Our Fantastical Journey: Carnival Fantasy Review & PICS/December 8th, 2012 sailing

All4fun&fun4all

Thanks, the Noisy Oyster looks right up our alley (menu looks great!). No fancy pants dining for us when I am paying for 4! :)

Kim

I hear ya! We do EVERYTHING on a budget. And, since you are cruising in April, it will be warm enough that they should have the open air windows up to the street. Really cool vibe.

I ordered one set per payday up until the cruise also. They really cut down on that final bill at the end. (We also pre-paid our tips before we sailed but that's another story altogether). There is a small amount of savings by buying the drink coupons simply because they add the normal 15% gratuity to the cost after the coupon has been deducted. I know...that seems clear as mud right? Let me break it down a bit. I am really horrible with mathematics but I will try.

Here is the scenario. Say you wanted to buy at Twilight Zone and the cost for a Twilight Zone is let's say $7.00. Here are the cost breakdowns

Without coupon: $7.00 + 15% gratuity= $8.05

With coupon: $7.00-$5.75= $1.25 + 15% gratuity= $1.44

When we first arrived in our cabin there were slips of paper stating that we had a gift that we will receive in the dining room that night at dinner. When you give the hostess your cabin number at dinner, someone will bring your drink coupons to you a few moments after you get seated.

When you order your drinks with them you will simply tell the bartender what you want and give him the drink coupon at that point along with your sail and sign card.

I actually have 3 leftover from our last sailing and you are still able to use them for future sailings.

Thank you for the info. And once again thank you for the great reviews & pics.

Nancy - feel like I know you since I just spent the last 3 hours reading your review. Ended up needing to get a notepad to jot down stuff....things to eat, drink, places to go in Nassau. Going on Breeze in just under 4 weeks and was interested in reading about going to Junkanoo. Wondering how far your walk was to Twin Brothers?

Thank you for not just posting pics of food, but commenting on how you like it. I had already decided to try the pumpkin soup, had thought about the cinnamon pumpkin, squash pot pie (still not quite sure), and the chatuebriand (don't know how to spell that!).

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH for all the time it must have taken to write this. I realized when you mentioned your house fire, that I read your first review also.

Could you help me out so I don't have to find it somewhere in the first 5-6 pages of posts --- what was the blue drink you had in the hurricane glass...a Twister something perhaps? Saw it BEFORE I had my notebook...haha

Also, loved to have seen you in HMC....stopped there our last cruise...also loved just looking out at the ship...we were on Westerdam, so it was nice to see it again in Grand Turk....we are going there too, for our first time. Love seeing your detailed photos of how to get to Jack's Shack.

ps,. I'm a cruise critic addict/junkie too

Edited by 2 cruzen

Oh bummer....maybe I will get to cruise with you one of these days!

So give me some suggestions for great places to eat seafood in Charleston. We are driving down day before and staying at Residence Inn on Ripley Point Drive. DS's girfriend is a vegetarian but she will eat seafood. So need some good suggestions if you don't mind...thanks!!!

Kim

My DH and I were down in Charleston last April and had dinner with friends at The Noisy Oyster http://www.noisyoysterseafood.com/ and it was fantastic a little pricey but well worth it. :)

Thank you for the info. And once again thank you for the great reviews & pics.

You are welcome. I cant wait to have another adventure to write about. I started a blog awhile back but had what I call "commitment issues" and stopped writing it. Now that I have a new camera, I may just start writing again.

Nancy - feel like I know you since I just spent the last 3 hours reading your review. Ended up needing to get a notepad to jot down stuff....things to eat, drink, places to go in Nassau. Going on Breeze in just under 4 weeks and was interested in reading about going to Junkanoo. Wondering how far your walk was to Twin Brothers?

Awwww thanks! You sound just like me with the notepad and jotting down things. I still do this with other reviews that I read.

Our walk to Twin Brothers was about 25 minutes or so. As we walked we took pictures so you could probably do it in about 20 minutes or so. We really enjoyed the walk and you cant beat the views.

Thank you for not just posting pics of food, but commenting on how you like it. I had already decided to try the pumpkin soup, had thought about the cinnamon pumpkin, squash pot pie (still not quite sure), and the chatuebriand (don't know how to spell that!).

I was determined this time around to try some different items than I had previously. Dont forget, you can order multiple entrees so, if you get the squash pot pie thingie and you dont like it, you have something else to eat regardless. Just make sure you order both entrees at the same time. It makes it easier on your server. Also, sometimes we have been known to each order 1 entree for each of us and then 1 entree to share between us so we dont feel we are wasting food. The chateaubriand was sooooo tender. I wish I had some right now.

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH for all the time it must have taken to write this. I realized when you mentioned your house fire, that I read your first review also.

It takes time to write it out but I really enjoy going back and reading about our adventures. I love that there is a written account of our vacations.

The 2 year anniversary of the house fire happened just yesterday. I am still so amazed that I have the Andrew alive and well and cruising right by my side.

Could you help me out so I don't have to find it somewhere in the first 5-6 pages of posts --- what was the blue drink you had in the hurricane glass...a Twister something perhaps? Saw it BEFORE I had my notebook...haha

Ohhhh, that blue drink is my absolute favorite....the Twilight Zone. I want one of those right now too. :p

Also, loved to have seen you in HMC....stopped there our last cruise...also loved just looking out at the ship...we were on Westerdam, so it was nice to see it again in Grand Turk....we are going there too, for our first time. Love seeing your detailed photos of how to get to Jack's Shack.

Janet was so sweet at Jack's shack and you just cant beat watching Topher the dog dig and dig and dig. He was still digging when we left.

Dont forget to check out Local Village too.

ps,. I'm a cruise critic addict/junkie too

Answers all above in purple. I am such a cruise critic addict/junkie that I cant stay off the boards even when I dont have a cruise booked. My friends all think I am just NUTS!

Could you tell me what is in a Twilight zone? Tried to find it on the bar menu and didn't see it and then the other link I tried was blocked, imagine that, can't look up drink recipes while on my lunch break at school. :rolleyes:

I found this:

"Twilight Zone"

1oz Bacardi Light Rum

1/2oz Melon Liqueur

1 1/2oz coconut cream

5oz crushed ice

float of Blue Curaco

Blend all ingredients except Blue Curaco unti smooth, then float Blue Curaco over the top

From this thread on Carnival's site:

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/forums/t/39446.aspx

I have enjoyed reading all of your reviews, loved the pictures, and living vicariously through all of your fun times. :) I will be cruising on the Fantasy 3/5/13 with my 21 year-old daughter and her 20 year-old college roommate. Because the roommate isn't 21 yet, they needed someone over 25 to book with them. I sacrificially agreed to go. ;) Since I'm just a tag-along, I plan to let them do their own thing while I do mine. I'm sure I'll make some new friends on the ship, but thought it would be cool to connect with other ladies beforehand. However, I am new to Cruise Critic and wondered how would I go about doing that on here. There's only a few people who have posted on the roll call so far. Am I missing something? Also, if you have any advice for us or just for the girls while on the ship or in Freeport and Nassau, let me know. Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for writing the review. I had planned on using my treadmill and weights this morning, but nooo.... found your review instead! Glad I did. I am getting so excited to go on my own cruise in another month that I am REALLY enjoying reading reviews now.

I also love the "Veggie pot pie". I get that once every cruise. I think it is delish!

I haven't tried the twilight zone drink yet, will have to make it a point. I do love the Miami vice.

Glad you had such a great time and hopefully you will get to do it again soon too. Happy Cruising :D

I have enjoyed reading all of your reviews, loved the pictures, and living vicariously through all of your fun times. :)

Thank you! We just enjoy cruising so much!

I will be cruising on the Fantasy 3/5/13 with my 21 year-old daughter and her 20 year-old college roommate. Because the roommate isn't 21 yet, they needed someone over 25 to book with them. I sacrificially agreed to go. ;)

Oh the hardship! I cant believe they are twisting your arm and making you go on this cruise! HAHAHA!!!

Since I'm just a tag-along, I plan to let them do their own thing while I do mine. I'm sure I'll make some new friends on the ship, but thought it would be cool to connect with other ladies beforehand. However, I am new to Cruise Critic and wondered how would I go about doing that on here. There's only a few people who have posted on the roll call so far. Am I missing something?

We had a really active roll call on our sailing so we "met" tons of people before we sailed. There were about 75 screen names represented on ours. There were also 2 "social networking" groups that I joined up with but Cruise Critic doesnt like to promote those types of side groups. I think somewhere along the line there was a huge bru-ha-ha in the past where some folks started "in fighting" within the CC roll call and the social networking group which spilled over into the actual cruise itself. Oh drama! LOL. So, maybe check on the social networking site for your sailing date...if you have an account. If not, perhaps your daughter has an account and can look to see if there is a group already out there. Maybe check in the community on Carnival's page too! They have forums there as well.

Also, if you have any advice for us or just for the girls while on the ship or in Freeport and Nassau, let me know.

On our next sailing to Freeport we plan on going to Paradise Cove for some snorkeling. Freeport itself is really industrial right at the pier so it's best to travel somewhere else away from the immediate area. The folks at Paradise Cove seem to have the best deal. Only $35.00 for snorkeling and that includes the transportation.

http://www.deadmansreef.com/

Other than that, you can always take a shuttle to Our Lucaya and have a beach day. $5.00 each way per person.

For Nassau we really enjoyed Fish Fry (Arawak Cay) and since we like to cruise on a budget we would probably just go to Junkanoo Beach again since it is so close. I really want to try a tour next time we go so we can learn more history of the place since we love it so much. Maybe a carriage tour!

Thanks in advance for your help!

You are very welcome! Answers above in PURPLE! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you for writing the review. I had planned on using my treadmill and weights this morning, but nooo.... found your review instead! Glad I did. I am getting so excited to go on my own cruise in another month that I am REALLY enjoying reading reviews now.

I also love the "Veggie pot pie". I get that once every cruise. I think it is delish!

I haven't tried the twilight zone drink yet, will have to make it a point. I do love the Miami vice.

Glad you had such a great time and hopefully you will get to do it again soon too. Happy Cruising :D

If you like the Miami Vice you will love the Twilight Zone. Another drink I love is the Mango Swirl. Try that one too!

Sorry I pulled you away from the dreadmill....I need to hop on one myself! I want to try to be in a bikini by the time we sail again. :eek:

I love reading reviews too. I read reviews for ships I know I will never ever sail on. I love reading about how other people enjoy their time on the ship and in ports. I get lots of ideas that way!

Hi Nancy!

This is my first post and I hope i'm doing it the right way. I have been reading your reviews since 9:00 this morning! Thank you so much for being so detailed and hilarious! We are planning to take our first cruise on the Fantasy in September 2013. We have never been on a cruise before. Do you think that is a good time to visit? We are planning to take our 13 year old for his birthday. We hope there are plenty of things for him to do on his own so we can do our own thing. We plan to let him stay in the room for a bit by himself while we are out "playing". Do you think room service would give him a problem ordering something for himself? Is the room service food extra or included? I know alcohol isn't included in the price but what else isn't? Are most activities free? Can you order as much as you'd like in the MDR? Does it have to be all at once? When looking to book on the carnival site there is the option to pre pay the gradtuity. Does this option take care of it for the whole trip or will there be more added to the final bill by the end? Sorry for so many questions but you seem to know alot about the fantasy!

We really enjoy Fleet Landing restaurant and we especially love it because it is right next to the cruise terminal. It is also walking distance to the City Market and Waterfront Park. You can walk down to the end of the pier and swing on the swings and take a few pics in front of the Pineapple Fountain.

http://www.fleetlanding.net/

The Noisy Oyster is pretty tasty too which is right on the City Market.

http://www.noisyoysterseafood.com/

If you are looking for more upscale "fancy pants" dining...I would go to Hank's Seafood.

http://hanksseafoodrestaurant.com/

Or Magnolia's

http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/magnoliasHome.asp?catID=20426

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Also upscale in terms of food but casual atmosphere is SNOB "Slightly North of Broad" on East Bay about a block from Market. Great food!

Hi Nancy!

This is my first post and I hope i'm doing it the right way. I have been reading your reviews since 9:00 this morning! Thank you so much for being so detailed and hilarious! We are planning to take our first cruise on the Fantasy in September 2013. We have never been on a cruise before. Do you think that is a good time to visit? We are planning to take our 13 year old for his birthday. We hope there are plenty of things for him to do on his own so we can do our own thing. We plan to let him stay in the room for a bit by himself while we are out "playing". Do you think room service would give him a problem ordering something for himself? Is the room service food extra or included? I know alcohol isn't included in the price but what else isn't? Are most activities free? Can you order as much as you'd like in the MDR? Does it have to be all at once? When looking to book on the carnival site there is the option to pre pay the gradtuity. Does this option take care of it for the whole trip or will there be more added to the final bill by the end? Sorry for so many questions but you seem to know alot about the fantasy!

Room service is included but tip roughly 1 to 2 dollars or more if lots of items. Your son should be able to order by himself.

Do try and insist he go to Camp Carnival the first night! Most kids do make friends for the duration, even the introverts!

You can order as much as you want in the dining room but it should be all at once as that is how dishes are collected from the kitchen.

Prepaid gratuities cover all but special services such as room service and camp carnival staff. We often tip extra but that is personal and optional.

Most activities are free. Not bingo of course or shore excursions or build a bear. Some gym classes are extra. Fees are shown with a + in the daily schedule.

Hope this helps.

Edited by TrinaLC

Hi Nancy!

This is my first post and I hope i'm doing it the right way. I have been reading your reviews since 9:00 this morning! Thank you so much for being so detailed and hilarious!

Thank you for reading and enjoying our hilarious-ness! :D

We are planning to take our first cruise on the Fantasy in September 2013. We have never been on a cruise before. Do you think that is a good time to visit?

September should be quite comfortable. We cruised in 2007 during September and the weather was lovely. September in Charleston is just about perfect.

We are planning to take our 13 year old for his birthday. We hope there are plenty of things for him to do on his own so we can do our own thing. We plan to let him stay in the room for a bit by himself while we are out "playing". Do you think room service would give him a problem ordering something for himself? Is the room service food extra or included?

There is Camp Carnival for him and he can meet tons of kids his age. I have heard of many kids making life long friendships in camp! Some people have said that they almost dont see their kids because they enjoy hanging with the other kids so much. Just make sure you put into place some guidelines like not allowing him to go to other kids cabins and staying in groups. Room service should accomidate him ordering food and it is free of charge. Make sure he doesnt order crazy amounts of food and that he tips the person who brings the food a couple of dollars.

I know alcohol isn't included in the price but what else isn't?

This link should be super helpful for you: http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/first_time_included.htm

Are most activities free? Can you order as much as you'd like in the MDR? Does it have to be all at once?

You can order whatever you want! Sometimes it is hard to make a decision between all the choices. When you place your order, you order everything at once except dessert. That menu comes after your entree has been cleared.

Most activities are free and there will be a marking in your Fun Times if there is a charge for an activity

When looking to book on the carnival site there is the option to pre pay the gradtuity. Does this option take care of it for the whole trip or will there be more added to the final bill by the end?

We pre-pay the gratuity ahead of time and once you do that, then it is all taken care of. Nothing more will be added. It is $11.50 per person, per day. If you have a spectacular room steward or bartender then feel free to tip more. We gave $10.00 to our favorite lido waitress because she knew us by name on day 1 and remembered exactly what we drank.

Sorry for so many questions but you seem to know alot about the fantasy!

No worries! I enjoy answering the questions. It makes me smile! Sorry it took me so long to respond. The motor blew in my car and I have been scrambling for rides to and from work and work has been CRAYZAY!!!

Answers in purple for youuuuu!

Also upscale in terms of food but casual atmosphere is SNOB "Slightly North of Broad" on East Bay about a block from Market. Great food!

I havent eaten at SNOB but I worked very close when our office was downtown and know of many folks that have eaten there with positive reviews!

Room service is included but tip roughly 1 to 2 dollars or more if lots of items. Your son should be able to order by himself.

Do try and insist he go to Camp Carnival the first night! Most kids do make friends for the duration, even the introverts!

You can order as much as you want in the dining room but it should be all at once as that is how dishes are collected from the kitchen.

Prepaid gratuities cover all but special services such as room service and camp carnival staff. We often tip extra but that is personal and optional.

Most activities are free. Not bingo of course or shore excursions or build a bear. Some gym classes are extra. Fees are shown with a + in the daily schedule.

Hope this helps.

Exactly! Thanks for answering Trina. I have been up to my elbows in car troubles and havent looked on CC in awhile!

Loved your review and pics!

Thank you for reading and enjoying :)

Hi Nancy do the men have to wear a suit jacket for formal night? By the way you guys looked great loved your dress.

No need to wear a suit jacket for formal night. The Andrew forgot his suit and dress shoes on our 2010 cruise. He went to dinner on formal night in khaki pants, a button down short sleeved shirt and tennis shoes. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliment. That dress has served me well for many occasions.

Then the balloon guy came around. I really wanted a balloon hat but I am TERRIFIED of balloons. Yes, you read that right. I am TERRIFIED of them.

673_zpsf4e55bb6.jpg

HA! Look at the terror on my face

675_zpsee2db7a1.jpg

But in the end, I got a pretty unique hat

678_zpseb5a88e3.jpg

I can't believe I'm just now getting around to finishing reading this!

You're not the only one with that strange phobia. I HATE BALLOONS TOO!!!! :o Have for many, many years. If you want to torture me, show up at my doorstep with a dozen balloons. My kids will NEVER have balloons at their birthday parties. :eek:

I loved the unwedding, the Nassau foolishness, and the making it rain comment. LOL

Looks like you and The Andrew had another fun filled vacation!

I can't believe I'm just now getting around to finishing reading this!

You're not the only one with that strange phobia. I HATE BALLOONS TOO!!!! :o Have for many, many years. If you want to torture me, show up at my doorstep with a dozen balloons. My kids will NEVER have balloons at their birthday parties. :eek:

I loved the unwedding, the Nassau foolishness, and the making it rain comment. LOL

Looks like you and The Andrew had another fun filled vacation!

We sure did! I didnt mention it over on my Facebook page because of some family issues so was hoping you guys would find your way over here!

Not only do I hate balloons....I hate clowns as well. Clown holding balloons = instant coma.

• 3 weeks later...