Matching luggage

sadiecat

I would like to know what others do regarding luggage. Do you use a complete set of matching luggage or do you have a hodgepodge of suitcases. My DH and I are not agreeing on this matter so I thought I would check here to see what others have. I want all of the luggage to match and DH said it does not matter. What do you think?

It doesn't matter to me in the least, but, then again, no one's ever accused me of being fashionable ;) My two "suitcases" not only don't match in colour, they don't even match in material or style (the larger is a black and grey rolling duffel bag, the smaller is a burgundy polycarbonate spinner). There are many more things I'd rather spend my money on than matching luggage.

The fact is, no one else cares if someone else's luggage is matched. It's just luggage.

We have a couple of pieces that match but only because they were bought at the same time. We rarely take both of them at the same time. The rest is a real hodge podge of functional, sturdy luggage that we bought at a good price.

We have traveled with my DH's company multiple times. Even the CEO and other top officers of the company who make exceptionally good salaries travel with good, functional luggage and rarely have I seen matched luggage. They all travel often enough to know that you want a few good pieces over fashion.

We have a hodgepodge....we use the bags that function for each trip...I have black, gray and red....all different sizes.

I don't care if it "matches"....why would I? I'm pretty sure no one gives it a second thought, and if they do, how bored must they be?

Heck, on road trips, some of our "luggage" consists of paper bags and plastic trash bags.....it really doesn't matter WHAT you bring your stuff in!

Sorry, but I am a little anal:rolleyes: Hodge podge would drive me absolutely crazy:eek: Been traveling for years and have always had a good set of matching luggage. Last year I fell in love with the incline rollers and bought a new set of Samsonite. My son inherited the old set.

My suitcase is red, my carry on is black, sometimes I throw a Vera Bradley print into the mix. So I have to say as well, function over fashion.

If you are in the market for new luggage, you can always buy matching. A lot of people don't, we have quite a few who buy 2 different brands so they get the most functional pieces for their needs. We don't sell "sets" in the luggage store where I work. Those you have to find in a discount store...most of the time 3 of the 5 pieces aren't used and are fairly useless.

My preference is to have matching... however if it doesn't match I'll still be okay. On my 2011 cruise I learned the value in matching though. We had an incident where Carnival did not put one of the suitcases into the correct pickup area. When the employees were assisting us with finding the bag it made it much easier to have the extra eyes looking for it when we could say "it looks just like this one but bigger". We had brand color and style all right there for them to compare visually.

Hi -- I have a set of Altantic tapestry luggage that is at least 25 years old. I have several sizes and have used them many, many times for cruises and air-car trips. They are so old, the two largest are too heavy for air travel now, so we have had to get new roll-aboards. We have had the most-used medium size repaired twice, but with good results.

I agree that it is easier to spot/find your luggage if it is unique in some way -- all black looks like 90% of all the other black ones. We have watched our luggage board planes and ships with the "Yippee" feeling many times.

Margee;)

Hahahahah! Match? The only thing that matches is the brand (LLBean) and style.

DH has a green carryon (small pullman), mine is lavender. Then a year later we decided we needed new larger suitcases. LLBean no longer had those colors, so we have 2 large RED ones. Same style, but...

Really easy to spot on the luggage carousel!

The beach bag I use for my second carryon is turquoise.

We were at LAX and called for our shuttle. Dispatch asked us for our description. I said, "Just look for the colorful luggage."

The BEST piece of luggage for cruises is a "suiter". You can hang dresses and suits in it, and put shoes in the bottom. It then folds over and looks like any other suitcase. We can fit a LOT in it. They come in different widths, much wider than a garment bag. The only problem is they are impossible to find at Marshalls/TJMaxx and we've had to buy them at Macy's.

I don't want my luggage to look too good --like there's expensive clothes in it. I can't figure out why anyone would travel with LV luggage. It looks great, but to me , it says "take me".

I use whichever bags on each trip that are the size and shape I want for that vacation. I don't care if they match in any way whatsoever. Sometimes I want a smaller duffel than other times; same for garment bags etc

I don't give a thought to matching it up. :o

My preference is to have matching... however if it doesn't match I'll still be okay. On my 2011 cruise I learned the value in matching though. We had an incident where Carnival did not put one of the suitcases into the correct pickup area. When the employees were assisting us with finding the bag it made it much easier to have the extra eyes looking for it when we could say "it looks just like this one but bigger". We had brand color and style all right there for them to compare visually.

I always put a distinctive color/pattern luggage strap around every piece of our luggage. It is a great help in locating the 'same as everyone else's' in the pile of bags. I've collected them through the years and find them so helpful.

Sorry, but I am a little anal:rolleyes: Hodge podge would drive me absolutely crazy:eek: Been traveling for years and have always had a good set of matching luggage. Last year I fell in love with the incline rollers and bought a new set of Samsonite. My son inherited the old set.

I am very anal :D. I am thinking about buying a set of Britto by Heys USA. They are very colorful. I like to be different :D.

7146851335_c3a3dea9a5_z.jpg

A couple of Christmas' ago I treated myself to a matching set of luggage, but the main point was to buy something that was easily ID as mine in airports or cruise terminals.

I bought a set of 4 of American flyer with brown background and bit blue polka dots on it (your husband may protest), but I got it for $149 with free shipping. Its not top notch stuff (although I bought it on a discount site and the actual American flyer site had it marked up about $300), but it has lasted me 3 years now (5 year warrenty) and I have yet to have it mistaken for someone else' luggage.

hodge-podge here too...my carryon is purple, DH's is black..our checked bags consist of 2 light blue, one royal blue, 1 dark green and 1 black. They are either hard or soft sided...

And, NO...I don't check that many bags! Just have that many!

We have a collection of suitcases from various sets over the years. I use whatever size suitcases I need for that particular trip.

It also makes it easier when living out of a suitcase, or needing something in a hurry before unpacking, to be able to say, "It's in the black one" and only one suitcase fits the description.

Most definitely hodge-podge. I usually take 3 of my matching set (turquoise), along with a vintage train case (green.)The colors clash, which does bother me, but I deal. DH has one army green and a black/red rolling duffel.

My big suitcase and rollerbag carryon match, but if one goes, I won't necessarily go looking to match again. My scuba bag is very different in shape and color. I put clothes in there in addition to the scuba gear. I prefer function over form. Once I get onboard, the luggage goes under the bed not to be seen again until the final night.

Archived