Eclipse - don't think we will be back

thames_side

Frankly we were not pleased and told Celebrity so by letter. I believe in telling a business what we like, what we don't like, and giving them the opportunity to adjust to the feedback, or not. Their business, their call.

We also told them that on our Eclipse cruise scheduled for January 2013 if the noise level was not improved we would not be back to Celebrity.

My DW and I enjoy cruising, and we will continue to do so, but have no specific brand loyalty. If Celebrity won't meet our expectations, there are lots of other options.

We commented on the excessive constant music on a recent Eclipse cruise. We are booked on the Equinox in November. If things have not improved after than trip we will definitely cancel our February Eclipse cruise.

We love Celebrity but we LOVE to find a few quiet areas on the ship even more. Please Celebrity, turn it down just a wee bit. Thanks. Carry on.

It must be difficult to get the right balance. Personally I haven't been irritated by music on Celebrity ships.

There is a need to set an atmosphere of entertainment on the ship, especially at night. Perhaps you are right about choosing a line which suits you overall. Celebrity is fine for me!

Loud music should be only in the lounges in the evening.Who is in charge of music on each ship?Love Celebrity but will change to a line without blaring music in a minute.

Who do I inform re my irritation with this part of cruising.I would be happy if even one area would be set aside for reading----no music at all.Not that difficult to do.

Our January 2012 cruise on the Solstice was far too noisy, horrible constant music in every public area, and in our opinion completely inappropriate to a relaxing vacation.

Frankly we were not pleased and told Celebrity so by letter. I believe in telling a business what we like, what we don't like, and giving them the opportunity to adjust to the feedback, or not. Their business, their call.

We also told them that on our Eclipse cruise scheduled for January 2013 if the noise level was not improved we would not be back to Celebrity.

My DW and I enjoy cruising, and we will continue to do so, but have no specific brand loyalty. If Celebrity won't meet our expectations, there are lots of other options.

We've had the same situation on the Eclipse this year.

We'll definitely focus on "other options" in the future but mainly due to the ship design issues.

My husband and I did an Alaska cruise on the Infinity at the end of July, and had a similar problem. The atrium/grand staircase wasn't so bad during the day, but during the evening the "music" coming from the martini bar was deafening. They started the music in the Oceanview cafe way too early in the morning, too. But what we really noticed was the over-amplification in the theater. When Brent Nixon, the naturalist, was speaking, there was no problem, but during a show I had to use the earplugs I always carry with me, just in case.

(Yes, I have sensitive hearing and always use earplugs at movies.)

I told Celebrity of my concerns on the comment form at the end of the cruise.

When we were on the Century last winter we would sit in the martini bar with friends and shout over the music, but at least you could shout over the music! On the Infinity we just ran past, hands over our ears.

We're going on the Eclipse next summer (the August Iceland/Norway cruise) and I sure hope they've dialed things back a bit by then.

It must be difficult to get the right balance. Personally I haven't been irritated by music on Celebrity ships.

There is a need to set an atmosphere of entertainment on the ship, especially at night. Perhaps you are right about choosing a line which suits you overall. Celebrity is fine for me!

I'll second this Tony, next we'll be talking about the loud music in the martini bar...

Remember that thread going on forever .

I would consider myself of the younger generation, but even i found it too noisy on silhouette, particularly in the afternoon by the pool when i fanced a snooze, the band were so loud!! Gosh, perhaps i am officially old??!!! (40) :(

Not many major cruise lines would survive if they had silence in the afternoon around the pool with everyone asleep.

Face it there are prime times for loud entertainment. That's what the masses enjoy. Constant loud music is not required. So be specific with what you expect. If you expect all music at a low level so that you can sleep or talk over it, it's probably not going to happen on a major line.

I think what would make the majority of people happy is a mix of quite spaces, areas with mellow classical, and a few places in the evening ( Martni bar ) with a louder , younger music mix.

I , personally like the music in the Martini bar in the evening. I don't like the music loop everywhere all the time though. It didn't annoy me, but I could do without it. There are evening venues like Michaels club with a music style that doesn't appeal to me, but that's fine.

Everyone should have an area of the ship that suits their style, and music tolerance. No single " group " should be able to dictate a preference that is adopted ship wide.

Everyone should have an area of the ship that suits their style, and music tolerance. No single " group " should be able to dictate a preference that is adopted ship wide.

Best answer yet - totally agree with you on this one ------ thinking about it I don't think there is a quiet area or one with a classical slant. Apologies if we missed it on Silhouette.

I just got back from Iceland, Faroes and Norway too.

I think the Eclipse is great, however 90% of guests were brits and the average was about 75. As someone of the so called younger generation, about half of the average age on board, I disagree. The music was not too loud. It had to be a good volume to allow people on all 3 floors around the atrium the ability to hear it. Infact I understand that the music is set 10db lower on that cruise than cruises in the usa and caribbean.

I am sorry if you feel the younger generation is encroaching in your territory, but times change. Maybe in 40 years time I will feel the music is too loud but for now I have no complaints.

One of the inherent problems with the S class ships is the designers really screwed up by not including a Rendezvous Lounge type venue like there is on the M class. So, they use the area near to the Guest Services desk as their nightly dance lounge. The problem with that is, they play that darned music so freaking loud that you can hear it up to deck 14, and anyone with cabins near that elevator lobby hears that horribly loud music until midnight every night.

Hey Celebrity TONE IT DOWN A BIT, OK?

Not many major cruise lines would survive if they had silence in the afternoon around the pool with everyone asleep.

Face it there are prime times for loud entertainment. That's what the masses enjoy. Constant loud music is not required. So be specific with what you expect. If you expect all music at a low level so that you can sleep or talk over it, it's probably not going to happen on a major line.

It does happen.

Princess ships have four separate pool areas for all tastes.

Was 10 days on the Equinox in June, never noticed loud music :confused:

Door slamming is do to -ve pressure in the ship

Me neither. Our room was just near the glass elevators and we never heard anything loud or annoying. Mummsie

I also have issues with the loud bands playing in the Atrium and it rafting up into the card and library areas, but we had a SR right off the center glass elevators and didnt get any noise in our SR. And I listened for it, because I was expecting it.

Den

One of the inherent problems with the S class ships is the designers really screwed up by not including a Rendezvous Lounge type venue like there is on the M class. So, they use the area near to the Guest Services desk as their nightly dance lounge. The problem with that is, they play that darned music so freaking loud that you can hear it up to deck 14, and anyone with cabins near that elevator lobby hears that horribly loud music until midnight every night.

Hey Celebrity TONE IT DOWN A BIT, OK?

Loud enough that even with the doors closed, it was impossible to hear the duo playing in CellarMasters.

And, to agree with earlier postings, they ruined my nice quiet mornings outside the buffet because it was so obtrusive. So we spent the cruise on the balcony except when eating. Saved a bunch of $$$ on the bar bill that way.

j

We had similar noise issues on the Silhouette last December. The main pool area was often overwhelmed by blasting music and there was often loud music blasting in the Atrium (often for dance classes) which went through a good part of the ship. This music really ruined the atmosphere of the Hideaway which is open to the Atrium. It was impossible to relax in the Hideaway and quietly listen to my iPod. Perhaps Celebrity needs to start giving out free noise cancelling headphones :)

Hank

I so enjoy the string quartet´s in Cova- äh All Baccio when they were finished, the canned music was turned back on. It is okay for an hour in the evening in the Grand Foyer and people seem to enjoy that. Nothing against a liveley athmosphere, but one can overdo it.

Michael

I've only ever been on one cruise, which was on the Eclipse in March this year so I don't have a lot to go by. However, I'm also of the "younger" generation (mid 30s) and can't say I noticed the music, with the exception of the area around the molecular bar. The music just in that one place was so loud I swear it would make your ears bleed if you stayed longer than 5 minutes !

I just got back from Iceland, Faroes and Norway too.

I think the Eclipse is great, however 90% of guests were brits and the average was about 75. As someone of the so called younger generation, about half of the average age on board, I disagree. The music was not too loud. It had to be a good volume to allow people on all 3 floors around the atrium the ability to hear it. Infact I understand that the music is set 10db lower on that cruise than cruises in the usa and caribbean.

I am sorry if you feel the younger generation is encroaching in your territory, but times change. Maybe in 40 years time I will feel the music is too loud but for now I have no complaints.

So what you are saying is that Celebrity should set the music volume to suit 10% of the passengers and not worry about upsetting 90% of them.

Either I am deaf or you must have the acute hearing of bats, but i do not notice any loud music on board ( with the exception of the ghastly band with the lady who cannot sing, who play by the pool, interrupting my snooze. That is uncalled for).;)

The gentle piped music of Karen Carpenter in to cafe is hardly Heavy Metal.

Once we went to the Martini Bar and there was no music, it was soulless and empty. We asked them to put the music on. I don't know what they play in the MB, but that blend of music makes the place come alive.

Twice we have had room just by the lifts and the Hideaway, and we have never heard a thing.

Archived