Issues with trying to move to early seating

spingal

Just posted this on Facebook............I am so frustrated with Princess right now.

"Wow am I unhappy with Princess!! I am traveling with my elderly folks on the Coral Princess on 10/14. We were confirmed for late seating but my parents decided they wanted early seating. They are booked in a suite so they are automatically confirmed for the seating of their choice. So Princess has confirmed them for the 5:45 seating. I am cross referenced to them and am traveling alone with them. But Princess will NOT confirm me for the same seating. Instead, I am confirmed for the 5:15 seating and am wait listed for 5:45. So what am I supposed to do? My TA and I have made repeated calls to Princess but they flat out refuse to help. The Princess rep told me to talk to the maitre d' the day of boarding. What a hassle!! This is even more frustrating since I am an Elite cruiser and have 33 cruise credits with them. I am tired of the way they treat their customers and for the first time am considering trying another line where my business might be appreciated!"

If I were traveling with a large group then I would never expect Princess to confirm me. It is the fact that I am traveling alone with my folks! My TA even told me that my folks are at a table for 4. Watch Princess confirm another couple at the table with my partents and forget about me! I have seen stranger things happen!! :eek:

I'm not sure what you expect them to do. Yes, your booking is linked to your parents, but you are not traveling in a suite (as far as I can tell), therefore you don't get the benefits, one of which is being able to choose your dining time regardless. 5:15 is full as is 5:45 - a perk of your parents booking is they can override the capacity count. You don't and should not get that.

Secondly, your TA has no way of knowing they are at a 4 top. That is handled on ship maybe 2-3 days before the cruise.

It's likely the MD will be able to help you once on board, but there is no way a princess rep or a TA can force the system to accept an over capacity booking without bumping someone else who is already confirmed, and to ask them to do so is an unreasonable request.

You originally booked Late seating. Changes are subject to availability. They are not available. Sorry.

I'm not sure what you expect them to do. Yes, your booking is linked to your parents, but you are not traveling in a suite (as far as I can tell), therefore you don't get the benefits, one of which is being able to choose your dining time regardless. 5:15 is full as is 5:45 - a perk of your parents booking is they can override the capacity count. You don't and should not get that.

Secondly, your TA has no way of knowing they are at a 4 top. That is handled on ship maybe 2-3 days before the cruise.

It's likely the MD will be able to help you once on board, but there is no way a princess rep or a TA can force the system to accept an over capacity booking without bumping someone else who is already confirmed, and to ask them to do so is an unreasonable request.

You originally booked Late seating. Changes are subject to availability. They are not available. Sorry.

I am not asking for a huge favor. As I mentioned, I would never expect them to help if I was traveling with others! I am ALONE!! What do they expect me to do? Eat by myself????? I know the MD can help. It is just a hassle.

And I don't buy that nothing can be done. I am in customer service and something can always be done to take care of the customer. And my TA does know that they are at a table for 4. Princess told her that. So if they are at a table for 4 then why not just confirm me?

In more than 20 cruises with Princess, I have never failed to get the seating that we wanted either by assignment prior to boarding or by seeing the maitre d' upon embarkation. I am sure that you will too. I am surprised that you are not aware of how accommodating Princess is with dining room seating since you are elite. I cannot believe this is your first time waitlisted. You have been most fortunate.

If you do not clear the waitlist prior to sailing, then see the maitre d' on embarkation day. It is easy and does not take long. On my last two cruises, the meeting time and place was not listed in the Princess Patter, but if you go to the main dining room at lunch and ask they will tell you when and where to meet with the maitre d'. On my last cruise, it was in Sabatini's starting around 1:00 p.m. There was no other passenger when we got there and we immediately spoke with the maitre d'.

We had wanted to sit with just our family, but were seated at a much larger table. We requested a table for four at early seating, but it was not available. So the maitre d' assigned us to Anytime Dining for the first night of the cruise. On the next day of our cruise, there was a card delivered to our cabin informing us that a table for four had opened up in first seating traditional and we had our desired table assignment.

I have never failed to get the desired time and seating arrangement for any Princess cruise by this method. Lots of passengers switch their assignments after they board. I think your worst case scenario is that on the first night you will eat together in Anytime Dining and by night two you will have your desired assignment in first seating traditional. Remember Anytime Dining starts at 5:15-5:30 so your parents can eat early in Anytime if they wish. I guarantee you will be eating dinner with your parents. Don't worry.

Edited by Princess Patches

In more than 20 cruises with Princess, I have never failed to get the seating that we wanted either by assignment prior to boarding or by seeing the maitre d' upon embarkation. I am sure that you will too. I am surprised that you are not aware of how accommodating Princess is with dining room seating since you are elite. I cannot believe this is your first time waitlisted. You have been most fortunate.

If you do not clear the waitlist prior to sailing, then see the maitre d' on embarkation day. It is easy and does not take long. On my last two cruises, the meeting time and place was not listed in the Princess Patter, but if you go to the main dining room at lunch and ask they will tell you when and where to meet with the maitre d'. On my last cruise, it was in Sabatini's starting around 1:00 p.m. There was no other passenger when we got there and we immediately spoke with the maitre d'.

We had wanted to sit with just our family, but were seated at a much larger table. We requested a table for four at early seating, but it was not available. So the maitre d' assigned us to Anytime Dining for the first night of the cruise. On the next day of our cruise, there was a card delivered to our cabin informing us that a table for four had opened up in first seating traditional and we had our desired table assignment.

I have never failed to get the desired time and seating arrangement for any Princess cruise by this method. Lots of passengers switch their assignments after they board. I think your worst case scenario is that on the first night you will eat together in Anytime Dining and by night two you will have your desired assignment in first seating traditional. Remember Anytime Dining starts at 5:15-5:30 so your parents can eat early in Anytime if they wish.

That is the plan!! And I do know about changing dining arrangements from previous cruises. I just don't like having to go seek out the MD on embarkation day. But will be doing it this time!! ;)

And I don't buy that nothing can be done. I am in customer service and something can always be done to take care of the customer. And my TA does know that they are at a table for 4. Princess told her that. So if they are at a table for 4 then why not just confirm me?

The Princess rep told me to talk to the maitre d' the day of boarding.

First off, what the TA knows (no matter what he/she said) is that a table for four was requested and that your parents are confirmed for the dining time they want. Table assignments are not known yet, so it is impossible for the TA to know for sure that a table for 4 will be assigned.

Second, the "something that can always be done to take care of the customer" is the suggested "talk to the Maitre d'".

Yes, it is a hassle to deal with that on embarkation day, but do what is suggested and you will be seated with your parents although it may not be until the second evening.

That is the plan!! And I do know about changing dining arrangements from previous cruises. I just don't like having to go seek out the MD on embarkation day. But will be doing it this time!! ;)

You asked for, and were confirmed for late seating.

Then, later, you decided to change, and were wait listed for your new choice.

I don't really understand why this is Princess' fault, as you decided to

change.

You asked for, and were confirmed for late seating.

Then, later, you decided to change, and were wait listed for your new choice.

I don't really understand why this is Princess' fault, as you decided to

change.

Thanks for your compassion and understanding.

I repeat my earlier assertion that your parents have been confirmed for late seating and have REQUESTED a table for 4, that does not mean they have one.

As to why Princess customer service cannot help you prior to boarding..

Early seating has (lets say) 1000 seats. Late seating has the same number. We'll assume they keep 20 flexible for suite passengers and only suite passengers.

Once those 1000 seats are full, there is no way for the Princess rep to make a magical 1001st seat appear in the system. They can note your request, but unless someone frees up one of those seats, there is nowhere for you to go. Hence the waitlist.

This has nothing to do with being compassionate or not towards your request. We'd all be thrilled if you got the change you requested, and you probably will, once on board.

But seriously, why should Princess change a process that generally works for managing about 40,000 passengers on board every day to accommodate one person, no matter how elite. The process is designed to set up a framework that manages everyones request, and then the MD can adjust on the fly based on circumstances on the ground once the final table assignments are done (I personally have watched an MD work on table assignments on the day prior to changeover).

To explicitly state you have X number of cruises under your belt (as you did in the posting) implies that you feel you should be granted a waiver due to that. There are a specific set of benefits that accrue with tenure, and this is not one of them. Should someone ahead of you on the waitlist be bumped back because of your status? Or someone else be kicked out of their already booked selection? I ask this in all sincerity, since either of those is what would have to happen to accommodate your request.

Even worse than the OP's situation, we were confirmed for second seating dining before one cruise only to find out when we checked in that we were assigned to anytime dining. Like her, I resented having to wait in line to see the maitre d' on the first afternoon. But I did. Fortunately, the wait wasn't too long and the maitre d' was able to move us back to second seating. Things will work out.

I just don't like having to go seek out the MD on embarkation day. But will be doing it this time!! ;)

No one likes to do it this way but glad that you realize it's the only option & will meet with the Maître d'. :)

I think that everyone has compassion & understanding for your situation but I agree that procedures should not be changed for anyone but that's not what you want to read. You mention your many cruises however I think that everyone is entitled to the same dining room request system no matter how many times they've sailed with Princess. I don't believe there are many who would feel that anyone is entitled to such special treatment & I agree with the posts about how to deal with your situation.

I doubt if you'll have a problem changing once onboard but it's not possible to do it in advance if nothing is available nor do they assign a certain size of table table prior to boarding & it's a request only.

It appears that you've accepted the fact that the only solution is to contact the maître d' upon boarding. Hopefully you'll be able to enjoy a great cruise & to dine with your parents even if it's at a different time. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

I feel badly that this has frustrated you, but also feel certain that it will get worked out. Yes, it's a hassle to have to visit the maitre d' on embarkation day, but that's the way it's done, and, as others have mentioned, we rarely haven't been accomodated when we do that (understanding, of course, that they can't rearrange entire dining areas for anyone). What you're asking for is pretty straightforward...the only thing you might have to be flexible on is if you three dine at a table for 4 alone or at a larger table with others.

Good luck with it, and enjoy your cruise with your parents!

I do not think it is a big deal or requires much time or effort to see the maitre d' on embarkation day. It is something I do on every cruise even when we get our requested assignment.

For instance, four of us are sailing on the Golden in November. We have recently cleared the waitlist and we are all confirmed for first seating traditional. Our bookings are linked. When we check in we will look at our cruise cards to make sure they show we have first seating in the main dining room and we are all assigned the same table. Assuming that is all correct, we still go see the maitre d' upon embarkation. Why? Because we still do not know if we have our requested table for four or we are at a larger table. The maitre d' has the seating chart. We have him check the chart. If it is a table for four we thank him and leave. If it is not a table for four we request a change.

We do not want to show up at the first dinner and find out we are not at a table for four and then request a change after dinner. We feel that is rude to our tablemates. We prefer eating as a family at dinner. We join other passengers for breakfast and lunch in the dining room.

You're welcome!!!

What about the other people who are waitlisted?

Should you jump ahead of them?

I would think that one who has been on more than a few princess cruises would

know that early seating is always very popular, and to insure a confirmed reservation

for it, book early, and make your request early.

Edited by pablo222

Hi Jamie:

Didn't realize you were cruising again this October. Hopefully all works out with the dining times.

Send me an e-mail when you get a chance. For some reason I can't get your address to work on my end. Have no idea why.

Susan

Gee, I must not have rated very high with the maitre d' plus I didn't know about tipping him. I've only requested once to have friends on ATD move to TD to have a set dining time (less confusion for dining with husband with alzheimer) but no go. So changed to ATD and ate at 5:30.

There are also times the MD just can't do anything. Usually the requests tend to balance out, but if a number of requests are all in one direction he or she (are there any current female MDs on Princess?) may simply not have the space to accommodate everyone's preferences.

Gee, I must not have rated very high with the maitre d' plus I didn't know about tipping him. I've only requested once to have friends on ATD move to TD to have a set dining time (less confusion for dining with husband with alzheimer) but no go. So changed to ATD and ate at 5:30.

Jamie - we always do first seating and have always been confirmed. I have had friends join us at the last minute and then they cross reference us and they are wait listed #500 or whatever and they clear the day of the cruise. This has happened many times. I think you will clear. They can always accommodate one more easily.

Edited by Coral

Just posted this on Facebook............I am so frustrated with Princess right now.

"Wow am I unhappy with Princess!! I am traveling with my elderly folks on the Coral Princess on 10/14. We were confirmed for late seating but my parents decided they wanted early seating. They are booked in a suite so they are automatically confirmed for the seating of their choice. So Princess has confirmed them for the 5:45 seating. I am cross referenced to them and am traveling alone with them. But Princess will NOT confirm me for the same seating. Instead, I am confirmed for the 5:15 seating and am wait listed for 5:45. So what am I supposed to do? My TA and I have made repeated calls to Princess but they flat out refuse to help. The Princess rep told me to talk to the maitre d' the day of boarding. What a hassle!! This is even more frustrating since I am an Elite cruiser and have 33 cruise credits with them. I am tired of the way they treat their customers and for the first time am considering trying another line where my business might be appreciated!"

If I were traveling with a large group then I would never expect Princess to confirm me. It is the fact that I am traveling alone with my folks!!! My TA even told me that my folks are at a table for 4. Watch Princess confirm another couple at the table with my partents and forget about me! I have seen stranger things happen!! :eek:

To ensure you have a great meal with your parents have them change back to 2d seating.. Problem solved.

There are also times the MD just can't do anything. Usually the requests tend to balance out, but if a number of requests are all in one direction he or she (are there any current female MDs on Princess?) may simply not have the space to accommodate everyone's preferences.

When we were number 415 on the waitlist to join my father and companion who were confirmed for early traditional, we met with the MD on embarkation day and he set up a reserved table for four in one of the anytime dining rooms for us.

When we were number 415 on the waitlist to join my father and companion who were confirmed for early traditional, we met with the MD on embarkation day and he set up a reserved table for four in one of the anytime dining rooms for us.

Wow, such an easy solution! Excellent.

Some MDs will do that, some won't, again depending on how signups are for the various options. I think its a great option when available.

In my experience, a good MD will do anything they can to accomodate a reasonable request, but sometimes they just cannot. Of course, size of party and desired dine time is a huge factor, as is flexibility of the requestor. And no, a gratuity never hurts.