Ultimate Cruise Snob Stories

nhcruiser

I have a good friend that I flew with for many years and he once had a nasty, stuffy, old, fa#t of a passenger call him over and say Take this meal away, it isn't fit for pigs". My friend leaned over to him and said, "shall I bring you one that is?"

Pia,

Have fun on your next out cruise with Dr M.

I have a good friend that I flew with for many years and he once had a nasty, stuffy, old, fa#t of a passenger call him over and say Take this meal away, it isn't fit for pigs". My friend leaned over to him and said, "shall I bring you one that is?"

Pia,

Thanks E. Will we be seeing you in SF when we disembark on March 16th?

Oh, come now. Americans use the eagle as their national symbol. Texans use a star. Canadians use --- the leaf of a tree. I mean, not even the entire tree, just one leaf. How then do you expect to earn any respect! :)

Bill

True. But from her first reaction of shock I was really expecting her to ask who was taking care of our igloo and sled dogs while we were away on vacation!;) ...............And don't think for a minute we haven't been asked about this before.:eek:

Pia,

Thanks E. Will we be seeing you in SF when we disembark on March 16th?

True. But from her first reaction of shock I was really expecting her to ask who was taking care of our igloo and sled dogs while we were away on vacation!;) ...............And don't think for a minute we haven't been asked about this before.:eek:

Was it the old Molson's ad with the funny questions in it. "My friend Judy lives in Canada. Do you know her?" I'm half Canadian and I hear this silly stuff all the time. :) Once we sat with some people at lunch, DH having told them we are from California, just like them. The wife started in on Quebec and the horrible things they do there to English speakers (such as fines and prison!) When I piped up that Canada has two official languages, she asked me if I had been to Canada. I said, "Well, yes, I was born there." She said, "In Quebec?" I said "No, in Ontario." She looked down her nose at me and said, "Well, then, you really don't know do you? I heard this straight from my friend whose hairdresser has a sister in Montreal, and I guess she'd know more about it than you would."

Place snobs get my goat every time.

Dunno if this actually qualifies as a cruise snob story...

We landed in 3 Chinese ports, & at Dalian there was a drum & bugle corps performing with dancing dragons. While we were watching (& enjoying), a Grumpy Gus came up & complained that the band sounded just like the last port's, & besides he didn't like Chinese music. Pete looked him in the eye & said "We're in China, what do you expect, Beethoven's Fifth?"

Steve

Just tongue in cheek here, but for some, anyone not from Texas is a foreigner. After all, it is the Republic of Texas! ;)

:D

This is too funny. Sunset, I feel you there, I'm from Alaska.

This bit of snobbery is a bit perplexing to me, as I've never met an unfriendly Texan. Maybe they assumed a canadian wouldn't be interested, or maybe have a hard time understanding the conversation. When my southern grandmother (Yes, my father made it to Alaska via Arkansas...I know :p) anyway, when my southern grandmother left the south, she felt self-conscious of her accent and tried not to use her southern vocabulary.

This is too funny. Sunset, I feel you there, I'm from Alaska.

This bit of snobbery is a bit perplexing to me, as I've never met an unfriendly Texan. Maybe they assumed a canadian wouldn't be interested, or maybe have a hard time understanding the conversation. When my southern grandmother (Yes, my father made it to Alaska via Arkansas...I know :p) anyway, when my southern grandmother left the south, she felt self-conscious of her accent and tried not to use her southern vocabulary.

It's strange what some people believe about the north.....:rolleyes:

Come to think of it, maybe she ignored us because she couldn't understand our accent, eh?:D

Dunno if this actually qualifies as a cruise snob story...

We landed in 3 Chinese ports, & at Dalian there was a drum & bugle corps performing with dancing dragons. While we were watching (& enjoying), a Grumpy Gus came up & complained that the band sounded just like the last port's, & besides he didn't like Chinese music. Pete looked him in the eye & said "We're in China, what do you expect, Beethoven's Fifth?"

Steve

Sort of like the person who took a Princess excursion in San Juan to the El Yunque rain forest.

She came back and complained it was a horrible excursion. There were too many trees and it rained.

I hope no one finds out that I heal computers - the nice dinner conversation would get hijacked into a tech support session (and pure boredom for everyone but me and my newfound 'client')... It happens all the time and I can't stop myself from helping! :o

I guess I also need a clever euphemism for what I do, like the school principal, architect and other "Incognito Professionals" use.

Rick

Rick -- Try this -- I am an exterminator. I remove bugs from electronic devices. Also, I take care of ID ten T problems - ( Translation---IDIOT)

OK, that comment opens up something new. How 'bout listing the types of snobs?

Please note that just because one has appreciates or has the items listed below, snobbery arises only when flaunted in such a way as to diminish others ...

1) Place snobs (I've been to more or better places than you)

2) Captain's Circle status snobs

3) Old money snobs

4) New money snobs

5) Acting like they've got money snobs

6) Food snobs

7) Wine snobs

8) Beer snobs

9) Water snobs (Evian, Perrier, has to be bottled, etc)

10) Cruise line snobs (Princess, Cunard, Costa, RCI, NCL, etc)

11) Cabin type and location snobs

12) Jewelry snobs

13) Style snobs

14) Name dropping snobs

15) Geographical snobs (we "name your country/city" are the best)

16) Number of cruise days snobs

17) ????

I so agree. The people I have met from Texas have been the friendliest people ever! I so enjoy their company.

Just a note on stereotypes. Our last cruise on Carnival we were talking to a buffet server who, upon us telling him we were from Florida, USA, asked us if we had a pool and how we kept the allegators out of it. It seemed he had seen on National Geographic that gators roamed all over Florida, attacking pets and people all the time.:D:eek:

8) Beer snobs

I freely admit to being a beer snob. There is good beer, and there is bad beer and I'm not afraid to let people know the difference between the two. If you happen to disagree with me, you're clearly incapable of telling the difference.

And... at the risk of taking this thread in an entirely new direction, I feel the need to relay a story of my own beer snobbishness. A buddy of mine who grew up on the East Coast kept bringing Heineken to our football tailgate parties. Finally, I said "Dude, why is it that everybody from the East coast seems to think that Heineken is good beer? It smells like skunk pee".

OK, now throw bricks and garbage at me for being a beer snob. I can take it. Just don't make me drink Heineken.

One woman from NY asked us incredulously "you have lasagne in Australia?'. Um, yes, its an Italian dish.

...and Natalie Imbruglia is an Australian dish! :D

(would have loved to see that woman's expression trying to get her head around that)

OK, that comment opens up something new. How 'bout listing the types of snobs?

Please note that just because one has appreciates or has the items listed below, snobbery arises only when flaunted in such a way as to diminish others ...

1) Place snobs (I've been to more or better places than you)

2) Captain's Circle status snobs

3) Old money snobs

4) New money snobs

5) Acting like they've got money snobs

6) Food snobs

7) Wine snobs

8) Beer snobs

9) Water snobs (Evian, Perrier, has to be bottled, etc)

10) Cruise line snobs (Princess, Cunard, Costa, RCI, NCL, etc)

11) Cabin type and location snobs

12) Jewelry snobs

13) Style snobs

14) Name dropping snobs

15) Geographical snobs (we "name your country/city" are the best)

16) Number of cruise days snobs

17) Profession snobs

18) Education snobs

I'm sure there are lots more. :rolleyes:

A few years ago we were fortunate enough to take the old Regal on a cruise that was going to Hawaii and Midway Island. (Some anniversary of some kind of battle there:)) We were sitting at a table with a "gentleman" who insisted that he knew everything about Midway since he landed there on a couple of flights to Viet Nam. After a couple of nights of non stop bragging by him, my wife asked me why I did not tell him that not only did I outrank him but that I had served for over a year on Midway before serving in Viet Nam. I told my wife that I would leave that to the gentleman, who was also at our table, to do. This gentleman had served at Midway during the Battle of Midway in 1942.

Sometimes it is better to just sit and listen, before making a fool of yourself. Nuff said.

But, really? Why is that snobbish, unless of course you are either the author of the program, or the wife/husband of the programmer...and use people's signatures as an excuse to brag about that.

I know I am showing my age, but have NO clue about "tapatalk". But enjoying this thread immensely!

Sue

Was it the old Molson's ad with the funny questions in it. "My friend Judy lives in Canada. Do you know her?" I'm half Canadian and I hear this silly stuff all the time. :) Once we sat with some people at lunch, DH having told them we are from California, just like them. The wife started in on Quebec and the horrible things they do there to English speakers (such as fines and prison!) When I piped up that Canada has two official languages, she asked me if I had been to Canada. I said, "Well, yes, I was born there." She said, "In Quebec?" I said "No, in Ontario." She looked down her nose at me and said, "Well, then, you really don't know do you? I heard this straight from my friend whose hairdresser has a sister in Montreal, and I guess she'd know more about it than you would."

I would be more aghast at her pride of ignorance. People like this are incorrigible and don't deserve your time.

Sue

I know I am showing my age, but have NO clue about "tapatalk". But enjoying this thread immensely!

Sue

Tapatalk is simply an easy way to access forums on a smartphone or tablet. But good grief, saying that someone is a snob because they keep the "tapatalk signature" in their posts is ridiculous. I know that when I use it, the virtual keyboard is pretty difficult to type on and inserts all kinds of weird things, so I keep it to explain why sometimes my posts dont look all pretty. But even if that wasn't the case, why on earth is that a snob thing anyway?

Which I think leads me to say that people can attribute "snob" behaviours in instances where that simply isn't the case.

On one of my recent cruises a friend and I were seated at a large table for dinner. One of the others at the table was a loud obnoxious guy. He bought a round of shots for the whole table and talked incessantly about how much money he had.

We switched tables the next night and I'm now Facebook friends with two of the people we ended up dining with the rest of the cruise.

On another cruise, a different friend and I were on a shore excursion with a very nice couple. They were friendly and down to earth and super interesting to talk to. Towards the end of the day the guy finally mentioned that he was the owner of a well known national brand of popsicle and they were staying in an expensive aft suite. The info was never said in a bragging way, it was just part of the conversation about our jobs and the cabins on the ship. You can't always judge a book by its cover. Still, too bad we didn't become better friends :D:eek:

I've met people like that. My standard reply is, "Gee, I'm an MBA. Tell you what. I'll call you Doctor and you can call me Master."

That's a good one. On our cards, I put DMA after my name, when asked, I easily reply, "doesn't mean anything".

I can't stand place snobs. There is something good about every place I've been and the people therein.

But my favorite place snob story happened to a personal friend a few years ago. She was working as a reservation clerk at a hotel in our city (Greenville, South Carolina). A secretary from New York city called to make a reservation for her boss, who was scheduled to attend a convention here, and had never been here before.

After all was set up, she snippily asked my friend "Tell me, do you have inside restrooms at the hotel?" With a quicker wit than I brandish, she put on her best sweet Southern drawl and replied; "Why, yes, ma'am we do. But if that is a problem, I'm quite sure we can find him someone to show him how to use it."

Sort of like the person who took a Princess excursion in San Juan to the El Yunque rain forest.

She came back and complained it was a horrible excursion. There were too many trees and it rained.

OMG that one truly made me laugh loudly out loud!!!!!!

Hahahaha

Cheers, Denise

Hubbie and I were on a cruise to Alaska a few years ago. While sitting in a lounge I heard a very familiar accent...Texan. Now I am a 7th generation Texan, and knowing that most Texans are outgoing and friendly, I asked her, "May I ask what part of Texas you're from?" Austin was the reply and we chatted for a few minutes, then she asked, "Where do you live now?" I replied, "Just north of San Francisco." She widened her eyes and sharply turned her back to me. I didn't hear the disgusted "harump" that surely accompanied the look of disgust.

Archived