Panasonic DMC-FZ200

c230k

If I read this forum correctly, you've had the FZ200 for about 2 years now. Would you repurchase?

For a cruise to Alaska, is the 24x zoom "enough"?

I had a FZ150 prior to getting the FZ200. The lens on the 150 is the same except for the f2.8 throughout the whole zoom range.

The 24x zoom was sufficient to catch bears and sheep at relatively long distances. Of course the longer zoom on the Canon would bring them in closer - whether it would have had more detail is something else. Of course the Panasonic would be more useful in fading light which I encountered in Alaska.

I would repurchase the FZ200.

That being said. I usually use a Sony NEX where I do not need the extreme zoom (i.e. 200-600mm)

The 24x zoom was sufficient to catch bears and sheep at relatively long distances. Of course the longer zoom on the Canon would bring them in closer - whether it would have had more detail is something else. Of course the Panasonic would be more useful in fading light which I encountered in Alaska.

I would repurchase the FZ200.

Thank you and dileep for your responses.

Does it shot in burst mode? (I'm thinking that means you can hold the button down for continuous shots...please correct me if that's wrong.)

I'm thinking that continuous shooting mode will help me get some nice whale shots...you know, take 67 shots, get 1 good one. :D

Thank you and dileep for your responses.

Does it shot in burst mode? (I'm thinking that means you can hold the button down for continuous shots...please correct me if that's wrong.)

I'm thinking that continuous shooting mode will help me get some nice whale shots...you know, take 67 shots, get 1 good one. :D

I have used burst mode to get 5-7 shots. Don't remember if there is continuous or not. But who needs multiple shots to get one good one :D!

Edited by dileep

I bought this camera specifically for my Alaska cruise. It did not disappoint. I got some good wildlife photos. You will need the continuous mode for whale shots. I got a few good ones that way. Yes, there were plenty of people with bigger cameras and lenses but I did not want to haul that around the entire trip. This was a good compromise.

I bought this camera specifically for my Alaska cruise. It did not disappoint. I got some good wildlife photos. You will need the continuous mode for whale shots. I got a few good ones that way. Yes, there were plenty of people with bigger cameras and lenses but I did not want to haul that around the entire trip. This was a good compromise.

Thanks! I'm going to bite the bullet after Easter and get it. That will give me a couple of weeks to play with it before we head out.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

:D

Yes! Should you purchase the FZ200, you might get Graham Houghton's book on the FZ 200 at Amazon or look up Mr. Houghton's website where his book was available as an e-book and free.

But in his book, he wrote: "For the higher burst rates of 40 and 60 fps the mechanical shutter is replaced with an “electronic” shutter. The camera is in effect recording in a video mode with the exposures being recorded during a progressive sensor scan." He did say there was some distortion at that rate but showed examples of lesser speeds like 12fps which were very good indeed.

Yes it does, as others have noted. I recently purchased the FZ200 as an alternative to my DSLRs, for when I don't want to drag the heavier cameras around (my knees aren't what they used to be). I am still learning it. Here's a photo I took of a young sparrow; these birds as you know flit around pretty quickly. Not sure how the camera would do with whales at a much greater distance... You'll definitely want to practice using continuous mode. I find the zoo to be a good pre-trip option for trying out new camera gear.

Sparrow21024x768_zps2d3c0743.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

What a fun idea! I wonder if I can get there before we leave!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Before our trip to Antarctica, I spent a lot of time at the zoo with my (then) new 18-300mm lens, and also down along the shore to practice photographing birds in flight. I can't underscore how important it is to know your gear and to get out there practicing. Have a great trip!

Okay, I have to say this. The battery charger for the FZ200 is making me crazy. When it is charging, the light is solid green; when the battery is fully charged, the light goes off entirely. This is pretty much contrary to how every other charger I have works, from other camera batteries to my Kindle Fire, you name it -- solid green light means the battery is fully charged. Green is GO! Blinking light (whatever color) or solid red light means the battery is still charging. Red is STOP.

Pretty much universal indicators. Not sure why Panasonic felt the need to reinvent the wheel here.

Rant over, it's still a pretty nifty camera for something that's not a DSLR. :)

Okay, I have to say this. The battery charger for the FZ200 is making me crazy. When it is charging, the light is solid green; when the battery is fully charged, the light goes off entirely. This is pretty much contrary to how every other charger I have works, from other camera batteries to my Kindle Fire, you name it -- solid green light means the battery is fully charged. Green is GO! Blinking light (whatever color) or solid red light means the battery is still charging. Red is STOP.

Pretty much universal indicators. Not sure why Panasonic felt the need to reinvent the wheel here.

Rant over, it's still a pretty nifty camera for something that's not a DSLR. :)

On the positive side, the green light tells you clearly that the battery is charging! No light means the charger is not plugged in right when you start!

Well, I bit the bullet and my FZ200 got here Tuesday! I had a wee bit of time to play with it yesterday and uploaded pictures today. So far, I love it! And appreciate all of your opinions and tips!

My favorites are:

1800x600800x600640x480_zpsaba4e64d.jpg

4600x800600x800480x640_zpsf6400f29.jpg

7800x755800x755640x604_zps80dac483.jpg

So sorry if these photos are huge - I'm new to photobucket and need to learn a few things...

• 2 weeks later...
Nice pics everybody! I think I am going to try to talk my parents into this camera.

Mom has been wanting a DSLR, but she is upgrading from a silly point n shoot. Plus if they get a DSLR they would have to get a better lens for everyday use than the kit lens it comes with and that just adds up to too much $$$$

this Panasonic seems awesome!!!!

I might even consider it myself. is everybody happy with the 24x zoom? I know I've seen other bridge cameras with longer zooms so I was just curious.

anybody know if there is a camera similar to this pansonic but WITH the wifi? I feel like wifi would make things super easy for loading pics from camera to computer!

thoughts? thanks!

Get your mother to hold one. It is very light compared to many other cameras and that would probably appeal to her. I think it a first rate camera. The lens is superb. Any problems there were I created myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Can not believe I started this discussion almost 2 years ago and it's still going strong. Says alot about the Panasonic FZ200 and what it can do. Notice the price for a new camera shows how popular this camera is.

First taken about 40mm, second 185mm and last 600mm. The ship was moving at the time so this is approximate mm.

P1010018_zps0e9c62c4.jpg

P1010019_zps35d5ed5f.jpg

P1010022_zps9fc61271.jpg

Edited by c230k

• 2 weeks later...