Summer 2014 Itineraries

Unfortunately all flights from down South

its not all milk & honey down ere either yerknow:D....takes us 2 hours plus to get to gatwick.... takes us at least an hour to get to any motorway....down mostly dirt tracks (or what passes for roads these days);):D

its not all milk & honey down ere either yerknow....takes us 2 hours plus to get to gatwick.... takes us at least an hour to get to any motorway....down mostly dirt tracks (or what passes for roads these days)

Aww shame. At least we have a roads but they are full of potholes:eek:.

It's not the time to get there it is also the length of time to add on in case of traffic problems and the couple of hours at least for check in. Bang goes the day.:eek: Next April we have opted for Manchester for the Atlantic Explorer because there are no flights from Scotland and it will necessitate an overnight stay before and, not decided yet, but possibly after as well.

Hey ho. The lengths we go to for a cruise.:D:)

takes me 4 hours to get to southampton!

to station

train to london

cross to waterloo

wait for train

train to southampton

walk to hotel.

ps on page 152 of the brochure it says that they can arrange flights from other regional airports subject to availability and airline schedules. Just give them all your money I suppose.

* In Oct there is one I don't undersatnd - Celebration to Portsmouth end of October?????????? Or is it a dry dock issue? This is off the Thomson site 'itineraries' - a mistake or not?

Not a mistake - it's in the 2013/14 brochure - Western Promise.

Celebration is off the radar for 5 or 6 weeks after arrival at Portsmouth so possibly off to Hamburg or somewhere for dry dock as Dream did last year.

Malc.

Find travelling to Glasgow airport tedious never mind down South although had to do a number of times and due to flight times has required an overnight stay/parking which all adds to the cost of the holiday

Hi Jim

Used to always go from Edinburgh (45 minutes over the two bridges;)) but find the choice of holiday plus flight times are better from Glasgow and Aberdeen's choice is even worse.:eek: However it is another 50 miles to get there and, as you said, overnight stay/parking has to be factored in as most flights are out first thing in the morning. Going south means two extra days on holiday involving travel by train, plane or car (or even boat if you come from the Isles) plus parking and overnight accommodation.:(

Worth it all once we get there though.;):)

takes me 4 hours to get to southampton!

to station

train to london

cross to waterloo

wait for train

train to southampton

walk to hotel.

ps on page 152 of the brochure it says that they can arrange flights from other regional airports subject to availability and airline schedules. Just give them all your money I suppose.

Flight prices are a bit hefty from Edinburgh/Glasgow/Aberdeen and again could include overnight stops. Plus luggage would be limited. Those who are fortunate enough to travel to Southampton by car are laughing as they can take as much luggage as they like - as long as it does not weigh any more than 20kgs per case. I'm a woman and would love to take my kitchen sink on holiday with me.:eek:;):D Your last sentence says it all - open cheque syndrome.:eek::)

Hi Jim

Used to always go from Edinburgh (45 minutes over the two bridges;)) but find the choice of holiday plus flight times are better from Glasgow and Aberdeen's choice is even worse.:eek:

Hi skion

Tay Bridge and Forth Bridge?...My preference is Edinburgh but your right regards more choice from Glasgow(hopefully that`ll change over time)so times we`ve had to accept flying from there.Never flown from Aberdeen

However it is another 50 miles to get there and, as you said, overnight stay/parking has to be factored in as most flights are out first thing in the morning. Going south means two extra days on holiday involving travel by train, plane or car (or even boat if you come from the Isles) plus parking and overnight accommodation.:(

Much the way I see it

Worth it all once we get there though.;):)

Thats what its all about

Lucky me then

87 miles to Gatwick (via M25 though) and only 67 miles to Southampton

Hi Linda

Stop bragging.:D Have flown out of Gatwick a couple of times in the past but never Manchester - that will be the challenge next year. Unsure how we are getting there but plenty time to sort out. The other thing with Thomson is that they don't have day before check in Scotland.:mad::)

Hi Jim

You got the bridges right.;)

Never flown from Aberdeen but had to take daughter and family there once. I was quite surprised at the size of it considering the industry that uses the airport up there.

We've got into a routine of going from Glasgow and booking into the Holiday Inn Express (they take the car away to secure park) then it's just a hop, skip and jump to check in and back for breakfast and tidy up before going through to departure lounge in time for flight. Great on way home. Car is already there and we are on the motorway before others have been picked up by car park to collect their vehicle.:D:)

Hi Linda

Stop bragging.:D Have flown out of Gatwick a couple of times in the past but never Manchester - that will be the challenge next year. Unsure how we are getting there but plenty time to sort out. The other thing with Thomson is that they don't have day before check in Scotland.:mad::)

From what we've been reading in the brochure - it won't be available anywhere for cruise only! :eek: Cannot understand why but presumably there is some rationale involved.

And on this issue - before this apparent (new) blanket ban on cruises, they used to allow it from Gatwick - but not for Barbados flights. But our friends travelled to Barbados about 4 days after us in Jan to join the Azura flying from Gatwick (like us) but they could do day-before check-in (BA flight I think)!!!!!!!!! Why? :confused::confused:

Not a mistake - it's in the 2013/14 brochure - Western Promise.

Celebration is off the radar for 5 or 6 weeks after arrival at Portsmouth so possibly off to Hamburg or somewhere for dry dock as Dream did last year.

Malc.

Thanks Malc :) I just wasn't sure what it meant or whether I'd got my wires crossed!

I meant to put about repositioning cruises, just saw it mentioned on here. At the moment, I can't find any information regarding the repositioning cruises for April 2014 or October apart from the transatlantic. It should be Majesty Sharm to Corfu, Celebration Tenerife to Marmaris and Spirit Limassol to Liverpool. Hopefully these should be released soon.

Regarding to Celebration going to Portsmouth this year, I think this has something to do with some work it is having done shortly after in I'm guessing Hamburg. It hasn't been in dry dock for a while now, unlike Dream when it its Platinum refurb done. I'm guessing it will be for this. Also, why Portsmouth? Possibly to test its suitability for adding to the ex-UK programme in the coming years?

Regarding to Celebration going to Portsmouth this year, I think this has something to do with some work it is having done shortly after in I'm guessing Hamburg. It hasn't been in dry dock for a while now, unlike Dream when it its Platinum refurb done. I'm guessing it will be for this. Also, why Portsmouth? Possibly to test its suitability for adding to the ex-UK programme in the coming years?

My first cruise was on Celebration to the fjords from Harwich so she is OK for the UK. Probably getting her bottom scraped although do Thomson usually use Gibraltar dockyard or is that Louis cruises?

My first cruise was on Celebration to the fjords from Harwich so she is OK for the UK. Probably getting her bottom scraped although do Thomson usually use Gibraltar dockyard or is that Louis cruises?

Louis have had Destiny at Gibraltar before, not sure on Thomson.

Hi Jim

You got the bridges right.;)

Never flown from Aberdeen but had to take daughter and family there once. I was quite surprised at the size of it considering the industry that uses the airport up there.

We've got into a routine of going from Glasgow and booking into the Holiday Inn Express (they take the car away to secure park) then it's just a hop, skip and jump to check in and back for breakfast and tidy up before going through to departure lounge in time for flight. Great on way home. Car is already there and we are on the motorway before others have been picked up by car park to collect their vehicle.:D:)

Hi skion

Used to work up in Aberdeen(and Dundee) and your right regards size of airport

Thats the hotel we always use/used when flying from Glasgow.Great location and service but extortionate drink prices ;)

I meant to put about repositioning cruises, just saw it mentioned on here. At the moment, I can't find any information regarding the repositioning cruises for April 2014 or October apart from the transatlantic. It should be Majesty Sharm to Corfu, Celebration Tenerife to Marmaris and Spirit Limassol to Liverpool. Hopefully these should be released soon.

Should be released on 25th and in new brochure I would think.

30 mins to bham, 45 mins to east mids and about 1.5 Hrs to Manchester we are so lucky

30 mins to Brizzle 50 mins to Brum 1hr to cardiff, 1hr 10'to Exeter 2hr to Manc and too far to Gatwick...........Bournemouth 40 mins if staying at Daughters before :-)......very lucky but makes searching for a bargain a mathematical nightmare ( petrol v time v price v parking )

Archived