Panasonic DMC-FZ200

c230k

Sue Great Pictures, if you are like me it's hard to pick which camera to use, the A6000 or the FZ200. I use the FZ200 for the long shots and carry when I only need one camera and do not have to change lens. Both our GREAT cameras.

Tom :cool:

Another Tom signing in to totally agree. Both are terrific cameras!

I agree with you both, I love BOTH cameras, for different situations. I just got a 50 mm 1.8 for the A6000, so I have been having fun with that. But for the weekend in Tennessee, I brought the FZ200 for some extra reach and quick use. Having to decide is a nice "problem" to have!

Would believe our FZ200, still selling at almost original price, has a NEW replacement. Read here:http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2470823357/panasonic-introduces-lumix-dmc-fz300-splash-and-dust-proof-fz200-successor?utm_campaign=generic&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&ref=notification&ref_=pe_1674010_132618830

Think I keep what I have for now. Time will tell, will be release Oct. this year.

Would believe our FZ200, still selling at almost original price, has a NEW replacement. Read here:http://www.dpreview.com/articles/2470823357/panasonic-introduces-lumix-dmc-fz300-splash-and-dust-proof-fz200-successor?utm_campaign=generic&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&ref=notification&ref_=pe_1674010_132618830

Think I keep what I have for now. Time will tell, will be release Oct. this year.

My FZ200 is getting old. Will look for sales of FZ300 in 2016. Not much is new.

dpreview says:

Panasonic has announced the Lumix DMC-FZ300, a 24X superzoom equipped with 4K video that's designed to withstand a little bit of bad weather. This successor to the FZ200 keeps that camera's 25-600mm equivalent F2.8 zoom lens and 12MP Live MOS sensor, while adding a newer version of its Venus Engine image processor.

The autofocus system has been updated with Panasonic's DFD (Depth from Defocus) technology which the company says reduces focus times to just 0.09 secs, and also improves its tracking focus ability. Speaking of fast, the FZ300 can also shoot continuous at up to 12 fps (6 fps in C-AF mode). The camera uses a Hybrid O.I.S. system providing 2-axis stabilization for stills shooting and 5-axis IS in video recording (though not in 4K).

• 2 weeks later...

Based on what you have read, do you think the FZ300 is worth the upgrade? It's listing for about $598.00, they are still selling the FZ200 at B&H for $397.00. It will be interesting. I did but the Panasonic FZ70, for the long zoom, fun camera for wildlife, can't beat the price.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well it's been 3 years since I started and watched this discussion. Think it's time, based on the joy using my FZ200, to invest in the new FZ300. Time will tell, but looks like a winner!!!!

Edited by c230k

Well it's been 3 years since I started and watched this discussion. Think it's time, based on the joy using my FZ200, to invest in the new FZ300. Time will tell, but looks like a winner!!!!

I will get there soon after I hear about your experience! Have to watch for good sale! Have 0ver 200K photos with my FZ200! And some of them are good :D

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

Cruising (and posting) newbie here. As someone interested in wildlife photography would be interested to know more details on your kingfisher shot. Lovely bird but noticed the picture is fairly 'grainy/noisy', is this to do with the camera settings, the ISO, noise reduction etc?

I am used to using SLR cameras but considering the idea of a non-SLR to also take on our upcoming cruise. Also welcome thoughts from others who may have used SLRs but have discovered an excellent non-SLR option. Thanks in advance.

Also welcome thoughts from others who may have used SLRs but have discovered an excellent non-SLR option. Thanks in advance.

My first post-SLR camera was the Lumix FZ200. It does an excellent job, as you can see from this thread, but for whatever reason I have just never "loved" this camera. (A huge plus for it is that it's so light.) I have since gone mirrorless, with the Sony a6000, and totally love it. (There's a separate thread on here for that camera.)

My first post-SLR camera was the Lumix FZ200. It does an excellent job, as you can see from this thread, but for whatever reason I have just never "loved" this camera. (A huge plus for it is that it's so light.) I have since gone mirrorless, with the Sony a6000, and totally love it. (There's a separate thread on here for that camera.)

Hi. I will be honest: I don't know the first thing about mirrorless and I am not ready to change 'systems'. I may still consider a lighter 'all in one' non-SLR but to be honest for my upcoming cruise I think my dSLR body and lenses plus smaller Olympus Tough camera should be able to cover most things.

Check out the Panasonic FZ70. Used it last week on New England Cruise and the super zoom did a great job, even at 1200mm. For only around $250.00 think it is a great buy. Range is from 20mm to 1200mm.

Thanks to the info in this thread and other discussions in this forum, I have ordered an FZ200 for our Alaskan cruise next spring. This will be for whale-watching specifically and general wildlife/scenic photos on the cruise.

I'm still tempted to go the used dSLR route, but I'm trying very hard to quiet that voice in my head; it could get expensive if I start listening to it. Thanks to Havoc315 and others for this educational thread on $200-$300 cruise camera options: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225778

For reference, my current cameras are a pair of used Sony point-n-shoots (H70 and H90). They are small but take surprisingly good pictures in decent light. One has 16x optical zoom (H90, mine) and the other has 10x optical zoom (H70, hers).

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading his book and ordered some accessories for the FZ-200 (case, memory cards, extra battery, filters, monopod). I think it is going to work well for the spring cruise and general wildlife/nature photography. I'm returning to the local reservoir this afternoon to practice with the non-auto camera modes and setting up specific shots.

Here are a few from last weekend: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=47857751&postcount=3087

Photo's taken at a long range can cause a haze look to the picture. I have just bought photoshop 14, which in one click will remove haze from a picture. Just an idea.

before:

boat1_zvq2c_zpsyrw6owgj.jpg

after:boat1_zpsueztjdme.jpg

Check out this video on youtube, Graham does a great job teaching and also has a free ebook you can download. He is kind of like the godfather of the FZ200.

I have just watched the first 2. I learnt quite a few things I never knew so thanks for sharing this.

• 3 weeks later...
Using the auto setting, is there anyone who can help me why some photos turned out like this one

fe234525bca53c85a47da67d45b4375b.jpg

When the next photo was perfect?

Photo's taken at a long range can cause a haze look to the picture. I have just bought photoshop 14, which in one click will remove haze from a picture. You can go on-line and download for a 30 day free trial. I sometime use my Panasonic FZ70 superzoom and on the long range shop this software really helps.

Hi all

I have owned and used the FZ200 for a while now. I bought it for my 3month holiday last May (which included 40 days cruising. Previously I have used a Nikon D7000 and my D800 for other trips.

I must admit I was a little sceptical about the small sensor size of the FZ200 but went ahead and took the FZ anyway. I was so happy with the results from this camera.

One thing I did do was to download some tutorials from you tube by an English gentleman called Graham Horton on the FZ200. These cover all aspects of the camera and use. They helped immensely.

I would recommend them to anyone who owns or is planning to get one of these great little cameras.

Cheers

Kim