Alaska: Sapphire vs. Coral/Island

O2B@Cagain

In looking at Alaska cruises next summer, it seems there is a choice between Sapphire and Coral/Island Princess. I see that Sapphire is going to be newly "redone". Does anyone have any words of wisdom about the choice between the two ship types? Also, do people use the Sanctuary in cold weather??

The Sapphire was remodeled earlier this year. I don't think she's going back into drydock for another couple of years.

There are pluses and minus' to these ships. The Sapphire has been redone and has the International Cafe, Alfredo's and Vines. She has four smaller Anytime dining rooms. The Coral/Island are narrower ships and have a lot fewer passengers. I believe the difference is 1,950 vs. 2,600 or something like that. These two ships also have both forward and aft public decks that the Sapphire doesn't. The Sanctuary on the Sapphire is high up and far forward so it's prone to wind and weather. The Sanctuary on the Coral/Island is high up and at the back of the ship. There's a good-sized overhang on Lido deck that protects you somewhat from wind, rain, etc. I booked it last September on the Island and used it from Vancouver to FLL, even on cold or rainy days. They gave me a blanket when it was chilly.

While I love the IC and am dying to try Alfredo's, I'd pick the Coral/Island because of the overall better cruise experience with fewer passengers. I'd book the Sanctuary on these ships but not on the Sapphire on an Alaskan cruise.

The Sapphire was remodeled earlier this year. I don't think she's going back into drydock for another couple of years.

There are pluses and minus' to these ships. The Sapphire has been redone and has the International Cafe, Alfredo's and Vines. She has four smaller Anytime dining rooms. The Coral/Island are narrower ships and have a lot fewer passengers. I believe the difference is 1,950 vs. 2,600 or something like that. These two ships also have both forward and aft public decks that the Sapphire doesn't. The Sanctuary on the Sapphire is high up and far forward so it's prone to wind and weather. The Sanctuary on the Coral/Island is high up and at the back of the ship. There's a good-sized overhang on Lido deck that protects you somewhat from wind, rain, etc. I booked it last September on the Island and used it from Vancouver to FLL, even on cold or rainy days. They gave me a blanket when it was chilly.

While I love the IC and am dying to try Alfredo's, I'd pick the Coral/Island because of the overall better cruise experience with fewer passengers. I'd book the Sanctuary on these ships but not on the Sapphire on an Alaskan cruise.

The Sanctuary on the Coral/Island is on the deck above the Lido deck. I personally found the Sanctuary to cold to use in Alaska.

I have been on all three, and the Sapphire by far has the most wow factor. We love coffee drinks, the International Cafe and sitting in the piazza, and the Sapphire has a lovely piazza area. I can put up with more passengers for a ship as lovely as the Sapphire!! But that being said, the other two ships are very nice, but you asked which we thought was the nice stop...so I am giving my opinion!!

Good luck!!

I would agree that right now the Sapphire has the WOW factor with the IC, Alfredo's and a revised HC layout. However, the Coral will be having a major 21 day drydock starting January 18. It is almost assured that the HC will be revised for better flow and there is at least a possibility that she will get an IC. Depending upon the upgrades actually made during the drydock, the Coral might get my vote.

The Sanctuary on the Coral/Island is on the deck above the Lido deck. I personally found the Sanctuary to cold to use in Alaska.

Pam is correct. The Sanctuary on the Coral is bi-level, with the upper level on the Sun Deck and the lower level on the Lido Deck.

Pam is correct. The Sanctuary on the Coral is bi-level, with the upper level on the Sun Deck and the lower level on the Lido Deck.
Thanks for the correction. You are right. The main lounge area is on Lido deck and that's where the most coverage (overhang) is. Access to the pool is more direct from the Sanctuary on Lido deck.

DSC00537.JPG

I have done the Coral and Sapphire to Alaska and all 3 ships you have chosen would be great. I prefer Coral/Island size but like some things the Sapphire has. It would be a toss up for me.

The Sanctuary has not been used on my Sapphire Alaskan cruises this summer at all. I would not make this a priority in making a choice.

As much as we have enjoyed the Coral IMO the Sapphire is a nicer ship, has better viewing areas for Alaska be it out on deck or in Skywalkers and of course it has all of the new whistles and bells. Granted the ship is large but the public areas are sized accordingly, people move freely and it does not feel big at all. That said, you can't go wrong with either but left to us, we would go with the Sapphire.

The Coral/Island are narrower ships and have a lot fewer passengers. I believe the difference is 1,950 vs. 2,600 or something like that. These two ships also have both forward and aft public decks that the Sapphire doesn't. .

I am not sure what this reference is, but the superb, spacious, bow deck was open on the Sapphire the entire time when I was on it in August.

Pam: Under "deck plans"for the Sapphire on the Princess website, it asks if you are traveling before or after May, 2013. I assumed they were doing something to the ship in that period of time.

So the Sapphire is more along the lines of the Caribbean Princess? Larger but with more public areas? Does this make a difference in a cold environment? Will everyone be crowded inside?

Is there one ship that has better lectures, interpretation, etc.of the area?

Pam: Under "deck plans"for the Sapphire on the Princess website, it asks if you are traveling before or after May, 2013. I assumed they were doing something to the ship in that period of time.

So the Sapphire is more along the lines of the Caribbean Princess? Larger but with more public areas? Does this make a difference in a cold environment? Will everyone be crowded inside?

Is there one ship that has better lectures, interpretation, etc.of the area?

Not Pam but some answers.

Deck Plans - Princess is recategorizing their cabins. The ship is not undergoing any changes but a cabin you may know as one category may have a different category name.

The Sapphire (and Diamond) was built in Japan and is slightly different then the other ships. It has one less deck then the Caribbean Princess so 500 less passengers. It has a slightly better space ratio then the earlier Grand class ships (Grand, Golden and Star).

It does not have a crowding issue at all in Alaska. I have done the ship several times in Alaska including 2x this summer.

A lot of the "Alaskan speakers" who come onboard, come onboard all of Princess ships such as Libby Riddles. There are Naturalists on all ships in Alaska and there is no way to know until the beginning of the summer who the Naturalist is. Also, the Naturalist may or may not be on for the whole summer. Sometimes they only work a month and another one comes onboard. So there is no way at this point to determine who the Naturalist is right now (Princess may not even know).

Having cruised both Sapphire and Coral, we love the Coral for Alaska. The public viewing decks at the aft of the ship are wonderful for glacier viewing, and the promenade deck is very wide with nice deck chairs and a continuous track around the ship where we've often walked and been treated to critter sightings. We've had many critter sightings in the horizon court as well which is located at the bow of the ship. Both are lovely designs so you'll have a great experience, whichever you choose. :)

In looking at Alaska cruises next summer, it seems there is a choice between Sapphire and Coral/Island Princess. I see that Sapphire is going to be newly "redone". Does anyone have any words of wisdom about the choice between the two ship types? Also, do people use the Sanctuary in cold weather??

I was just on the Island a month ago. While it was a nice ship and had its own personality, i missed the international cafe a lot. This ship also does not have a dedicated night club (other ships do), which I wasnt a fan of.

My vote is for Sapphire.

QUOTE]

Inside, can be crowded, on glacier sailing days, you will find this space filling up early.

FAR better is to have proper attire, including layers, lined jacket, hat and gloves and get out on deck. :) The scenery involves all the senses, consider making the effort to fully enjoy it.

We had a great time on the Sapphire this past August. It was our best Alaskan cruise yet. We got upgraded to a deluxe ocean view cabin--one of the forward-facing cabins with a balcony but no balcony furniture. It was the perfect spot for seeing the glaciers.

The thing we did not like about the Island was the loss of the pool at the aft. It's reserved for Sanctuary passengers only.

Archived