Dress Code changes

duct tape

While just looking thru the Setting Sail for an upcoming cruise, I noticed that the dress code numbers have changed. No more segments with 4 Formals. Be sure and check the booklet the next time you get THE box! I can see people smiling already!

I would smile more if there were no formals. But at least SS is moving in the right direction.

I also like formal nights. I think the 4th one was just put in for whatever and was useless. On the 4th formal night there are no hosted tables and no special functions. Also a lot of people bail on the 4th formal night and disappear. I am not in favor of changing the dress code drastically but I think this one change is reasonable. I also like that some of the casuals were reduced and put into informal. That will reduce some smiles.

But at least SS is moving in the right direction.

Agree with above. Some might not like this type of change, but this is where the "market place" and a growing segment of consumers are moving with their preferences. The airline luggage restrictions are an added pressure for these shifts.

THANKS, duct tape, for sharing! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 81,998 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

When I first began traveling, I traveled with 5 pieces of luggage ... all from the French line of luggage (the gorgeous tapestry and suede pieces they used to manufacture). I had the large suitcase, the garment bag, the hat box, the shoe bag, and the train case and they were always stuffed to the max. It is inconceivable to travel this way today, most especially with how difficult the airlines themselves make it, let alone the TSA. It is wise for Silversea to amend their dress code. It shows they are changing with the changing times, a MUST for any business to survive in today's market place.

I also like formal nights. I think the 4th one was just put in for whatever and was useless. On the 4th formal night there are no hosted tables and no special functions. Also a lot of people bail on the 4th formal night and disappear. I am not in favor of changing the dress code drastically but I think this one change is reasonable. I also like that some of the casuals were reduced and put into informal. That will reduce some smiles.

After 4 occasions it seems less important---but please SS keep the standard--its fun. Even with one or two suitcases --for 38 days I can cram in some beautiful lightweight pieces and feel so beautiful and love to show it can be done--maybe not ball gowns , but lovely wardrobes. Its exciting to contemplate and i hope it continues as long as I travel.

Here's a question for World Cruisers. Do you wear the same formal wear over and over?

I do back to back cruises so end up with 6 formal nights and end up duplicating one piece for that (and let my standards slide on a couple of others.) I figure the majority of people haven't seen the outfits before so I've got to be realistic and reuse.

But I was curious what people who are on for 3 months rather than 1 month do.

Good point, Canadian Kate - be realistic and re-arrange/re-use. And Duct Tape, you're right, while I can't recall exactly each formal ensemble, I do remember you looked wonderful and I was quite impressed with your dressmaker. I truly enjoy all the formal nights and hope they long remain part of the Silversea experience; it's one of the things that distinguishes SS from the rest of the pack.

This is only the beginning of a transition to a totally casual dress code within five to ten years, as Oceania has. Every single luxury line has recently amended its code to include the word optional after formal. Not one line has added more formal or more restrictive dress codes. I see the following correlation: fewer tuxedoes and fewer smoking areas. Give them what they want and they will come!!! I refer of course to new customers which is what they are all going after.

Having been Oceania cruisers for the past several years, we enjoy the more relaxed dress code. Last spring we took our grandsons on (Celebrity) Century as O' is not for children. There were formal nights and it was lovely to see some of the guests dressed for that. Jacket and tie for Dennis was fine for both (O + C) and I always bring some lovely tops to wear with black dress pants. What I object to is jeans at dinner and see that on Ooccasionally but not Century. Dennis never brings jeans, but this is changing, as does everything, as he will bring a pair next trip. Perhaps I am out of touch with the "no jeans in MDR" and am willing to overlook that if necessary in the future. This will be our first SS cruise (May 2013) so will be interesting to see how formal or elegant the special nights will be.

This is only the beginning of a transition to a totally casual dress code within five to ten years, as Oceania has. Every single luxury line has recently amended its code to include the word optional after formal. Not one line has added more formal or more restrictive dress codes. I see the following correlation: fewer tuxedoes and fewer smoking areas. Give them what they want and they will come!!! I refer of course to new customers which is what they are all going after.

Agree with you 100%. Hmmmm, I seem to be agreeing with you a lot lately:confused:;) For those passengers who prefer to dress formally, there is no reason why you cannot continue to do so. Some passengers on Regent dress formal on special nights and others wear a suit and tie or jacket without a tie every night. We have seen groups of 8-10 get together for a "formal table". Everyone looks great and they seem to be having a good time.

As wripro said, all luxury cruise lines have made a change to their dress code recently. If Silversea did not follow the trend, they would be like Crystal when they refused for years to become all-inclusive and have open seating. In the end, in order to compete, they changed. It would be a shame for Silversea to lose business over this issue. Just my opinion.

Remember, in the end when it comes to dress the cruise lines are adopting to trends in the marketplace.

I remember the days when every night on cruise ships people dressed up whether the minimum requirement was a jacket for men and a nice outfit by the women.

The good thing is if you want to dress up a little more you can and you shouldn't feel out of sorts. We don't.

Keith

We have seen groups of 8-10 get together for a "formal table". Everyone looks great and they seem to be having a good time.

We noticed the same thing on our recent Oceana cruise: there were groups that took over a special dining venue and wore formal attire even though the cruise was country club casual. And while I personally favor cc casual, I still feel passengers should not wear jeans to dinner.

On a Celebrity board I once asked what my 4 and 9-year old grandsons should wear on "formal nights." Believe it or not, some "formal wear die-hards" suggested we go to a Salvation Army Resale Store to buy them tuxedos!

TravelCat: I have no problem with properly behaved children anywhere BUT Dmgmd50 wisely picked Celebrity for her cruise with the grandchildren most likely because it is better suited to offer activities of interest to children.

That's what I intend to do when I have the joy of cruising with my children and (some-day-I-hope) grandchildren.

TravelCat: I have no problem with properly behaved children anywhere BUT Dmgmd50 wisely picked Celebrity for her cruise with the grandchildren most likely because it is better suited to offer activities of interest to children.

That's what I intend to do when I have the joy of cruising with my children and (some-day-I-hope) grandchildren.

It would not be fair to my grandchildren or to the adult passengers to go on SS. It would also be much more costly to pay for five cabins on SS. Celebrity has great programs for kids.

Archived