CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

The issue I have with Pre-paying tips... I never pay for anything I don't have to before I get it. Obviously, you have to pay for things like the cruise fare. However, pre-paying tips seems foolish to me. Do most travel insurances reimburse for pre-paid tips? IDK...

The issue I have with Pre-paying tips... I never pay for anything I don't have to before I get it. Obviously, you have to pay for things like the cruise fare. However, pre-paying tips seems foolish to me. Do most travel insurances reimburse for pre-paid tips? IDK...

Then simple.. do not prepay them. .. if you dont pay before your cruise, then they will add them automatically to your S&S account which will not be billed to your credit card until after the cruise.. after the service is rendered.

Why would insurance remimburse you for something refundable.. if you dont go on the cruise... then the amount your prepaid for tips is refunded. The add on taxes and fees are also automatically refunded.

I see someone above who must not even have been on a cruise yet.. already cheapening out, asking when he can remove the tips so he can tip in cash, which everyone knows means .. tip less. The people serving him will have a list of the cheapos who remove tips... I just dont get why people are so cheap.

To those complaining about "underpayment" of CCL employees so that they need tips - welcome to the service industry. Nationwide the vast majority of wait staff earn a whopping $2.15. If you are removing/not paying tips on board you are probably the same cheap people who don't tip in bars and restaraunts either. If you can't afford the tips, don't cruise, you can't afford it.

May I add alittle something Todd :)

I bet those who remove tips and tip what they "think" is proper are those same people that want extra this extra that ,"hook me up" make my drink really strong,you dont do buy backs ? Sort of like the people who go to a buffet and make a night of it , closes at 9 arrives at quarter of and sits until 11 and makes all the staff wait until they are done to go home and leave a $5 for the waitress

I like prepaid it helps keep my final bill down.:eek:

Than I tip over and above to those that desreve it.

I completely agree, we always do when it allows and it's one less cost on the trip, and always tip extra to those who we feel deserve it (usually our cabin steward).

We just got off the Liberty last Saturday. The gratuities put on our onboard account were $80.50 per person.

I just wish I knew it all went to the staff whom we think are going to get it. On RCI, they put the gratuities on your onboard account if you request it, otherwise, you can give them cash and we always did.

I know the set gratuities went up, but it is the first time it went up since we started cruising in 1999. I've never wanted to short change the crew that wait on me and clean my cabin.

If Carnival is not dividing up the tips they take from us among the crew, then we should go back to cash.

The entire staff gets a list of passengers that removed the tips from there acct, I would hate to be served by any of them not knowing what is in my food.:eek:

This is done after the cruise. To justify their pay. it shows their pay based on who tipped what. They get a statement with their pay.

Well RCCL has higher prices as does most other cruise lines other then Carnival and they all have a Tipping Policy in place. I guess if you want to pay more money all the power to you. I am very happy with Carnival prices right where they are.

This is done after the cruise. To justify their pay. it shows their pay based on who tipped what. They get a statement with their pay.

Several people have said they were asked during their cruise why they removed tips, was service not up to par.. so how did the cabin steward know before the cruise was over?

The sign that someone took a picture of in the crew quarters was reposted recently showing a list of people that removed tips.

I think these posters were not making it up myself... and the list is out during your cruise.

Well RCCL has higher prices as does most other cruise lines other then Carnival and they all have a Tipping Policy in place. I guess if you want to pay more money all the power to you. I am very happy with Carnival prices right where they are.

You also cannot choose anytime dining on RCL unless you prepay tips. They dont trust you to tip in cash.

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Next cruise, I am going to cancel the tips and reward the deserving staff directly. Now some of you are going to howl "what about the dishwashers and other crew members you don't come in contact with". That's just my point. If we all stopped rewarding Carnival for paying starvation wages, they would soon change. Tips should be given out in recognition for outstanding service not as a wage supplement. I've had enough of it!

So, if they raise the price of a cruise by say $100 per person for 7 days you will still tip for the good service? Or, would you now say they get a good wage and should not expect a tip?

The 11.50$/day suggested amount is peanuts compared to what you get. It would still be worth it even for mediocre service.

Even if you only eat at the buffet, they still clear tables, refill drinks, restock food, cook to order in some cases, etc. That alone is worth a measly two bucks a meal.

It's a hassle for the crew to deal with large quantities of cash. Just prepay the amount and give a few extra in cash if warranted.

These "I swear I give the suggested amount for everyone in my family but I just pay in cash at the end" people are full of it. Otherwise why is it such a big deal? There are many deserving people who aren't customer facing who still deserve their small share.

It upsets me to no end to read that people are removing their tips out of ignorance and greed...

I am not to proud to say I was a manager that worked my way up thru the chain at my local mcDonalds at the ripe old age of 35..you learn a great appreciation for that people go thru in the service industry once you get on their side of the fence..

I have done both side auto tip and paying cash.. I am embarrased to say I'm having this discussion with my DH because I asked to have the tips added to my bill so I can pay them off before we go..

If you have ever been in the service industry you know that it is team effort, it is not just the person that present your food on your table in the MDR or the person that makes your bed, or the person that replaces and empty bowl in the Lido..it is everyone in the front lines and behind the seens that makes your cruise the vacation we all work so hard for.. so what if the tips go to the laundry team or the food prep team... they all played a part in your day to day cruise expereince...

I may no longer be in the McDonalds family.. I am actually and international award winning wine maker but I will never forget what it was like to feel the sense of gratitude I felt when a customer came back just to say think you..

Tipping my servers and room attendants is my way of remembering where I came from and make sure in some small way I show I appreciate their service..

Tipping is hot topic on CC stop stiring the pot

This is from my cruise in 2010 on the Carnival Splendor or better known as The Swine Flu Cruise. That was the reason for the tips being removed by alot of people on this cruise. Not myself.

It was because of this photo that things have changed.

It upsets me to no end to read that people are removing their tips out of ignorance and greed...

I am not to proud to say I was a manager that worked my way up thru the chain at my local mcDonalds at the ripe old age of 35..you learn a great appreciation for that people go thru in the service industry once you get on their side of the fence..

I have done both side auto tip and paying cash.. I am embarrased to say I'm having this discussion with my DH because I asked to have the tips added to my bill so I can pay them off before we go..

If you have ever been in the service industry you know that it is team effort, it is not just the person that present your food on your table in the MDR or the person that makes your bed, or the person that replaces and empty bowl in the Lido..it is everyone in the front lines and behind the seens that makes your cruise the vacation we all work so hard for.. so what if the tips go to the laundry team or the food prep team... they all played a part in your day to day cruise expereince...

I may no longer be in the McDonalds family.. I am actually and international award winning wine maker but I will never forget what it was like to feel the sense of gratitude I felt when a customer came back just to say think you..

Tipping my servers and room attendants is my way of remembering where I came from and make sure in some small way I show I appreciate their service..

Tipping is hot topic on CC stop stiring the pot

Never tipped in a McDonalds.

Did work in a Burger King for a month in 1976. Worked my way up from burger broiler to Whopper board in that time.

No one said I should have gotten a tip. I did get free food though during breaks.

Pointless thread.

As others have mentioned (but shouldn't have needed to, since it is obvious to anyone who got through elementary school math) one way or another the cost of the cruise will be the same, passengers will pay the wages of every employee on the ship.

Yawn.

Then simple.. do not prepay them. .. if you dont pay before your cruise, then they will add them automatically to your S&S account which will not be billed to your credit card until after the cruise.. after the service is rendered.

Why would insurance remimburse you for something refundable.. if you dont go on the cruise... then the amount your prepaid for tips is refunded. The add on taxes and fees are also automatically refunded.

I see someone above who must not even have been on a cruise yet.. already cheapening out, asking when he can remove the tips so he can tip in cash, which everyone knows means .. tip less. The people serving him will have a list of the cheapos who remove tips... I just dont get why people are so cheap.

im the cheapo u must be referring to.

This is from my cruise in 2010 on the Carnival Splendor or better known as The Swine Flu Cruise. That was the reason for the tips being removed by alot of people on this cruise. Not myself.

It was because of this photo that things have changed.

this photo was 2009

Several people have said they were asked during their cruise why they removed tips, was service not up to par.. so how did the cabin steward know before the cruise was over?

The sign that someone took a picture of in the crew quarters was reposted recently showing a list of people that removed tips.

I think these posters were not making it up myself... and the list is out during your cruise.

And that picture was also said to have been a mistake and the list was not to get out.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You also cannot choose anytime dining on RCL unless you prepay tips. They dont trust you to tip in cash.

Do rcl cruisers complain about their policies? Or do they just come here to complain?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived