Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

Ok, I will take one for the team, What is a fish knife, I have no idea, and I would hate to be a ship with some fine people who would look down on me for being a hick for not knowing.

You mean your everyday table setting doesn't look like this?

[ATTACH]257542[/ATTACH]

This 208 piece antique Tiffany service for 12 is available at M S Rau Antiques in New Orleans (if you are ever there it is absolutely worth a visit to drool...) for only $128,500 (did I mention the drooling part???).

[PS - I have no idea what most of these pieces are for...]

You almost never see fish knives on princess any more...

I asked one waitress about this, and she said she didn't use

them because most passengers didn't know what they were.

That may have been a head waiters decision, the Coral wait staff always put down a fish knife.

I guess this qualifies as snobbery. We were lucky enough to get chosen for the Chef's Table and were beyond thrilled. While having our incredible appetizers in the galley with the head chef and Generoso (wonderful wonderful man) before dinner, one of our fellow diners said rather loudly that he felt that the cheesecake throughout the ship wasn't consistent. A deep silence followed that remark. But as someone remarked to me later, just how much cheesecake did he eat to make that judgment. :rolleyes:

On the subject of the card, we never thought about it until someone seemed shocked that we were "only" gold cards. The way we were stared at after that remark made me wonder if we they thought we were going to pop out with two heads! Oh the shame ROFL

On that same cruise one of the entertainers wives went to the Pursers Desk with a card issue. Apparently the entertainers always get the blue cards and she was embarassed by this and demanded, in a very over the top way, that they be issued a black card. She was denied. :p DH being a bit of devil decided right then and there that he was going to demand a blue card for every cruise just for the fun of it.

It wasn't until reading this thread that I actually ever thought about the different colored cards. I did not know what they meant, I thought they just had a variety of colors just for looks.

Really, it means that much to people? I guess we must have some other colored card on Princess--blue?--since we are Platinum. The only reason I know, or care, is the free internet minutes.

If you're showing off your card color in front on me, it won't mean a thing!

I find it amusing that the only current thread that has more posts than the one about the new super-elite level is this thread about snobs. :D

edit: oops! There are more about the Solticization of the new Royal.

(But I'm still amused)

LOL made my day :D

He told us a "lady" at the next table wanted us to move so she could have a better view of the other diners; we were blocking her view. Yes we gave her the view she wanted and everytime I looked over at her table and caught her eye, I'd give her a big smile and a vigorous five finger wave.

You used more fingers in your wave than I might have. :)

my parents, my mom's two sisters and their husbands went on a cruise with other family members and friends. the sister of one of my uncles apparently went on her cruise just to judge others. she even took pictures of other people so she could post them on facebook and mock them on there. what a horrible, snobby person!

This may take me a while.

A couple of years ago we were waiting in the platinum/elite lounge ( really just a room with chairs) and we were close to the roped off area where we would board the ship. When they announced boarding for Elites, we picked up our carryons and headed to board the ship. no hurry, just casually walking to the line. As we got to the lady checking cards a "gentleman" dressed in a beret and wearing an ascot and carrying a walking stick (not a cane) stuck the stick in front of me and said "step out of the way sir, this if for elite passengers only and you certainly do not qualify"

I looked him in the eye and said that, indeed, I am an elite, and if he did not remove his little stick it would become a permanent part of his anatomy.

He huffed and puffed and backed off. There was a smattering of applause from the folks behind us.

Ok, I will take one for the team, What is a fish knife, I have no idea, and I would hate to be a ship with some fine people who would look down on me for being a hick for not knowing.

On a cruise in 2008 One of our table mates a lovely lady with no nastyness in her mentioned that we had never seen a fish knife and fork although lots of us ordered fish. The nest day there were fish servers for everyone who had fish - the waiters just said they were not normally asked for.

On the cruise recently on the Diamond we did get fish knives and forks if you ordered fish so it probably depends on the head waiters orders.

Remember in the days before stainless steel the fish forks would pick up the smell of fish which is also why they were used separately for that dish.:D:D

I find it amusing that the only current thread that has more posts than the one about the new super-elite level is this thread about snobs. :D

edit: oops! There are more about the Solticization of the new Royal.

(But I'm still amused)

Yes, but:

Elite, 220 posts in 2 months--

Royal, 451 posts in 10 months--

Snobs, 361 posts in just 4 days!!

:);)

After reading all these post I can only shake my head in disgust that human beings can act so immature on cruise ships. Beleive me, nobody cares other than yourself that you have cruised hundreds of hours at sea and have reached your "status". You are very easily noticed on the cruise ships as you stick out like a sore thumb. My husband and I took our daughter, son in law, and three grandchildren on the Disney Dream last year for their very first cruise. My three year old granddaughter and I spend some quality time together walking around the ship looking for the Princesses. The Captain walked by as I was standing with her by one of the windows and stopped and talked with us for a long time. He even took a picture with her and held her then went on his way. He didn't check to see if we were elite passengers and believe me they don't give a rat's a.. if you are or not. Personally, I have not had to deal with any cruise passenger who walk around with the "sense of entitlement" written all over their faces because I wouldn't. It's sad that society has come to this where one human believes that they are any better than another human being. I have more respect for the homeless man sleeping in a park than those passengers on ships.

This may take me a while.

A couple of years ago we were waiting in the platinum/elite lounge ( really just a room with chairs) and we were close to the roped off area where we would board the ship. When they announced boarding for Elites, we picked up our carryons and headed to board the ship. no hurry, just casually walking to the line. As we got to the lady checking cards a "gentleman" dressed in a beret and wearing an ascot and carrying a walking stick (not a cane) stuck the stick in front of me and said "step out of the way sir, this if for elite passengers only and you certainly do not qualify"

I looked him in the eye and said that, indeed, I am an elite, and if he did not remove his little stick it would become a permanent part of his anatomy.

He huffed and puffed and backed off. There was a smattering of applause from the folks behind us.

As I have previously posted, I don't think I have ever seen anyone behaving truly snobbishly on a ship--rude and uninformed, yes, but snobbish, no. This post, however, reminded me of an truly snobbish incident that happened to me in Portland (PDX) airport.

At the PDX United counter, the 1k line (the highest status) is to the far right, the Premier line (mid status) is to its left, divided by a rope held up between stanchions. I used to fly down to PDX and back to Seattle every Wednesday and had acquired 1K status.

One Wednesday I was standing in the 1k line next to three very well-dressed (think Armani suites and power ties) young men in their mid 30s were standing to my left in the Premier line. One of these "gentlemen" looked at me and said, "That line is reserved only for people who fly over 100,000 miles a year". I smiled as sweetly as I could and said, "Yes I know. That's why I am over here and you are over there."

I don't often indulge in sarcasm, but this occasion really did warrant it.

What I like about Princess is that what level of membership you have in the Captain's Circle, from first cruise to elite, or what type cabin you have booked, it makes no difference on board for 98% of what passengers can do unlike certain other lines where there are a number of restricted areas based on status or type cabin.

Areas where there is a difference on Princess are:

a) Sabatini's for breakfast for suite passengers

b) nightly lounge for two hours for suite/elite/platinum passengers

c) priority for using tenders to shore for elite and suite passengers

d) Only first time Princess cruisers are excluded from the Captain's Circle party

Other than those few things, every passenger can do everything or eat anywhere or use any appropriate facility on board. Some of these may cost less for Elite passengers, but everyone can do them.

I would rather cruise with Onslow :D

Hey look out for me I always

Wear my best Caribbean style vests,

(Hyacinth hates them)

But we like the colours, and I always

Stay in our room to eat on formal nights

:D

Knowledge of previous cruises on Princess is beneficial if you are Elite, or Gold. It doesn't make you snobbish.

For example, my wife and I enjoy attending the Newlywed/Not-so-Newlywed game. After seeing it once, there is not a chance we will ever volunteer for it, but we love watching it. On our last cruise, there was a family where the daughters volunteered their parents for it. Apparently, they had never seen it before. We happened to be seated with them for lunch in the MDR the next day (the whole family), and I asked if they were the ones from last night. I asked if this was their first Princess cruise, they acknowledged that it was. I think I might have said something about learning much more about your parents than you ever wanted to know, they agreed.

What I like about Princess is that what level of membership you have in the Captain's Circle, from first cruise to elite, or what type cabin you have booked, it makes no difference on board for 98% of what passengers can do unlike certain other lines where there are a number of restricted areas based on status or type cabin.

Areas where there is a difference on Princess are:

a) Sabatini's for breakfast for suite passengers

b) nightly lounge for two hours for suite/elite/platinum passengers

c) priority for using tenders to shore for elite and suite passengers

d) Only first time Princess cruisers are excluded from the Captain's Circle party

Other than those few things, every passenger can do everything or eat anywhere or use any appropriate facility on board. Some of these may cost less for Elite passengers, but everyone can do them.

We were Gold members on our recent cruise around South America. We were invited to the Captains Circle Party for Gold members in the Princess Theater at 4.30pm, where the Cruise Director-JJ(possible ex 2nd hand car salesman) greeted everyone.

We were then treated to a Sales pitch about the new Royal Princess, the Captain said a few words but never circulated, well in a theater that was impossible. 20 minutes later, we were ushered out, given a voucher at the door to buy a drink to the value of $7.25.

It was a shame really, as a lot of people turned up in formal dresscode, thinking it to be something different. Changing ways of Princess I think!

[quote name=boone2;36718986

Yes but Wanda at the same Chef's table the woman sitting next to me barely ate a bite' date=' she didn't think it was a decent enough standard in fact in her review she stated that the food on the ship was very sub par and then complained about the quality of the paper the patter was written on:confused:

Terry[/quote]

Are you kidding me? It truly does take all kinds. Some people really know how to take the fun out. LOL

I have enjoyed these post so much, especially the wine snobs. I live in the Napa Valley(Just an ordinary person) yet see so many snobs it's not funny. They all try to out do each other on their knowledge of wine. When they start yacking about their knowledge, I always remind them to drink the wine that they like even if they prefer 2 buck chuck(trader joes wine). I have been to 3 chefs tables, and have been lucky enough to be with only the non-snobs. If someone did try to be a snob, I would ignore them just the same way I did back in my snobby high school. BTW, my favorite wineries here are not the big well known fancy places, but the small mom and pop wineries such as Bennett Lane winery or Cunard vineyards.

Also ANY person that says the food is lousy at the chefs table is out of there mind! I think Princess does a beautiful job at their chefs table and is comparable to many fine restaurants. My number one hobby BTW other then cruising is Cooking, so not to brag, but I do know a bit about good food.

I have enjoyed these post so much, especially the wine snobs. I live in the Napa Valley(Just an ordinary person) yet see so many snobs it's not funny. They all try to out do each other on their knowledge of wine. When they start yacking about their knowledge, I always remind them to drink the wine that they like even if they prefer 2 buck chuck(trader joes wine). I have been to 3 chefs tables, and have been lucky enough to be with only the non-snobs. If someone did try to be a snob, I would ignore them just the same way I did back in my snobby high school. BTW, my favorite wineries here are not the big well known fancy places, but the small mom and pop wineries such as Bennett Lane winery or Cunard vineyards.

Also ANY person that says the food is lousy at the chefs table is out of there mind! I think Princess does a beautiful job at their chefs table and is comparable to many fine restaurants. My number one hobby BTW other then cruising is Cooking, so not to brag, but I do know a bit about good food.

Try calling the grapes wine berries and watch the heads spin.

I've never done the chef's table but I think people need to consider the MDR more of a banquet hall and not a 5 star restaurant. Considering how many people they serve at once, it's amazing the quality we get.

As far as people sending food back, I don't think it's rude or snobbish. 'Rude' and 'snob' are determined by attitude. You can enjoy your meal and still make snide comments and that would be considered snobbish.

BTW, my favorite pairing is an empty glass and an open bottle.

1) Timetraveler.... I went to Trader Joes near Chicago for the first time in November (we don't have them around here)... two buck chuck is now $2.98......

2) Hello, my name is Jan and I am addicted to this thread..... I search it out and read it before anyother thread on CC.... have even started noting the last page read so I can get right to the new stuff....:(

3) One thing I keep thinking about is how quickly those level snobs forget they too had a first cruise once......

4)... I never even noticed people had different colored cruise cards... I must have been having too much fun to pay attention.

5) On my next cruise I am going to wear a lanyard with an old Holiday Inn room key card in it.:p

Jan

I was reading some of the posts about sending food back being considered snobbish. I do not think it is necessarily snobbish to sent food back if you have a good reason and you are not a jerk about it.

DW will absolutely not eat meat unless it is well done, so there have been times that she has sent back steak multiple times because it is not cooked right. She is always nice about it, but does send it back every time if it is not well done. It is a big deal to her as she would not eat it otherwise. Some people are very particular about certain foods and I am no exception as I am a strict vegetarian. So things on the surface may seen snobby that are not always the case.

I feel I have to comment here. Some disabilities are not obvious. My daughter has a debilitating pain disorder (RSD if you want to Google it) and depending on whether she has a flare-up or not, needs space for her leg when seated. Most of the time, she looks like a perfectly normal young woman in her 30's who can walk well but trust me, you wouldn't wish this on your worst enemy. Being cramped in a seat without being able to stretch her leg could trigger a flare-up and cause her a pain level of 10 on a scale of 1-10. She gets dirty and nasty looks when she parks in a handicapped space. If they only knew. I've learned to not judge a book by it's cover. :(

Pam - so very true! I have COPD and am on oxygen. At times I can do without it and walk fairly well. At other times I can't walk across the room without it. I have gotten some dirty looks when taken to the head of lines at embarkation!:D

I have enjoyed these post so much, especially the wine snobs. I live in the Napa Valley(Just an ordinary person) yet see so many snobs it's not funny. They all try to out do each other on their knowledge of wine. When they start yacking about their knowledge, I always remind them to drink the wine that they like even if they prefer 2 buck chuck(trader joes wine).

I really detest the wine snobs. We also live in a wine area (10 minutes from Edna Valley, 45 minutes to both Paso Robles and Santa Ynez Valley), and we see our fair share of them too. I enjoy wine with dinner and usually work my way through the wine list while cruising, but I'll never make a big production over it. I have a very simple philosophy regarding wine - Drink what you like and like what you drink.

Archived