Port of Miami getting of the Ship

kakarp

I know it’s depends on a number of things, but what is the average time that most of you of you have gotten of the ship at the Port of Miami. We are trying to figure out flights and my DW has asked this question and I can’t give her a good answer so I’m turning to you for help

Kevin

If you are flying out of MIA, I would not book a flight before noon.

Personally, I don't like the stress of cutting it real close for an early departure, it makes that day getting off the ship even worse. All it really takes is for one thing to go wrong and you'll miss the flight. And I've definitely had those mornings where for whatever reason, it's taken quite some time to get off the ship. You never know when customs will be an issue.

If you decide to fly out earlier than that, at the very least, carry your luggage off the ship yourself, instead of putting it out the night before and picking it up in the terminal. Those people start leaving the ship first.

Miami is often a crowded port with multiple ships docked. Even if you get off your ship quickly you still need a cab & there will be traffic getting out of the port.

It wasn't Miami but we were among the last off a ship in San Juan last year. We disembarked around 10. It was actually nice. I finished a book while waiting. It was very eary to spot our luggage & even the customs agents were starting to relax because there were no more people to clear.

When everything goes well I have been off the ship and at the terminal at FLL by 10:00 and MIA by 09:45 on past cruises from POM. However, that is the best times. Weather delays or on board emergencies (sick passengers, medevac etc) can cause delays. The latest that I have got to MIA has been 1:30 after a delayed arrival and fighting the arriviing traffic getting away from the pier. There were three otheer ships in on that day as I recall.

The latest I have been able to stay on board is around 10:00, they seem to come find you after that to send you off.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

If you are flying out of MIA, I would not book a flight before noon.

Personally, I don't like the stress of cutting it real close for an early departure, it makes that day getting off the ship even worse. All it really takes is for one thing to go wrong and you'll miss the flight. And I've definitely had those mornings where for whatever reason, it's taken quite some time to get off the ship. You never know when customs will be an issue.

If you decide to fly out earlier than that, at the very least, carry your luggage off the ship yourself, instead of putting it out the night before and picking it up in the terminal. Those people start leaving the ship first.

cruisecritiquer -I LOVE your NY photo!:D

Been there done that too many times too, DEFINITELY book a flight after noon - I now just accept the fact we are going to arrive home later than I would like

Besides the extra time it might take disembarking, MIA can be chaotic with heavy traffic and depending on your flight, TSA lines in MIA are very many times long and slow - do not ruin your cruise worrying about an early flight

We routinely book out flight before noon....anytime around 11am is ok....we don't do the "self-carry off" thing, either. About midway thru the cruise, they will ask you to tell them if you have an early flight...do so. They will put you in one of the 1st groups off the ship. We're at the airport before 9am.

Lots of cruisers book flights out of Miami at 1100am, but that doesent leave you much room for error. 1200pm is the recommended time. Rather wait an extra hour than miss the flight and be there for a few more hours. DW and I drive to the terminal, so we dont jump off the ship right away. We usually meet people cruisers from dinner and have a cup or two of coffee and talk until around 930am.

Archived