Checking the Bill

Rebel54

Very glad that I did my research in here. Went and got a copy of my bill and found about $450.00 that was incorrectly charged on my bill. :(. They are going to correct it but if I hadn't been aware of checking it out, I would have been upset on Sat!

We save each receipt and request a printout of our folio from the Front Desk or Concierge, which we reconcile every couple of days. It saves standing in line for a reeeaaaally long time on the final night to resolve incorrect charges. The only errors we have found are one bingo card and one bottle of minibar water.

Happy you found the error and were able to get it corrected.

In all our cruises, I think maybe once of twice we might have been charged for a diet coke from the mini bar. We've been fortunate to not find any erroneous charges that I recall.

An error of $450 is far more significant than a can of soda. Do you mind telling us for what they charged you for that wasn't correct? (I certainly understand if you don't wish to.)

ENJOY the rest of your cruise. :)

I pre paid for a couples massage and they charged me for that. They charged me for our cooking class that was included in our suite elite package and didn't credit us for the prepaid internet that was part of the suite elite package as well.

What is the suite elite package?

This is what it says for the package:

With the Suite Elite Package you'll receive in-suite beverage setup with your choice of two bottles of wine and two bottles of your favorite liquor, a pass to access the Hydro Pool & Thermal Suite located in the Greenhouse Spa, a $50 beverage card, dinner for two at the Pinnacle Grill, a Culinary Arts Center Class, one Premium Wine Tasting led by the Cellar Master, an internet time package of 100 minutes, and evening truffles in your suite. A 15% service charge is included in the price of the item. You must be 21 years of age or older to order and receive alcoholic beverages. The price of the package applies to double occupancy on sailings up to 10 days on the following ships: Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

I pre paid for a couples massage and they charged me for that. They charged me for our cooking class that was included in our suite elite package and didn't credit us for the prepaid internet that was part of the suite elite package as well.

Those packages can be great, but as you found out, once you do something a "bit" out of the normal routine, it can get messed up (certainly not your fault). When dealing with 2000 passengers, every exceptional thing can get messed up.

Like others have already stated, its a good idea to check your account every so often (but try to do it at a time when the front desk is not real busy).

DaveOKC

Very happy you caught the errors in plenty of time to get them corrected.

That is a considerable sum to be overcharged.

Gosh... am I the only one who never really checks them?

By the end of the cruise my bar bill is generally more than the price of the cruise anyway. LOL.

Hey! I'm on vacation, lighten up! I don't get to have this much booze (or fun) at home. :p

Gosh... am I the only one who never really checks them?

By the end of the cruise my bar bill is generally more than the price of the cruise anyway. LOL.

Hey! I'm on vacation, lighten up! I don't get to have this much booze (or fun) at home. :p

Thats the point of being on a cruise.

Check the statement every few days.

The night before disembarkation, call the front desk and have them send a preliminary statement to your cabin. Take time to closely examine it. You should be good to go on departure day.

Maybe not. My account got charged with $75 worth of mini bar charges after I left. Since I'm 4 star that means $150. I didn't touch one thing in that mini bar. It took several calls to get it resolved and since I'm Canadian it went in and out at different amounts (conversion).

It is also a good idea to check your credit card charge after you get home against the number that appeared on HAL's statement. On 2 occasions in the past year the charge on my credit card was higher than what was on HAL's bill -- not by a lot, around $10 each time. Worth a phone call IMO.

I called Seattle and both times found out the extra charges were for mini-bar purchases that I had never made. (I've never taken anything from a mini-bar in my life.) Eventually the charges were removed. But for a while there I was wondering if I was starting to see a pattern...:(

It is also a good idea to check your credit card charge after you get home against the number that appeared on HAL's statement. On 2 occasions in the past year the charge on my credit card was higher than what was on HAL's bill -- not by a lot, around $10 each time. Worth a phone call IMO.

I called Seattle and both times found out the extra charges were for mini-bar purchases that I had never made. (I've never taken anything from a mini-bar in my life.) Eventually the charges were removed. But for a while there I was wondering if I was starting to see a pattern...:(

Ditto to above

I am a bit controlling about things, I KNOW what the bill will be before it arrives and if it is off I am ON it.

As we're not drinkers, the only things that should show up are the daily charges, restaurant fees, excursions and anything we might've bought on board.

Derek

I always check all items on my credit card bill -- ship's bill -- hotel bills, etc. -- as they come in at home.

Archived