How to buy stock in carnival

rockyman935

I cruise with Carnival a lot so it made a great deal of sense to me to buy stock as soon as I learned of the OBC benefit. I bought 101 shares on 8/21/2008 at a cost of $3,610.75. I have reinvested all the dividends so I now own 123.328 shares that are worth $8,237.08 at today's close. A nice return. But I also did a quick analysis of the OBC I received during the last 9 years (about 78 cruises) and my chart tells me it was $7,400. Carnival has been " beery beery good to me". Thank you, Carnival!

This old thread had a fella saying you should not invest with your heart. I don't think that is true at all. Sure charts and statistics are nice but you if you don't like the company, you should pass.

Warren Buffet has often bought companies he likes. See's Candy, Coca-Cola, Dairy Queen, and NetJets are companies he liked and did quite well with them.

After my first cruise I took a position because I liked the company. The shares have gone from 45 to $65 each so I am happy as a clam at high tide in warm water. I found out about the shareowners OBC after I put in the market order, and have made more than the dividend from this benefit.

This old thread had a fella saying you should not invest with your heart. I don't think that is true at all. Sure charts and statistics are nice but you if you don't like the company, you should pass.

Warren Buffet has often bought companies he likes. See's Candy, Coca-Cola, Dairy Queen, and NetJets are companies he liked and did quite well with them.

After my first cruise I took a position because I liked the company. The shares have gone from 45 to $65 each so I am happy as a clam at high tide in warm water. I found out about the shareowners OBC after I put in the market order, and have made more than the dividend from this benefit.

I also invest in companies I like and patronize and I've done very well!

• 11 months later...

Ive been considering buying 100 shares for the on board credit.

The last 11 months I’ve taken 8 carnival cruises which would have netted me $800 in OBC. In the next 5 months I have already booked 6 more carnival cruises where I could receive $600 in OBC if I was a shareholder. 

Can someone explain how buying shares would be a bad investment for a frequent cruiser? I realize a $6 drop per share would negate my savings, but at the same time, a $6 rise would would net me $600 plus the $600 OBC.

On 12/5/2012 at 8:43 AM, CRocks said:

Yes, you can use it wallpaper your bathroom with it as the shareholders of Enron + Worldcom did with theirs :rolleyes:.

Bottom line, if yah gotta ask how to do it, you AIN'T ready! Anyone can buy stock w/o knowing what they're doin, but that's "gambling" not "investing". ALSO, do a search for investing message boards and post your quiry there. Feel free to include these respones + see their reaction. This place is WONDEFUL for cruise advice. For investment advice, NOT SO GOOD!!! 😄

I just bought my 100 shares a few weeks ago, but it doesn't bother me that it has dropped $6 a share since I bought it.  It will rebound and I already have gotten $350 in OBC for my next 4 cruises booked.  We sail 2-4 times a year, so the dividend and OBC is fine with me.

And I just love how this thread started 6 years ago with this guy bad mouthing the Carnival stock.  Maybe he can steam the shares off his bathroom wall.

Edited by HawkIVette

2 hours ago, JaiJae said:

Never thought about buying shares but I would be interested in investing in Carnival since I love to cruise. How do you go about buying or investing? 

There are several ways to go about buying stock.  Do you have an IRA or retirement account?  I had my wifes Investment Company that holds my wifes retirement money just buy 100 shares and hold it.

Or you can sign up online with Scottrade or another brokerage account.

I have bought individual stocks through an online company called Stockpile.  Order as much $$$ of a stock for just 99 cents per trade. 

4 hours ago, JaiJae said:

Never thought about buying shares but I would be interested in investing in Carnival since I love to cruise. How do you go about buying or investing? 

i use a broker service called RobinHood to purchase stocks

On 12/5/2012 at 8:42 AM, fyree39 said:

Mutual funds are taxed annually, unlike individual stocks. My dad, Mr. Smart Investor, advised me to get out of mutual funds and into individual stocks. I started with $500 of Ford, sold that at a quite remarkable profit, and have enjoyed dabbling ever since. My stocks are not my retirement fund.

OP, the price of Carnival stock should go down in the winter season and is a good time to buy. I purchased mine in 3 different transactions over the course of a year until I had the required 100 shares. So far I've received 3 dividend checks of $25 each and OBC of $100. I very much enjoy the benefits of my CCL stock and hope you do too. 🙂

We bought Carnival stock a few years ago in out retirement 401k account. That way, you get the $100 on board credit for each 7 day cruise (tax free),  your dividends, and profits are not taxed until you sell the stock and withdraw the money from your 401k after retirement. It is money you are not going to use until after retirement so this is a good way to do it.

• 3 months later...
On 12/5/2012 at 6:15 PM, guxu said:

I am sure OP just wants to buy 100 shares of CCL and enjoy the shareholder's benefit. At today's price, 100 shares of CCL is only $3.7k. And you call it $$$$$$$$$$ and worth some investment lectures?

If you buy 100 shares today, the dividend rate based on the price YOU paid is about 2.7%, which is much better than normal savings account insterest rate. For people who bought CCL just for OBC, they will hold the stock for long time. As long as they do not sell, they will not make or loss money no matter what the market price is. They will enjoy dividend and OBCs (on Carnival, Princess, Costa and more). The risk is very slim unless you believe Carnival Corp will go under in near future.

Still true today

The shareholder's benefit is great for frequent cruisers.  Easiest way to get to 100 shares, is with your 401k or IRA account.  We've owned Carnival stock for about 12 years now.  In addition to the OBC, it pays $2.00/year in Dividends.  We've probably gotten close to $1500 in OBC with all of our cruises.  Since Carnival also owns HAL and Princess (plus others), you get the same benefits on their ships.  We have all of our retirement accounts with Fidelity, and I absolutely love them.  Only charge $4.95/transaction.  Their customer service is available by phone 24/7.  I've never had a rude person on the phone or in our local office.  We also own 100 shares of Royal Caribbean stock.  We've nearly doubled our investment with RCL in the past 3 years, plus a nice dividend.

Their Board renews this benefit on an annual basis, but they've been doing it for a LONG time.  I think there would be a revolt if they ever discontinued this program.  

$50 OBC on cruises 6 days or less

$100 OBC on cruises 7 to 13 days

$250 OBC on cruises 14 or more days

• 11 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 6:37 PM, Retired_to_Cruise said:

We bought Carnival stock a few years ago in out retirement 401k account. That way, you get the $100 on board credit for each 7 day cruise (tax free), 

I thought the Carnival Share holder benefit had to be SHARES OWNED by the "person" on the cruise ticket.

The 401k account is not going on the cruise nor is it buying the ticket.

Can a investment trust or other entity buy the shares instead of a person and still get Shareholder OBC.

2 hours ago, amatuercruiser said:

Are people going to Hang onto their stock In Carnival in light of the Corona Virus?

Buy Low sell High!

I am hanging on. Pays a nice dividend and get a $100 for each cruise..

Edited by thesmiths
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, thesmiths said:

I am hanging on. Pays a nice dividend and get a $100 for each cruise..

I am of two minds. I am yet to buy any Carnival stock but as the Australian dollar has hit 67cents against US I am worried about currency fluctuations if the Aus $ appreciates after the Corona virus.

Second Carnival, has so Many ships in what I think will be a glutted future market. Virgin 3 New ships plus a string of 6000 plus passenger cruise ships coming  on line, May flood the cruise market.

I intend to take 4 or 5 cruises a year so the $250 14 day cruise OBC on Carnival is worth having..the share return on investment  I am not so sure about.

The credit is for booked or future bookings. You just have to have enough time to submit the form for credit before the cruise. I think they recommend at least 3 weeks (I have gotten my credit up to 9 months in advance). the form says the booking must be made by 2/28/20 for sailings through July 2020, but I have never seen or heard of anyone with issues with that February date.

I actually use a little day trade account I have to buy the stock when I have a cruise a few months out, buy it low, and try and sell it a tiny higher, and take the OBC as my true gain on the trade (this is a tax free gain). I don't think I would keep the stock for a long term investment, but it is very attractively priced currently. the lower price of CCL stock makes the benefit a lot easier to get than the RCL benefit (same number of shares, required, over twice the trading price). FX concerns would complicate it. but maybe you are in a financial situation were putting roughly $4,500 into it and letting it sit, is more like a dividend (cash and OBC) machine, and you dont care about the return on the stock price.

They have to renew the credit program every year, so I think right now you can only get OBC for cruises through July 2020. they will probably renew it in May/June for another year

My DW and I both own 100+ shares in our Roth IRAs.  At retirement, we are both more interested in income than in overall asset growth.  The OBC is simply a "discount" on our cruise habit.  CCL and many other issues with steady dividends produce the income we need to live on.  We enjoy the product, and assume many others do as well.  

Why both of us?  DW is taking a "girl's cruise" in March.  She couldn't use my credit (shares in my Roth IRA), so we added 100 shares to her IRA.

As long as the dividend is secure and the OBC continues, we will be CCL shareholders.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, skiorcruise said:

My DW and I both own 100+ shares in our Roth IRAs.  At retirement, we are both more interested in income than in overall asset growth.  .....

As long as the dividend is secure and the OBC continues, we will be CCL shareholders.

As a CCL share holder, How do you feel the prospects for CCL future growth and dividend yield in light of the current Virus issues on the cruise industry?