What's the most weight you have ever gained on a cruise?

lisa431965

I usually gain 2-5 lbs. Sometimes on a 7-day I stay about the same. My DH often LOSES weight, probably because he doesn't usually eat dessert, does lots of walking (I do too), which he normally doesn't have time for, and probably eats less junk food.

My son once, at about age 35, gained 18 lbs. on a 7-day cruise. He did eat a lot, including often multiple entrees, but he was also on big doses of prednisone for what was suspected to be Chron's disease. (Luckily it was not.)

He took it off easily; he's a fitness buff and very into healthy eating except for special occasions.

Food is prepared with more salt than most of us are used to and many drink more alcohol than usual, so it's not surprising to gain some weight. Drinking a ton of water...two gallons or so per day will help flush some of that out of your body. Knowing this, I try to take clothes that are somewhat loose, so that I'm not suffering by the end of the cruise!:o

We take our 24 oz Tervis Tumblers and propel flavor packs to help us get enough water in.

I have no idea how people can gain so much weight in merely a week! What are they doing, eating non-stop, drinking foo foo drinks all day and not moving a muscle? It takes an excess of 2000 calories above and beyond your normal intake to gain a pound, so I suppose some people are consuming an extra 2000-3000 ++ calories per day? That's a whole lotta food and beverage!

I have gained as much as 2 pounds, most of the time nothing at all. Those 2 pounds are gone in less than a week, so it may be just water weight. I eat what I want to eat, but I don't overeat. I try to stay close to my at home typical meals, as I don't want an upset tummy. We walk a lot, but I don't count that as it is not really a weight loss type of walk, just a stroll. We take the stairs, but again, just a few floors a couple times a day won't make that much difference.

It takes an excess of 2000 calories above and beyond your normal intake to gain a pound, so I suppose some people are consuming an extra 2000-3000 ++ calories per day? That's a whole lotta food and beverage!

As a former Nutrition major in college, I can clarify that 1 pound = 3500 calories :eek:

I always lose weight. Usually 7-10 lbs. I drink more water, eat more fruits, take the stairs (except on formal nights because of high heels). Never gained an ounce during a cruise. I also don't order everything on the menu. If I see two things I like, I will order the other on the next evening. I eat ONE dessert each evening. If I could spend a month on a ship, I'd be skinny!

My problem is that I often continue to gain AFTER the cruise.

My annual cruise process involves about six months of dieting pre-cruise. I want to board the ship about 5 pounds UNDER my ideal weight, so I can gain 5-6 pounds during the week and still feel comfortable in a bathing suit!!

The problem is that it's sometimes difficult to step back my habits and reinstitute portion control after a week of eating cruise ship style! If I'm not careful, I'll continue to gain for a couple of months AFTER I get back!!

(That would be why the 6 months of pre-cruise dieting is necessary!!!);)

I have no idea how people can gain so much weight in merely a week! What are they doing, eating non-stop, drinking foo foo drinks all day and not moving a muscle? It takes an excess of 2000 calories above and beyond your normal intake to gain a pound, so I suppose some people are consuming an extra 2000-3000 ++ calories per day? That's a whole lotta food and beverage!

I have gained as much as 2 pounds, most of the time nothing at all. Those 2 pounds are gone in less than a week, so it may be just water weight. I eat what I want to eat, but I don't overeat. I try to stay close to my at home typical meals, as I don't want an upset tummy. We walk a lot, but I don't count that as it is not really a weight loss type of walk, just a stroll. We take the stairs, but again, just a few floors a couple times a day won't make that much difference.

As a menopausal woman, I beg to differ!!! If I'm not keeping my intake UNDER 1,500 calories per day, I'll gain! If I'm not active enough, even 1,500 can be too much!!

I am also menopausal. I always LOSE weight on cruises. I have never gained even ONE lb on a cruise.

It's when I am home that it's hard to get the weight off, even walking everyday.

As a menopausal woman, I beg to differ!!! If I'm not keeping my intake UNDER 1,500 calories per day, I'll gain! If I'm not active enough, even 1,500 can be too much!!

I have a real weight problem and feel as though I'm on a constant diet - 3 days of every week. I can't exercise much on a cruise ship (or at any time) as I have M.E. (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). However, I only seem to gain a couple of kg on a 12-day cruise and I lose that relatively easily, so it must be fluid.

Ever notice, in Vegas there are no clocks. On a cruise there are no scales.

I've actually asked regularly for ships to make some bathroom scales available for guests upon request. There is one in HAL's gyms but they are never accurate. If we had one in our bathroom, we could wait until we're tied up to use it and keep track of our weight status. One can usually gauge from how your clothes fit but I'd be happy to have a scale available.

If you only cruise a week a year, how much damage can a person actually do in a week?

If you sail many weeks a year, it's important to keep control IMO

I've actually asked regularly for ships to make some bathroom scales available for guests upon request. There is one in HAL's gyms but they are never accurate. ...

How would one know if they are accurate or not? :)

With regard to the original question, as with so many others who posted, I gained something like 5 to 10 lbs (3 to 6 kg) on my 7 day cruise and lost it within a week or two.

I've actually asked regularly for ships to make some bathroom scales available for guests upon request. ... If we had one in our bathroom, we could wait until we're tied up to use it and keep track of our weight status. One can usually gauge from how your clothes fit but I'd be happy to have a scale available.

I purchased a small bathroom scale online and bring it with me on any trip longer than a weekend (I like to weigh daily). In the box it is around 12" x 7" x 1". Pack it in my checked bag between layers. I know it weighs differently than my bathroom scale at home so I just take that into account. Kept us both on track on 13 day cruise and land trip this spring.

How would one know if they are accurate or not? :)

With regard to the original question, as with so many others who posted, I gained something like 5 to 10 lbs (3 to 6 kg) on my 7 day cruise and lost it within a week or two.

Because it isn't likely I lost 7 pounds in the first two days aboard on one cruise and have gotten other strange measurements of that sort. I know my weight the day I board and seeing my clothes fit exactly the same and I wasn't ill, it's not likely that was accurate. I wouldn't think anything of two or three pound variance but a loss of 7 pounds is impossible.

Archived