Shadow across the top of the world

Silver Spectre

50 people disembarked today in Kodiak so we now have around 140!

I think it's great with less people because u really get spot on service.

Everything has been well attended. My trivia team got off in Kodiak so I've joined another team.

Bingo doesn't attract many people but I like it and think it's fun. I only play it when I'm on SS.

All the reservations are very easy to obtain because the ship isn't full.

I went to Le Champagne tonite and I was the only one there! It was superb and I had a fantastic meal. I had to waddle back to my suite - I ate way too much but it was great.

I have lots of menus so if anyone wants copies, just email me and I'll send them to u when I get home.

TC2, the Lampadina Bar is on Deck 5 and is VERY easy to miss. It's close to the shops. I walk past it all the time but haven't been in there.

Anyone thinking of taking suite 533 - do it, it's a brilliant location and very quiet. I'm really enjoying it althought the weather is too cold to spend time on the terrace.

I'm just back from Liars Club - it was very funny tonite. Can't wait to find out about Jimmy's 5th wife:D:D:D

We are now on our way to Russia!

Cheers

Jennifer

Thanks for your posts Jennifer. This is another that's on our bucket list. We too would enjoy a ship that's not full.

I wonder if your butler Allan is the same Allan who was our butler on Spirit in December/January? He was lovely and really couldn't do enough for us.

Morning Jennifer,

Very interesting reviews-we shall be on the Shadow Singapore to Sydney over Christmas this year.

Could I please just ask-what are you finding the situation over shuttle buses. Are they still in evidence. I have been concerned from recent correspondence that the shuttle bus service was being cut back due to cost, and it would be great to learn the up to date situation, rather than from office based staff.

I have even raised the question with the Chairman of Silversea, but he has not deigned to reply as yet, so hopefully a fellow cruiser might be able to help.

Thank you

Nigella

It's possible that it is the same Allan! My Allan finished his contract on the Spirit in April.

Him and Her

The shuttle bus was in Kodiak and ran all day into the Visitors Centre. We were right in town for the other Alaskan ports.

It's cold, rainy and grey although some blue sky was spotted today. About 8C presently.

We cruised down past the Aleutian Islands. I never dreamt I'd ever be in this part of the world...it's very remote.

Last night was very rocky and I couldn't eat all my dinner so went to bed early to escape the movement.

If anyone's interested, my internet package was 250 minutes for $85.

I've been to lots of lectures and cooking demonstrations - all have been well attended.

Also seen lots of whales.

Off to lunch now and some whale spotting is on for this arvo in the Observation Lounge.

Cheers

Jennifer

Been so busy that I have not been on here for 3 days. Yesterday was a cloudy day at sea in the Bering Sea. Had a little sunshine in the morning but was only 7C. Late afternoon brought some showers and some amazing rainbows, including one across the stern of the ship. It was cold outside anyway but the wind was gusting at 60k's, making it damned cold.

Good trivia day, 34/37 and a top.

Dinner with el Capitano and some of the wrinklies.

Tomorrow we cross the International Dateline and lose Sunday, gone forever.

I cannot remember if this was picked up earlier his summer but its terrible that the Passenger List has gone. This is another major backward step by SS, and I really hope that they can man up and bring it back.

Grumble over.

Thank you so much for your posts. It is interesting that SS advertises the cruise as if one day didn't disappear:confused: Do you have any comments on how the Shadow is doing with the 10+ foot waves?

Just a fairly mild roll at the moment, but was a little bumpier last night, made it slightly difficult for the SS Artists, but they did a great job.

Actually we cross the dateline at 5am, so we do get some Sunday afterall.

Silver has summed it up pretty well.

Tonite we are rolling around somewhere in the Bering Sea. I've taken my pills so am ok.

I've seen some big waves crash on the Terrace (deck 5).

We have won trivia 2 times running now....Mr Silver is pretty good:D

I've really enjoyed the food, especially some of the soups...yummy!

Tommorrow we lose Sunday and jump straight into Monday.

BTW, the spa expects gratuities...it's written on all their material!

I'm going to bed now so this is all for now.

Cheers

Jennifer

Loving these posts..can almost feel the rough seas! This is a crossing we hope to take in 2014, so we are particularly fascinated by your experiences.

Can you tell us who are in charge of the MDR and La Terrassa? We will be going on board for a B2B (Tokyo to Bangkok) in Mid October. Can't wait!

Jennifer am I mistaken or is Jimmy CD now? And will he be around for awhile?

Yes Jimmy is the CD and he is fabulous:D (Jimmy I want brownie points!)

We have just left Petropavlovsk after a fabulous day up at the volcanoes. The sun has been shining all day and a blue sky...just great. It's quite an adventure on the ATVs...bouncy when driving down the river bed, but fun nevertheless.

The volcanoes are big mothers and one was smoking! Fantastic - I really luv volcanoes.

I'm running out of internet minutes now so will post again when I'm actually in Japan.

Cheers

Jennifer

From champs to bums, crashed and burned at yesterday's Trivia with less than 50%. Can only blame an outstanding trip by ATV to visit the volcanos in Petrapavlosk. Outstanding views, excellent guides and wonderful hospitality.

Great sail out of the bay yesterday evening, seas much calmer. Today almost flat calm, seas like a mirror, can watch the Petrels and their mirror images floating with us.

Special treat, a passing pod of Orcas.

ging466 and SilverSpectre, thanx so much for your posts. I have been on the Cloud and waited until home to catch up on CC. Sounds like a great trip. Geez, I guess I am one of the wrinklees!...and pleased to be!..it sure beats the alternatives. Fair winds and calm seas as we say on the water.

Was the ATV visit to the volcanos a Silversea excursion? If so, how many hours was it and if you don't mind, what was the cost. Just trying to budget the excursions for this sailing.

Thanks so much.

Jackie

Hi Jackie, Yes it was and it cost $199 each. It was a full day - approx 7 hours

Archived