Jewel or freedom

clott

Looking to do a cruise may 2013. It's my sons graduation present so can't decide if we should do the jewel or freedom.

Freedom pros

Close to home- we live in cape canaveral

Bigger ship

More things to do

More places to eat

Freedom cons

Higher price- grand suite is 1000.00 higher

Same ports we have been too many times

Jewel pros

Different ports

1000.00 cheaper even factoring in airfare

Ports everyday but 1

Jewel cons

Smaller ship

Not as much to do. But ports everyday

Not as many places to eat

Would love to hear your thoughts

Oh man... it's a hard one especially since it's a graduation gift for your son... how old is him?

I'm guessing you're taking about the Jewel May 11, I booked that cruise due to itinerary... yes, it's fantastic.

Since you have already tried all the other ports on the Freedom, then you're mainly going on the Freedom because of the ship itself. The Jewel has an itinerary that I doubt we'd get to see again (because it's a repo cruise)

It's a tough call because anyways, on the Jewel, you would probably be enjoying the ports of call more than the actual ship.... decisions, decision. I think if you book fun excursions, and enjoy each port, you'd be better off with the Jewel, but again, that's just my opinion, plus, like I said I'm booked on that cruise :D have fun whichever you choose!

I would go with Jewel. It is a beautiful ship with a great crew...one of our favorites!

Your son might need a little help from you as he starts out in life and that $1000 might be more appreciated by him at a later date ! That being said, we have sailed on Freedom also and had a wonderful cruise. Hope you do, too, whatever ship your choose.:)

That is so true. Just couldn't believe the price difference. I know it's a smaller ship but it 2000.00 difference without air. We usually cruise in oct and I know the price is higher in may. It's killing me to have to pay that much

For your son, hands down the Freedom! As others have said, so much more to do. Your son says he doesn't care because he probably knows the price difference....a great kid I bet. JMO

Would it be possible to narrow that 1000 gap by getting a JS or maybe adjoining balconies?

Forget adjoining balconies as a single supplement would kick in.

You mentioned it would be $2000. difference. Also, you mentioned on the Jewel you would have a port almost every day. That is alot of money. There are things to do on the Jewel. Granted there are many more on the Freedom, but maybe going on the Jewel, you can use some of the money saved to do some special things in port with your son. We did a cruise with our 2 kids when they were 19 and 21, and did the swim with the dolphins, pet the stingrays, etc. . . and it was our most memorable vacation. We were on the Explorer at the time. Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for all the replys. My husband and I were discussing this tonight at dinner. My son truly does not care what or where we go . He just says that's what he wants for a gradation present. We are really leaning toward the jewel since we have not done those ports. He is truly happy with anything. He is just a great kid like that. Such hard decisions for mom and dad lol

Yurita. Actually it's the may 25 cruise. My son is 18. He would be happy with either one so it doesn't matter to him either way. Decisions decisions

We are going on the Jewel May 25 cruise with our two children (ages 19 and 21). They are looking forward to the more interesting itinerary and new-to-us ports. We love the bigger ships, but this time, we booked Jewel for the ports.

Thanks for all the replys. My husband and I were discussing this tonight at dinner. My son truly does not care what or where we go . He just says that's what he wants for a gradation present. We are really leaning toward the jewel since we have not done those ports. He is truly happy with anything. He is just a great kid like that. Such hard decisions for mom and dad lol

I have been on both ships twice now, and they are both awesome. If your son doesn't care one way or the other and you can save money on Jewel, that would be the one I'd pick.

I am always looking for a bargain. So, for me $1000 is a lot of money. I would opt for the Jewel. The savings can be used for very nice excursions. The Jewel is a great ship and I think you will find you have a wonderful time.

Have a great cruise and congratulations to your son.

I think you made the right choice! The Jewel is a fabulous ship, one of the prettiest we have been on. We did this itinerary on the Serenade this past Jan. and had a wonderful time. I love the Southern Caribbean islands. So much to see and do. You will have a wonderful time with your son before he goes out into the world. Have a fabulous time making those great memories that will last a life time!

Just out of curiosity, what cruises has he been on so far?

Archived