CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

This is from my cruise in 2010 on the Carnival Splendor or better known as The Swine Flu Cruise. That was the reason for the tips being removed by alot of people on this cruise. Not myself.

It was because of this photo that things have changed.

So which is it? Did you cruise on the Splendor in 2009 or did you just make this up?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I remember that. But that was also when we ate three meals a day in the dining room and there weren't so many choices of dining venues that the waiters must rotate around. I think the new system is fair to those waiters who I may not come into contact with' date=' but are working to keep the buffet running, etc.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Totally agree with this. As I am just of the Magic, the lines of people waiting for food in the outside barbq and the sandwich bar had no cash on them to pay those folks, especially the ones out in the heat making and serving the burgers and dogs.

Do rcl cruisers complain about their policies? Or do they just come here to complain?

who is a RCL cruiser.. and what is that?? Someone else brought up RCL and I replied.... and you who have no interest in RCL felt compelled to bring up RCL again?? hey whatever floats your boat.

So who came here to complain about RCL tipping policies, I didnt see anyone?.. or do you have rules confused with complaining.. I stated a rule.. I could care less about tipping policies as I do auto tipping on both. Sure doesnt make a difference to me. I think auto tipping is fair and wish that other lines would make it like NCL and call it a service charge and make it harder to remove.

PS I dont know if you look at signatures.. but my TA out of the UK is flying over to throw a party on Conquest the week before I am on Magic and I had been saying no thanks.. no, my parents need me and caved.. .. sharing a free balcony for a week on Conquest, big party, open bar, free steak restaurant he is paying for. and a contest and other events.. I had to meet him after all this time.

I am giving up my nonrefundable hotel room in Galveston Sept 30th, and getting off conquest in NOLA on the 30th, and going to drive like the wind to get on Magic the day I get off conquest after all.. just added it to my signature about 30 minutes ago.

Is it me you are calling the RCL cruiser.. one more on Carnival I couldnt resist. To call me a RCL cruiser, with that many Carnival cruises booked .. hahhahahaa, you try dont you. You cant stand it I guess. too funny to me.. one more I added :D and I cant wait for Magic either.. .hope I make it there to board on time is all I gotta say.

Do rcl cruisers complain about their policies? Or do they just come here to complain?

Maybe cruisers are tired of Carnival's BS and cruise more than one line:rolleyes:

I complain about RCCL as well when it affects me

the workers deserve EVERY PENNY!!! But i do question WHY carnival does not pay salaries to them???? IT SHOULD be illegal. makes me sad. i would much rather pay a higher cruise fare and have tips included. Then the staff would get MORE money .. well at least from me... because i would tip each person... i guess it would cut out certain people though.

i would lke to see them make more money but i dont know what the answer is.

i will be auto tipping and doing extra to certain staff, i cant get to everyone, obviously. i feel blessed to be able to vacation.

I assume most of us are Americans wishing and participating in nice cruise vacations. Most of us would simply not stand for the work conditions imposed on cruise employees. Less than min wages, work weeks that are weeks and way in excess of any kind of reasonable hours. Yes i understand that in most cases this is more than they can expect in thier respective 3rd world homes but are we really so jaded as to believe some how they are worth less. While I personaly would never not tip I can certainly understand the posters stance of not contibuting to the problem and forcing the cruise lines to pay a realistic compensation. Companies should never be allowed to succeed at the expense of their employees. And to those who would argue please review your history, unions in America raised the standard for all of us love em or hate em. Poverty sucks and we should demand that the companies that do business in, or for us Americans should abide by all of the economic, health and welfare statutes we enjoy and sometimes endure. So if that means I have to pay more to enjoy my vacations " guilt free " so be it.

Unions raised the prices for all us...

You are more than welcome to pay my share of what you consider to be a "realistic compensation" for the employees. I don't hear the employees complaining about their wages, nor do I hear the cruise lines casting about unsuccessfully looking for employees.

You do understand that here, in America, waiters make way below minimum wage. So demanding "that the companies that do business in, or for us Americans" to "abide by all of the economic, health and welfare statutes we enjoy" would not solve the problem you seem to think we have. :confused:

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Next cruise, I am going to cancel the tips and reward the deserving staff directly. Now some of you are going to howl "what about the dishwashers and other crew members you don't come in contact with". That's just my point. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

You have obviously not sailed many cruise lines.

I have sailed 6 cruise lines and everyone of them have had their tips done the same way. You can adjust to your liking and you can pay at the end of your cruise. It is nothing new in the industry !! And not all cruise ship workers make "starvation wages". I have had several friends work for various line throughout the years! One that is in his 12th year with RCL.

DCL is approx $12 a day per person

RCL is approx $18.20 a day per person

Princess Cruise lines is approx $11.50 a day per person

Celebrity Cruise Lines is approx $11.50 a day per person

Never tipped in a McDonalds.

Did work in a Burger King for a month in 1976. Worked my way up from burger broiler to Whopper board in that time.

No one said I should have gotten a tip. I did get free food though during breaks.

Hey Pete.. did I say I got tipped.. NO..

WOW:eek::rolleyes: a month ...

I got the free food and I got a car every 4 years .. why because someone felt I deserved something for my hard work... I did what I had to do to raise my boys a a single mom...and I say all the servers and wait staff, room attendants and all the other behind the scenes deserve their tips..

and Actually some members of my team did get tips.. we didn't encourage it but some felt they deserved it..

I was shocked that RCL was that high so I checked it out and they are $18.20 . Carnival cruisers are getting a bargain.

I was shocked that RCL was that high so I checked it out and they are $18.20 . Carnival cruisers are getting a bargain.

Have you cruised on RCCL? That is not correct

We got complimentary gratuities of 80.55pp for our RCCL cruises

Love getting OBC and gratuities from TA's on other cruiselines

Thats not tips per day is it.. I cruised on RCL in Aprill and it wasnt that much I can say for sure. Tips are about the same as on Carnival...unless you have a suite and pay extra.. but you dont tip extra for a JS.. has to be a full suite.

Is that the Full suite tips

Thats not what we have paid on the last cruise on RCCL but we were only in a JS

That is what we recently paid in a suite...oh yes, minus the $7 something it does work out to about the same..my bad !

The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind. For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are:

Waiter: $3.75 USD a day per guest

Assistant Waiter: $2.15 USD a day per guest

Head Waiter: $.75 USD a day per guest

Stateroom Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services: $5.00 USD a day per guest

Suite Attendant/

Other Housekeeping Services: $7.25 USD a day per guest

who is a RCL cruiser.. and what is that?? Someone else brought up RCL and I replied.... and you who have no interest in RCL felt compelled to bring up RCL again?? hey whatever floats your boat.

So who came here to complain about RCL tipping policies, I didnt see anyone?.. or do you have rules confused with complaining.. I stated a rule.. I could care less about tipping policies as I do auto tipping on both. Sure doesnt make a difference to me. I think auto tipping is fair and wish that other lines would make it like NCL and call it a service charge and make it harder to remove.

PS I dont know if you look at signatures.. but my TA out of the UK is flying over to throw a party on Conquest the week before I am on Magic and I had been saying no thanks.. no, my parents need me and caved.. .. sharing a free balcony for a week on Conquest, big party, open bar, free steak restaurant he is paying for. and a contest and other events.. I had to meet him after all this time.

I am giving up my nonrefundable hotel room in Galveston Sept 30th, and getting off conquest in NOLA on the 30th, and going to drive like the wind to get on Magic the day I get off conquest after all.. just added it to my signature about 30 minutes ago.

Is it me you are calling the RCL cruiser.. one more on Carnival I couldnt resist. To call me a RCL cruiser, with that many Carnival cruises booked .. hahhahahaa, you try dont you. You cant stand it I guess. too funny to me.. one more I added :D and I cant wait for Magic either.. .hope I make it there to board on time is all I gotta say.

No idea what you are talking about. I didn't raise rcl, you did. So I asked you a simple question. Do they complain too? Seems like their tipping policy is similar and a heck of a lot more for similar service.

If you cant afford it .. stay home. simple as that.

Why come here to start trouble.

oh he's a trouble maker all right , go back and look at all his post...they are ALL complaints....I agree with you Fire, he needs to stay home or find another kind of vacation...We don't need any more pot-stirrers on here...Dennis

You have obviously not sailed many cruise lines.

I have sailed 6 cruise lines and everyone of them have had their tips done the same way. You can adjust to your liking and you can pay at the end of your cruise. It is nothing new in the industry !! And not all cruise ship workers make "starvation wages". I have had several friends work for various line throughout the years! One that is in his 12th year with RCL.

Wow. Seems like the loyal royals get screwed. But good for the workers. They all deserve every penny and os why I have always tipped more than recommended.

That is what we recently paid in a suite...oh yes, minus the $7 something it does work out to about the same..my bad !

The daily amounts below have been calculated with this in mind. For new bookings that set sail on or after July 1, 2011, the suggested gratuities are:

Stateroom Attendant/

Suite Attendant/

No idea what you are talking about. I didn't raise rcl, you did. So I asked you a simple question. Do they complain too? Seems like their tipping policy is similar and a heck of a lot more for similar service.

As I pointed out to you the first time, I replied to someone else who mentioned RCL.. you really seem to have a gripe dont you?

I quoted someone .. did you miss it, I guess so..

RCL tips are $11.65 a day I believe .. 15 cents a day difference. They just went up recently, used to be a few cents less per day than Carnival.

If 15 cents a day is a big deal to you.. Im so sorry that you think its a big deal. I waste 15 cents all the time, wouldnt miss it.

You do make me laugh at how you try and stretch the truth. I need more smiles.. thanks

oh he's a trouble maker all right , go back and look at all his post...they are ALL complaints....I agree with you Fire, he needs to stay home or find another kind of vacation...We don't need any more pot-stirrers on here...Dennis

I also went to look at the posts of the guy who asked about removing tips, and he posted on NCL about the infant rate going up..

im surprised to see people happy there charging more for the kids under 2 now. reading comments like im glad, and maybe there will be less kids now. well the way i see it, if my ds is paying the higher rate now, dont be mad when hes in the speciality restaraunt or mdr crying and making some noise. its his right. hes a paying customer just like you.

He is also a pot stirrer.

I respect your posts.. I know a lot about Carnival and its fleet I dont follow.

Stateroom Attendant/

Suite Attendant/

We were in a JS our last 2 cruises on RCCL and my invoice says 80.55pp.

You guys in the full suites pay the extra for the CL and all you can drink for 3 hrs every day:D

Archived