CCL advance tipping policy is hogwash

tommycanuck

yes, but how much longer are we going to accept the adverts up top that say cruise for as little as $299, or .... $499?

um, sorry, but you can't do that, unless you have a 0 ballance on your sail and sign account, which includes removing tips.

hell, tax and fees add more than $200 alone.

make cruises free, and pay as you go, why don't you?

This is different from other cruise lines, how?

As I pointed out to you the first time, I replied to someone else who mentioned RCL.. you really seem to have a gripe dont you?

I quoted someone .. did you miss it, I guess so..

RCL tips are $11.65 a day I believe .. 15 cents a day difference. They just went up recently, used to be a few cents less per day than Carnival.

If 15 cents a day is a big deal to you.. Im so sorry that you think its a big deal. I waste 15 cents all the time, wouldnt miss it.

You do make me laugh at how you try and stretch the truth. I need more smiles.. thanks

Lol. I wouldn't think 15 cents was a big deal. But when i posted that someone had posted a much bigger difference. So no, i didnt stretch the truth and never do. You just read into things. And i asked you because u have sailed both, but I guess you missed that point.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Since so many people have h82seeyoutip on ignore, I guess it is harder to spot all his alias names, shills, sock puppets, and imaginary friends.

Tip what you want. You can think I am throwing my money away pre tipping. I can think you are a douchenozzle removing your tips. Both opinions are allowed, that is what makes cruise critic great.

I'm interested to know how the staff will be paid when the Spirit is based in Australia. I have recently booked my cruise for next year and there are no optional gratuities, presumably these costs are built into the total cost. I would assume this to mean that staff are paid more (well I hope thats what it means).

As Australians it isn't natural for us to tip, we just don't do it automatically and presumably Carnival realised that and so have structured it all differently for a ship based here.

No idea what you are talking about. I didn't raise rcl, you did. So I asked you a simple question. Do they complain too? Seems like their tipping policy is similar and a heck of a lot more for similar service.

rccl does not feel they need to take the money from you. there is no autotip. if you wish to charge it to your seapass, you need to initiate it.

they have a different class of passenger still. cruisers paying more, to sail with others willing to pay more.

rccl does not feel they need to take the money from you. there is no autotip. if you wish to charge it to your seapass, you need to initiate it.

they have a different class of passenger still. cruisers paying more, to sail with others willing to pay more.

... And being willing to pay more for the same product is a real sign of intelligence. :rolleyes:

In my experience, 90%+ of rccl/ccl customers are identical, the same audience.

Cool story bro.

You still sailing Carnival?

Cool story bro.

If you book anytime dining you have to prepay tips as I mentioned in the post you objected to earlier..

If you book Traditional, the cabin steward puts a paper in the daily compass you sign to autotip. I know one time my roomie signed to pay my tips (I had paid for the cruise) .. and they charged me.. and I had not signed the paper to authorize them to charge me autotips.. and they charged them anyway.

Only once I didnt sign the paper, as I did not want to tip the maitre d'. So, I admit one time to not autotipping on RCL... but I added it up and gave each other person at least their full amount as if I had autotipped. Just the once.. I went back to autotipping my last 3 RCL Cruises.

the higher amount mentioned previously, I presume is the amount for suites. With that comes the concierge lounge, someone who will book all your shows and whatever else you want, steak house etc.. plus it includes free mixed drinks for about 3 1/2 hours each night. If you drink at all the mixed drinks are worth the extra tipping? On smaller ships they mix in the diamond plus and above with the suite people.. on some ships it is a separate lounge. Their cabin key opens the door to the concierge lounge to get in to their own private bar tender. I think its a nice perk, free mixed drinks.

I havent booked above JS which we had twice.... which isnt considered a full suite, but I got my diamond loyalty level free wine in a separate lounge, but except on Freedom class and Oasis class I cant get in where they do the free mixed drinks.

We always do the pre-pay and then additional tipping to those that have provided us with excellent service! They really do work very hard (everyone on the ship) I see my Dining room waiters all over the ship , working everywhere....they certainly are NOT just in the dining rooms!

Cool story bro.

actually, i never post my specific cruise history publicly, which makes some fans post that i've never cruised and post from mum's basement.

irrellevant.

actually, i never post my specific cruise history publicly, which makes some fans post that i've never cruised and post from mum's basement.

irrellevant.

I didnt use to post anything .. but lately post upcoming .. but as soon as I take a cruise, I erase it from my signature.. so no one who doesnt know me knows what cruises I have already been on.

I started doing it because Carnival wouldnt count 3 cruises I took with them in the 1980s, because I moved and threw out proof that I never knew I would need later on in my life.

People ask how many Carnival cruises.. and its always a question.. the official count and the unofficial count. I was also on the Big Red Boat, no current cruise line.

Let's call it for what it is. Just another form of boosting fares with a cash grab, similar to the resort fees some hotels are starting to charge. Carnival should be paying their staff a living wage and not relying on passengers to augment their income.

Oh, that sounds like fun... sailing on a ship where none of the staff are incentivized. Why do you care what vehicle Carnival uses to pay their staff... tips or wage? If it is wage, your ticket price goes up. Silly argument. :rolleyes:

If you book anytime dining you have to prepay tips as I mentioned in the post you objected to earlier..

You must have confused posts. I didn't object to a post of yours. I asked you a question.

irrellevant.

It's very relevant. You complain about EVERYTHING and hate everything about Carnival and have a low opinion of those who cruise Carnival. If you cruise Carnival.......

It's very relevant. You complain about EVERYTHING and hate everything about Carnival and have a low opinion of those who cruise Carnival. If you cruise Carnival.......

so simply discuss that in those topics. bring it on. i don't mind talking out topics. that's what this place is for.

just seems so simple. but you can drop the hyperbole.

Starvation wages??? Have you researched the normal wage in Phillipians or any of the many countries these people come from??? I think they get fairly good wages compared to what they make in their home countries.

We had a bunch of Phillapinos come work at the hospital I worked at, they were paid not more than me as an RN, some of these people were advanced nurses, one a doctors wife, our nursing wages were amazing to them, enough to be gone from families for a year!!!

I think that if they were starvation wages they wouldn't be working on the ships, many are loyal for YEARS on the ships.

As far as tipping goes, take them off if you don't like them, it's a free system!! Those of us that believe in rewarding the people that make our vacations great will probably make up for those that don't tip.

Tip or don't but God please just keep it private!!!

OP, I agree with you to a point. I do think that they should just included in the cruise fare. I am not a fan of pricing models that have a base price (which is of course what they quote) and then multiple add ons until you get to the actual price, which is quite a bit higher. I think its ALMOST deceptive (notice I said almost, because they have to disclose these things, just not in the same manner). However, that said, Carnival does that and I know upfront that I do. So I just have to overlook the price on the website and look at the real price.

I also agree with those that talk about a tip being something that should be in recognition of service rendered. And if the tipping goes people that I never came in contact with (and maybe never did anything for me), how am I really doing that. Plus I am still uncomfortable with who really gets the $2 per day for other services and whether that actually goes to people. If I knew for sure that every single penny went to a staff member on the ship, even if it was someone who was polishing the brass in the engine room, it would not bother me as much, but I have my doubts.

However, despite all of my personal feeling on the above, I will leave my auto tip in place. Carnival is not going to change their policies because you, I or even all of the people on CC take off the autotips, resulting in the dishwashers, floor sweepers, and other behind the scenes people getting stiffed. They are just going to get less money. So the only people that suffer from that are them. And the $2 pp per day that I disagree with is not worth it.

They are just going to get less money. So the only people that suffer from that are them.

Exactly how I feel. Removing auto tips and tipping just people you come in contact with just means everybody else the tips usually goes to gets less money.

Exactly how I feel. Removing auto tips and tipping just people you come in contact with just means everybody else the tips usually goes to gets less money.

you should certainly review the purpose of tipping.

tipping should ONLY be extended to those in the service industry that you DO come in contact with.

I assume most of us are Americans wishing and participating in nice cruise vacations. Most of us would simply not stand for the work conditions imposed on cruise employees. Less than min wages, work weeks that are weeks and way in excess of any kind of reasonable hours. Yes i understand that in most cases this is more than they can expect in thier respective 3rd world homes but are we really so jaded as to believe some how they are worth less. While I personaly would never not tip I can certainly understand the posters stance of not contibuting to the problem and forcing the cruise lines to pay a realistic compensation. Companies should never be allowed to succeed at the expense of their employees. And to those who would argue please review your history, unions in America raised the standard for all of us love em or hate em. Poverty sucks and we should demand that the companies that do business in, or for us Americans should abide by all of the economic, health and welfare statutes we enjoy and sometimes endure. So if that means I have to pay more to enjoy my vacations " guilt free " so be it.

I hate seeing posts like this, because it's just not true.

Is working on a cruise ship difficult? I'm sure it is. Are the conditions substandard? No, I really don't believe they are. And they especially aren't in comparison to the jobs most of the workers could get in their home country.

That doesn't mean that they are somehow "worth less" - it simply means that while you can't understand how someone can work in that type of job, for them it may be a fantastic opportunity - it's a matter of viewpoint.

The issue is that we tend to look at everything from our North American viewpoint and experience - but that isn't how most of the world lives.

I had the pleasure of visiting Bali, Indonesia about 8 years ago (many, many cruise ship workers are Indonesian), and it truly opened my eyes. These people live so very differently to what you or I may be used to, and it appears that they are living in poverty; however, they are the happiest people you could ever wish to meet. They don't feel that they are "missing" anything - it's simply a judgement that we make based on our own lifestyle.

I speak to many workers on board (often if they are Indonesian I ask them where they are from etc.) and they are always happy to discuss their job, their home, their families. Do they have a tough job? You bet. Are they being taken advantage of? I don't believe they are. They are living the "American Dream" in their own way - working hard to provide for their families (and in most cases their cruise ship job allows them to provide handsomely for them).

There are many, many Americans struggling making less than minimum wage, living below the poverty line and being taken advantage of by employers - you may want to start looking at them before you look at the cruiselines.

so simply discuss that in those topics. bring it on. i don't mind talking out topics. that's what this place is for.

just seems so simple. but you can drop the hyperbole.

Sure. Lol.

carnival cruise line has threatened to withhold tips if the crewmember's rating falls below 92 percent. and on the carnival site as i read it's only the three main waiters and your 2 stewards that get the tips except for the 2.00 for the other service staff that they charge. cooks dishwashers "any ones that don't have contact with the cruiser does not share in the tips their pay is not based on tips

so if you auto-tip you possibly could only be tipping the management. all i know is what I've read, whats true whats not, i don't know the only thing i know is if we all really cared for the crew the way we act like we do, we would be calling and writing the cruise line about the way they treat their crew. and for those people that say if you don't auto-tip the crew will know and they might do something to your food. this is possible true, but when the crew has a name for all American's of "COW ANIMALS" i don't think your held in high regard anyway and i don't blame them one bit:cool: nice to your face.

FLAMES ON

if you need links just ask me

Archived