Our Fantastical Journey: Carnival Fantasy Review & PICS/December 8th, 2012 sailing

All4fun&fun4all

The port of Charleston is a bit odd and confusing in it's set up. We are keeping our fingers crossed for a new terminal that will make more sense.

You cannot actually drive up to the terminal itself. You have to be shuttled over to it for security reasons.

What will happen is that you will pull in and show your documents at the beginning of a long maze of concrete barriers to an area where you will drop off your luggage. You will then continue through the maze where, if you are early, you will sit until they open the parking warehouse. Then, you will move forward to another tent where you will pay for parking or, if you have one, show your handicapped placard for the free parking.

Once you have done all this, you will enter the warehouse and park and then will stand in line for the shuttle with your carry on luggage. It is a very short ride to the terminal from here....less than a minute.

Confused yet?? ;) Even though it is a bit convoluted, amazingly it runs very smoothly and seamlessly. And there are workers along the way that will keep you pointed in the right direction.

I dont know why I keep trying to leave him out! I guess the UN-honeymoon is over. :p

Thanks for the review, I have loved all of them in the past. I grew up on Johns Island, and when we go on the Fantasy in a few weeks some family are just going to drop us off. Do you know the process for just being dropped off at the port? Thanks!

Thanks for the review, I have loved all of them in the past. I grew up on Johns Island, and when we go on the Fantasy in a few weeks some family are just going to drop us off. Do you know the process for just being dropped off at the port? Thanks!

Here is a link to the port of charleston website. We have had taxi cab's drop us off in the past and I want to say that drop off's were the cars that were driving by our "sit and wait" line. This link says it is good through December 2012 so maybe check closer to your sailing date to see if it has been updated.

http://www.port-of-charleston.com/cruises/documents/carnival_fantasy_jul_dec_2012.pdf

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS AND MYTH BUSTING

I tried to pay attention to different things that are mentioned on the boards so that I could give my opinion on some of the complaints. Some things I noticed and other things just really didn’t bother me. As I have said before though, my opinion may be different than yours. Something that may seem like a big deal to one person, may not faze me in the least. Even the Andrew and I don’t see eye to eye on some things. :eek:

MUSIC: I will say that I miss the steel drums of the days of yore but I honestly didn’t find the music horrendous at all. The sound levels on lido were not extreme and the music they played was a decent variety. When we boarded, there were more of “oldies” type tunes and as I stood in line at the Mongolian Wok, several of us in line were singing along with the music. There was also some island type music played by what I believe was a two piece band. As the day progressed and we got closer to sailaway, there was more of club type music and of course they played the Wobble, Electric Slide and Cupid Shuffle. When the Andrew would get up in the VERY early morning for his nicotine fit, they were playing jazz instrumentals which I guess they start up in the very early morning hours. He really enjoyed this.

Music Degree was of course a treat! I am not sure about having them in the promenade because it seems like the traffic flow gets a bit disrupted but enjoyed seeing them in Cat’s Lounge as more of a destination venue. The quality of their music is spot on!

LINES: I never noticed any unreasonable lines for the food areas. Even the line for the Grille was rather small with probably 5 people in front of me the few times that I went. There were no fellow passengers cutting in line or pushing each other around. The lines for the dining room wrapped around the atrium but you can avoid this by sitting in the library or in the atrium on the comfy couches, if you have a set dining time OR Anytime dining, until you see the line get smaller. You don’t HAVE to stand in the line. Everyone gets in eventually. There was a line for the VIFP party but I stood at the very back and once the doors opened the line moved swiftly. The lines to get back on the ship were non-existant except for tendering back from HMC. Here again….find a comfy spot to sit in the shade and let the line decrease. Much less stressful. There was no line at all for Embarkation and the line for Debarkation moved quickly for self assist.

VIFP PARTY: There were a large number of VIFP’s on this sailing. I ended up sitting in the back corner, first floor on the far left in one of those swivel couches. This was definitely NOT a good spot to sit in if you want to get served anything right away or if you want multiple drinks. I was sitting there for quite some time before I could get eye contact with a server. The people who were behind me got multiple drinks before I even got my first. I guess you need to be on the main floor or closer to the aisle in order to get more prompt service. Maybe on a shorter sailing there are less VIFP’s? I dunno. Service seemed better at the regular Past Guest Party in previous years.

Edited by All4fun&fun4all

Great review! I am interested in the anytime dining. We're there ,any larger tables or did there seem to be more 2 tops? We have a larger group and are trying to decide if we could get close together or not. Any other comments about it will be appreciated!

Great review! I am interested in the anytime dining. We're there ,any larger tables or did there seem to be more 2 tops? We have a larger group and are trying to decide if we could get close together or not. Any other comments about it will be appreciated!

We had anytime dining on our Fantasy cruise. They had many two and four tops. They did have larger round tables also.

ADDITIONAL THOUGHTS AND MYTH BUSTING

I tried to pay attention to different things that are mentioned on the boards so that I could give my opinion on some of the complaints. Some things I noticed and other things just really didn’t bother me. As I have said before though, my opinion may be different than yours. Something that may seem like a big deal to one person, may not faze me in the least. Even the Andrew and I don’t see eye to eye on some things. :eek:

MUSIC: I will say that I miss the steel drums of the days of yore but I honestly didn’t find the music horrendous at all. The sound levels on lido were not extreme and the music they played was a decent variety. When we boarded, there were more of “oldies” type tunes and as I stood in line at the Mongolian Wok, several of us in line were singing along with the music. There was also some island type music played by what I believe was a two piece band. As the day progressed and we got closer to sailaway, there was more of club type music and of course they played the Wobble, Electric Slide and Cupid Shuffle. When the Andrew would get up in the VERY early morning for his nicotine fit, they were playing jazz instrumentals which I guess they start up in the very early morning hours. He really enjoyed this.

Music Degree was of course a treat! I am not sure about having them in the promenade because it seems like the traffic flow gets a bit disrupted but enjoyed seeing them in Cat’s Lounge as more of a destination venue. The quality of their music is spot on!

LINES: I never noticed any unreasonable lines for the food areas. Even the line for the Grille was rather small with probably 5 people in front of me the few times that I went. There were no fellow passengers cutting in line or pushing each other around. The lines for the dining room wrapped around the atrium but you can avoid this by sitting in the library or in the atrium on the comfy couches, if you have a set dining time OR Anytime dining, until you see the line get smaller. You don’t HAVE to stand in the line. Everyone gets in eventually. There was a line for the VIFP party but I stood at the very back and once the doors opened the line moved swiftly. The lines to get back on the ship were non-existant except for tendering back from HMC. Here again….find a comfy spot to sit in the shade and let the line decrease. Much less stressful. There was no line at all for Embarkation and the line for Debarkation moved quickly for self assist.

VIFP PARTY: There were a large number of VIFP’s on this sailing. I ended up sitting in the back corner, first floor on the far left in one of those swivel couches. This was definitely NOT a good spot to sit in if you want to get served anything right away or if you want multiple drinks. I was sitting there for quite some time before I could get eye contact with a server. The people who were behind me got multiple drinks before I even got my first. I guess you need to be on the main floor or closer to the aisle in order to get more prompt service. Maybe on a shorter sailing there are less VIFP’s? I dunno. Service seemed better at the regular Past Guest Party in previous years.

Nancy, They have the VIFP party in the Aft lounge (behind the Majestic bar) on shorter cruises. I like it better as it is usually alot less crowded and service is much better/faster. When are you looking to cruise in March?:cool: Pink

Thanks!

There were 2 and 4 tops. The largest table that we sat at was a 10 top. I think when we sat with the entertainment folks that was a 8 top. A table for 2 seemed to be the most popular request where-as the 4 top was the most readily available.

When you go to the hostess stand tell her that you have X amount of people in your party and see if they can seat you all together. At the very least you may have to wait with the flashy dinner thingy until one opens up.

How many are in your party?

Nancy, They have the VIFP party in the Aft lounge (behind the Majestic bar) on shorter cruises. I like it better as it is usually alot less crowded and service is much better/faster. When are you looking to cruise in March?:cool: Pink

Pink, you wanna sail with us again? :) We are looking at March and April. It's probably going to be a last minute thing since I have to wait to see how much my tax return is going to be. I am wanting to bring my oldest child with me but not sure if I should add him last last last minute since he is a bit flighty. I also get an extra paycheck in March so that could cover our fun money.

I want a countdown ticker now!!!!

MORE THOUGHTS:

ARAWAK CAY IN NASSAU, SERVICE SLOW?: Before we went to Arawak Cay (Fish Fry), we did our research and heard from many people to expect long waits and slow service because the restaurant works on "island time". Knowing that this cultural difference may occur, already put us in the mindset of enjoying a slow and relaxing meal with each other and our new friends. We were surprised at the speed in which we were seated, asked what our choice of beverage was and given bread to munch on at Twin Brothers. And the food came out quickly as well. So, my best advice to you, if you choose to go to Fish Fry, go with the mindset that you could be there awhile and choose good dining companions for your trek. :);)

DOES SHIP WATER CAUSE SWELLING OR IS IT ALL THAT SALT?: Honestly, we had never encountered this in the past but had read on the boards that some folks experienced swelling in their feet and legs. Some blamed the ship's water and some said it was all the salt. I am not sure which of those is the absolute cause but the Andrew started swelling in his legs and feet on about the 3rd or 4th day. We always drink water with dinner in the MDR so once he noticed this...he stopped drinking the water as a precaution. The swelling took a couple of weeks to go down.

ANYTIME DINING....IS IT FOR ME? We loved ATD and will be choosing this dining option moving forward. We had no problems with service, except for that one off night. The food came out warm to hot to scorching for the hot foods and the cold food came out cold. We were still able to see Showtime and we liked the idea that we would have a different dinner companion each night or we could choose to dine with a new friend that had ATD also. This helps because as some of you may know, you get some duds for dinner companions sometimes and who wants to contend with that for 7 days?

WHAT ARE YOU WEARING? I have heard countless disagreements regarding attire in the MDR and I just dont pay attention to other people when I am having dinner. Tunnel vision is what I call it. Unless it's pointed out to me...I guess I just dont notice. So this time I made it a point to pay attention and looked around at the other tables. Everyone seemed to be dressed properly. There were 3 occasions that I noticed something though. The first was someone getting turned away for wearing a "wifebeater" at lunchtime, an older lady that was wearing a cover up at lunchtime (it was one of those that have a picture of a skinny persons body in a bathing suit...so it looks like the person wearing it is really skinny in a skimpy suit) and on the last evening in the MDR for dinner I saw a guy wearing a character winter cap. Oh the horror!

Personally, I wore a dress every night and the Andrew was either in a suit, khaki's and a nice shirt or on the last day...in those dreaded flip flops. He is such a rebel. :p

Thanks!

There were 2 and 4 tops. The largest table that we sat at was a 10 top. I think when we sat with the entertainment folks that was a 8 top. A table for 2 seemed to be the most popular request where-as the 4 top was the most readily available.

When you go to the hostess stand tell her that you have X amount of people in your party and see if they can seat you all together. At the very least you may have to wait with the flashy dinner thingy until one opens up.

How many are in your party?

There are 14 of us. We want to sit close at least. Right now er have early and are linked together.

Great review..

I see you made it to Jacks.. Great place.. Jack and Janet are wonderful.. Can't wait to see them again..

Would love to have you and "The Andrew" join us in November.. You know where to find us.. :D

Thank you. Nancy gets to take all the credit for the review. I just showed up for some photographs and the un-wedding. And i was almost late for that...almost.

Finished reading the review this morning! Great as always.

You metioned sailing again in March or April. Pick April 11th - we will be one that one.:D

Kim

Thanks Kim! We are looking at April 16th so I guess we can just high five as I board and you depart. ;)

Hi Nancy, You mentioned on the first page the drink coupons how did that work? I have been ordering 1 of them every pay since we booked our cruise.

I ordered one set per payday up until the cruise also. They really cut down on that final bill at the end. (We also pre-paid our tips before we sailed but that's another story altogether). There is a small amount of savings by buying the drink coupons simply because they add the normal 15% gratuity to the cost after the coupon has been deducted. I know...that seems clear as mud right? Let me break it down a bit. I am really horrible with mathematics but I will try.

Here is the scenario. Say you wanted to buy at Twilight Zone and the cost for a Twilight Zone is let's say $7.00. Here are the cost breakdowns

Without coupon: $7.00 + 15% gratuity= $8.05

With coupon: $7.00-$5.75= $1.25 + 15% gratuity= $1.44

When we first arrived in our cabin there were slips of paper stating that we had a gift that we will receive in the dining room that night at dinner. When you give the hostess your cabin number at dinner, someone will bring your drink coupons to you a few moments after you get seated.

When you order your drinks with them you will simply tell the bartender what you want and give him the drink coupon at that point along with your sail and sign card.

I actually have 3 leftover from our last sailing and you are still able to use them for future sailings.

thanks kim! We are looking at april 16th so i guess we can just high five as i board and you depart. ;)

Oh bummer....maybe I will get to cruise with you one of these days!

So give me some suggestions for great places to eat seafood in Charleston. We are driving down day before and staying at Residence Inn on Ripley Point Drive. DS's girfriend is a vegetarian but she will eat seafood. So need some good suggestions if you don't mind...thanks!!!

Kim

Edited by LUVMYGSDOG
typo

Oh bummer....maybe I will get to cruise with you one of these days!

So give me some suggestions for great places to eat seafood in Charleston. We are driving down day before and staying at Residence Inn on Ripley Point Drive. DS's girfriend is a vegetarian but she will eat seafood. So need some good suggestions if you don't mind...thanks!!!

Kim

We really enjoy Fleet Landing restaurant and we especially love it because it is right next to the cruise terminal. It is also walking distance to the City Market and Waterfront Park. You can walk down to the end of the pier and swing on the swings and take a few pics in front of the Pineapple Fountain.

http://www.fleetlanding.net/

The Noisy Oyster is pretty tasty too which is right on the City Market.

http://www.noisyoysterseafood.com/

If you are looking for more upscale "fancy pants" dining...I would go to Hank's Seafood.

http://hanksseafoodrestaurant.com/

Or Magnolia's

http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/magnoliasHome.asp?catID=20426

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

I have not eaten there but have heard good things. The Andrew had a girlfriend back in the day that worked there so he may have eaten there during that time. Let's ask him....:p Heyyyyy ANNNNDREWWWW!

The Andrew says: "Yeah, I ate there. It was good but a bit pricey".

Hi Nancy, thanks for taking the time to do the review, I really enjoyed it. Makes me want to book a cruise.

Thank you! We cant wait to sail again. I am ACHING for another cruise!

We really enjoy Fleet Landing restaurant and we especially love it because it is right next to the cruise terminal. It is also walking distance to the City Market and Waterfront Park. You can walk down to the end of the pier and swing on the swings and take a few pics in front of the Pineapple Fountain.

http://www.fleetlanding.net/

The Noisy Oyster is pretty tasty too which is right on the City Market.

http://www.noisyoysterseafood.com/

If you are looking for more upscale "fancy pants" dining...I would go to Hank's Seafood.

http://hanksseafoodrestaurant.com/

Or Magnolia's

http://www.magnolias-blossom-cypress.com/magnoliasHome.asp?catID=20426

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks, the Noisy Oyster looks right up our alley (menu looks great!). No fancy pants dining for us when I am paying for 4! :)

Kim