going overboard

postmeome

it seems more and more often it is been reported about people falling overboard from ships how can you fall ? do these people,fall,jump or is it just supidity,climbing over balconys etc what do you thnk?

The answer is D. All of the above.......

it seems more and more often it is been reported about people falling overboard from ships how can you fall ? do these people,fall,jump or is it just supidity,climbing over balconys etc what do you thnk?

Suicidal, drunk, or stupid. No way it can be accidental without added drunkenness or stupidity. You can't just fall, the railings are too high.

a friend of mine called me in a panic. She is a first time cruiser and is booked on the Allure. I had to stomp on this "just fell off" crap. First of all I had to explain that the balcony rail is high (up to my armpits.. yeah I'm short). I had to calmly explain to her that your either drunk, doing something stupid like climbing up onto the rail or commiting suicide. I told her that the Allure is an amazing ship with a ton of things for her to do.

She made the right choice. No panic calls since then.

Being drunk, stupid or suicidal doesn't change the fact that a life has been loss and that it has a devasting effect on the person's friends and family.

No it doesn't but it may help those new to cruising to realize that falling overboard isn't something that is going to happen unless they are in one of those categories. Unfortunately those contemplating suicide or engaging in stupid or dangerous behavior, rarely consider the effects of their actions on friends and family.

No it doesn't but it may help those new to cruising to realize that falling overboard isn't something that is going to happen unless they are in one of those categories. Unfortunately those contemplating suicide or engaging in stupid or dangerous behavior, rarely consider the effects of their actions on friends and family.

Agreed. For example: The wind won't just blow you off the ship, and you cannot slip on a wet deck and just fall off. It's either intentional or doing something stupid.

Agreed. For example: The wind won't just blow you off the ship, and you cannot slip on a wet deck and just fall off. It's either intentional or doing something stupid.

... and if you're really paranoid, just stay off the top deck. If you have to go out on deck for muster drill, just stay back.

I'm sure once newbies see the size of the railings, they'll realize you can't fall over the railing by accident.

My mom actually almost fell overboard by ACCIDENT. She was stepping out to our balcony and the ship happened to lean to the side that our balcony was on. She lost her balance due to the lean and tripped over the threshold. Thank goodness I was standing up against the railing in front of the door.

My mom actually almost fell overboard by ACCIDENT. She was stepping out to our balcony and the ship happened to lean to the side that our balcony was on. She lost her balance due to the lean and tripped over the threshold. Thank goodness I was standing up against the railing in front of the door.

Im not doubting you but I STILL dont see how she could have possibly fell overboard in that situation unless the ship was in a very severe list :confused:

Maybe Im missing something here?

How can that be? Were you sailing on the SS Minnow?

First cruise ever for me I was sooo excited and nervous and curious ! It was a dream come true since I had wanted to cruise for so many years. SO I did get a bit scared about the railings not much but I worry over silly things some times. I am 5 foot in stocking feet so I quickly realized I would have to be thrown off the balcony ! My DH who is 6'2" was showing me he would have to climb over to "fall" . So I wonder how Tall these people are that "fall" over the railing! Even walking on the out side decks where there is just the metal rail and not the glass you would still have to want to go over.

How can that be? Were you sailing on the SS Minnow?

We were on the Carnival Dream. There's about a 2 inch step down to your balcony from your room and as she was about to step down, the ship leaned to the port side. Pretty much forced her out the balcony door and there is a strip of metal that sticks up a bit and it propelled her forward. Don't forget, Carnival's balconies are not as deep as Royal's...atleast from the pictures I've seen.

a friend of mine called me in a panic. She is a first time cruiser and is booked on the Allure. I had to stomp on this "just fell off" crap. First of all I had to explain that the balcony rail is high (up to my armpits.. yeah I'm short). I had to calmly explain to her that your either drunk, doing something stupid like climbing up onto the rail or commiting suicide. I told her that the Allure is an amazing ship with a ton of things for her to do.

She made the right choice. No panic calls since then.

My opinion...and just my opinion...a portion of the population are very "act first, think later" and they find their way to cruises as well. If something goes wrong in their lives, "jump first, realize how big you screwed up not shortly thereafter," with little to nothing that can be done to rectify the situation.

Just my thoughts...I could be wrong.

I'm 5'10 and curious how high the balcony comes up to me so I looked at old pictures. It comes up to about my belly button maybe a little higher. I've never felt like I might fall off the balcony even when it was rough, windy, or slippery on deck. I think you would have to be like 8 foot tall to be in danger? My dad is also 6'3 and never had a problem. You would have to push a chair next to the balcony to climb on top of the railing to jump. I think it is an interesting topic and sad that so many people choose to jump rather it be for suicide or being extremely drunk. :(

I am 5' 1" tall and the railings on most ships come up to my armpits. There is NO way someone could accidentally slip and fall off a ship. It would take a great deal of effort to get a body up and over the railing. When slipping and falling a body is moving in a downward motion, not an upward and over motion.

A journalist I know once told me that they have to be extremely cautious when writing about "people falling". If they write that someone jumped, others will follow their lead and jump as well. That's why they seem to come in packs :(

I am 5' 1" tall and the railings on most ships come up to my armpits. There is NO way someone could accidentally slip and fall off a ship. It would take a great deal of effort to get a body up and over the railing. When slipping and falling a body is moving in a downward motion, not an upward and over motion.

I was on Allure last week and 6 cabins down the hall from the young lady that went overboard. The balcony glass and rail came up to the bottom of my chest and I am 5'8". Conditions were not severe and we were only a few hours out of port. You can't inadvertantly go over this rail.

Archived