shore excursions in Guatemala

lv9777

Has anyone taken the "Tale of Two Towns" excursion in Santo Tomas? I am trying to decide on excursions for a group ages ranging from 10 -70. Wondering expriences anyone had with excursion through the cruise line in Gautemala. My parents are nervous about using private tour guides.

Thanks for your help

We also did the Mayan ruins looking at steles and went through a banana plantation. It was interesting countryside; not as poor as Belize. Interesting to see a string of Christmas lights here and there on the small houses as well as other decor. (Yes, it was December).:)

There was an interesting bazaar at the port with local handicrafts as well as "jade" jewelry.

Sounds like your tour would be interesting. There wasn't much offered when we were there. They had just opened the port to cruises.

Years and years ago, we did a shore excursion to Lake Atilan. It remains as the best ship provided excursion we have ever booked. (and there have been many good ones!)

The rather long and bumpy bus ride to the lake was interesting, going through some great scenery as well as giving us a view of the real Guatemala (read: poor, very poor). The lake itself was beautiful, the local townspeople friendly and accommodating and charming. At that time, the area was not at all commercialized, and felt very authentic.

I took a tour to Antigua in 2009 which was great. Saw lots of countryside and active volcanos. It's a lovely and very historic city. We had lunch in the old monastery which is now one one of the top hotels in Central America. It was a ship's tour.

If "Go With Gus"is still available we did a great tour with him that took us to villages and schools on the river.

I agree completely. This is a very unique tour that takes you up river and you will see native villages and Mayan decendants living as they did centuries ago. Very different from the standard ship tours.

I have not been on a cruise to this area but I did vacation in Colonial Antigua a few years ago and would recommend that. There was a jade museum in town, the women all wore traditional clothing everyday, the central plaza had things going on and there was lots of shopping and good eating!

We went on a tour of two cities (I think they were Santo Tomas and Puerto Barrios) with NCL in December of 2010. It was OK - but a 10 year old would probably be very bored. It was mostly touring by bus. We did stop at a cemetary and a few other spots before ending up at a resort for a light lunch. We had two pickup trucks with us the entire time, each with at least four armed guards. I'm glad I went, as it was different from any other city tour I have been on, but would not do it again. There is a lot of poverty in Guatemala and we definitely saw it on this tour. I would also hesitate to book a private excursion in this port, but have read a lot of good things about Gus. Good luck finding something for everyone in your age range! Have a great cruise.

I am not sure what HAL offers but we did the Rio Dulce River tour with a stop in Livingston with Princess and it was a very nice tour. Beautiful area and the river tour was like stepping into a different world with kids in dug out canoes and the grass huts they live it. It was truly a fascinating experience

Archived