MUTS - Too Loud

ChevyCruiser

I agree. In fact, several months ago I started a thread saying I was not a fan. Why must they play that during the day? For those that think we should be dictated to where we lounge because of annoying and distracting noise is unrealistic. Why shouldn't I be able to sit outside and relax where I CHOOSE without such loud noise. And you can't even see it very well in the sun. Plus you can hear the noise in various places on the ship.....whether you want to or not....like on your balcony!!

Princess should stick to the name Movies UNDER THE STARS not sun.

This is ironic. You stated that you are dictated to where you lounge because of the loud sound from MUTS and this takes away your choice. But you could say that about any other area of the ship that has enteratinment. I like to sit in the piazza and read or relax. But there may be other activities going on there when it's convenient for me. I have seen line dancing classes, live singing, zumba, etc in this area. But it's a COMMON area, so I can CHOOSE to sit somewhere else if I don't like what's going on there. I don't choose to dictate what other people may like to enjoy in the common areas.

The thing about MUTs is that it's predictable. It is in only ONE location. It never changes. It is not promoted as a quiet area. To expect it to be so is unrealistic expectations. That's like complaining because you got wet next to the pool.

ANd for those that want to get into a battle of semantics, saying it's MUTStars, so it shouldn't be on during the day, here's a couple of points to consider: Stars don't disappear during the day. They are just less visible due to the sun. So, as the stars don't disappear, why should MUTS? Also, I enjoy the atmosphere of the Vista LOUNGE. It is called a lounge. Not a gym. Imagine my shock and dismay when I went there to lounge and found a zumba class going on in there! The music was loud, and it was quite evident that many of the participants left their daily shower until after this event, as the smell was unbearable. But rather than stomp my feet about it, I went and found another area to relax.

These are huge ships with plenty of common areas. Many in the sun, many in the shade. Many quiet areas.

FWIW on our last cruise, we couldn't find an empty chair in the MUTS area. Proof positive that people enjoy it...a sold out barn doesn't happen for the last place team.

One day we were sitting on our balcony, deck 10, and we could hear MUTS. Now that is ridiculous. Nighttime makes sense, daytime, not so much. For us anyway.

I also had to hear MUTS while on our Caribe (10) deck balcony & called the PSD to tell them it shouldn't be heard on our balcony. Nothing changed so I filled out the form they have for issues to be dealt with while onboard & they didn't even have the courtesy to call & acknowledge my input.

All of us who have concerns about this need to write to Princess. If they get a high volume of letters then they will reconsider their policies. For now, they probably just see this as another service they offer which people enjoy.

Post-cruise I sent a letter to Customer Relations praising a few employees & things that I thought could be improved upon. I included the too loud volume of MUTS & how my written input about it onboard was ignored. They called saying only that it would be "passed on to the crew" so there's no way to know if anything will change.

Opinions will vary but I'm all for MUTS being 'under the stars' or to have the tranquil videos of nature with relaxing music at a low volume which they sometimes show during the daytime. However listening to rock concerts & movies while trying to "Escape Completely" on our balcony is unaceptable to me. :(

In my experience, the volume of the racket from MUTS in the daytime is way too loud. It's been to the point where one cannot hold a conversation with a person next to them without shouting, and thus we avoid the pool area where we would otherwise like to relax.

Maybe it's loud so the people around you where you are talking can otherwise hear the movie? When I watch a movie, I like to hear the dialogue, not the dinner plans for the people next to me....just saying it's a possibility...

People have different abilities for hearing, different expectations for activities, different expectations for the use of common areas. It's just not possible to please all of the people all of the time. However, I know I enjoy myself a lot more when I'm not looking for something to complain about.

This is ironic. You stated that you are dictated to where you lounge because of the loud sound from MUTS and this takes away your choice. But you could say that about any other area of the ship that has enteratinment. I like to sit in the piazza and read or relax. But there may be other activities going on there when it's convenient for me. I have seen line dancing classes, live singing, zumba, etc in this area. But it's a COMMON area, so I can CHOOSE to sit somewhere else if I don't like what's going on there. I don't choose to dictate what other people may like to enjoy in the common areas.

The thing about MUTs is that it's predictable. It is in only ONE location. It never changes. It is not promoted as a quiet area. To expect it to be so is unrealistic expectations. That's like complaining because you got wet next to the pool.

ANd for those that want to get into a battle of semantics, saying it's MUTStars, so it shouldn't be on during the day, here's a couple of points to consider: Stars don't disappear during the day. They are just less visible due to the sun. So, as the stars don't disappear, why should MUTS? Also, I enjoy the atmosphere of the Vista LOUNGE. It is called a lounge. Not a gym. Imagine my shock and dismay when I went there to lounge and found a zumba class going on in there! The music was loud, and it was quite evident that many of the participants left their daily shower until after this event, as the smell was unbearable. But rather than stomp my feet about it, I went and found another area to relax.

These are huge ships with plenty of common areas. Many in the sun, many in the shade. Many quiet areas.

FWIW on our last cruise, we couldn't find an empty chair in the MUTS area. Proof positive that people enjoy it...a sold out barn doesn't happen for the last place team.

You tell 'em, Mabel.

This is a perfect example of one of those things that, if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers.. Some will find it too loud, some not loud enough, some say they can't hear a thing, some would prefer personal earphones, and some say that it's absolutely perfect as it is....leave it alone.

Did it occur to anybody that the loudness of MUTS is NOT the same on every Princess ship?. In fact, even the same ship may vary the volume of MUTS from sailing to sailing... dependant upon a number of factors - including the CD, Asst CD, passenger base, itinerary, etc.. So for people to come on here and make a broad generalization and blatantly say that "MUTS on Princess ships is too loud", or "too low", or whatever... won't do any good.. MUTS is a very popular Princess feature that is here to stay.. If, on your particular sailing, the volume is particularly too loud or low - and it means that much to you - simply make a 5 min appointment with the CD or Hotel Manager and have a calm discussion with him/her, and most likely - for the rest of that particular sailing, the volume will be adjusted accordingly. You just need to know who to talk to. Certainly not the bar staff.

- Rick

You tell 'em, Mabel.

This is a perfect example of one of those things that, if you ask 10 different people, you'll get 10 different answers.. Some will find it too loud, some not loud enough, some say they can't hear a thing, some would prefer personal earphones, and some say that it's absolutely perfect as it is....leave it alone.

Did it occur to anybody that the loudness of MUTS is NOT the same on every Princess ship?. In fact, even the same ship may vary the volume of MUTS from sailing to sailing... dependant upon a number of factors - including the CD, Asst CD, passenger base, itinerary, etc.. So for people to come on here and make a broad generalization and blatantly say that "MUTS on Princess ships is too loud", or "too low", or whatever... won't do any good.. MUTS is a very popular Princess feature that is here to stay.. If, on your particular sailing, the volume is particularly too loud or low - and it means that much to you - simply make a 5 min appointment with the CD or Hotel Manager and have a calm discussion with him/her, and most likely - for the rest of that particular sailing, the volume will be adjusted accordingly. You just need to know who to talk to. Certainly not the bar staff.

- Rick

Good point about each situation being different. Blanket statements are always dangerous. (yes, I get the irony!)

I don't understand being upset about a particular area being used exactly as it's advertised.... It's when people use an area for other than intended purposes thereby preventing others from using it as designed that I find irksome. For example on my last cruise - people playing board games/cards in Vines without ordering any wine. Several times we couldn't find seating to try the wine flights because people were using the tables for games. Not to mention these people are taking away tip money from the serving staff when paying customers have to leave without ordering. The staff at Vines aren't included in the daily gratuity, and I'm fairly certain the group of Scrabble players didn't leave a tip when they left.

Or the large table in Horizon court occupied during the busy lunch hour with a large group playing a VERY loud game of Mahjongg....

But I managed to battle through these hardships relatively unscathed and survive to tell you my tale. ;)

Yes it is too loud durring the day. This will be my first cruise since suffering sudden hearilng loss in one ear, which makes backround noice really annoying....so should be interesting, loud noise just makes it worse, I have earplugs that help though. My Only real complaint about MUTS (I can deal with the noise) is we tend to vacation during NCAA basketball time since my wife is a grade school teacher. They show ALOT of NCAA games on MUTS instead of the movies. I have no interest in the NCAA tournament....But I am sure some think it is the best thing ever.....oh well. Just 2 days to go and I'll be on the CB!!

Maybe it's loud so the people around you where you are talking can otherwise hear the movie? When I watch a movie, I like to hear the dialogue, not the dinner plans for the people next to me....just saying it's a possibility...

People have different abilities for hearing, different expectations for activities, different expectations for the use of common areas. It's just not possible to please all of the people all of the time. However, I know I enjoy myself a lot more when I'm not looking for something to complain about.

If I was in a movie theatre, I would be quiet and expect others to be quiet. However, in a public pool area, during the day, I expect to hear people talking amongst themselves. A band or DJ playing for a while is certainly appropriate. But to have to listen to a blaring speaker system for 2 plus hours is ridiculous. The ship we were on only had one outdoor pool, so going to another outdoor pool area to be in the sun was not an option.

The problem that I have experienced on several of the ships is not that the volume is loud, it is painfully loud and I need to leave the area to get relief from the pain.

If I was in a movie theatre, I would be quiet and expect others to be quiet. However, in a public pool area, during the day, I expect to hear people talking amongst themselves.

This.

Too loud? I don't know. But unnecessary? Yes. The problem is that during the day, the main pool area is a mixed use venue where the uses are often incompatible. Some want to relax and talk about their dinner plans and it is their right to do so. Others want to watch and listen to the movie. Not sure there can be peaceful coexistence. Suggesting that those who want to have a conversation should vacate isn't right. The area is not a movie theater. It is a pool area that happens to have a movie screen.

I think that the best solution is to show daytime movies in the theater that is mostly unused during the day. People who want to watch the movie can go and insist on a quiet venue without conversation, and a darkened theater for optimal viewing. At night, the pool area can be converted into a theater with no basis for complaint by sun worshipers. They have already had their time. Instead of trying to juggle a mixed use venue to the satisfaction of none, keep the uses separated but shared so that everyone gets their turn.

The problem that I have experienced on several of the ships is not that the volume is loud, it is painfully loud and I need to leave the area to get relief from the pain.
It was so loud on the Crown last month that I could hear it on my Caribe balcony and it sounded like whoever was next door had their TV blasting on high with the balcony door open. It was so bad that I had to go indoors. There was no peace on the balcony. That wasn't true the entire cruise but a couple of times is 2x too many.

It was so loud on the Crown last month that I could hear it on my Caribe balcony and it sounded like whoever was next door had their TV blasting on high with the balcony door open. It was so bad that I had to go indoors. There was no peace on the balcony. That wasn't true the entire cruise but a couple of times is 2x too many.

I had the exact same experience on my Caribe deck balcony at the end of last year on the Crown Princess. I shared my feelings with Customer Relations about the adverse affect it had while on our balcony & they only said they'd pass it on to the ship but obviously nothing has changed. :(

If we don't want to listen to whatever is playing on MUTS we go to another pool area. I would suggest everyone do the same.

When something is playing that I want to watch, I go back there and watch. There are several pool areas for you to choose from, at least on the Grand class ships.

This.

Too loud? I don't know. But unnecessary? Yes. The problem is that during the day, the main pool area is a mixed use venue where the uses are often incompatible. Some want to relax and talk about their dinner plans and it is their right to do so. Others want to watch and listen to the movie. Not sure there can be peaceful coexistence. Suggesting that those who want to have a conversation should vacate isn't right. The area is not a movie theater. It is a pool area that happens to have a movie screen.

I think that the best solution is to show daytime movies in the theater that is mostly unused during the day. People who want to watch the movie can go and insist on a quiet venue without conversation, and a darkened theater for optimal viewing. At night, the pool area can be converted into a theater with no basis for complaint by sun worshipers. They have already had their time. Instead of trying to juggle a mixed use venue to the satisfaction of none, keep the uses separated but shared so that everyone gets their turn.

Well stated and I agree 100%. Now, if only Princess would listen and change. We are meeting our TA today to book the Crown for Jan, 2014 for 14 days. At least it has several pools, maybe we can stay in the sun and avoid MUTs and further hearing loss.

We have been on many Princess cruises..we have not experienced the high level of noise. We often stay on Aloha deck, mid ship. I am sensitive to noise, but have been fortunate not to experience what the op has experienced.

I find that MUTS has often been drowned out by the people who surround me at the pool. Often times, it is difficult to read or to pay attention to the MUTS...so, I now just enjoy people watching or listening to the band that is currently playing. If I want silence, I go to my room or to one of the lounges that is quiet.

MUTS sucks, plain and simple!!!!

Agreed. I think we need to get away from the movie/tv aspect. I enjoy listening to music while at the pool, not a movie under a bright sun. For me, it doesn't lend itself to the "ESCAPE COMPLETELY" logo they use. Just my opinion so no one has to tell me I'm wrong :p

With that being said, it doesn't deter me from sailing on Princess, leaving tomorrow!!! But I do wish that they only did movies at night.

This.

Agree 101% Great post.

Fact remains that the area is generally packed with people during the day when the weather is favorable for outdoor activities...and a lot of these people are purchasing from the bar. Princess would be fools to change this, as it shows that people are utilizing the space AND spending money.

A handful of dissenters on a message board do not always represent the feelings of the majority. Now, if the area was empty and people weren't spending money at the bar, then Princess would have motivation to change. This simply doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. And I do believe that the propaganda for the new ship includes highlighting of MUTS, so obviously there is a preponderance of positive feedback for MUTS. Simple logic dictates that if it wasn't working on existing ships, they wouldn't have included it (and indeed, featured it) on the new product line. OR spent the money retro-fitting existing ships to include MUTS.

People vote with their pocketbook and so far Princess seems happy with their returns.

Too loud for me! MUD is by the pool but I think the chairs around the pools would be used no matter how loud it gets. People want the sun and pool. I don't think that MUD helps sells drinks by the pool very much

I have to agree. Main pool on every cruise line is packed on sea days, movie or no movie.

Fact remains that the area is generally packed with people during the day when the weather is favorable for outdoor activities...and a lot of these people are purchasing from the bar. Princess would be fools to change this, as it shows that people are utilizing the space AND spending money.

A handful of dissenters on a message board do not always represent the feelings of the majority. Now, if the area was empty and people weren't spending money at the bar, then Princess would have motivation to change. This simply doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. And I do believe that the propaganda for the new ship includes highlighting of MUTS, so obviously there is a preponderance of positive feedback for MUTS. Simple logic dictates that if it wasn't working on existing ships, they wouldn't have included it (and indeed, featured it) on the new product line. OR spent the money retro-fitting existing ships to include MUTS.

People vote with their pocketbook and so far Princess seems happy with their returns.

You clearly don't get it. It's the pool and the sun people are there for, not the movie. If that same movie were being shown in the peace and quiet of the theatre, those theatre seats would be empty at 2pm on a sunny day. And also remember that except for the three big girls, the other ships don't all have other outdoor and unshaded pool options. So of course there are crowds, but they aren't necessarily there because of MUTS but in spite of MUTS.

Archived