Aussies being ripped off, price gorging and the ACCC.

Well, our business is a professional business with all principals holding Degrees in their required practice. Think along the lines of legal practitioners and medical fields. And we don't charge cancellation fees unless 2 weeks prior to job.

Maybe there is a difference where people rather distort the meanings of definitions to suit their needs? Professionals, in common vernacular refers to people with tertiary qualifications who practise in the broad areas of Legal, engineering, medical, etc.

I understand that people want to get paid for work they have done, but a TA charging a fee when a person cancels a cruise is does not bode well to build a loyal customer base nor good business in these times IMO ... especially when the person cancels within the timeframes of the cruise lines T&C.

I understand that people want to get paid for work they have done, but a TA charging a fee when a person cancels a cruise is does not bode well to build a loyal customer base nor good business in these times IMO ... especially when the person cancels within the timeframes of the cruise lines T&C.

I agree. :)

A TA might do a 'professional' job, but they are not working in a professional field that in Australia usually means someone who needs university qualifications.

Yes they do

Make mine a flat white

Just one sugar for me:D

Interesting thread.

i havent cruised on RCl for a few years but you could book a future cruise onboard and get the obc, you say they have an FCC but are they same conditions as princess & p&o where you only pay $100 and you have 4 years to make up your mind and if you dont cruise you get your $100 back

I don't know about things in the eastern states, but I have certainly had friends and work colleagues who feel that they are "gouged" pricewise with hotel and dining prices here.

I know that your post was not directly to do with Australians paying more for cruises and my reply isn't either but I did see a comparison somewhere recently that showed Perth was the most expensive location in Australia for tourists.

I tried to remove this post but have left it too long. It is really irrelevant to the discussion, and quite off-topic, so please ignore it - I'm sure the original poster is not interested in the conversation getting lost in other topics.

Sorry, will have to be more careful in future. :o

FYI if its after the time to make a change and you want to have the hosts remove your post for some reason, you can click on the ! in the triangle on the top of your post and ask the host to remove it...and everytime I have done so they have done it for me.

from what I've just heard none of you would get past the 1st base in my business (i.e. show me the money before we do anything serious) so there wouldn't be any talk of a coffee either.

Fortunately there are actually people who do know the basics of economics and business so I'm fine, thanks.

from what I've just heard none of you would get past the 1st base in my business (i.e. show me the money before we do anything serious) so there wouldn't be any talk of a coffee either.

Fortunately there are actually people who do know the basics of economics and business so I'm fine, thanks.

Very true, none of them work in travel agencies though.

Why would we want to get past the 1st base?:confused:

You must sell a lot of P&O cruises to 1st time cruisers, as you don't seem to be very familiar with other cruiselines, eg HAL, as you don't know about their large deposits.

I know about the economy and business and are very successful in my own business, even during these tough times.

You mean, our finance persons qualifications in an MBA aren't worth anything? Or at least not as much as a certificate from TAFE. Gads, he's wasted seven years at University!

i havent cruised on RCl for a few years but you could book a future cruise onboard and get the obc, you say they have an FCC but are they same conditions as princess & p&o where you only pay $100 and you have 4 years to make up your mind and if you dont cruise you get your $100 back

Hi Bob, we looked at it when we were last on the Radiance. By memory it was half-price deposits and $200 OBC. We didn't take it any further because it doesn't apply to Grand Suites and above:(.

Cheers

Di

OK..... So we have all vented our frustrations..... AND all this has just made me realize even more why most of us talk with our feet (or our computers!!!) and take advantage of the great deals, reduced deposits on board credits etc, AND SERVICE, with our US based TA'S:D

Ok - so i'm going to try & ask something else here..... apart from the possible non-refundable deposits, what would be the difference/advantages between booking through the cruise agency itself (in my case, Celebrity) or direct with a TA (let's say aussie for now) ?

Hi Bob, we looked at it when we were last on the Radiance. By memory it was half-price deposits and $200 OBC. We didn't take it any further because it doesn't apply to Grand Suites and above:(.

Cheers

Di

thanks Di, i wasnt sure if they had the FCC that last for 4 years like princess & the same conditions but it seems they dont

Our first cruise was on Princess from Melbourne to NZ in late 2008. We opted for a balcony cabin and it cost us about $4400 pp. After tips, drinks and shore excursions it cost us about $10,000- and we only had to take a cab to the port! Another couple we met on board paid a similar amount .

Our next cruise was from Barcelona and with balcony cabin, drinks, tips AND AIR FARES from Melbourne the total cost was under $9000. The couple we met on the Princess also joined us and we were amazed at the difference in costs from the first cruise we took. The following year we all took a med cruise from Venice and balcony cabins were under $2000 pp. Even with air fares it came in under the cost of the Princess cruise.

It is often cheaper for Australians to cruise from overseas than from our own shores. Shame about the airfares!!:rolleyes:

I know that your post was not directly to do with Australians paying more for cruises and my reply isn't either but I did see a comparison somewhere recently that showed Perth was the most expensive location in Australia for tourists.

Yes, that's probably true. We can't believe the difference when we go east for a holiday - much, much better accommodation at sometimes half the price, and eating out (except for those $30 pizzas in Brisbane) is so much cheaper (and usually far, far better food). Anyway, off topic I know, but I get really annoyed with our tourism industry complains over the fact that we don't holiday at home.

Cheers .. Bev

thanks Di, i wasnt sure if they had the FCC that last for 4 years like princess & the same conditions but it seems they dont

I couldn't find a reference to the time limit on RCCLs onboard booking bonus scheme except that the Loyalty Program wording states "Onboard Booking Bonus can be used for any future sailing and must be reserved when onboard" By that ruling i would interpret that they have no time limit. The bonus is up to $200 for inside and outside staterooms plus up to a further $200 for Crown & Anchor Savings Certificates or Platinum & Diamond balcony & suite discounts.

The onboard deposit was $200US pp for any future cruise, fully transferable and regardless of length of cruise. We had to do this earlier this year when we had to cancel a cruise and we transferred the deposit onto another cruise without penalty. We will purchase another future cruise credit on our next cruise.

I guess it is slightly different to Princess but the principal still applies.

I couldn't find a reference to the time limit on RCCLs onboard booking bonus scheme except that the Loyalty Program wording states "Onboard Booking Bonus can be used for any future sailing and must be reserved when onboard" By that ruling i would interpret that they have no time limit. The bonus is up to $200 for inside and outside staterooms plus up to a further $200 for Crown & Anchor Savings Certificates or Platinum & Diamond balcony & suite discounts.

The onboard deposit was $200US pp for any future cruise, fully transferable and regardless of length of cruise. We had to do this earlier this year when we had to cancel a cruise and we transferred the deposit onto another cruise without penalty. We will purchase another future cruise credit on our next cruise.

I guess it is slightly different to Princess but the principal still applies.

must be reserved when onboard"

thank you for that but with princess or p&o australia we dont have to book onboard unless you wish to reserve your cabin and then you can transfer the booking to your TA if you wish, but the FCC still last for 4 years

Ok - so i'm going to try & ask something else here..... apart from the possible non-refundable deposits, what would be the difference/advantages between booking through the cruise agency itself (in my case, Celebrity) or direct with a TA (let's say aussie for now) ?

None. But if you book through a US TA you will get a price drop if the cruise goes on sale, you will pay a reduced, refundable deposit, you will get OBC and you get great service.

None. But if you book through a US TA you will get a price drop if the cruise goes on sale, you will pay a reduced, refundable deposit, you will get OBC and you get great service.

I agree with the above. Booking directly with the Cruise Line in the US is not an option, so you need a good US TA, if wanting to use the US system. Only downside using a TA, if you see a price reduction or a cabin you are after comes available over the weekend, TA may not be available.

Advantage of booking with the cruise line in Australia, you are in control of the booking and price reductions should be honoured here. I am tlalking specifically about Celebrity here. No need to worry about fluctuating exhange rates.

While I can see no advantage of using an Aussie TA for a cruise only, sometimes they can package flights / hotels / cruises very competitively, particularly when it comes to 1 way international flights.

Hilary

While I can see no advantage of using an Aussie TA for a cruise only, sometimes they can package flights / hotels / cruises very competitively, particularly when it comes to 1 way international flights.

Hilary

That is one area where we have had excellent value from our TA.

In 2 cases our TA was able to access cheaper and more convenient flights and Hotels through their wholesale connections that were not available to us booking direct on the Internet.

Hi Hugh, it doesn't apply to suites. There is actually a sign in the C&A Lounge saying that it only applies up to Junior Suites - we found that out on the Radiance trying to book our April cruise to Honolulu (with you and Chris:)).

Hi Bob, yes I think the Princess one is better but I much prefer the loyalty program of Royal Caribbean. You can also use US agents (if you wish) with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity but you can't with Princess.

Cheers

Di

Princess was having problems with staffing the Australian cruises since many were removing the autotip and not giving cash tips. So for Australians, the dropped the autotip and increased the fare.

You have hit the nail right on the head.

Archived