TA Cancellation Charges

Due to my TA's cancellation charges, I have decided to either book with another TA or directly with Princess.

What I do not understand is why would a TA charge these fees and lose a lot of business? I mean, I don't cruise as much as a lot of you do, but had three cruises this year, two of which were 14-day ones...

I am also going to make sure to let everyone know at the meet and greets, and wherever I go, to not book with them... So, in addition to losing my business, they could be losing other people's business as well.

Was that worth $100? Besides, since the beginning of the year, I have not received any discounts and very small OBC...

What is your opinion?

Some TAs charge cancellation or change fees, feeling that they are owed something for any work they did on getting you booked. Many don't charge a fee. Some TAs may waive the fee for repeat customers. It's all up to them, and it's important information to know before you choose a TA.

Telling people not to book with a TA because you want them to lose business is unfair to the TA. Like it or not, it's a policy chosen by the TA and one which the prospective customer should be aware of prior to booking. Simply mentioning that the agency charges a cancel fee would be sufficient.

Some TAs have cancellation charges, many do not.

Some TAs have a fee for every change (dining choice, transfer to port, etc.), most do not.

I reward the TAs that do not have these fees by giving them my business.

I avoid using the ones that have these fees.

Always ask up front before making a booking what TA future fees you might encounter. Either accept the answers or find a different TA.

Telling people not to book with a TA because you want them to lose business is unfair to the TA. Like it or not, it's a policy chosen by the TA and one which the prospective customer should be aware of prior to booking. Simply mentioning that the agency charges a cancel fee would be sufficient.

Well said. It is important to inquire about any fees charged prior to booking with a TA because after you have booked with them you have contractually agreed to their fees.

I believe there are those that can't make up there mind which cruise they really want to go on and will book multiple trips. I can imagine it creates extra work for the travel agent to book and than cancel when the traveler finally decides. I'm sure the fee is used to discourage this type of booking.

I agree with Walt. Further, if the agency the TA works for charges a fee, it is ultimately up to the TA. In the case of a repeat client, many wave the fee which is really in place to discourage abuse from people who use TA's to spend hours researching prices only to transfer their bookings or book elsewhere.

Some TAs have cancellation charges, many do not.

Some TAs have a fee for every change (dining choice, transfer to port, etc.), most do not.

I reward the TAs that do not have these fees by giving them my business.

I avoid using the ones that have these fees.

Always ask up front before making a booking what TA future fees you might encounter. Either accept the answers or find a different TA.

This is my opinion, as well.:)

Some TAs charge cancellation or change fees, feeling that they are owed something for any work they did on getting you booked. Many don't charge a fee. Some TAs may waive the fee for repeat customers. It's all up to them, and it's important information to know before you choose a TA.

My TA does not charge any fees, but i always ask what the policy is before each booking.:)

Our TA doesn't charge anything for cancelling cruises or any vacation.

But when we first started booking with her, we did ask if there were any fees if we needed to cancel.

Going around and telling people not to use such-and-such a TA or agency is not wise. Think of all the work that TA did for you -- and then you cancelled.

Due to my TA's cancellation charges, I have decided to either book with another TA or directly with Princess.

What I do not understand is why would a TA charge these fees and lose a lot of business? I mean, I don't cruise as much as a lot of you do, but had three cruises this year, two of which were 14-day ones...

I am also going to make sure to let everyone know at the meet and greets, and wherever I go, to not book with them... So, in addition to losing my business, they could be losing other people's business as well.

Was that worth $100? Besides, since the beginning of the year, I have not received any discounts and very small OBC...

What is your opinion?

Did they point out the cancellation policy to you before you booked? If so then you were treated fairly and I would not say anything at all. If not then you have reason to warn others about the practice of this TA. I think this is pretty straight forward.

We now book with the cruise line or on line. We have agents that work for the cruise lines we call. They are salaried and do not get a commission. Never had a problem with them and they have been helpful when we've changed cabins.

Most people you meet at the M&G will ask about TAs you have used. Everyone wants to find a good TA and since we can't ask that question on CC, the M&G is the best place. All someone would have to say is that my TA charges cancellation fees when asked. Knowing that I sure wouldn't book with them when there are so many good TAs that don't charge any extra fees. Just MHO.

Most people you meet at the M&G will ask about TAs you have used. Everyone wants to find a good TA and since we can't ask that question on CC, the M&G is the best place. All someone would have to say is that my TA charges cancellation fees when asked. Knowing that I sure wouldn't book with them when there are so many good TAs that don't charge any extra fees. Just MHO.

Most people discuss TA's at the M&G. Really? I am usually the only one that I meet on the entire ship from my area so what would my liking or not liking my TA matter to anyone else?

I am usually the only one that I meet on the entire ship from my area so what would my liking or not liking my TA matter to anyone else?

In these days of easy and immediate national (and international) communication, many people are happy to use travel agents who are not local to where they live. I don't believe there are any regional restrictions on a travel agency's clients (i.e. a travel agent in Omaha can and might have clients from Atlanta or Kansas City).

In fact, you could even book with an agency in a different country from where you live -- I've heard not for some cruise lines, but in general the theory applies.

Most people discuss TA's at the M&G. Really? I am usually the only one that I meet on the entire ship from my area so what would my liking or not liking my TA matter to anyone else?

My TA is in Utah and I live in Pa. You don't need to use an agent in your town or even state. With e-tickets and all that, a local TA isn't necessary. I found a TA that offered great perks, so despite the fact that we're hundreds of miles apart, it makes no difference.

In these days of easy and immediate national (and international) communication, many people are happy to use travel agents who are not local to where they live. I don't believe there are any regional restrictions on a travel agency's clients (i.e. a travel agent in Omaha can and might have clients from Atlanta or Kansas City).

In fact, you could even book with an agency in a different country from where you live -- I've heard not for some cruise lines, but in general the theory applies.

I see. I use the TA at my local mall. She does a great job for me and I suggest her to people who are looking for a good travel agent in my city. I would have never thought to sing her praises to my many traveling friends or family members who live a couple of hours from me, let alone to people I meet briefly on a ship. I have yet to have had such a discussion while at a M&G or while on board for that matter but I will keep that in mind for future reference.

Thanks, I never would have guessed that this was brought up by so many people. I usually talk about where I am from, planned excursions, past cruises, any teen family members for my girls to meet ect. I guess since I have no issues, interest or desire to change agents I have never brought up the subject. Then again nor has anyone brought up the subject with me.

I see. I use the TA at my local mall. She does a great job for me and I suggest her to people who are looking for a good travel agent in my city. I would have never thought to sing her praises to my many traveling friends or family members who live a couple of hours from me, let alone to people I meet briefly on a ship. I have yet to have had such a discussion while at a M&G or while on board for that matter but I will keep that in mind for future reference.

Thanks, I never would have guessed that this was brought up by so many people. I usually talk about where I am from, planned excursions, past cruises, any teen family members for my girls to meet ect. I guess since I have no issues, interest or desire to change agents I have never brought up the subject. Then again nor has anyone brought up the subject with me.

Well now you know you can do your wonderful agent a favour my singing her praises to anyone who inquires, regardless of where they live! It's great you found a great agent that you want to recommend.

Well now you know you can do your wonderful agent a favour my singing her praises to anyone who inquires, regardless of where they live! It's great you found a great agent that you want to recommend.

I will be selective. I like the service I get just the way it is.;)

I see. I use the TA at my local mall. She does a great job for me and I suggest her to people who are looking for a good travel agent in my city. I would have never thought to sing her praises to my many traveling friends or family members who live a couple of hours from me, let alone to people I meet briefly on a ship.

If you have a great TA and she is willing to work over the phone with people who do not live in your city, then it would be great to recommend her if anyone on board asks if you know of a good TA.

What is your opinion?

GOOD FOR YOU!!! Travel Agents are cutting their own throats. So many companies are trying to bypass their commission already and the TA are helping their own demise. You go girl/guy...(which ever fits:))

Think of all the work that TA did for you -- and then you cancelled.

But then, I always rebook!:mad: I had no choice but to cancel due to exigent circumstances... But, no understanding from the TA.

I actually booked a short cruise directly with Princess this morning! On this one, I am not losing any OBC and it was so easy to do.

So, the TA has already lost one commission, and no doubt, there will be many others...

But then, I always rebook!:mad: I had no choice but to cancel due to exigent circumstances... But, no understanding from the TA.

I actually booked a short cruise directly with Princess this morning! On this one, I am not losing any OBC and it was so easy to do.

So, the TA has already lost one commission, and no doubt, there will be many others...

Good for you. If you get an estimate to fix your automobile and don't choose that repair shop, if you want an estimate to re-roof your house and choose another contractor, if you go to the shoe store and try on shoes and purchase at a different locale, if you try on clothes at a store but don't purchase, the last two even if you do choose to purchase and have second thoughts when you return the items they all charge you a fee for "service" then I for one would NEVER employ their service again. Even today when credit cards try to impose a yearly fee than I say "adios" and open one without a fee. Today on the computer anyone can make reservations and if you run into trouble than the old "800" number is at hand. Greed is the only thing that comes to my mind when they charge you a fee for cancelation.......Have a wonderful cruise and many more(fee free).:)

Archived