Everything Breakaway!(LIVE on 4/28)

loungerz

Hello!

My fiancé and I are growing a little concerned with the lack of information that NCL has been providing regarding the Forward Facing Penthouses, some of the information is not matching from what we are being told.

With that being said we are thinking of booking a 2 Bedroom Villa, The reason we want this is due to having a separate dinning area (as we like to dine in more than out) and I think we will make more use of the Haven. Therefore the Heaven Penthouses are too small for our liking. We also want a Full size tub, which I do not think The Haven Penthouses have.

What is other peoples take on this? Should we hold out and wait? We are booked in 13706 for a Transatlantic Crossing, because of this I do not think we will be using our Balcony as much, but feel that if it is a Hull balcony and with only a few portholes we are not going to get much natural light in the room.

Please give me your thoughts! :)

I will attempt to follow the same format for the Breakaway review, we will see how it does. I did cancel the celebrity cruise, for several reasons. The main reason was schedule conflict, but I was also going over their daily news thing and I noticed that I wasn't marking many activities at all. At this point in life I think that NCL is a much better match for us. Like you said maybe next time, I am by no means ruling Celebrity out.

I did had to increase our budget quite a bit, since now we are required to fly to NY and the cruise itself is much more $$$. But we really think it will be worth it, for me it's review heaven, brand new class. Can't wait.

I am looking at Royal Princess and the prices look appealing, we will see where I am in December I might look into the first week, that seems to be the cheapest sailing.

Happy sailings.

For what it's worth, I spent several hours reading your Allure review, I really admire your eye for photos (I just got an entry-level DSLR - Nikon D3200 w/18 - 55, and 55-200mm lenses), and your story-telling felt as though we were there.

Stephen

For what it's worth, I spent several hours reading your Allure review, I really admire your eye for photos (I just got an entry-level DSLR - Nikon D3200 w/18 - 55, and 55-200mm lenses), and your story-telling felt as though we were there.

Stephen

Thanks for reading my review and the comment :), when I was shopping around for cameras the D3200 was 1 of 3 cameras in my finalist list. It is a great camera and with nikons Nikkor arsenal of lens I can only imagine what that camera can accomplish. The only reason I got the Sony over the nikon was size, I want to keep my equipment size to a minimun. I recently acquired two more lenses for my breakaway trip, can't wait :).

BTW everyone on a side note.

NCL already set the price for Ocean Blue specialty restaurant, $35.

Sorry if this is ground that has already been covered, but has anyone heard whether the Breakaway construction is actually on schdule? I seem to recall hearing that another NCL ship -- might have been the Epic -- was not fully completed on time and that it was a "work in progress" for the inaugural transatlantic cruise. We're booked for the Breakaway's transatlantic cruise from Southampton to New York, so we're obviously hoping for a completed ship.

Roger

Sorry if this is ground that has already been covered, but has anyone heard whether the Breakaway construction is actually on schdule? I seem to recall hearing that another NCL ship -- might have been the Epic -- was not fully completed on time and that it was a "work in progress" for the inaugural transatlantic cruise. We're booked for the Breakaway's transatlantic cruise from Southampton to New York, so we're obviously hoping for a completed ship.

Roger

That is also a concern of mine. Well if I am correct Epic had engine issues and one of the engines had to be replaced. Of course I could be wrong. But when I contacted Andreas he told me that the ship yard has a very good record for completion times. He said that it is normal for new classes to have issues but they account extra time for that. The builders so far have not released on info on the topic, my guess is that they are on schedule. I am hopping that Andreas might have some info in the weeks to come, we will see.

That is also a concern of mine. Well if I am correct Epic had engine issues and one of the engines had to be replaced. Of course I could be wrong. But when I contacted Andreas he told me that the ship yard has a very good record for completion times. He said that it is normal for new classes to have issues but they account extra time for that. The builders so far have not released on info on the topic, my guess is that they are on schedule. I am hopping that Andreas might have some info in the weeks to come, we will see.

The Epic was built by STX France and the fire was suspected sabotage due a labor dispute which may also account for the ship's other problems such as incomplete venues during its maiden voyage.

NCL seems to have had a long history with Meyer Weft, Germany which has built most of the current fleet. I really like the Jewel-class ships and the Breakaway will be a sight to see.

111 Days and Counting!

As everyone has indicated the MeyerWerft shipyard at Papenburg where Norwegian Breakaway is being built is probably the best shipyard in the world when it comes to building passenger ships and getting them out there on schedule and fully completed. Another great set of shipyards are the Fincantieri yards at Monfalcone and Marghera in Italy near Venice which buillt most of the new Carnival, Princess, and Cunard ships and is currently finishing up the new Royal Princess with her sister Regal Princess coming next as well as the largest cruise ship ever built for P&O, and last but certainly not least the amazing STX Finland yard near Turku which built the five Voyager-class, three Freedom-class, and two Oasis-class cruise ships all for RCI.

The last seven ships built at MeyerWerft include all five of the gorgeous Solstice-class ships of Celebrity Cruuses and the two Disney-Dream class ships of Disney Cruise Lines. Before that, as already mentioned, where the five ships of the Jewel-class of NCL, the four Radiance-class ships of RCI, and the three Century-class ships of Celebrity Cruises among two others for P&O Cruises. The yard at Papenburg has also built all six of the amazing new Sphinx-class ships for AIDA Cruises. As you can see they don't mess around. With this tradition of excellence comes the contracts for both of the Breakaway-class ships for NCL, the two new Sunshine-class ships for RCI, followed by the Breakaway-Plus ship for NCL.

I wouldn't worry about the Papenburg shipyard coming out with anything less than an amazing ship built in strict adherence with NCL's vision and schedule.

Have a GREAT cruise! :D

the breakaway will have a fireworks display on every cruise " during her summer inaugural season"

Heres a link to the press release

http://http://www.breakaway.ncl.com/latest/press-releases/norwegian-breakaway-will-light-up-the-night-with-a-captivating-show-on-every-cruise/view/2013-01-08

That's great news, I will have my camera ready :D.

I wonder what part of the ship is the best place to watch this display.

Thanks for the lesson. Shipyards are a complete new topic for me.

Sort of anywhere on an outdoor top deck will do. The Music accompaniment will be from H20 but will also be filtered thru speakers all over top decks for families and kids not allowed into H20.

Now I hear the Question Wheels a humming!!!!!

Will they do it from Rotterdam to Dover???

Will they do it Transatlantic???

Will they do it in NYC?????

Will they do it on 2 day Cruise to nowhere????

Good questions all.....I would certainly assume they would test it TA

and For sure at christening in NYC

Cruise to Nowhere and Rotterdam crossing ....No idea, but likely.....

Let the speculation begin LOL:D

BTW everyone on a side note.

NCL already set the price for Ocean Blue specialty restaurant, $35.

Gambee thanks so much for all your informative threads on the Breakaway!

Do you perhaps know what the prices for the other specialty restaurants will be?

Hey, that announcement says every cruise, not just Bermuda!:)

"JUST ANNOUNCED: Norwegian Breakaway will feature an exciting fireworks show on every cruise. The environmentally-friendly pyrotechnics display will dazzle guests on the second to last night at sea."

Gambee thanks so much for all your informative threads on the Breakaway!

Do you perhaps know what the prices for the other specialty restaurants will be?

If my information is correct the prices will be the same as the other ships.

here is the link for the NCL dining guide, all the prices are there.

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/DiningGuide_11202012.pdf

the breakaway will have a fireworks display on every cruise " during her summer inaugural season"

Heres a link to the press release

http://http://www.breakaway.ncl.com/latest/press-releases/norwegian-breakaway-will-light-up-the-night-with-a-captivating-show-on-every-cruise/view/2013-01-08

I wonder if September will still be part of "summer"?

Archived