tail bone off in the same job for 9 years, it's in the arts, another area that people spend money in not out of necessity but by choice, just like cruising. I don't get tips, nor have we had a cost of living raise in 7 years. My customers think I do this job for free. Mentality is the same everywhere when it comes to people who service people. So for those who go above and beyond, and sometimes that just means a smile and hello. Someone who gets me that second dessert.:D I will tip extra!

While I certainly respect your opinion, mine is just the opposite. I don't mind at all the prepaid tips, we just give extra tips to the employees that have been extra helpful at the end of the cruise. I figure if we can afford to cruise, I can certainly afford a couple of hundred dollars for the hard working employees.

I agree with this totally. I consider prepaid tips just another part of cruising. I've never had a bad cruise, so will reward its employees as I see fit which includes extra for excellent service. (I've never received less than 5 star service) I don't sweat the small stuff.

If they paid normal (to us) wages, cruise prices would double immediately. I for one, couldn't afford to cruise at that price. I like this system better.

Before you wonder why, there are usually over 1500 crewmembers to provide higher wages for, they all do something for us. thats a whopping huge amount if their wages went up. Or were you just thinking about the 3 or 5 that you have contact with? thought so.

Oh goody, a tipping thread! Kind of a nice break from the "Faster To The Fun" threads. Has anyone's opinion about tipping ever changed based on one of these discussions?

Not in the recorded history of Cruise Critic, but people will continue to demand everyone else accept their point of view and adapt accordingly.

It's part of what makes these board so entertiaining.

yup.

once carnival started taking my tip money and channeled it to pay for salary inceases for staff members that are not in the service industry, no more "convenient" auto tipping for me.

i will be paying cash directly to the staff assigned to me, who will say thank you when i hand it to them.

I thought you didn't even cruise Carnival anymore since everything they do is bad.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

yup.

once carnival started taking my tip money and channeled it to pay for salary inceases for staff members that are not in the service industry, no more "convenient" auto tipping for me.

i will be paying cash directly to the staff assigned to me, who will say thank you when i hand it to them.

And, who cooked for you? Who laudered your towels and sheets? Who washed those dishes? Who brought the linens to your steward so he/she could make your bed? Those behind the scenes people make the steward look good, the cooks and dishwasers make your server look good.

So, why neglect them?

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Next cruise, I am going to cancel the tips and reward the deserving staff directly. Now some of you are going to howl "what about the dishwashers and other crew members you don't come in contact with". That's just my point. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

One of the other 147 tipping threads wasn't appropriate to comment on?

You also said good bye to Carnival last month. So you don't have to worry about their tipping policy anymore.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

And, who cooked for you? Who laudered your towels and sheets? Who washed those dishes? Who brought the linens to your steward so he/she could make your bed? Those behind the scenes people make the steward look good, the cooks and dishwasers make your server look good.

So, why neglect them?

are you joking? these are not service industry positions. they are full salaried positions.

service industry positions are those that are paid below scale, and are augmented by tips.

cooks, dish washers and laundry washers are laughing right now. you won't see tip mentioned once in their salary plan for employment.

and more to your point, these people's salary come out of something called my fare, not tips.

So, why neglect them?

Those people aren't in jobs that normally get tips (in the real world) Does a dish washer in a restaurant back home get tips? I think not. I don't get tips. Not everyone get tips in their job. More and more people think they should get tips. Not true. The only people that you should tip on a cruise are wait staff and room steward. THAT'S IT. Everyone else should get a fair salary.

On the other hand if Carnival raised rates and said no tipping people would still tip and wait staff would expect it, then your cruise would be even more.

No real solution, just do what you think is fair.

If you believe 100% of the auto tips are going to the staff then I've got a ponzi scheme to talk to you about. Guarantee a lot of that money is finding its way to CCL's general expense accounts. I'd much rather tip cash and put it right where it belongs...in the hands of those staff who go above and beyond to make my holiday enjoyable.

Can you prove that or is it your opinion ? Just dig a little deeper in those Long, Deep Pockets and think about the service you are given. No service no tip, Exceptional Service additional dollars.... It's a vacation enjoy it.

Those people aren't in jobs that normally get tips (in the real world) Does a dish washer in a restaurant back home get tips? I think not. I don't get tips. Not everyone get tips in their job. More and more people think they should get tips. Not true. The only people that you should tip on a cruise are wait staff and room steward. THAT'S IT. Everyone else should get a fair salary.

On the other hand if Carnival raised rates and said no tipping people would still tip and wait staff would expect it, then your cruise would be even more.

No real solution, just do what you think is fair.

Dishwashers (on land, back home) get paid minimum wage. Waitstaff get much less, since it is expected they will receive tips.

I don't tip extra at land based all inclusives. If cruise lines raised fares and said "no tipping", I wouldn't.

I'm confused, don't almost all cruise lines have prepaid gratuities? Why is OP so mad at Carnival? This is not new, they aren't doing anything different from everybody else. Also it is not like Carnival makes you open your wallet in front of them and pay before boarding the ship. They give you the choice to prepay, pay as you go or (for some) not pay at all. So why all the anger?

I'm confused, don't almost all cruise lines have prepaid gratuities? Why is OP so mad at Carnival? This is not new, they aren't doing anything different from everybody else. Also it is not like Carnival makes you open your wallet in front of them and pay before boarding the ship. They give you the choice to prepay, pay as you go or (for some) not pay at all. So why all the anger?

pre-paid is only there if you elect to do so.

the issue is the increase of tips. 50 cents of the increase went to cover the direct service staff. one dollar per person per day was added to pay for entertainment, hotel staff, and guest services to augment a salary increase.

I don't tip extra at land based all inclusives. .

I do.... That dollar I tip in Cancun seems to get me drinks, served to me @ the pool, real quick:D I even had one girl bring my drink while in the pool. I dint ask her to do that but wasnt complianing:p

I do.... That dollar I tip in Cancun seems to get me drinks, served to me @ the pool, real quick:D I even had one girl bring my drink while in the pool. I dint ask her to do that but wasnt compliaing:p

i don't think we've even touched on bartender and server tips, which is a class unto itself.

Archived