Free gifts in ports?

Lil_miss_j87

Hi

I have a quick question - we are new to cruising and due to go on carnival victory in just over 2 weeks.

Ive been ready in a few reviews people have mentioned that they have went into a few shops in ports to collect their free items?!what is this and how do they get them?

So mentioned a stone from jewellers which they've decided to get set in jewellery.

What are they meaning? How do they get these free items?

:)

The cruise lines are paid by some of the stores to push them during port talks andd such. Some of these stores will give a free gift to any passenger visiting their store. It is not worth much and the markup on everything else more than makes up for the free trinket.

Hi

I have a quick question - we are new to cruising and due to go on carnival victory in just over 2 weeks.

Ive been ready in a few reviews people have mentioned that they have went into a few shops in ports to collect their free items?!what is this and how do they get them?

So mentioned a stone from jewellers which they've decided to get set in jewellery.

we did that on our first cruise- went around to the various shops to collect our junk.

diamond internation has little charms each port has a different charm. crap i tell you- but its good for a little kid gift.

2000794950100508273JLNvwS_th.jpg

this person took pictures of her stash

2949604890101395114qTEUWU_th.jpg

In some places, they will beg/let you open an oyster to see if you get a pearl. Almost everyone wins one-or 2 sometimes, even different colors. Then they want to sell you earring backs, a necklace, or something else to put it on. And then sell you more stuff to match the set. You can just take the pearl. They ring a bell and make a big deal about a winner. But they have 4 or 5 stations thru the store to catch everyone.

The "free gifts" are basically tourist trinkets, a way to get you in to the store, and hope you'll actually buy something of value. Usually most of the stuff in the stores giving away the trinkets are tourist items as well, not all that valuable.

I look at the "recommended stores" guide to see which stores to skip. If you walk beyond these stores, you can find plenty of stores that will sell you the same crap, I mean, stuff and for a lower price.

I do like Hilo Hattie's, though. At least their lei won't fall apart or turn my skin green.

I look at the "recommended stores" guide to see which stores to skip. If you walk beyond these stores' date=' you can find plenty of stores that will sell you the same crap, I mean, stuff and for a lower price.[/quote']

SO AGREE WITH YOU. For a store to be "recommended" by the CD is the kiss of death for that store in my books. We have found some great deals visiting the stores who don't/won't pay the cruise lines for a recommendation. We used to visit for the free trinkets/charms as a souvenir for my daughter but a 9yo now even she recognizes that the freebies are mostly junk.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Hi

I think if you attend a shopping lecture, they will give you a coupon. Or maybe in the daily schedules left in your cabin each night.

One of the funniest things that I saw was a shop that had a list of "winning" cabin numbers from different cruise ships. I wrote them down and looked on the ship layouts, and most did not even exist!

Those trinkets are as worthless as the "discount" books you get on your cabin

We learned this lesson on our first cruise. The "free gift" is just a piece of junk to get you in the store in hopes you'll spend money there, and their prices are way over-inflated.

Look at it this way. You spent a bundle for your cruise. Broken down, you've paid money for every minute you're there chasing after your "free gift". The free gift isn't worth it. You'll be a whole lot better off spending that time doing something you really enjoy. If you love shopping, great, but don't enter a store you wouldn't otherwise enter just for a "free gift". Go into shops that look like they have items you might really want to buy.

FYI the shops right around the cruise terminals are high priced and from port to port, they all pretty much sell the same stuff. Lots of "made in China" or Taiwan, or Indonesia...... I haven't cruised a lot, but I have vacationed in a lot of cruise ports. We have learned if you want good deals and stuff that's actually made locally, get several blocks AWAY from the terminal.

we did that on our first cruise- went around to the various shops to collect our junk.

diamond internation has little charms each port has a different charm. crap i tell you- but its good for a little kid gift.

2000794950100508273JLNvwS_th.jpg

this person took pictures of her stash

2949604890101395114qTEUWU_th.jpg

JUNK is the key word. and the sales people are relentless. i have been in some of the shops where they make you look at their jewlery for over 10 minutes before they give it too you. i dont do it any more and enjoy the port city at my own pace without rushing from one shop too another.

Archived