My Time Dining Question and dress code

Poochie

With My time Dining, can you make reservations day by day? I have signed up for My time Dining but keep getting emails asking me to make reservations now, before the curise. I thought I could do this each day? Can anyone help with this? Also, does anyone know the dress code for the specialty restaurant on Explorer of the Seas? I think it is Portafini. Do men have to wear a jacket?

Any help with these questions, would be helpful we leave for our cruise on October 14.

Thank you.

Yes - you can make reservation day by day - you can also change reservations already done - I'm only using MTD - I like the flexibility - I'll say that the dress code for the speciality restaurants is the same as for the rest of the ship that day

We used MTD on the Oasis and loved it. We made reserv. before we left home. We did this so we would not have a conflict with our show times and dining times. You can do it day by day or ahead of time. If you do it ahead of time and you want to change it after you board, you can do that also.

Enjoy your cruise.

I'm just gonna copy/paste this from my Explorer Review about MTD:

Forgot to mention MY TIME DINING....Ahh My Time Dining....You think your free to freestyle it and show up whenever you want...TRUE, you can, but you will be shunned by certain hosts/hostesses if you didn't make a My Time Dining Reservation! We would go into the dining room on deck 5 nightly because that is where the My Time Dining level was, certain hosts would seat you immediately, but their was this one hostess who kept giving us problems because we didn't make a reservation and would suggest we go to the Windjammer because she couldn't find anything for us....So yeah, never happened, once another host took over for her, we were seated immediately, this hostess irritated my cousin's friend!

Yes - you can make reservation day by day - you can also change reservations already done - I'm only using MTD - I like the flexibility - I'll say that the dress code for the speciality restaurants is the same as for the rest of the ship that day

I'm getting the same emails. I had hoped to show up whenever it was convenient. To me the whole point of MTD is that I don't have to stop doing what I'm doing to rush around and get cleaned up for dinner at a specific time.

We first tried MTD on Celebrity this past April and never had a problem just showing up. I may make a reservation for the first night and then wing it.

Dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual every night. However, the last time we dined in Portofino, I was the only male wearing a jacket, other than the head waiters.

This is our understanding as well. As a matter of fact many book the specialty restaurants on formal night so that they do not have to dress formal.

You will see all sorts of dress in the specialty restaurants.

...but their was this one hostess who kept giving us problems because we didn't make a reservation and would suggest we go to the Windjammer because she couldn't find anything for us....So yeah, never happened, once another host took over for her, we were seated immediately...

That is completely unacceptable. I hope you noted that on your comment card! Guests should not be made to feel this way at all, hence the original premise behind MTD.

OP, we have been getting the MTD reservation e-mails also - I think it's up to 6 or 7 now. We ignore them. We will dine when we want to, not when someone tells us to, even if it is MTD and you can reserve outside of the "traditional" dining times.

Have fun on Explorer. She is magnificent. :)

I never make reservations when booked on MTD...I show up when I am hungry & have never had a problem being seated promptly...some nights I feel more like a lite snack & go to the WJ instead..saves me the hassle of having to cancel a pre-made ressie...

You do not have to make any reservations for MTD. Sometimes we did, sometimes we didn't. But, if you go without a reservation at peak dining times you may have a little bit of a wait. The longest we waited was 10-15 minutes. Of course, sometimes we had to wait with a reservation.

Dress code for the specialty restaurants is smart casual every night. However, the last time we dined in Portofino, I was the only male wearing a jacket, other than the head waiters.

In the specialty restaurant I usually go with the same clothes I wear on all the other nights of dinning but with a twist I wear a fitted cap instead of the one that snaps in the back. It tends to be a little more classy and I feel I get a lot more looks that way. It kind of makes me feel special :D

With My time Dining, can you make reservations day by day? I have signed up for My time Dining but keep getting emails asking me to make reservations now, before the curise. I thought I could do this each day? Can anyone help with this? Also, does anyone know the dress code for the specialty restaurant on Explorer of the Seas? I think it is Portafini. Do men have to wear a jacket?

Any help with these questions, would be helpful we leave for our cruise on October 14.

Thank you.

No jacket needed but a baseball cap is mandatory :-)

REALLY..... now you see, I think you're the first person who has ever said that, the first I've read of it anyway. Interesting. Huh.

We had to wait about 15 minutes on formal night with a resevation on Allure. All other nights we were seated almost immediately. So yes it does happen. Of course that night the line for those without reservations was out the door.

REALLY..... now you see, I think you're the first person who has ever said that, the first I've read of it anyway. Interesting. Huh.

Not a long wait, though. That was when we had a reservation for a popular time. We just had to wait for an available person to check our reservation and have someone take us to the table. The longest line (with reservations) we waited in was probably 4 or 5 couples ahead of us.

We will have MTD when we cruise next month. I have already reserved our time for each night of our cruise because we really wanted main dining but it was not available. Even though we already have resv for each nigh and received confirmation emails, RCCL emails us about every other day reminding us to be sure to make our MTD reservations! Guess the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing??

Archived