Panama Canal: line, direction, port or starboard, oceanview or balcony?

jocelysue

DH & I plan to take a full transit Panama Canal cruise in the spring of 2014. We are an elderly couple with some cruise experience. However, we are in a quandary as to which cruise line might provide the best experience on this particular cruise . We have set the maximum amount of fare at $3000pp, and that is really, the very upper limit.

We have been told that the West to East itinerary is to be preferred but no reasons have been given. Looking up posts on CC it would seem that a port side cabin is a better choice on the West to East leg whereas a starboard side might be more interesting were we to embark in Florida becaue that way we could see the sights along the shoreline.

Many posters taking this cruise talk about suites, etc. but we simply cannot afford that type of stateroom. Also we do not want an inside stateroom. My DH has some slight health problems so he spends time resting in the cabin on sea days and likes to see the light. We are wondering if a $400-$600 pp difference for a balcony vs outside cabin is worth it? If so, should the sun be a factor in our choice of side and what would be your suggestions?

We have cruised HAl & Princess recently & Cunard & RCI (RCCL) years ago.We have never cruised Celebrity nor any other line but are willing to try anything as this will most probably be our last cruise.That's one of the reasons we are seriously considering Celebrity.

We enjoy good food and good lectures. Dancing is of little importance to us but we do enjoy string quartets. The main dining room's menus are more important to us than buffets because DH has difficulty standing in line for a long time and carrying his food.

Sorry for this long post. Believe me I have consulted CC extensively but have not been able to find the answers to my particular questions. Thank you very much for the sound advice I'm sure many kind CCers will give me.

We have done both ways it just depends on the flights

i would start on the west coast & end in Florida ..just because it is a shorter flight home but that is just me

Fly in a day or more early

If you can afford a balcony that is nice but an outside is good & most people spend time up on deck or inside out of the heat

You really do not know which side of the ship will dock or or go through the locks on

You have all day so you can go from side to side or be up near the front of the ship for part of the transit

Find a ship/cruise line that fits your budget & choose from there

enjoy

Thanks ever so much for your answer. When choosing a stateroom I'm talking about the cruise itself and not the passage through the canal. We wonder if we're best off wathching the shore line r should thay not be a consideration and were we to choose a balcony, to get one out of direct sunlight.

We did that same full transit with HAL. (Actually I think it's really South to North, rather than West to East. If you look at a map you'll see why.) We really enjoyed it. We had a balcony cabin, but spent most of the day of the transit up on the top deck. It was incredibly hot though, but they were serving iced lemonade to the passengers up there. A full transit takes 10 hours. As for watching the shoreline during the rest of the cruise, a lot of the time the ship is too far out at sea for you to see the shoreline, so it doesn't really matter whether you go for port or starboard (we were port side). Hope you have a great time.

We have done several full canal cruises -- in both directions.

Going east to west (north to south) we prefer the port side. Going west to east (south to north) -- we prefer the starboard side. Just feel that the scenery it better -- also get the to see the Miraflores viewing platform and building-- sometimes there are people sitting out there watching the ships and freights going through the locks.. Many times we have watched the train going from coast to coast.

We like having the balcony so that we can go inside and cool off while watching the scenery. going through the locks you might like to be out on the bow -- remember -- it gets very hot and humid no matter what time of the year you go through the locks. The ship is moving at a slow speed -- thus no breeze.

DH & I plan to take a full transit Panama Canal cruise in the spring of 2014. We are an elderly couple with some cruise experience. However, we are in a quandary as to which cruise line might provide the best experience on this particular cruise . We have set the maximum amount of fare at $3000pp, and that is really, the very upper limit.

My suggestion would be to get the best cabin that you are comfortable with the price and then watch for drops practically daily in the fare up until you have to make final payment. Sometimes the fares really take a dive and yes, sometimes they go up:eek:!

We have been told that the West to East itinerary is to be preferred but no reasons have been given. Looking up posts on CC it would seem that a port side cabin is a better choice on the West to East leg whereas a starboard side might be more interesting were we to embark in Florida becaue that way we could see the sights along the shoreline.

Many people make the decision as to direction based on a couple of reasons. Some like East to West because you can add an hour at each of the time changes and many do not like loosing an hours sleep going West to East. The other big consideration is what is convenient to you in regards to your flights to join the ship or get home after the cruise. The Canal is equally rewarding in either direction, so whatever fits into your preferences.... no "preferred" direction in my opinion.

Any sights that you would see along the shoreline are brief or far, far in the distance.

Many posters taking this cruise talk about suites, etc. but we simply cannot afford that type of stateroom. Also we do not want an inside stateroom. My DH has some slight health problems so he spends time resting in the cabin on sea days and likes to see the light. We are wondering if a $400-$600 pp difference for a balcony vs outside cabin is worth it? If so, should the sun be a factor in our choice of side and what would be your suggestions?

Is it worth it... that's a hard one. For me I really don't care as I spend little time in the cabin or on the balcony, however I usually travel in the balcony cabin because of you know who;):D! For a West to East cruise I preferred port side as I am not a fan of afternoon sun, but I have had a cabin on the starboard side for that cruise as well and it was fine too.

We have cruised HAl & Princess recently & Cunard & RCI (RCCL) years ago.We have never cruised Celebrity nor any other line but are willing to try anything as this will most probably be our last cruise.That's one of the reasons we are seriously considering Celebrity.

I believe the lines you have mentioned would all do a good job and I am sure you would be pleased with Celebrity.

We enjoy good food and good lectures. Dancing is of little importance to us but we do enjoy string quartets. The main dining room's menus are more important to us than buffets because DH has difficulty standing in line for a long time and carrying his food.

Even though you did not mention NCL and lecturers are important to you... I have been told that they have done away with destination lecturers, don't know this from personal experience.... but you may wish to keep that in mind.

Sorry for this long post. Believe me I have consulted CC extensively but have not been able to find the answers to my particular questions. Thank you very much for the sound advice I'm sure many kind CCers will give me.

It's a great cruise... I'm sure you will enjoy!

I and some friends we made on board spent most of the day on deck. My wife spent most of the day in the topmost lounge with some ladies she met there who didn't like the heat.

Both places offered great views, the lounge is where I would go now, as I now have mobility problems and can't stand for much time.

The trip is interesting, enjoy it.

DW and I cruised the canal a few years ago. As soon as we got to the entrance to the canal on the Carribean side we were up on deck with everybody. As the transit progressed, we were all over the ship . There is so much to see on both sides of the canal. Limiting yourself to a port or starboard balcony will cut off half the magnificent journy you are taking. The balcony I would choose would be an aft one if you plan on watching the complete transit from there ( its an 8 hour trip). As you sail through the canal here is where you will get the best views from any balcony.

I agree...you must get out and about and view the canal from all sides and deck levels to really experience it.

As far as being at sea, you are unlikely to be close enough to shore to see anything, so side of ship doesn't really matter!

Just off the Celebrity Century Panama Canal Cruise.

It is an itinerary that I think everyone should do once in their lifetime. The canal transit was awesome. A true made-made wonder of the world. I like the East to West journey becuase we gained a hour going through the time zones. Also loved the sea days between port days. A very relaxing cruise.

As others have said pick the balcony room you can afford. We had a lectures each day about the canal. On transit day the lecturer gave ongoing observations over the PA system all day long. It was very imformative.

Cehck out the many youtube videos of the transit of cruise ships. It will give you an idea of what goes on on transit day.

If truly is your last cruise, what a fabulous pick you have made.:) Enjoy the 15 days. I loved the MDR for a sit down breakfast and lunch. The food in the MDR was very good. The service on Celebrity is outstanding in every ares.

I agree...you must get out and about and view the canal from all sides and deck levels to really experience it.

So true!

Familiarize yourself with the Panama Canal itinerary in advance and also with the layout of your ship so that you know where the best viewing places are and which sights to be looking for as you travel along.

During the transit throughout the day there will be places where the attractions to be seen are on the port side, or on the starboard side, or at the front or back of the ship, high, low or mid-level.

They should give you a schedule for the day's transit so that you will know what is coming up next and so that you can give yourselves plenty of time to get to the best viewing location for the next attraction.

The ship moves slowly and there is no need to rush to get from place to place, but the most popular viewing areas do tend to get very crowded.

For example, it is best to be up on the open top deck to get the full, sweeping views when passing under the Centennial Bridge and Bridge of the Americas;

up at the front of the ship for the approach to at least one set of locks;

at the back of the ship for close-up views of the gates closing behind you; on the side of the ship down by the water for eye-level close-up views of the mules.

They usually open the helipad on the bow and let passengers go out there on most ships, which is a great place to be when approaching and entering locks, unless it is unusually hot out there with the sun beating down.

For viewing the construction of the new locks, you need a view of the port side at one location and of the starboard side at another.

For people with mobility issues who cannot move around easily, probably the best place to be is in the center of the most forward viewing lounge up high at the front of the ship. There you can sit in air-conditioned comfort. But that is a place that gets very crowded because so many other people want to be there too.

Also, plan your meal times between the attractions along the way so that you don't miss out on a sight you want to see because you were in the dining room or buffet busy eating at that time.

My two cents: for coastal views, which side is not that big an issue - you're usually pretty far away from the coasts. We were happy with a starboard cabin on the E to W transit (lI wanted to avoid hot blinding sun on the window.) And you have LOTS of time during the transit to go from place to place on the ship - there are three locks, then lake transit, and then three more locks.

However, I've said this before: we had not only an ocean view, but one on the lowest passenger deck. It was VERY entertaining to spend time watching the wall go up and down past our window.

Barb in so cal

We only have done the partial transit. Just that amount of the canal was amazing. We plan to do the full transit someday. We did make sure to enjoy the scenery from many different places on the ship. It was very interesting to go to the inside lower decks, and look out the windows to see the side of the lock, down under. We moved around throughout the transit and had a very good time. You will definitely enjoy the cruise no matter what type of cabin, or which cruiseline you go on.

I prefer the aft cabins for a really great view of the locks and everything. I also prefer an east to west itinerary as you gain an hour of sleep for three nights rather than losing an hour.

I've done four transits of the canal, on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity and really prefer Celebrity because of the better food and service and the more upscale and elegant atmosphere.

We are taking our first Panama Canal cruise in a couple of months so I can't help with which side is best.

We are sailing on Celebrity which, next to Azamara, is our favorite line. What I can tell you is how comfortable the M class ships are and I truly think you would appreciate the ease of travel. This class is now medium sized, and easy to navigate once onboard. Except for the ocean view cabins on the lowest deck the windows are quite large. If a balcony fell into your price range, fine, if not an ocean view will not disappoint.

As others have said there are multiple viewing areas and there will be places for you and your husband to see the locks.

The best way to do a canal cruise is by reading about the history of the mammouth achievement. There are movies too. We just took a five session course on the Canal by a woman who wrote her thesis on the Canal and feel ready to experience the transit. Our national public broadcasting network has done programs on the Canal. I'd imagine that the Canadian network has done the same. Many of these programs are shown often and are available to rent as well. "Land Between The Seas" seems to be a reader's favorite.

Good luck. I wish you both well and smooth sailing.

Oh, and as an extra bonus you also get great views of the Panama City skyline on the Pacific side of the canal, either shortly after you leave the canal, or before you enter it.

Whether the Panama City skyline appears on the port or starboard side depends on which direction you are traveling.

If you bring binoculars with you, that is a good time to have them ready.

I forgot to include this recommendation when I responded earlier..... When you looking at the itineraries, look for one that includes a full day stop in Panama either before or after your transit. It's really a shame to go all the way to the Canal and not see a little of the Panamanian countryside..... from a land point of view. Many great tours, you can build on the Canal experience or some of historical/cultural aspects.

Having done both full and partial transits, I would recommend the partial transit. The problem for me was there were too many sea days on the full transit. You will go through 3 of the 6 locks into Gatun Lake and go out through the same three.

As a shore excursion, there are small ship cruises that will take you the entire way, and also there is a train you can take to the Pacific Side. Unfortunately, it had rained heavily before we got there and the lake was flooded as well as the surrounding roads.

I've also done both a full and partial transit and we personally preferred the partial transit from Ft. Lauderdale. I don't know your reasons for choosing a full transit, but you might want to consider a partial transit for price, airfare and a less stressful shorter plane ride. Partial transit does not make a difference which side of ship your cabin is on because you will be going one way half the cruise and the other way back.

When choosing a balcony cabin, you might want to consider things like glass or metal bottom to balcony. If the balcony has metal on the bottom, you might as well take the OV. Also, some balconies do not have lounge chairs and some balconies do not have coverings and shade.

We did the partial transit on Holland America Volondam. We had our first and last balcony cabin. We found it too hot and humid to sit outside on the balcony. That being said, in your circumstances I would take a balcony. The view through the doors was amazing for the entire cruise, even if it was the ocean. Since you say you will be spending a lot of time in the cabin I would splurge for the balcony view. Often the OV windows are above the bed. If you opt for an OV, make sure the cabin arrangement is such that you can get to and sit by the window. If you find that OV cabin where you can look out the window, you can take that and watch for price decreases on balcony cabins. Cruise lines are more willing to let you go up a grade especially if there is a small price increase, than give you a refund if prices go down.

For the actual transit, I did not like the view from the balcony and we chose to spend our time roaming the ship. This can be very tiring. You should look for a ship that has a lounge with a viewing area towards the front. Get there early and spend the day. For the partial transit, the ship stopped in Gatlin Lake and 75% of the people got off for excursions. On the return trip we had all the viewing areas practically to ourselves. I remember our 85 year old aunt planted herself in a forward facing lounge and enjoyed the transit tremendously. And yes she had a balcony cabin.(But she did not like the food). If you are given the choice of an excursion, I vote for saving your money and energy and enjoy the included transit on the cruise ship.

We did the full transit on the Island Princess. We had an inside cabin, which I am not suggesting to you, but like our first cruise we roamed around the ship. I don't remember that forward facing lounge. We spent a lot of time in the inside buffet seating area where we could watch the transit. There are many outside viewing areas where you have to stand, but that gets tiring pretty quickly.

To help choose a cruise line, I would also consider the ports that the ship is stopping at and whether there are any excursions that you are interested in taking at the different ports. There may be a port on a specific cruise that your are more interested in seeing.

Which cruise line to take is another long post. We've done them all, HAL, Princess, RCCL, X, Carnival and Cunard. I think you would really like Celebrity.

Archived