How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

I had my financial advisor buy my 100 shares in my IRA account. That means the stocks are part of my retirement. The OBC given is never taxable since it never reaches the account, and the annual dividend goes into the IRA account and rather than used to buy any more stock. It is not taxable until such time as it is taken out of the account.

I have my shares through Etrade, unfortunately at the current price of $50 a share it takes $5000 to get the 100 shares for the onboard credit.

Yes in deed.... shall watch and see if it goes down a bit [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We paid $38, i would not hold my breath on it coming down. The company is very stable and they have had solid growth almost every year since 911 and 2009. If you really want to purchase try putting in a buy order at a price you are comfortable with, if it reaches your number the order will execute on it's own

We have had stock for years and it has done well. You get the credit for ANY CRUISE that is owed by carnival.....holland american, princess, P and O etc...

Just remember you only get 100 total per cabin, So my husband and I just get 100 per cruise

even if you both each own 5000 shares

It really is a pretty good return

Yes, you can use it wallpaper your bathroom with it as the shareholders of Enron + Worldcom did with theirs :rolleyes:.

Bottom line, if yah gotta ask how to do it, you AIN'T ready! Anyone can buy stock w/o knowing what they're doin, but that's "gambling" not "investing". ALSO, do a search for investing message boards and post your quiry there. Feel free to include these respones + see their reaction. This place is WONDEFUL for cruise advice. For investment advice, NOT SO GOOD!!! :D

Amen to that.

I had $3,000 burning a whole in my pocket about 15 years ago and overheard one of my co-workers talking about a growth stock called "Global Crossing".

Invested all of it in on that one stock and needless to say, it was a bust. Global Crossing went bankrupt, and lost the entire $3,000.

Except for my diversified 401K, I have never invested in the stock market since

Edited by LuckyZ

$100 is for 7-13 day cruises. $50 on 6 days or less, and $250 on 14 days or longer.

With some of the ships that are on the 8/5/8 rotation for itineraries (like the Sunshine out of Port Canaveral) it would be possible to get $150 OBC for 13 days of B2B cruising, when a single 13-day cruise only gives you $100 OBC.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note7 using Tapatalk. Hey, do you smell anything burning?

Not only has my Carnival stock increased in value over 30% since purchased. I receive some dividends..

But the BIG advantage is I take several Carnival cruises a year and enjoy the $50 or $100 credits I receive as a stock holder on every cruise I take with any of Carnival's cruise lines.

Dennis

Jacksonville, Fl

619 days at sea

70 cruises

13 cruise lines

T/P, T/A, Hawaii, Central & South America, New Zealand & South Pacific, Rio/ Amazon, Alaska

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen this question posted so I am hoping there are other Canadians who may benefit from my question.

I am a Canadian who is interested in purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corp. so I too can receive the on board credit while cruising primarily on Princess and HAL ships.

My question is in regards to the value of this investment for Canadians.

Since the shares are classed as foreign equity stocks, the dividends paid would be subject to foreign tax withholding of @ 25%. Combine this with the extra income tax information required to be submitted to Revenue Canada, I would like to hear from other Canadians who own shares and how they feel about the withholding tax. Is this a worth while investment overall and what would the rate of return be on the investment?

Greatly appreciate any information provided.

I certainly cannot answer your question about Canadians owning stock but I can tell you that usually you don't buy stock like this just for the dividends which will be quite small on only 100 shares!

You buy it for stock appreciation.

Talking about "rate of return" cannot be predicted since no one can guarantee how much, if any , the stock will increase.

I certainly cannot answer your question about Canadians owning stock but I can tell you that usually you don't buy stock like this just for the dividends which will be quite small on only 100 shares!

You buy it for stock appreciation.

Talking about "rate of return" cannot be predicted since no one can guarantee how much, if any , the stock will increase.

Depending on how often someone cruises on a Carnival line, one could consider the stock holder OBC to be a dividend as well.

bought a few years ago at $38, 100 shares. We did a B2B last January and received $100 per leg OBC. We are going on another B2B January 7 and getting another $100 a leg OBC. CCL closed over $53 a share today. This is not just "feel good" thing. CCL is a serious and huge company on the NYSE. The stock is up almost 50% in the last 2 years, pays small dividends, but $400 on OBC is a nice bonus.

Easy to set up a account on line where the fees are very low, usually under $10 a trade if you do it on line. Just call one of the major investment companies. I use Fidelity, Vanguard, American Century and Scott Trade. Any of them would be glad to have your business and all are reputable.

Since the shares are classed as foreign equity stocks, the dividends paid would be subject to foreign tax withholding of @ 25%. Combine this with the extra income tax information required to be submitted to Revenue Canada, I would like to hear from other Canadians who own shares and how they feel about the withholding tax. Is this a worth while investment overall and what would the rate of return be on the investment?

I'm not Canadian, but I found this article that might help you. The only thing it didn't include was the possible cost of converting currencies, but in your case if you're cruising on US Dollar itineraries, you may find it easier to keep a US Dollar account:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sec.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/investor-education/taking-the-tax-pain-out-of-us-dividends/article23458617/%3Fservice%3Damp?client=safari

Sent from an iPhone using Tapatalk.

Easy to set up a account on line where the fees are very low, usually under $10 a trade if you do it on line. Just call one of the major investment companies. I use Fidelity, Vanguard, American Century and Scott Trade. Any of them would be glad to have your business and all are reputable.

From my understanding, if you do it inside of an IRA, there is no trading fee.

I haven't seen this question posted so I am hoping there are other Canadians who may benefit from my question.

I am a Canadian who is interested in purchasing 100 shares of Carnival Corp. so I too can receive the on board credit while cruising primarily on Princess and HAL ships.

I have some Canadian experience that might be helpful. I just set up some direct investing accounts with TD that are within my RRSP account. One of those is a US $ account that I'll be purchasing my Carnival stock in. Any dividends will go into that account as "cash" (which I can transfer to other investments within the RRSP) and because it is staying within the RRSP it is my understanding that there are no tax implications. That's probably a very general explanation but my husband is the guru on these things and he would not advise me to do this if we had to pay more taxes on it. We also have our fees waived because the household investment total is above a certain amount.

Might be worth checking with your bank?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Forums mobile app

Since the shares are classed as foreign equity stocks, the dividends paid would

be subject to foreign tax withholding of @ 25%. Combine this with the extra income tax information required to be submitted to Revenue Canada, I would like to hear from other Canadians who own shares and how they feel about the withholding tax. Is this a worth while investment overall and what would the rate of return be on the investment?

Hi

I am not sure if you understand...when you purchase shares in a publically traded company, there is no "rate of return on investment". There is no guarantee of a return at all, and you are risking your entire investment. This is one reason people suggest that you don't seek investment advice on a travel site.

There would be a rate of return if you purchased shares and sold them for a profit, but as I said there is no guarantee of that. That being said, as of now the shares pay a $1.40 yearly dividend which is 2.64% of the current share price. A quarter of the yearly dividend is paid every 3 months.

For income tax purpose you will receive a T3 statement from your broker with a few more numbers that you will need to input into your tax filing. Since there are very few people actually still manually filing their taxes it's as easy as following the program prompts. The amount that is withheld is deducted from what you would owe to the Canadian government. In simple terms, after you purchase shares, if the price goes up that is good, if it falls, that is bad.

For a Canadian buying shares in a U.S.$ purchased stock, you are also making a currency investment. So now if the CDN$ falls vs. US$ that is good and if the CDN$ rises that is bad. So you can see how Canadians who had purchased shares in any US$ shares just a few years ago would have benefited by about 30% just in currency exchange vs. the CDN$. This is part of normal investment concepts about diversification...don't put all your eggs in one basket etc..

So what people are talking about here is how if you own 100 shares and you take a 1 week cruise they will give you a $100. Of course this isn't guaranteed either, but they have been giving it for many years now, and they seem to be willing to continue, since business is good. So understanding that you could lose all your money (very slight risk), would you be willing to invest $5300 (at this time) to receive 2.6% dividend every year, and every time you go on a one week cruise they will throw in an extra $100 (tax free).

Pretty straight forward. Investing is something you need to feel comfortable about, it's all about your future. Get some help, read books.

hope this helps

From my understanding, if you do it inside of an IRA, there is no trading fee.

Something I want to verify. I believe you get the benefit no matter whether you bought the stocks directly through something like etrade or whether you bought them with through your IRA portfolio, correct?

@computer nerd,

You get the benefit for owning the stock.

Carnival Corp does not care how you bought it!

You don't "buy stocks through your IRA".

Your IRA doesn't sell you stock.

It is just like a box in which you are putting the stock.

The company with which you have your IRA may sell you stock . Your question shows that you are not completely understanding what an IRA is and perhaps that is something you should read about a bit more.

@computer nerd,

You get the benefit for owning the stock.

Carnival Corp does not care how you bought it!

You don't "buy stocks through your IRA".

Your IRA doesn't sell you stock.

It is just like a box in which you are putting the stock.

The company with which you have your IRA may sell you stock . Your question shows that you are not completely understanding what an IRA is and perhaps that is something you should read about a bit more.

I think he is saying buy it within an IRA.