Our Fantastical Journey: Carnival Fantasy Review & PICS/December 8th, 2012 sailing

All4fun&fun4all

I read this review in Jan and it led me to decide to book our cruise for 4/6 on Fantasy. I just reread it because we are making our final preparations for the trip! Even with the problems that are haunting Carnival, we are soooo excited and are just praying our trip is fantastic!

One question you may have an answer to is did you find a spot to sit in the sun on at sea days that was less windy?

I was also glad to reread and notice that you went to Junkanoo Beach. We plan to take three 16 yos there just so we can relax on the beach and not have the $ or schedule of an excursion. I have read so many mixed reviews but your pictures look like just what we are expecting and wanting! Thanks for all the detail and pictures!

I read this review in Jan and it led me to decide to book our cruise for 4/6 on Fantasy. I just reread it because we are making our final preparations for the trip! Even with the problems that are haunting Carnival, we are soooo excited and are just praying our trip is fantastic!

One question you may have an answer to is did you find a spot to sit in the sun on at sea days that was less windy?

I was also glad to reread and notice that you went to Junkanoo Beach. We plan to take three 16 yos there just so we can relax on the beach and not have the $ or schedule of an excursion. I have read so many mixed reviews but your pictures look like just what we are expecting and wanting! Thanks for all the detail and pictures!

Thanks for reading! I have a cruise booked in October on Fascination and while I am a bit unnerved by all the stuff going on with these ships I wouldnt even think to cancel.

I am not sure about a spot to sit in the sun since I stopped really laying out in the sun. I am typically the girl under a shade tree with sunscreen slathered on. But as I recall it is less windy on lido on a lounger since it sits down low. Maybe in the area of the Water works too since it is at the back of the ship.

Loved Junkanoo Beach. CAnt beat the cost (FREE) and I plan on going back there in October! Have fun on your cruise!

Thanks for reading! I have a cruise booked in October on Fascination and while I am a bit unnerved by all the stuff going on with these ships I wouldnt even think to cancel.

I am not sure about a spot to sit in the sun since I stopped really laying out in the sun. I am typically the girl under a shade tree with sunscreen slathered on. But as I recall it is less windy on lido on a lounger since it sits down low. Maybe in the area of the Water works too since it is at the back of the ship.

Loved Junkanoo Beach. CAnt beat the cost (FREE) and I plan on going back there in October! Have fun on your cruise!

Outstanding! Now I am really excited for Junkanoo Beach!! Thanks!

I am excited for Junkanoo Beach too but I have over 200 days to wait. :(

One more question for you. We have 5 people in our cabin (yikes)! Me, my two 16 yos, my neigherbor and her 16 yo. We have a trundle bed. I am DEFINITELY stealing your idea for the over the door shoe rack. I'm assuming there is enough space to have 2, right? Also, I was planning on trying to back in duffle bags so we can just toss them under the bed and not be tripping over suitcases. However, one of the 16 yos, who of course knows everything, may have a point. Should they take normal rolling bags and just keep their clothes in them and line them up against the wall or is there enough space in the closet? Were there hangers?

Just trying to think of the best ways to be organized. It will be tough enough to remain unirritated with three 16 yos in our room! BUT we love them and we will have a blast.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

One more question for you. We have 5 people in our cabin (yikes)! Me, my two 16 yos, my neigherbor and her 16 yo. We have a trundle bed.

We have had one of those trundle beds before. Quite comfy but best for a short person. I have stayed with 4 in a cabin before and it can be quite hectic especially around the time everyone is getting ready for dinner.

I am DEFINITELY stealing your idea for the over the door shoe rack. I'm assuming there is enough space to have 2, right?

There are plenty of closet doors to hang those shoe racks so two is perfect for such a large crowd. Maybe hang one in the bathroom side of the bathroom door.

Also, I was planning on trying to back in duffle bags so we can just toss them under the bed and not be tripping over suitcases. However, one of the 16 yos, who of course knows everything, may have a point. Should they take normal rolling bags and just keep their clothes in them and line them up against the wall or is there enough space in the closet? Were there hangers?

I am weird about putting anything under beds when travelling. After a terrible time with bedbugs in my home (not from a cruise) I just dont trust putting anything under the beds just in case. Maybe have the kids bring varied sizes of suitcase so that they can "nest" and be put in the closet under the hanging clothes. There are a few hangers but if I were you....I would bring some just in case. I have heard that stewards will bring you some if you ask but I dont know this for sure.

Just trying to think of the best ways to be organized. It will be tough enough to remain unirritated with three 16 yos in our room! BUT we love them and we will have a blast.

Any other suggestions?

Another suggestion I have heard is to utilize the gym showers while others are using the cabin showers to get ready. That way everyone is all spread out and not underfoot. Maybe you and neighbor can use the gym showers and dressing area and let the teens have their time in the cabin to get spruced up. Girls? Or boys?

Thanks!!

Answers are above in PURPLE!! :)

Answers are above in PURPLE!! :)

We have 2 girls and 1 boy going so we'll just split up. I love the gym shower idea! Also, YIKES!!!! You just freaked me out about the bedbugs! I'm glad you said something because as it will probably be fine....but...better to be safe!

Thanks again for being so fantastic. I went back today and read one of your other posts when you went to Freeport. So helpful!!

We have 2 girls and 1 boy going so we'll just split up. I love the gym shower idea! Also, YIKES!!!! You just freaked me out about the bedbugs! I'm glad you said something because as it will probably be fine....but...better to be safe!

Thanks again for being so fantastic. I went back today and read one of your other posts when you went to Freeport. So helpful!!

I have never had an instance of bedbugs from a cruise or a hotel but my kid brought them from another house and it took me a year to get rid of them and to this day I still flip and inspect all the mattresses and boxsprings every weekend just to make sure they are still gone. I am a super clean freak and it was probably the most depressing and daunting thing I have ever had to do. It has now made me so paranoid that one of the first things I do in a hotel/cruise/friend's house for an overnight stay is check for them. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I read your review back in early February and it was one of the reasons we chose the Fantasy. We are so looking forward to it. Whenever your review pops back up I read the new posts. I work at a hospital and we are very diligent in treating areas that may be affected. Could you tell me all the places to check in the cabin? Thanks!

Nancy, this has nothing to do with your review (which I loved), but it made me think of you -- http://www.kotulas.com/deals/medium-winerack-the-advantages-are-obvious. Might remedy the water bottle fiasco!

Am actually thinking of trying this! What a neat website!

I read your review back in early February and it was one of the reasons we chose the Fantasy. We are so looking forward to it. Whenever your review pops back up I read the new posts. I work at a hospital and we are very diligent in treating areas that may be affected. Could you tell me all the places to check in the cabin? Thanks!

To check for bedbugs? Mainly I just check the mattresses especially in the areas along the head of the bed and on the underside because those little buggers dont really hang out on the topside of the mattress. Also look for black specks which would be their droppings.

Thanks for continuing to read!

• 4 weeks later...

Nancy,

THANK YOU! I cannot thank you enough for your reviews, pictures, hotel research, and answers. We are sailing on the Fantasy June 29th. I was a little apprehensive about Carnival as I have not sailed with them in more than 10 years, but really wanted the convenience of the Charleston port. I read every page of your reviews and finally booked! I now am researching hotels and low and behold found your pictures and advice on those threads too! Just wanted to drop a note to you to thank you for the amount of time you put in to helping us planners out there. We are so excited about our upcoming cruise and doing a pre-cruise vacation in Charleston. We vacation in Charleston at least once per year, so combining that plus a cruise is gonna make for a great time!!!

I can't believe I haven't read this review yet!

And on the first page are pictures of Tim the Magician! No one lately seems to have seen him. I really grew rather fond of him by the end of 12 nights. DD & her hubby got along with him really well.

Hope he's on the ship Friday. I plan on picking on him relentlessly. :p

OK, back to reading!

Nancy,

THANK YOU! I cannot thank you enough for your reviews, pictures, hotel research, and answers. We are sailing on the Fantasy June 29th. I was a little apprehensive about Carnival as I have not sailed with them in more than 10 years, but really wanted the convenience of the Charleston port. I read every page of your reviews and finally booked! I now am researching hotels and low and behold found your pictures and advice on those threads too! Just wanted to drop a note to you to thank you for the amount of time you put in to helping us planners out there. We are so excited about our upcoming cruise and doing a pre-cruise vacation in Charleston. We vacation in Charleston at least once per year, so combining that plus a cruise is gonna make for a great time!!!

Thank you for reading! I really enjoy helping people out. :D

I can't believe I haven't read this review yet!

And on the first page are pictures of Tim the Magician! No one lately seems to have seen him. I really grew rather fond of him by the end of 12 nights. DD & her hubby got along with him really well.

Hope he's on the ship Friday. I plan on picking on him relentlessly. :p

OK, back to reading!

Tim the Magician was fascinating. I was truly dumbfounded!

Seriously....how did you miss this review? :p

I really don't know! I knew you were sailing the 7-night shortly after I got back. I must've been so bummed because we missed HMC that I didn't want to read about anyone else being there. :(

And then it was tax season. And suddenly, I'm sailing again! Just wait until you're old like me and you'll see how the time flies! :p

Hope we can get together for a drink when I get back. Maybe head to Fleet Landing for some shrimp and grits and watch her sail away without us.

I really don't know! I knew you were sailing the 7-night shortly after I got back. I must've been so bummed because we missed HMC that I didn't want to read about anyone else being there. :(

And then it was tax season. And suddenly, I'm sailing again! Just wait until you're old like me and you'll see how the time flies! :p

Hope we can get together for a drink when I get back. Maybe head to Fleet Landing for some shrimp and grits and watch her sail away without us.

I totally would have been saddened if we had missed HMC. Or GT for that matter. They really need to lengthen the amount of time in GT.

I wont be able to watch sailaway unfortunately since I work until 5pm but will gladly meet you for a drink once I escape my desk. Have fun tomorrow!

• 4 weeks later...
It was a blast. We are doing it again in November hope some of you all are on this one as well

Have you seen yourself in any pics? My next sailing is on Fascination for Halloween!

Love these review threads you've typed up!!!! They've helped me in planning my first cruise a ton!

Wish I you would share your latest successful "smuggling technique" though! Haha

I am glad you enjoyed our journey. I wish I could share our smuggling techniques but Carnival reads these boards. However, I can say to check out YouTube videos. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
...We heard that Music Degree was playing at Cat's Lounge so we went to watch them play a bit.

Hi All4fun&fun4all! Thank you so much posting your review!!!! My DH and I are going on the Fantasy this December for a B2B, and then I am also planning a small group (bellydance) cruise on it for December of 2014, and they have assigned us Cat's Lounge for our dance classes. I'm actually wondering how many people could comfortably fit on the dance floor with space to take lessons (not squished shoulder to shoulder like sardines :D)? Or if you have any pictures of the dance floor with a few people on it (I've been looking to see if I can judge size relatively by that). Also, if the chairs were moved out of the way, do you think someone could safely stand in between the bolted down tables, or do you think that might be a safety risk for tripping? :p [i'm actually hoping for about 500-750 sq ft of open space). :)

Any thoughts on the lounge that you may have, I'd love to hear. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! :D

--SC

Hi All4fun&fun4all! Thank you so much posting your review!!!! My DH and I are going on the Fantasy this December for a B2B, and then I am also planning a small group (bellydance) cruise on it for December of 2014, and they have assigned us Cat's Lounge for our dance classes. I'm actually wondering how many people could comfortably fit on the dance floor with space to take lessons (not squished shoulder to shoulder like sardines :D)? Or if you have any pictures of the dance floor with a few people on it (I've been looking to see if I can judge size relatively by that). Also, if the chairs were moved out of the way, do you think someone could safely stand in between the bolted down tables, or do you think that might be a safety risk for tripping? :p [i'm actually hoping for about 500-750 sq ft of open space). :)

Any thoughts on the lounge that you may have, I'd love to hear. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!! :D

--SC

OOOOO!!! Bellydancing! Something I have wanted to try. I have been doing pole dance classes for fitness for a few years and it is quite a workout. I have heard Bellydancing is quite a workout as well!

I have pictures of Cat's Lounge in my March 2012 review (link below) with some folks on the dance floor and I think I have some pics in my June 2010 review (link below) with it empty. I would copy the photos and paste here but work has my picture ability stifled. :mad:

Depending on the number of folks that you have, it should be a decent sized room. How many people will be participating?