Bringing a foldable Beach Chair onboard?

boowaaccaa

:eek: no, say no, no to people bringing their own chairs onboard...I can't imagine a more crowded pool deck full of people's own lawn chairs and umbrellas!! seriously, come on...do you take your own napkin when you eat at a restaurant too?? I have seen blow up pools onboard and I thought that was ridiculous..there has to be a limit, we are on vacation, not in someone's backyard

I think they are for using off the boat. If you want to carry your own on, why shouldn't you? Sounds like a great idea.

• Like 1

While I haven't done it myself, I have seen lots of people do this - the folding beach chairs that sit low to the ground and umbrellas. On our past trip to Bermuda in July, I saw the most. A beach chair at Horseshoe Bay runs $17 each. Same for umbrellas. Plus you have to pay a deposit for each item. It can definitely save some money and thought it was a great idea for those who are driving to the port.

• Like 1

We brought cheap blow-up floats.

We used them in Belize to snorkel.

Boy was it nice not to have to swim.

Just plant your head in the water, kick, and enjoy!

Then we gave them to local kids.

:rolleyes:

BigTex,

That makes great sense. Minimum packing space, great use, provides a little more moral support for son who is not a great swimmer, unused product (clean, germ free), and at the end of the excursion- you get the satisfaction of making some local kids happy- Great Idea; Thanks for sharing :)

As far as the collapsible chair is concerned, I agree with well traveled "richfret". Why not, it is not about being cheap. Lets look at the pros and cons:

1. I know where my collapsible chair has been.

2. I can use it at any time I please in any of the lines that I may be asked to stand in

3. It is lightweight and packs away easily (talking about the small collapsible that fit in or below a backpack)

4. No worries about the comfort factor- already tried it!

5. Can use for guests in room and on balcony.

Negatives:

- Have to worry about what others may think of me

Easy decision! Bring the collapsible chair!

-Boomer

Edited by BoomerHouston
  • Like 1

Smartest thing I ever did was bring pool noodles on a cruise... they weigh next to nothing provide a safe buffer in your luggage and floating the day away on megans bay and other beaches was one of our best memories. We had a ton of people ask where they could get them. We gave them away on our last beach day to a few very grateful kids when we were heading back to the ship.:)

If you think that bringing those chairs will enhance your vacation in any way, go for it. Worst case scenario you can leave them on the beach for someone else to enjoy.:)

Hi all,

Some good responses here!

I actually considered bringing one before too, the ones that collapse and go in their own pouch and you can carry over your shoulder like a bag. And the only reason I would like to is becuase when I go to the beach I love to put my chair right were the waves break and just sit there kind of half way in the water half way out, but still getting my feet and my bum wet, yet not getting sand in places it doesn't belong :p. Unfortunately, when you rent chairs from most beaches, they don't allow you to put the chairs or lounges too close to the water :cool: which is a bummer! The only palce I've gone to while cruising that allowed us to put them close to the water, and maybe that's cause they didn't see us, was Costa Maya.

However, I would not like to see them scattered around on the ship's open decks (you know, where all the party is going on)! I think it would create a lot more traffic jams then they already have with their own loungers and chairs, espeially on sea days when half the ship wants to be out on the decks and in the sun. Now, if you find a secluded spot to put your chair to relax, I wouldn't think any less of anyone for doing that, I'd probably want to set mine out under a shade and just watch the water pass by....aaahhh that sounds nice right about now, lol! :D

Anywho, I wouldn't think any less of anyone for doing it, but if I happened to be walking through the decks and someone has created a traffic jam becuase of where they put their chair I would probably get really annoyed and roll my eyes till they hurt, lol!

Over the summer we bought some mesh papasan floaters that fold up easy and small for storage. All you have to do is air up the inflatable ring (which isn't a lot). We used them at home in the pool, but the main thought was to bring them for use in port. We have a beach day at Nachi and thought it would be fun to do. We even thought about bringing a beach blanket or something similar that would be nice to lay out on that would pack easily. I think it's a great idea :-)

Is that a guess or something you have observed?

I haven't observed it, but I did read a response from John on his blog about personal chairs and umbrella's not being used on the Lido deck due to the already crowded area.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I know this thread is old, but I was googling this exact thing as I was just on a Caribbean cruise.  The places we went,  rentals were $40-$50 a day for 2 chairs and an umbrella. I thought it was on the expensive side. I hate laying on a beach towel for more than an hour.   If you have 4+ ports, this can add up.  I really don't want to carry anything bulky, but I did see someone with a chair that disassembled into a bag in FL.  It was not a lounger though.  

OP, reporting back, we each brought one - the collapsible ones that have a bag and easily swing over your shoulders to carry. They were a pleasure to use one the promenade deck, pulling right up to the rail. We got light/cheap ones, once over shoulder you didn’t even know they were there. 

I’d certainly do it again (but would not use them in any crowded area). 

I’d also bring them ashore rather than pay inflated prices for crappy loungers! 

Per Carnival's FAQ's:

tems for Port Use Only

The following items may be brought on board, but can be used off the ship, while in port only. All items must be stored in the guest’s stateroom.  

• Drone 
  • Snorkel gear
  • Segways
  • Skateboards
  • Golf clubs
  • Fishing rods
  • Tennis rackets
  • Kites
  • Roller blades or skates
  • Metal detectors
  • Beach chair
  • Umbrella
  • Boogie Boards (maximum 42 inches in length)
  • Portable Folding Bicycles (maximum 20 inch tires)
  • Floatation devices:  For the comfort of all our guests, rafts, tubes and floatation devices other than those used as life preservers (water wings) cannot be used in the swimming pools on board
  • Collapsible wagons - For the safety of our guests, the wagon cannot be rolled onto/off the ship during embarkation and debarkation and cannot be rolled off/onto the ship while in port  

It’s not a beach chair, it is a camping chair!

i should add that we live in the home port, it is a simple Uber drive, no hassle at all - and it allows us to enjoy the outside promenade deck which inexplicably does not have seating. 

2 hours ago, TrinaLC said:

It’s not a beach chair, it is a camping chair!

i should add that we live in the home port, it is a simple Uber drive, no hassle at all - and it allows us to enjoy the outside promenade deck which inexplicably does not have seating. 

So, you choose to call it a "camping chair" and that makes OK in your opinion? Carnival is pretty clear in they don't want additional deck "clutter" but you deem it to be your decision? Did you consider that by design that  it "inexplicably does not have seating"?

On 11/15/2012 at 7:59 PM, Bigtex1622 said:

We brought cheap blow-up floats.

We used them in Belize to snorkel.

Boy was it nice not to have to swim.

Just plant your head in the water, kick, and enjoy!

Then we gave them to local kids.

:rolleyes:

We do this every cruise!

• Like 1

Spring1onu, I have taken and enjoyed having a mesh papasan floater chair (Target) with me....I like nothing more than floating in the sea in the sunshine.  I could do it for hours on end!  I've also taken a pool noodle with me - also exclusively for port use.  I bend it into a U-shape and float. Pool noodles are for driving to port (or buying in the port city).  The spring-mesh-papasans are the solution for cruises when flying to the port  (and fit in my carry-on, my only luggage). 

On 11/15/2012 at 5:15 PM, boowaaccaa said:

Ok- I know this may sound crazy but has anyone brought a portable beach chair with them on board? We have all beach stops and are driving to the port. Plus we will already have our beach chairs in the car becuase we are staying in South Beach after the cruise.

I have seen people with them strapped to there back going to check in. I guess the ones available do not suit them.

If I had an inside cabin, I would bring a collapsable chair and chill on the secret deck.It'snot like it is hurting anything, geez. And if someone tells you you can't use it, just take it back to your cabin. No biggie.  

I don't know why some people are so concerned about what other people do. It's no skin off my back if someone wants to carry around a pool noodle or a camping chair.

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 2

I think it is a great idea - especially if you are going to beaches that aren't the usual tourist places.  And chairs are not $5 each in many places (some are $20 for 2 with umbrella) so you can save a lot of money.

To all of those people who said they would LAUGH to see someone with their own chairs .... I am 100% sure that others would laugh at a lot of things you take onto the ship. Like the OP who wants the convenience/cost effectiveness of their own chairs there are people who want to bring 7+ pairs of shoes, 7 bathing suits, over the door hanger, 14+ outfits, night lights, more than one suitcase of stuff per person, etc.

We don't bring chairs ourselves (or the things mentioned above) but after 30+ cruises we've learned exactly what we need and travel light.

• Like 1