Veendam failed latest cdc inspection

With brown liquid dripping from above into the clean pans that were put back on the rack, I will wait until the inspections show improvements before booking on the Veendam. I booked mark the cdc page and will check this site before booking a ship next time. Glad the Zaandam did okay on its inspection report.

PARTIAL QUOTE

With brown liquid dripping from above into the clean pans that were put back on the rack, I will wait until the inspections show improvements before booking on the Veendam...

I'd like to imagine that dripping brown liquid was chocolate sauce...Yeah, I know, fat chance that's what it was :eek::eek::eek::D

PARTIAL QUOTE

I'd like to imagine that dripping brown liquid was chocolate sauce...Yeah, I know, fat chance that's what it was :eek::eek::eek::D

I have to admit this is truly making me sick to my stomach.

It's almost dinnertime here.... I need to stop reading this thread. :eek:

This is what really bother me. No wonder they are in code red!

Item No.: 13

Site: Galley-Warewashing

Violation: Several managers were observed in the area but they did not shut down the outboard flight-type conveyor warewash machine for repair before the inspector arrived. Every 1 to 5 seconds, the magnetic sensor on the clean end of the in-use outboard flight-type conveyor warewash machine was stopping the machine from running. There was a leak in a water line inside the deckhead directly above the machine and water was dripping into the machine and contaminating the clean dishes after they were sanitized. There was also brown liquid leaking from the deckhead onto the left corner of the clean landing of the machine. Workers were observed taking the contaminated dishes and putting them into clean storage racks.

Recommendation: Because of the risks for foodborne illness inherent to the food operation, ensure the supervisor or person in charge of food operations on the vessel demonstrates to VSP - during inspections and on request - knowledge of foodborne disease prevention, application of the Hazard Analysis Critical Point principles, and the food-safety guidelines in this manual. Ensure that the person in charge demonstrates this knowledge: (1) By compliance with these guidelines

There is just NO excuse, NONE. The ultimate responsibility is the Captain's and from there on down to whoever is to be inspecting health and cleanliness conditions on the ship. No wonder the crew has poor morale from all reports; they are powerless. If Seattle refuses to fund and authorize repairs of something as disgusting and dangerous as clean dishes being contaminated then the Captain has to stand up for what's right for his ship and his pax. That's his responsibility.

I have to admit this is truly making me sick to my stomach.

It's almost dinnertime here.... I need to stop reading this thread. :eek:

LOL, Yes, me too...but I'm dieting, so I think I'll print out this thread and read it every time I want to curb my appetite :eek::D -S.

dr.dawg, being a native New Yorker, I am one of those passengers who departs from NY ports. Thank you for your very revealing comments. (That is to say those comments reveal much about the author). BTW, don't worry, I don't think your comments will get you "LOTS of hate", more likely a few good laughs :D Cheers, S.

I too got a good laugh out of that post. Also, a native New Yorker.

To all of you who answered the most biased post, (sorry I could not include all answers) I've ever read on this site, may I suggest that instead of answering a Bigot, you ignore it & report it to the Mgmt of Cruise Critic!:mad::mad:.Just use the little red triangle on the right hand side of this post..

I'm Shocked! Have never read such poison & blatant discrimination on this board & don't believe that CC Mgmt. approves of Bigots..IMO there is no place for Bigots on CC..:mad::mad:

Betty

Thanks for your sensible suggestion! I will definitely follow through! Such blatant hate has no place on these boards or anywhere!

Thanks, Laminator.

What strikes me as odd about this situation is that normally it is not a surprise inspection. The crew knows ahead of time. That gives the crew the time to tidy everything ahead of time. And they still had a such a poor mark.

Is it possible that the crew is simply tired of hearing all of the complaints.

Actually, I don't think they have advance notice.

They can pretty much figure out that if they have not had an inspection for some number of months, it is likely their next U.S. port they well might but I don't think they get an actual schedule. These inspections are unannounced though certainly anticipated to be 'upcoming' whether this week or next or even the next after that.

Just to put this in context, a whole boatload of HAL cheerleaders jumped up and down attempting to defend the line and disparage the CDC last month when this came up on an earlier thread.

Until Veendam, ...... Rotterdam had scored worse than any other ship from a major cruise line. Any score below 85 is considered unsatisfactory.

Rotterdam was a borderline 86.

Rotterdam -- 86

Veendam -- previously 93 -- now with a failing 77

Zaandam -- 93

Amsterdam -- 94

Maasdam -- 95

Westerdam -- 95

Ryndam -- 97

Prinsendam -- 98

Statendam -- 98

Noordam -- 99

Oosterdam -- 99

Volendam -- 99

Zuiderdam -- 99

Eurodam -- 100

Nieuw Amsterdam -- 100

Since Jan 1, 2012, a total of 25 ships have scored 100. HAL has two.

The only ship (until Veendam) to rate lower than Rotterdam this year was the MV Yorktown, a 138-passenger ship on the Great Lakes, rated filthiest at 74.

Only one other ship scored 86 -- tied with Rotterdam for second worst -- the Caribbean Fantasy. No other ships scored below 90. (until Veendam)

In post #19 -- I mentioned that just 4 months prior to the Veendam's August CDC report she had a 93 in April.

Hotel manager and staff managers SHOULD be in trouble.

Actually, I don't think they have advance notice.

They can pretty much figure out that if they have not had an inspection for some number of months, it is likely their next U.S. port they well might but I don't think they get an actual schedule. These inspections are unannounced though certainly anticipated to be 'upcoming' whether this week or next or even the next after that.

I've been on one of the ships, i don't remember which one, where the crew knew ahead of time. Everyone was unhappy that their breaks would be missed and that they could not leave the ship at all. However this occurred in the US. It's possible Canada does it differently. But I am pretty sure they know so that all of the key personnel remains onboard. I'll ask when I am on the Eurodam in 2 weeks. The Eurodam scored 100 so I feel better about that. But following the Eurodam is the Veendam in November. If there is a problem on the Veendam I will just disembark.

I too got a good laugh out of that post. Also, a native New Yorker.

No apologies needed, I too am a native New Yorker, actually a Long Islander, but close enough:)...LOL..I honestly didn't get a good laugh as also found another post by this individual making a crude remark about a group from another state..I decided to report both posts & hopefully this poster will be sanctioned..

I finally decided in my old age, not to accept stupid remarks from simpleminded & bigoted individuals..

Betty

Here in PA when a restaurant fails an inspection, they are shut down right away -- and can not re-open until all the corrections are made.

BUT -- it is my understanding that when a cruise ship gets a failing score, they have -- I think -- 60 - 90 days to make all the recommended corrections.

Hope someone who knows about the number of days can come along and give us more information.

Well, I must say that reading this confirms in my mind that HAL will never get another dime of my money. We were on that Aug 19 sailing of the Veendam. It was, by far, the worst cruise we have ever been on. BY FAR. And now, the CDC has proven just how far HAL has allowed this ship to sink (pardon the pun), while all the while charging top dollar to cruise on that same ship.

For shame, Holland America. :mad:

"This cruise ship has not submitted their Corrective Action Report."

http://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionCorrectiveActionMessage.aspx

The unsatisfactory inspection, with a score of 77, was conducted on the 19th August.

HAL - Why hasn't a Corrective Action Report been submitted?

Thank goodness for CC, I was currently researching cruising with HAL, for the first time, on Veendam.

Well' date=' I must say that reading this confirms in my mind that HAL will never get another dime of my money. We were on that Aug 19 sailing of the Veendam. It was, by far, the worst cruise we have ever been on. BY FAR. And now, the CDC has proven just how far HAL has allowed this ship to sink (pardon the pun), while all the while charging top dollar to cruise on that same ship.[/size']

For shame, Holland America. :mad:

The Veedam is the final reason we left HAL about 5 years ago. A state of neglect and an attitude of "who cares" and we said goodbye HAL. Veendam was not the only ship that lacked just general maintenance issues. Veendam was the final straw and we now are happily Diamond Plus Royal and Celebrity Elite passengers.

I am a little confused about this. The CDC fails a ship and proceeds to let it sail. If the you fail the health department test here they shut you down. This was the perfect opportunity to get the problems fixed. All the CDC has to say is the ship is not sailing until you pass your inspection. This would have gotten HAL's attention quickly and I am guessing numerous problems resolved. Why have teh inspection if there is no teeth to it.

So the majority of the PAX who do not follow CC have no clue about the problems but the agency that is responsible for passenger safety fails the ship and then let's it sail on. This does not make alot of sense to me. Why bother with the inspection anyway.

You need to read the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program Manual to get the answer you seek.

CDC VSP standards are extremely strict. I do not know of any restaurant in America that would get a score as HIGH as 77 if they were inspected under the same standards.

That is not to excuse the poor score on Veendam. The rest of us manage to receive high scores on our ships - Veendam should have been able to do the same.

In any case, to save you the trouble of wading through the VSP Manual, the CDC does have the authority to prevent a ship from sailing from or to a US Port if they believe that conditions onboard pose any health threats to passengers or crew.

In this case, despite a very high number of technical violations, the inspectors determined that nobody was in any jeopardy.

I would be more worried to have a meal at your local McDonalds, Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. After inspecting many of these over the years, I would have fired all the employees and closed them down. Their cleanliness standards would never come close to passing a CDC inspection.

Bruce Muzz........

Can you/would you confirm whether or not the crew knows in advance when there will be a USPH Inspection or is it more they 'know they are about due' and prepare just in case?

It is my understanding these are unannounce Inspections.

Thanks if you can confirm that or correct me if I am wrong.

You need to read the CDC Vessel Sanitation Program Manual to get the answer you seek.

CDC VSP standards are extremely strict. I do not know of any restaurant in America that would get a score as HIGH as 77 if they were inspected under the same standards.

That is not to excuse the poor score on Veendam. The rest of us manage to receive high scores on our ships - Veendam should have been able to do the same.

In any case, to save you the trouble of wading through the VSP Manual, the CDC does have the authority to prevent a ship from sailing from or to a US Port if they believe that conditions onboard pose any health threats to passengers or crew.

In this case, despite a very high number of technical violations, the inspectors determined that nobody was in any jeopardy.

I would be more worried to have a meal at your local McDonalds, Olive Garden or Cheesecake Factory. After inspecting many of these over the years, I would have fired all the employees and closed them down. Their cleanliness standards would never come close to passing a CDC inspection.

Thanks Bruce Muzz

I am really glad you said that it does not excuse the score of the Veendam.

I really hope you are not expecting us to compare the Veendam to our local McDonalds :confused::confused:

I would like to think that the two experiences are not comparable. Certainly the prices are not.:rolleyes:

It's very sad that the Veendam is getting a lot of attention for all the wrong reasons. Publicity like this is not good for the ship, the line, etc.

and not something that the crew or corporate big whigs should be proud of. If there's a problem, why not pull the ship out and get it fixed?

Better to lose a few thousand than have to give away the cruises at rock bottom prices as the word gets out. JMVO;) I think they will lose more in the long run if they don't meet the problem head on.

Archived