How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

Virus issue?

It will affect all cruise line stocks, causing a drop in earnings and the share price.  Depending on how long it lasts, it may even be enough to cause serious problems for one or two of the weaker cruise lines, especially any who sail primarily in the far east.   Yes it is terrible, especially for those caught up in it.  But it will pass.

Just like the bird flu, tensions with North Korea, trade war, 9-11, terrorism/piracy on the high seas, high oil prices, threats of global warming (flooding ports), the poop cruise, the sinking off of Italy and anything else going on in our world today or for the past 50+ years.

The longer you pay attention to the stock market, the more you will realize that share price is a function of company earnings.  Todays headlines are temporary blips in the long term growth.  Yes, I know.  "This time it is different.  This is worse.  Run, the sky is falling!"  Until something revolutionary comes along (UBER vs taxis or Amazon vs Walmart), nothing will change.  And you can still catch a taxi to go to a Walmart to do your shopping if you wish to do so.  I was employed by Walmart for over 25 years.  Various media and Wall St people have been predicting the end of Walmart for 20 years.  It is still going strong.  So is Carnival

Full disclosure.  I own shares of CCL and WMT.  No Amazon or UBER yet, other than in mutual funds. 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2012 at 10:09 PM, mapsmith said:

Now if you were like me and bought in February 2009. . . .

I wanted to buy at $17 in 2009 before my first cruise.  My (now) ex-wife said she didn't think so.  I told her with OBC alone we would come out ahead.  Needless to say, I lost the argument.  Divorced... re-married and have cruised 7 times with my new wife.  Should've bought the damned stock.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, d-lite-n-cruisin said:

I wanted to buy at $17 in 2009 before my first cruise.  My (now) ex-wife said she didn't think so.  I told her with OBC alone we would come out ahead.  Needless to say, I lost the argument.  Divorced... re-married and have cruised 7 times with my new wife.  Should've bought the damned stock.

Your first wife would have taken it away from you !

🙂

It always has to fit your portfolio.....BUT I will say this.  If I bought 100 shares of CCL stock before my very first Carnival Cruise I would have gained $600 in OBC.  I would have gained approximately $1000 in dividends over that time frame  and had I reinvested those dividends the value of my shares would be about $1200 more than when I first purchased.  That puts me up $2800 overall and about 12% growth annualized.

24 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

It always has to fit your portfolio.....BUT I will say this.  If I bought 100 shares of CCL stock before my very first Carnival Cruise I would have gained $600 in OBC.  I would have gained approximately $1000 in dividends over that time frame  and had I reinvested those dividends the value of my shares would be about $1200 more than when I first purchased.  That puts me up $2800 overall and about 12% growth annualized.

but what has the S&P 500 done during that time frame? here is Carnival's stock return chart as required by SEC filings over the last 5 years. (i apologize for the size of this post). from 2014-18 you would be ahead, but if you got in after 2017, you are even more down.

image.png.52e4502c338fc348b240b024fc886ccc.png

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 12:14 AM, Denverdonkeys said:

but what has the S&P 500 done during that time frame? here is Carnival's stock return chart as required by SEC filings over the last 5 years. (i apologize for the size of this post). from 2014-18 you would be ahead, but if you got in after 2017, you are even more down.

image.png.52e4502c338fc348b240b024fc886ccc.png

Your analysis is thorough and it scares me a bit, from buying the Carnival shares. I think now that I am retired if I do five 14 day cruises a year, the share holder benefit MIGHT be worth the risk.

Don't be scared, but be thoughtful.  It depends on what your next egg allows and what your mix of pension/401k/social security income will be.

as someone else said, it pays a dividend and for that reason could be a good asset to hold to spin off income in retirement.

if you really did 5 14 day cruises, at current rates and rules, that would be $1,250 in OBC. now depending on how wild you get on spending when you have OBC vs your own money, that could be a great savings. $250 in OBC for a 14 day cruise would almost cover the daily gratuities for 2 people. those are charges you will incur (unless you remove gratuities, which I don't agree with). that level of OBC would pay for the stock in roughly 3.5-4 years, not counting any dividends received. I would try and make that work for me. If married, I would try and get the stock in a joint account so that my spouse could have the benefit if they ever traveled without me.

Hindsight is 20/20, but buying the stock now is like buying it in 2015 price-wise. I just put that analysis in there because a few people are claiming it is a no brainer, when you have to consider other potential investments. The OBC might be a huge return for your situation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

Don't be scared, but be thoughtful.  It depends on what your next egg allows and what your mix of pension/401k/social security income will be.

as someone else said, it pays a dividend and for that reason could be a good asset to hold to spin off income in retirement.

if you really did 5 14 day cruises, at current rates and rules, that would be $1,250 in OBC. now depending on how wild you get on spending when you have OBC vs your own money, that could be a great savings. $250 in OBC for a 14 day cruise would almost cover the daily gratuities for 2 people. those are charges you will incur (unless you remove gratuities, which I don't agree with). that level of OBC would pay for the stock in roughly 3.5-4 years, not counting any dividends received. I would try and make that work for me. If married, I would try and get the stock in a joint account so that my spouse could have the benefit if they ever traveled without me.

Hindsight is 20/20, but buying the stock now is like buying it in 2015 price-wise. I just put that analysis in there because a few people are claiming it is a no brainer, when you have to consider other potential investments. The OBC might be a huge return for your situation.

Thank you for your thoughtful advice.

Buying shares for me.. needs a little hand-holding.

I am waiting to see what happens with the downturn in the cruise industry.

I am absolutely certain the industry will pick up.  And cruising will be more popular.

What I am not sure about is will there be a oversupply  of cabins with the influx of more and more 6400 Cabin cruise ships.

I could not sit on a cruise ship for 14 days knowing I could have bought the cruise line shares and got Shareholder benefit of $250.

One option could be to buy all three companies shares.

100 CCL is $4,200

100 RCL is $11,000

100 NCLH is $5,000

Approx $20,000

I am not sure which cruise line I will try first. Based in Asia Australia I feel Carnival is my most likely Choice. 

Possibly Princess or Holland Line.

But right now there are no Cruise lines in Asia so I might be waiting a while.

1 hour ago, amatuercruiser said:

100 CCL is $4,200

100 RCL is $11,000

100 NCLH is $5,000

Approx $20,000

This is a rough summary of the cost for the OBC, but i think the RCL and CCL OBC are the same amount. so the return for CCL is much better. I have also read that the OBC for RCL used to be harder to get if you booked with a promotion or such (I think they have relaxed this), I have yet to try.

I would not hold $11K in RCL, but I would try and day trade for it.

41 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Wow. That OBC means a lot to people. I have two journey cruises booked. Both over 14 days. I haven't bought any stock. I'm okay without the $250 OBC.

To each their own. Depending on when your cruises are booked (if in the approved window) you could have $500 for a simple buy and sell of the stock (shorter holding period, smaller risk). seems like easy money to me (assuming you have cash you could deploy).

1 hour ago, amatuercruiser said:

100 CCL is $4,200

100 RCL is $11,000

100 NCLH is $5,000

I read some horror stories of trying to redeem the RCL onboard credit offers. from what i read, if you have existing promo that includes OBC then RCL will not give you the credit unless you give up that promo or something like that. Maybe things changed over the years now 

16 hours ago, shof515 said:

I read some horror stories of trying to redeem the RCL onboard credit offers. from what i read, if you have existing promo that includes OBC then RCL will not give you the credit unless you give up that promo or something like that. Maybe things changed over the years now 

Well if they held up paying the OBC  in Australia all the "FAIR DINKUM" shareholders would storm the Shareholder meeting and demand that Management HONOR their commitment to Share holder OBC.

On 2/16/2020 at 1:17 AM, amatuercruiser said:

As a CCL share holder, How do you feel the prospects for CCL future growth and dividend yield in light of the current Virus issues on the cruise industry?

The virus issues are creating a good buying opportunity.

12 minutes ago, Farts said:

At what price do you think Carnival share price will bottom out?

That's something that I want to know too. 

I would not have thought this a weeks ago. But if the Coronavirus keeps going ,it might just be  a matter of adding up the scrap metal value of each ship in The Carnival fleet !!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, amatuercruiser said:

I would not have thought this a weeks ago. But if the Coronavirus keeps going ,it might just be  a matter of adding up the scrap metal value of each ship in The Carnival fleet !!

haha. 

I don't think the cruise industry is dead. But I do think that it will take a huge hit.

I was happy to find this thread, my husband and I have been discussing getting CCL stock for a few years, we were going to buy it at $65/share, but now it is a real bargain, we have been watching the price daily. We cruise often within the CCL family and think it would be fun to own a piece of the pie and a few benefits are a bonus too.

8 minutes ago, pepsigirl64 said:

I was happy to find this thread, my husband and I have been discussing getting CCL stock for a few years, we were going to buy it at $65/share, but now it is a real bargain, we have been watching the price daily. We cruise often within the CCL family and think it would be fun to own a piece of the pie and a few benefits are a bonus too.

Pepsigirl64,

For on board credit now is a great time to buy if you cruise often.  I have owned CCL several times over the years and received OBC via Shareholder's info emailed to Carnival.  I currently do not own CCL stock, but do plan to pick up 100 shares @32 if it looks like it's going up.  I may wait a while and see if it goes lower.  Our next cruise is April 27 and we have eight booked in the next two years so we'll be getting $800 as OBC on $3200 for a 25% return.  If it goes up fine, if it goes down I'll still be ahead until $24/ share assuming I sell then.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:27 AM, amatuercruiser said:

At what price do you think Carnival share price will bottom out?

If you knew info like this you would be rich. Not one person on this board or in the financial world can answer this question

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coevan said:

If you knew info like this you would be rich. Not one person on this board or in the financial world can answer this question

Coevan,

The key is 'do you think?'  We can all answer that; I think 26 will be the low.