CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

I like prepaid it helps keep my final bill down.:eek:

Than I tip over and above to those that desreve it.

Not sure I understand how it keeps your final bill down. The tip charges just appear on your final statement along with your bar, gift shop, and other miscellaneous charges.

i don't think we've even touched on bartender and server tips, which is a class unto itself.

i wish I made their tips;)

Not sure I understand how it keeps your final bill down. The tip charges just appear on your final statement along with your bar, gift shop, and other miscellaneous charges.

The total overall cruise cost is the same but the payment schedule is different

If I pre pay my tips I pay it off before I board the ship Than my final bill, that gets forced under my door @ 3am final day, will be less. So I dont get sticker shock as bad :D

Again, just a curiosity question - on HAL, if you remove the auto "service charge" and then tip with cash, the recipients are required to put that cash into a " pool" which is then distributed to everyone who would have participated via the "service charge" - are we sure that it doesnt work that way on Carnival?

Again, just a curiosity question - on HAL, if you remove the auto "service charge" and then tip with cash, the recipients are required to put that cash into a " pool" which is then distributed to everyone who would have participated via the "service charge" - are we sure that it doesnt work that way on Carnival?

On Carnival there is no pooling, regardless of pay method*.

*I still haven't figured out ATD.

so carnival breaks it down that most of your tips go to

Waiter,Asst. Waiter and Head Waiter

Cabin Steward and their asst.

and the small portion is for Other Service Personnel

would it be wrong to adjust it down and only pre pay for the "other service personnel" and then tip all the others in person so that i can also thank them? everything i have read said the only people that get the tips are the ones you have personal contact with not the dishwashers laundry or anyone you don't see.

so is this wrong or not.

please don't flame me real question.:cool:

Wow I have never cancelled my auto tips, have always given more. I have a feeling with most of the people who tip in cash if they received "sub par" service they don't tip at all. I have never experienced such whiners as much as the ones on these boards. As my Mom used to say"they'd complain if they got hung with a new rope".:eek: Pony up people.

Can you prove that or is it your opinion ? Just dig a little deeper in those Long, Deep Pockets and think about the service you are given. No service no tip, Exceptional Service additional dollars.... It's a vacation enjoy it.

Oh I suppose it's "possible" CCL completely segregates those tip funds, holds them separately in trust for the employees, then distributes them 100% without any skim for administrative costs.

I still think some don't pay tips because they are cheap :( they are probably the ones that never tip anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Sure they do but that's not the issue here. These forced payments are not tips, they are fare surcharges disguised as tips.

I still think some don't pay tips because they are cheap :( they are probably the ones that never tip anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ~ sign the awesome Gailerina!

Perhaps that was the original poster! He seems to be MIA now.

I pre-pay tips. That way it's taken care of PRIOR to the trip. I would likely forget about it being added in the end and thus would need to come up with more money to cover the bill at the end. It just makes it easier for us.

Am I wrong, but don't most mass market cruise lines offer pre-paid and/or automatic tips?:confused:

Yep all 6 cruiselines Ive been on

just NCL has it as a service charge

Sure they do but that's not the issue here. These forced payments are not tips, they are fare surcharges disguised as tips.

Since you can remove them, no they aren't. You are NOT forced to tip anything. Thus they are NOT payments nor surcharges no matter now many times you and your friends try to say they are.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Thought it was like that, so why is the OP so upset with CCL and posting the advance tipping is hogwash?:confused:

Someones AE was bored of all the pay for platinum service threads:eek:

To those complaining about "underpayment" of CCL employees so that they need tips - welcome to the service industry. Nationwide the vast majority of wait staff earn a whopping $2.15. If you are removing/not paying tips on board you are probably the same cheap people who don't tip in bars and restaraunts either. If you can't afford the tips, don't cruise, you can't afford it.

To those complaining about "underpayment" of CCL employees so that they need tips - welcome to the service industry. Nationwide the vast majority of wait staff earn a whopping $2.15. If you are removing/not paying tips on board you are probably the same cheap people who don't tip in bars and restaraunts either. If you can't afford the tips, don't cruise, you can't afford it.

Well said sir.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I don't mind it. I know it's a part of the cost of cruising, which is still a very economical way for my husband and I to get to see new places and relax. I like being able to pay it in advance so my final bill isn't large. On our last cruise we did tip our room steward and a waitress we liked extra in cash. Not many other types of vacations that you can have a great experience for about $150 a day when all is said and done. (Well we can go that cheap if we leave from our local port and book inside stateroom, which we definitely prefer so we can cruise more often!)

Archived