Southwest's "Earlybird Checkin" ?

jsf

We always do early bird for one person. My wife or I get early bird and take an aisle or window saving the center seat for the other. It saves $10.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You didn't read this whole thread, did you?

Even reading the original post has never been a requirement for posting on CC.
Some folks even consider it to be a negative.

Beside, aren't all threads ultimately about how to smuggle booze onboard, how to get the best seats by the pool, where the cheapest plane tickets are bought and what's the best port for getting totally drunk on the cheap?

We live overseas part time and fly Southwest only as part of a larger trip (not leaving from home), so don't want to have to pounce on a computer to check-in online exactly 24 hours in advance of the flight (and a few minutes can make a big difference in the number you get), so we've usually paid the $10 extra, though on one recent trip we still have numbers in the low 40s even with the automatic check-in. The "business class" passengers (there are no business class seats, just a more expensive ticket for those who want flexibility, earlier check-in etc.) are still at the front of the line (along with a few others).

This whole Early Bird Check-in thing is fascinating. I took a Game Theory class in college, and Southwest is playing the insecurity of the "participants" like a violin. (I'm complementing them, not berating them). Create a perceived risk, make people feel left out if they don't "play", then charge for a pull of the lever. Brilliant! :D

This whole Early Bird Check-in thing is fascinating. I took a Game Theory class in college, and Southwest is playing the insecurity of the "participants" like a violin. (I'm complementing them, not berating them). Create a perceived risk, make people feel left out if they don't "play", then charge for a pull of the lever. Brilliant! :D

And if you ever had to gate check a carry on because you weren't a mid-B or higher and wait at LAX baggage 45 minutes to claim it, you would decide that it was the best $10 you ever spent!

We fly SW a lot. We've noticed people "saving" lots of seats. We saw one gal was trying to save six seats! Things are changing ... at least on the flights we've been on. We've noticed more people sitting down in a seat, and when the seat saver says, "These seats are saved," the other person questions where the person is and then takes the seat. I think folks are getting tired of paying the extra $10 to board early only to see seat after seat saved. People are just sitting down in the "saved' seat. End of discussion. Glad to see this happening. If you want to get on early, pay the $10. If not, you end up where you end up.

• 1 month later...

Question:

I booked my flight and the early bird the very day they opened up flights for the time frame I was traveling.

Am I correct in assuming that no one is ever assigned a seat, just a group # (A, B or C)? Secondly, since we will be on the cruise 24-36 hours before our return flight, does a family member need to log on or do anything on our behalf to ensure we get the best chance of getting in the "A" group so we can sit together on the way home?

Am I correct in assuming that no one is ever assigned a seat, just a group # (A, B or C)?
Correct - each passenger will get a group letter and a number within that group. You then queue to board the aircraft in strict order (A1 ahead of A2, who is ahead of A3 etc).
Secondly, since we will be on the cruise 24-36 hours before our return flight, does a family member need to log on or do anything on our behalf to ensure we get the best chance of getting in the "A" group so we can sit together on the way home?
No, because WN will check you in before any member of the public could check you in. You do not need to do anything except turn up at the airport in time to drop your bags and fly.

No, because WN will check you in before any member of the public could check you in. You do not need to do anything except turn up at the airport in time to drop your bags and fly.

Just to clarify for those that haven't read through--if you pay for early bird--then you are guarantee an early A seat and SW will do the check in for you. So you can just get your boarding pass at the gate. If you haven't paid for this service and aren't able to get on line 24 hours before, then you should have a friend do this for you. You can just print out your boarding pass once you get to the airport.

-if you pay for early bird--then you are guarantee an early A seat

God bless Southwest's marketing department. They really are good. Unfortunately, not true.

From Southwest.com:

"While EarlyBird Check-InSM doesn't guarantee an A boarding position...."

Just to clarify for those that haven't read through--if you pay for early bird--then you are guarantee an early A seat and SW will do the check in for you.

When you purchase a Wanna Get Away ticket and Early Bird Boarding, you are not guaranteed an early A seat or even any A seat. The one guarantee is that you don't have to check-in to get a boarding position.

What you get is a boarding number after all Business Select, A-List Preferred, A-List, Anytime that bought Early Bird and Wanna Get Away with Early Bird that bought tickets before you. What you will be ahead of is Wanna Get Away with Early Bird that bought after you, Anytime, Wanna Get Away and Companion Passes without Early Bird, non-revenue passengers and folks traveling on buddy passes. So, it all depends on the other passengers on your flight.

Will you get some sort of an A boarding pass? More than likely. Will you get a B boarding pass? Maybe. Will you get a C boarding pass? Probably not, but it isn't impossible!

Do I buy Early Bird? Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I buy it if I know I won't have computer or cellphone access to check-in 24-hour before flight time (like on a cruise ship) or I don't want to be bothered checking in 24-hours before flight time (like I'm at an amusement park or it's an early morning flight or I'm otherwise busy).

Hope this helps.

When you purchase a Wanna Get Away ticket and Early Bird Boarding, you are not guaranteed an early A seat or even any A seat. The one guarantee is that you don't have to check-in to get a boarding position.

What you get is a boarding number after all Business Select, A-List Preferred, A-List, Anytime that bought Early Bird and Wanna Get Away with Early Bird that bought tickets before you. What you will be ahead of is Wanna Get Away with Early Bird that bought after you, Anytime, Wanna Get Away and Companion Passes without Early Bird, non-revenue passengers and folks traveling on buddy passes. So, it all depends on the other passengers on your flight.

Will you get some sort of an A boarding pass? More than likely. Will you get a B boarding pass? Maybe. Will you get a C boarding pass? Probably not, but it isn't impossible!

This thread is a good one for seeing what people have ended up with in different situations: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1063255

Archived