MUTS - Too Loud

ChevyCruiser

Although, it may be a little loud. I love daytime movies and love princess because of MUTS daytime or night. I was on Freedom of the Seas last year and was very disappointed because all they had was concerts or pictures of the Sea during the day on their outdoor screen.

OK. Let's go back to what the OP asked. In your opinion is the the volume of the audio too loud that goes with the display on the open deck!

Whether one wants a quiet place or not, has nothing to do with the actual volume that is there.

I sometimes find it loud even when walking from one point to another during the day. I rarely watch that thing during the day and I don't spend that much time on the open deck during the day.

I also have an option many people don't have. I can take out my hearing aids and not hear much of anything! Yay for getting old!!!

Jim

OK. Let's go back to what the OP asked. In your opinion is the the volume of the audio too loud that goes with the display on the open deck!

Whether one wants a quiet place or not, has nothing to do with the actual volume that is there.

I sometimes find it loud even when walking from one point to another during the day. I rarely watch that thing during the day and I don't spend that much time on the open deck during the day.

I also have an option many people don't have. I can take out my hearing aids and not hear much of anything! Yay for getting old!!!

Jim

That's what we've been answering! :eek: It's too loud particularly when it sometimes is heard on our balconies. :rolleyes:

Hi All

No issues with MUTS, do not use the main pool, prefer a quite spot,

like the adults only pool, if sitting out on deck, its not MUTS,

but just noise from pool games, kids at play etc.

yours Shogun

Wireless headsets would be the answer. People could control their own volume and truly get a better movie experience. I drive tour bus in retirement and find it is always a battle with the movie volume. There is always a competition between those who are watching the movie and those who are not. The people who are visiting talk louder and the people watching the movie request the volume turned up. Meanwhile the poor person who simply wants to sit and relax and read is driven crazy. I think the same thing holds true with muts other than people can move elsewhere. Princess.... consider headsets especially during the daytime.

We did a world cruise on the Dawn P. in 2010, and I'm set to do the Japan trip this March, on the Sea P. I hope the MUTS screen is broken down. I really do

On the Dawn we liked to meet as a group about 5pm near the pool and have a drink until about 6pm. Then get ready for dinner.

At 5pm the bloody MUTS screen would be cranked up, the volume being such that everyone around the pool got up and and went elsewhere. So only a few people frequented the area, and even I doubt if the bar staff sold much during this time. There was no-one there!

We spoke to Warren, the Cruise Director on many occasions, asking that the volume be reduced to an acceptable level, but only on a couple of occasions was he receptive, and the bar staff would then turn the volume up in any case. The fact that one of the bar staff was the wife of the Deputy Cruise Director was not unnoticed either.

I.M.O. it was there for the enjoyment of the bar staff, as the music or the show being seen was certainly not targetted at our age group (-60+).

The stuff that was shown later in the evening was old, most had been on our T.V. as movies at one time or another, and we never saw anything that was considered a new release. When we asked about this the response was, 'I do what I'm told to do by the company, and put on what I'm given'. O.K. but the guy was the Cruise Director, not some ship's lackey, and he must have had some discretionary powers, considering the complaints that were made.

Anyway that's my rant.

We had the opposite problem on our Christmas cruise on the Emerald. The MUTS wasn't loud enough to hear the movie. I like the MUTS during the day as I like watching it instead of reading.

My dd and I went to the evening showing of Snow White and the Huntsman and we ended up leaving because I just couldn't hear the words or understand them because of the accent. I wish they would use subtitles and keep the volume at a lower volume. I don't like blasting noise either.

I found the loudest MUTS and shows on our Disney cruise. I couldn't believe how loud everything was around young ears. So Princess is actually pretty good.

I'd agree that the sound is too loud. We had a balcony on Caribe deck, and it was clearly audible to us.

Also, on the last night of our Alaska cruise MUTS was cranked up, and no one was watching the movie (I looked at both decks where you could watch it from). We were having a final night gathering on deck, and asked if the volume could be turned down, but were told that only the Cruise Director could authorize that.

Finally, killer whales and dolphins were spotted, and the Captain was giving updates from the bridge, but we could not make out what he was saying because of the noise from MUTS.

So, I agree with the majority of posters.... Please limit the use of MUTS and keep the volume to a reasonable level.

I.M.O. it was there for the enjoyment of the bar staff, as the music or the show being seen was certainly not targetted at our age group (-60+).

Just how many times does the bar staff want to hear an old Tina Turner concert?

"It appears the complainers don't get out a lot to the movies, sporting events, shows or concerts where the volume is much louder than Movies Under The Stars."

And maybe that's why they don't mind LOUD - they go to a lot of venues where they are blasted with loud music and have already lost a lot of their hearing. Despite personal opinions and preferences, there are some standards for noise exposure:

decibel-chart-ear-plugs.jpg

And there are some standards for how long one can be exposed to those levels without suffering noise-induced hearing loss. Take a look at the table above for an exposure of 110 decibels and find 110 decibels on the table below and you'll find how long one can be exposed to that level of sounds without noise induced hearing loss.

Capture.PNG

A good rule of thumb for evaluating the noise level in an environment is that the noise level is about 90dB(A) if people have to shout to be heard at a distance of one metre. Above 90 and you're into the hearing loss zone.

MUTS would be fine if it was to be truly "movies under the stars" but during the day it is very abusive to people who want to read or relax in the sun at the pool. I know that there are other places to go to get away from the noise but the sound wafts to other areas on the deck as well as balconies.

• 2 months later...

We were on the Coral Princess for the March 7 cruise. We could not even sit in the sun by the pool area because of the noise from MUTS. All we wanted to do was relax and read our books. We had to sit on the bow area which was windy, but at least not noisy. When we walked by the pool area many people had left when the movie was playing.

One day we were sitting on our balcony, deck 10, and we could hear MUTS. Now that is ridiculous. Nighttime makes sense, daytime, not so much. For us anyway.

We were on the Coral Princess for the March 7 cruise. We could not even sit in the sun by the pool area because of the noise from MUTS. All we wanted to do was relax and read our books. We had to sit on the bow area which was windy, but at least not noisy. When we walked by the pool area many people had left when the movie was playing.

One day we were sitting on our balcony, deck 10, and we could hear MUTS. Now that is ridiculous. Nighttime makes sense, daytime, not so much. For us anyway.

How sad that you could not enjoy some time by the pool, without the noise from MUTS!

All of us who have concerns about this need to write to Princess. If they get a high volume of letters then they will reconsider their policies. For now, they probably just see this as another service they offer which people enjoy.

I agree it's too loud. But they have this same discussion on any of the cruise lines, the music is loud in certain areas because some people associate loud with fun. It's everywhere at restaurants on land, movies, las vegas, theme parks, bars, sporting events, it's the way the world is. If it is quiet some people say, boy, that ship is dead and boring. You can't change the world. If loud is painful, then you need to get ear plugs or move to other places. Most Princess ship ships have at least 3 pools. Fighting the marketing of the fun family areas is probably a losing cause. People have been complaining about loud for many generations and it does not change.

Depending on how loud they have it cranked up, the sound can bleed to the other pool areas and also to Sanctuary area...I had a nice afternoon in Sanctuary ruined by sound bleed on Star Princess.

I guess thats why they offer noise cancelling headphones in the Sanctuary

Yup its too loud during the day, 95-100 decibels is unnecessary. We stay away but its unfortunate because everyone I've asked agreed that it was too loud on certain days. Perhaps they just need to set a standard and follow it consistently? For those of you who think its nevertoo loud? Perhaps a little hearing lose has already taken place?:eek:

On the Coral last sept/oct the MUTS was fine. We saw most of Men in Black III at night but then it started to rain and we retreated. We also saw the movie Casablanca one afternoon also with no sound issues and with wonderful chocolate chip cookies and milk....

Other times when we were by the pool on the Lido deck the MUTS has no sound-they were showing pictures.

Overall, we never experienced MUTS being too loud or an intrusion.

As for those who want it kept to night time only, there is consideration for doing so-but there is also consideration for other passengers who might want to enjoy an afternoon movie on deck by the pool. My guess is that it is at least 50-50 on that.

Judging from the way they are playing it up on the new royal and the way they play it up in ads and reviews by professionals (for example this issue of Cruise Travel features the Grand and speaks of Princesses 'signature' Movies under the Stars)

So, regardless of what some may say about it, it looks like it is going to be around for a while....

Archived