Getting More WITHOUT Paying for it

slp123

No higher level at this time, but I know from personal experience that some get "added" benefits. Some of these benefits include 2 for 1 dinners at specialty restaurants, a free drink or two when dining , invitations to Captain's Table and "special" snacks delivered to their cabin. Those who receive them tend to be very frequent cruisers who have developed relationships with staff. These relationships are based on mutual respect and trust. Complainers and those demanding special treatment are excluded from this tier.

I have gotten many of these on different lines ..I never askedfor them just got them ..but it is all about who you know ..really ...at least in my case .....I must say I appreciated them all and all in charge were thanked appropriately

I was treated like a Queen on Princess....many many ships .NCL Epic ,HAL Noordam and Celebrity Millie and QM2

I am grateful for all and never take any for granted BUT i will admit when I do not get them I do miss them ......

Again, my point is to share and have others share as well, benefits, free amenities, discounts, free upgrades that are available, but which are usually not published or well publicized or which generally are believed not to be available but for the ability of middle and senior management to make exceptions to existing policy or decisions where no policy exists or the policy is not clear.

Let me give you a non-cruise example. At one time, for 2 years, I traveled out of Miami airport at least once a week, 80% of the time on American. On occasion I arrived very late at the airport, less than 45 minutes before departure. Getting through security in time was problematic. The first time that happened the ticket agent offered to walk me through security to get me to the plane on time. Before leaving the check-in desk she radioed the plane to hold the door beyond the usual closing time for an on-time take off. I made the flight and thanked her profusely. 7 months later I was in the same situation and "I asked if the could 'walk me through security' and radio the pilot to hold the door. The agent did not know me and looked at me as if I just had arrived from Mars. She then checked my reservation and departure time and looked up, smiled, and said sure I will get you an agent and a golf cart to get you to the gate.

I had never seen the service offered to anyone who read anywhere in the Elite status privileges that such a service was offered. But apparently, if your were an Executive Platinum member, it was AA's policy to provide the service. Now if you qualified for this Elite level, won't you be happy to know about this life saver. And your knowing about it, doesn't jeopardize my future use of it. Only I can jeopardize my use of it, should I request the service too frequently.

I have to confess that I am beginning to regret having started this thread. First I am flamed for being a dishonest grifter cheating the system. Then people question why would I offer up "secrets" that would diminish my own ability to use my own tips. And finally people question whether what I am offering is of any value because it is available to anyone or they already know a specific secret tip.

Over the years people contributing to discussion groups here have told me things that have been of value to me, made for a better cruise or were merely just interesting and entertaining . And I am happy if I can return the favor. Why is such an undertaking so hard for some to find creditable that they feel the need to prejudge, especially when a lot of the content I plan to contribute has not yet been posted.

I am not being sarcastic; I am sincerely asking why all this negativity. Not only on this thread but I see it on may other threads as well. What is the cause of all this sophomoric behavior among members? I have been using cruise critic for 4 years but only am here with any regularity only for the two months before a booked cruise. So I have not been around much for the first 10 months of 2012. Have things changed here so much in a year.

I am going to give myself a 24 hour time out an think. I honestly need to give some thought to posting my secrets--for the last thing I want is being taken to task by anyone who is unable to make a tip work for them, or accuses me of being a liar if policy changes or worse using a tip while being abusive or arrogant---exactly the wrong way to use these secrets. These are not random tips, these ideas, contacts tips etc. have been collected and recorded in a notebook given to me by my Grandfather over 44 years ago. From the age of 5 I was in love with liners and cruise ships and life on board. And when, at the age of 14 my Grandmother took me across the Atlantic on a ship, my grandfather gave me the notebook to keep a diary so I could tell him what he missed as he was unable to go, having a large case currently on trial. So in May 1969 on board QE2's maiden eastbound crossing I had my first exposure to life on board a great liner and how one behaves and how one treats staff.

I wonder if I can keep my promise to share some secrets while avoiding the risks discussed above?

Thank you so much for sharing the story of your cruise with your amazing grandmother. What wonderful memories you both made. And thank you for what you are trying to achieve with this thread. I also cannot understand some of the negativity. Oh well, it's a funny old world as MY grandmother used to say;)

Sue

I have gotten many of these on different lines ..I never askedfor them just got them ..but it is all about who you know ..really ...at least in my case .....I must say I appreciated them all and all in charge were thanked appropriately

I was treated like a Queen on Princess....many many ships .NCL Epic ,HAL Noordam and Celebrity Millie and QM2

I am grateful for all and never take any for granted BUT i will admit when I do not get them I do miss them ......

Those of us in Celebrity's confidential and intentionally undocumented "diamond elite" program are asked not to talk about it...but the extra perks are significant. We've enjoyed superb extra service and upgrades on all of our recent Celebrity cruises.

Travel Agents do not know of this program and only a very few in Celebrity HQ are aware of it, but if you travel enough with Celebrity, you will likely be invited to become a member.

I really can't say more....

I have been on 40 cruises but have spread the wealth pretty evenly so I am only Platinum with Princess almost Elite and on borders of higher echelon on all other companies ...so that cannot be the reason I was so well treated True on a Carnival ship one the VPs of the company advised them I was on board ...I think that helped..I was so well treated ...really really nice THis was an AMAZING trip in Alaska ..I/m not exactly sure why they treat me well other than I do cruise ..a LOT

THe interesting part is my son just turned 21 has about as many cruises as me so he will continue to benefit from perks for a much longer time I hope as they now count as they did not before officially becoming an adult .

I really believe if you are nice others will be too

I am also of the opinion that being nice and polite often has its own rewards, beyond the simple fact that it is the right thing to do. If the cruiseline (or whatever) decides it wants to reward you additional perks for going a bit above and beyond that's great and I see no issue with it.

That said, what info have we really gained from this thread? I went back and re-read it and to me it is just basically frustrating. I get nice perks and benefits, but even though I started this post I am not going to tell you how I get most of them (especially the really good ones), but if anyone else knows of any other good ones please post so I can take advantage of those as well? Huh? That seems like the gist of it to me.

Those of us in Celebrity's confidential and intentionally undocumented "diamond elite" program are asked not to talk about it...but the extra perks are significant. We've enjoyed superb extra service and upgrades on all of our recent Celebrity cruises.

Travel Agents do not know of this program and only a very few in Celebrity HQ are aware of it, but if you travel enough with Celebrity, you will likely be invited to become a member.

I really can't say more....

I am currently stuck at Celebrity's Cubic Zirconia Elite Level. Have not seen the perks listed above. But someday.....

I am currently stuck at Celebrity's Cubic Zirconia Elite Level. Have not seen the perks listed above. But someday.....

Way too funny! Perhaps you'll enlighten us and divulge some of the fake wannabe perks you receive now that you've reached CZ Elite status.

To the OP:

I would really like to read what you intend to share. Since I started coming to Cruise Critic I am amazed over the number of hints I've learned from other cruisers.

I don't think there is a single thing wrong with what you have posted so far and if I were you, I would ignore the naysayers who are probably just a tad jealous. :)

I think it is very generous of you to want to share the knowledge you've garnered over the years. I'm so sorry that you are being abused for it.

Thanks for the interesting thread. I always appreciate someone's views on a topic and any info is helpful for a beginner cruiser. Mainly the way I see it if you treat others with common decency, and do things for others for the right reasons- you get rewarded- maybe not in money or a deal although that is nice- but in feeling good about how you live your life. This info is good food for thought and who doesn't like a deal or little perk.

Prices for everything from real estate, furs and diamonds to hotel rooms, specialty restaurants and spa passes are negotiable. At the moment you approach a potential transaction, you never know what the seller's goals are--they may need to up their sales volume, fill a hole, show progress on building a loyal client base, whatever.... There is simply no harm in a consumer politely saying, "I'm interested in what you are offering and would like to see if we can make a deal. Can you do anything for me on price or to otherwise sweeten the pot?" Sometimes, the answer is delightfully surprising! Other times, it's a no. But you'll never know if you don't ask.

I wasn't raised to ask, and to some extent, I think there are regional/cultural "habits" as to whether you view a potential transaction as controlled by the seller or an invitation for seller and buyer to engage in a discussion that might reveal any number of approaches to doing business. My better half subscribes to the latter view and thinks he's failed if he doesn't ask--to him, it's all about the art of the deal.

Thanks, OP, for sharing your tips.

Prices for everything from real estate, furs and diamonds to hotel rooms, specialty restaurants and spa passes are negotiable. At the moment you approach a potential transaction, you never know what the seller's goals are--they may need to up their sales volume, fill a hole, show progress on building a loyal client base, whatever.... There is simply no harm in a consumer politely saying, "I'm interested in what you are offering and would like to see if we can make a deal. Can you do anything for me on price or to otherwise sweeten the pot?" Sometimes, the answer is delightfully surprising! Other times, it's a no. But you'll never know if you don't ask.

I wasn't raised to ask, and to some extent, I think there are regional/cultural "habits" as to whether you view a potential transaction as controlled by the seller or an invitation for seller and buyer to engage in a discussion that might reveal any number of approaches to doing business. My better half subscribes to the latter view and thinks he's failed if he doesn't ask--to him, it's all about the art of the deal.

Thanks, OP, for sharing your tips.

I so agree with everything you say in your first paragraph and I believe that not only you but most people who have only lived in the US have a hard time opening a negotiation on the price of an item, except when buying a car or something used be it a car, a lawn mower or used furniture. The custom is very different in other countries and since I have lived abroad twice in my life and traveled overseas on business and negotiated business overseas you must be very aware of the local custom. In fact in some countries, if you are a buyer and fail to negotiate and just say yes to the asking price you can be viewed as insulting the seller thinking that he is so stupid or socially so beneath you as not being to unworthy to negotiate with. In my family if you got into a fight with a sibling or a cousin, you were led to the kitchen table with your cousin or sibling in tow and required to negotiate your differences and not leave the table until the matter was settled and forgiveness given. No one was allowed to go to bed angry. So asking and negotiating is a way of life for me. So it pains me when someone feels they cannot ask for a deal. It leaves one feeling powerless and that is not healthy.

But as long as you are polite nothing bad is going to happen if you ask questions. It gives you a sense of control even when the negotiation fails to yield what you wanted. And in any buy/sell situation I always view the seller as the one who needs me and not vice versa. I would be hard pressed to name something I have to buy from this one seller. Sure I need food and my prescription medicine . . . but I have a choice of sellers. So it is the seller who is at the buyer's mercy and whim. But if one is a seller, you have already expended time and money to possess what you have bought wholesale or bought previously and are now are selling and you may also have spent money on advertising what you have to offer. As the buyer I can say yes, no or only if you lower the price otherwise I think I will buy elsewhere.

And that is precisely why cruise lines have perks, loyalty programs and the ability to have little value secrets to win over customers and keep them. That is why smart senior management gives staff various level of authority to make exceptions to policy or make up a policy if none exists. Because as the buyer, we are in control.

For those waiting for my cabin upgrade tips...I am checking on a few things to make sure my current info is accurate. Will post when I finish fact checking.

To understand the why when and how to get you’re best FREE cabin upgrade or Special Cabin Discount, there are a couple of general principles to bear in mind that will improve your chances.

• Basic rules governing cabin pricing. A cruise ship’s inventory has a very finite shelf life with a fixed expiration date. They know it never makes sense to let a ship sail with more than a handful of empty cabins (for emergency use). The goal generally is 98-99% occupancy. Therefore cruises which are harder to sell will have more upgrade opportunities. You can improve your odds for a free upgrade by taking into consideration the time of year you are booking a cruise to a specific location. And if you have the patience to research it in trade magazines, markets which have over-capacity are good bets for upgrades.
  • Reduction in prices in your cabin category will get you a reduction in your price, but only if final payment has not yet been made. You may also request an upgrade if prices in cabin categories higher than your booked category fall. Generally, take the money if final payment is still due. See next paragraph for further explanation. Early price reductions, if they occur, happen because the cruise line will have concluded sales are slower as compared to prior years for any number of reasons or competitors in the same market have reduced prices making Celebrity’s prices noncompetitive.
  • The best opportunity to get a free or nominal cost upgrade will almost always occur 8 to 3 weeks before the sail date. You cannot get a price reduction/refund during this period because you have already paid in full. And if you already opted for an upgrade during an earlier price drop, you may not be allowed a second one. If you have not, later I will discuss how to negotiate the best deal.
  • Upgrades into suites happen very differently than upgrades to outside or veranda cabins--my knowledge varies by cruise line but these upgrades are given to the cruise lines most loyal/frequent prior passengers. And within that group, those paying the most on the current cruise will be offered the best upgrade. While an elite member may call to inquire about a suite upgrade, generally the cruise line likes to do an overview of the whole ship’s availability and a whole list of their elite members who are booked on that cruise, sort out suite upgrades all at once (holding a few for last minute sale) and then contact those being offered an upgrade all at the same time, giving them a deadline to accept the upgrade offer.
  • You may have to give up a previously given booking incentive. This is normal, don’t object, either accept or decline the upgrade. I am referring to perks given in certain cabin categories to boost sales, such as a gratuity inclusion, ship board credit, free specialty dining etc. These perks applied to specific cabin categories sold during specific dates. You may be that accepting the upgrade eliminates these perks. If nothing is said, this is not a time to assume “no news is good news”. Before finalizing the amended booking and receiving a new confirmation, be sure to ask about perks previously given so there is no later misunderstanding. And if the answer is no, either pass on the upgrade or accept the give back of the perks… but you really are not entitled to be in a different cabin to which these perks do not apply.

Tomorrow—I discuss what you need to consider when choosing a cruise if you want to have a good chance of an upgrade. Also what you need to do to insure that the maximum discount or refund is applied to your booking after what you actually have booked your trip and paid your deposits but before you pay in full.

Saturday—after paying in full, following completion of all your cruise documents on line, it is now time to set up your Google auto alerts and scan some key sites and when the moment is right, go negotiate a really great upgrade. But remember it’s only possible if prices for cabins in categories above yours are reduced.

Sunday—when you do everything right but no upgrade came your way, don’t despair, there are still consolation prizes to be had.

This posting of advice works best without a TA involved between you and the cruise line but it is not impossible if you have a TA. (See Sunday) Everything stated in my postings are based solely on my prior experiences and those of my friends. Cruise line policies may be change at any time and your efforts may end with a different result.

I invite everyone not only share their “secrets” but their future victories or defeats. I will take no credit for your winning a free upgrade or a big discount. So please cast no blame if you don’t get an upgrade for a booked cruise, there is always the next cruise and you will better at it the next time.

So just curious to anyone reading this thread - has anyone with fewer than, say, 50 cruises on Celebrity ever gotten upgraded to a suite? And let me define upgrade - I am talking about someone calling you and offering you a suite for the same price you are already paying. I am not talking about getting an offer for a suite at a reduced price - I have heard tell of that happening (not that it has ever happened to me:)). Has that ever, ever happened to anyone? I remember on two cruises a number of years ago we were the most cruised passengers and while we were nicely recognized (roses, picture with the Captain) we got nothing resembling an upgrade.

All the other 'secrets' mentioned are not really secrets at all, although it is nice to have them recapped in one thread. People also define 'upgrade' differently. I consider it an upgrade when someone from Celebrity calls out of the blue and offers a better room. While it is nice, I do not consider it an upgrade when prices drop and you are able to upgrade your room for the same price. Some people do consider that an upgrade - not saying one is wrong or right, just that when discussing we need to make sure we mean the same thing. My question above references my definition.

So just curious to anyone reading this thread - has anyone with fewer than, say, 50 cruises on Celebrity ever gotten upgraded to a suite? And let me define upgrade - I am talking about someone calling you and offering you a suite for the same price you are already paying. I am not talking about getting an offer for a suite at a reduced price - I have heard tell of that happening (not that it has ever happened to me:)). Has that ever, ever happened to anyone? I remember on two cruises a number of years ago we were the most cruised passengers and while we were nicely recognized (roses, picture with the Captain) we got nothing resembling an upgrade.

All the other 'secrets' mentioned are not really secrets at all, although it is nice to have them recapped in one thread. People also define 'upgrade' differently. I consider it an upgrade when someone from Celebrity calls out of the blue and offers a better room. While it is nice, I do not consider it an upgrade when prices drop and you are able to upgrade your room for the same price. Some people do -consider that an upgrade - not saying one is wrong or right, just that when discussing we need to make sure we mean the same thing. My question above references my definition.

Upgraded to a suite?:eek:.....sailing with Celebrity for almost 10 years

now....never upgraded to anything......not complaining, just stating

a fact.

I book the cabin I am happy with but no, never upgraded...not to

another regular cabin and definitely not to a suite:eek:

On our fall TA there were two couples on our Roll Call that booked a suite guarantee. They were assigned a Sky Suite. They were upgraded for no additional charge to a Celebrity Suite. There were others with the suite guarantee that got Sky Suites, I guess they ran out of better ones.

Upgraded to a suite?:eek:.....sailing with Celebrity for almost 10 years

now....never upgraded to anything......not complaining, just stating

a fact.

I book the cabin I am happy with but no, never upgraded...not to

another regular cabin and definitely not to a suite:eek:

Me neither, and also not complaining. Just referencing some of the comments in Lesson Day 1 regarding how suite upgrades work. If they go to the "most loyal" passengers, I wonder what the cut-off is. If you can't get one when you are the most cruised on the entire ship, then I guess most loyal must be defined by a very high number of cruises (or perhaps a lower number of very expensive cruises:D)

I believe that the rules for price drop refunds changed a couple of years ago.

There is a time limit after booking when you can get a refund if the price drops. Once you pass that window, even if it's well before final payment, you can upgrade, but you don't get the refund.

All the other 'secrets' mentioned are not really secrets at all, although it is nice to have them recapped in one thread. People also define 'upgrade' differently. I consider it an upgrade when someone from Celebrity calls out of the blue and offers a better room. While it is nice, I do not consider it an upgrade when prices drop and you are able to upgrade your room for the same price. Some people do consider that an upgrade - not saying one is wrong or right, just that when discussing we need to make sure we mean the same thing. My question above references my definition.

I have 11 cruises on Cunard and about two weeks before my ninth cruise (which was a 13 or 14 day Mediterranean cruise on the QM2) I received a call and offered a free upgrade from a standard balcony stateroom to a Princess Grill Suite.

My post is coming in three parts. Mostly today was about guiding principles to increase your chances for an upgrade. The "Secrets" come in te next two posts.

As far as what I consider an upgrade when being offered a different cabin at no cost, it meets one of the following criteria:

• The offered cabin is materially larger (15% or more larger in size)

• The cabin offered has a veranda where my former did not

• The cabin offered is a Concierge or Aqua stateroom, even if square footage identical

• Any offer that moves me into a suite

What I do not consider a true upgrade is any offer that requires an additional payment of money or any offer of a higher category cabin in the same class of cabin unless my original cabin had an obstructed view and the new one does not.

i

I believe that the rules for price drop refunds changed a couple of years ago.

There is a time limit after booking when you can get a refund if the price drops. Once you pass that window, even if it's well before final payment, you can upgrade, but you don't get the refund.

Maybe the rule is different for different ships or on different cruises of different length, but I am speaking from my experience just 6 weeks ago. I just got a $150 reduction to my invoice in November a day or so before my final payment was due. I booked the cruise on 10-14 and put up a deposit then. My final payment was due November 12 and the credit was placed on my reservation on 9th.

And I just arranged the upgrade 7 days ago. I called December 28th or 29th when I saw category 1B veranda suites were being deeply discounted. I asked if I could upgrade and her reply was "yes, into any cabin category whose current sales price is lower than what you paid for your cabin. But any difference in price between your original booking and the new cabin will not be refunded if the new booking is cheaper but if you see a cabin you want which is more than the current difference between cabin prices, you can pay the difference." I said I wanted the upgrade but in retrospect I should have inquired about an upgrade that cost money and seen if they would allow me to move to Suite if I paid the difference. I think the answer would have been know because I believe the offer to pay the difference was limited to a certain dollar amount. But as I said I accepted a no cost upgrade which moved me from Ocean View deck 3 forward to Veranda deck 9 mid-ship. This represents a jump of 8 cabin categories.

Me neither, and also not complaining. Just referencing some of the comments in Lesson Day 1 regarding how suite upgrades work. If they go to the "most loyal" passengers, I wonder what the cut-off is. If you can't get one when you are the most cruised on the entire ship, then I guess most loyal must be defined by a very high number of cruises (or perhaps a lower number of very expensive cruises:D)

I am sorry if I was unclear. Regarding upgrades to Suites, I was speaking in general terms across 4-6 cruise lines. I don't have enough experience to talk about Celebrity specifically in this area. I have been on and off ships since I was 14 in 1969. There are only a few years I missed taking a cruise and in other years I took 2 or 3 but I can no longer come to accurate count but we are talking a span of some 40 years. And lets assumed I average 1 cruise a year. In all those 44 cruises I was upgraded by the cruise line calling me from a standard stateroom to a suite (or in earlier years we merely called it First Class) just 3 times-- once on Cunard, once once HAL, once on Azamara. As far as frequency of sailing on those lines--its 11 for Cunard, 5 for HAL and 3 for Azamara. And as a matter of full and fair disclosure, one of the upgrades happened because the husband of a very close friend of mine worked as the North American marketing director at British Airways which worked very closely with Cunard on Sail/Fly trans-Atlantic travel packages.

Maybe the rule is different for different ships or on different cruises of different length, but I am speaking from my experience just 6 weeks ago. I just got a $150 reduction to my invoice in November a day or so before my final payment was due. I booked the cruise on 10-14 and put up a deposit then. My final payment was due November 12 and the credit was placed on my reservation on 9th.

Here's a direct link to the policy. I'm not making this up.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/footer/bpGuarantee.do?pagename=footer_pages_best_price_guarantee

Same rule for all ships.

Archived