Where can my (hopefully) pregnant wife relax on Mariner OTS?

AlanS17

My wife and I are cruising on March 3rd on the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. If everything goes according to plan, she'll be pregnant by then. I won't go into the details there, but you get the picture...

Anyways, this could potentially exclude her from some of the more active pursuits that make Mariner famous. So where can she go to relax? We've never been on a Royal Caribbean boat, but I've read up on the Solarium. Obviously, we'll schedule her some spa time, too.

What I'm really looking for is those quiet places where it's easy to retreat and read a book or take it easy. I'm not naive enough to request silence. I'll settle for calm (or at the very least, room to move around). Thanks in advance. :-)

My wife and I are cruising on March 3rd on the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. If everything goes according to plan, she'll be pregnant by then. I won't go into the details there, but you get the picture...

Anyways, this could potentially exclude her from some of the more active pursuits that make Mariner famous. So where can she go to relax? We've never been on a Royal Caribbean boat, but I've read up on the Solarium. Obviously, we'll schedule her some spa time, too.

What I'm really looking for is those quiet places where it's easy to retreat and read a book or take it easy. I'm not naive enough to request silence. I'll settle for calm (or at the very least, room to move around). Thanks in advance. :-)

The solarium is usually pretty quiet--it is nothing like the main pool deck with the band and large groups of people. The spa is, of course, a great option. I'd also recommend booking a balcony, if you can, as that would probably be the most relaxing. RCI shops also feature libraries. They are small but should be quiet if she wants to read a book.

Good luck!

The solarium is usually pretty quiet--it is nothing like the main pool deck with the band and large groups of people. The spa is, of course, a great option. I'd also recommend booking a balcony, if you can, as that would probably be the most relaxing. RCI shops also feature libraries. They are small but should be quiet if she wants to read a book.

Good luck!

Well the only thing in our budget was a promenade interior stateroom so a balcony is unfortunately out of the question at this point. I've noticed that pictures online show a box window overlooking the promenade, but we're kind of relying on public areas for most things.

Well the only thing in our budget was a promenade interior stateroom so a balcony is unfortunately out of the question at this point. I've noticed that pictures online show a box window overlooking the promenade, but we're kind of relying on public areas for most things.

Watch for possible price drops after final payment date. You may be able to upgrade to a balcony for little or no money. A private balcony is a wonderful place to relax.

Watch for possible price drops after final payment date. You may be able to upgrade to a balcony for little or no money. A private balcony is a wonderful place to relax.

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes pealed. Are there any particular times to expect a good sale?

Alan, I think that you have already given us all the details! :eek:

She should be able to do anything that she FEELS like doing. She is unlikely to have any restrictions on her activities.

Just keep insisting to the waiters: VIRGIN.........(bloody mary, marguerita, daquiri, whatever she wants.) Sometimes they don't "believe" you.

During the day, the Maharajahs Lounge at the front of the Royal Promenade can be a quiet place to relax. Viking Crown Lounge, too. The library may or may not be quiet - it is an open area, and it's right on the Centrum. Can be a hangout for teens. March is spring break time.

Do a couples thing in the spa. Perfect for a "babymoon".

Pre-congratulations!

Hi,

Just off the MOS a few weeks ago and there is no Maharajahs Lounge. There is the Champagne Bar and Boleros which can be somewhat relaxing during the day with people playing cards and reading. The smoking sections in those places tend to drift to the nonsmokers though. I second the loungers in the adult solarium area for her. I never did find my favorite spot on the ship, though.

Donna

It looks like Maharajah's is called the Lotus Lounge on Mariner - deck 5 forward.

There are always quiet indoor and outdoor places on a voyager class ship depending on the time of day. The deck 4 outdoor promenade area is long and large and usually very quiet. Your promenade room will have a banquette bench window seat that your wife might enjoy.

Walk each deck of the ship to see what it offers. There is a back deck area on deck 12 that could offer some solitude.

For a great view and quiet, the Viking Crown lounge offers a lovely space to read or just watch the water go by. Of course this is an inside view. Not sure if you can get out to a balcony from there. I know some Viking Crown lounges where that is the case. Not really a big enough space to do more than stand is what I recall.

If you are looking for an outside space besides the Solarium, deck 5 has lounge chairs outside that are also a great place to read and relax. Just make sure you are on the no smoking side of the ship. Wouldn't think you'd want your wife inhaling secondhand smoke.

Someone mentioned the Lotus Lounge on deck 5. I just don't find it a venue that gives me that ahhh, I'm on a cruise experience. It seems rather cave like.

Our first promenade ever cabin was on the Mariner. Really enjoyed it. It was so cool to be able to look over the Promenade and see what was going on. The cabin has a nice window seat that provides a place to relax. As has been suggested and if you are interested, you might be able to snag a balcony for a bit less, but I'm guessing that won't be the case on the Mariner in March. Maybe you could ask Santa and friends for Royal Caribbean gift certificates that you could use to float the difference! ;):)

The Viking Crown lounge is always my favorite place during the day. It has a birds eye view of the pool deck and nice ocean views. It is very quiet until cocktail time.

But, a word to the wise--if the ship is rocking, that is where the motion is felt the most. :p Not always the best for a newly pregnant momma.

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes pealed. Are there any particular times to expect a good sale?

Just check daily after final payment date. It won't really be a sale, but a price reduction for cabins with extra inventory. It may or may not happen, but worth checking. If you don't get a balcony, I agree that the Viking Crown Lounge (Ellington's) on Deck 14 is a nice place.

My wife and I are cruising on March 3rd on the Mariner of the Seas out of Galveston. If everything goes according to plan, she'll be pregnant by then. I won't go into the details there, but you get the picture.....

Eeuuww kinda creepy post, dude. A little TMI.

Hey there, having been pregnant twice, both times with high blood pressure I can tell you, she will be fine... maybe a little tired, or with an upset tummy every now and then, but she isn't going to be needing a steady state of quiet. There are tons of hidden gems on every ship... just enjoy being away together and have fun.

Being pregnant isn't a disease, its a condition and early on, she may not even feel like anything is different.

Checking daily is always wise. We booked our first-ever balcony after originally having an inside room; a guarantee opened up and the temptation was irresistible. We even got one major price drop (although we didn't upgrade) after someone mentioned that our cruise was featuring a NY resident's sale. The price drop was not advertised on the main page--you had to actually start a booking and input your state of residence to see the new prices. We have been on four cruises in the last three-and-a-half years, and we have gotten either a price drop or a price drop + upgrade on EVERY one. Keep your eyes out for guarantees!

Well I checked again this morning (just a day after booking) and prices have dropped. Sadly, the balconies have not dropped enough to be worth it, but I can save $40 per person on my existing room. I'm calling Royal Caribbean now to try and update the price.

AAAAHHHH!!!!! I called RC to try and negotiate a price change, but the woman was slow and I was having a hard time explaining what I was trying to do. But the time she looked it up, the price had changed back.

I'm now on hold trying to talk with a manager. She's over here trying to tell me that I'm reading my screen wrong and that the price never went down, and I'm telling her that I know what I'm talking about.

I should have screen-shotted it because now I can't go back. Hind sight is 20/20...

The best place for your wife to relax is where she wants to go.

FYI, life has a funny way of controlling you life, getting pregnant is not like ordering a pizza, you can plan all you want but the ability to get pregnant is not as easy as you think.

AAAAHHHH!!!!! I called RC to try and negotiate a price change, but the woman was slow and I was having a hard time explaining what I was trying to do. But the time she looked it up, the price had changed back.

I'm now on hold trying to talk with a manager. She's over here trying to tell me that I'm reading my screen wrong and that the price never went down, and I'm telling her that I know what I'm talking about.

I should have screen-shotted it because now I can't go back. Hind sight is 20/20...

Keep checking. A lot of times price drops disappear for a few days or hours because someone puts something on hold. When the hold expires (24 hours up to a few days) you should see it again.

She should be able to do anything that she FEELS like doing. She is unlikely to have any restrictions on her activities.

Pre-congratulations!

The best place for your wife to relax is where she wants to go.

She might be somewhat limited. When DW was pregnant with our daughter, her OB/GYN told her to stay out of hot tubs.

The women who have had children and experienced pregnancy all say, there should be no limitations, it is the men who are the ones who are offering ways to limit activity.

Two points, one this woman is not pregnant yet, it is her husband who is assuming this is a done deal. I am under the impression it is the woman's right to choose.

Second point,if this woman becomes pregnant and is so restricted she should not be on a cruise.

The women who have had children and experienced pregnancy all say, there should be no limitations, it is the men who are the ones who are offering ways to limit activity.

Two points, one this woman is not pregnant yet, it is her husband who is assuming this is a done deal. I am under the impression it is the woman's right to choose.

Second point,if this woman becomes pregnant and is so restricted she should not be on a cruise.

I don't think the OP was implying anything about whose choice it is to have a child. It seems like he and his wife have a joint plan under which his wife will--if all goes to plan--be pregnant during their cruise. There is nothing wrong with anticipating and planning. In fact, determining what would be good for the OP's wife and what she might want to avoid doing is a good way to ensure that expectations are appropriately set and priorities are predetermined.

Second, there is no reason that a pregnant woman should not be on a cruise. I believe RCI prohibits passengers who have reached a certain point in their pregnancy, but--aside from that--there is no reason why someone pregnant should not enjoy just like everyone else. Nor was the OP suggesting that his wife would be "so restricted" from doing things. In fact, he was merely asking what would be good for her to do and what she might refrain from doing.

Archived