Wonderful Copenhagen

I am still stuck trying to find the right hotel...any help would be appreciated. There are 7 of us, 4 adults, 2 children under the age of 11 and a 12 year old a few of the hotels I have inquired into want us to take 3 rooms for a group that size and that is price prohibitive since we need one night pre cruise and hoped for 3 nights post cruise , does anyone know of a hotel that has rooms to accomodate our family, 4 in one room and 3 in the other thats in a good location for walking and touring esp after the cruise. I cant even get beyond this point so far.....thanks so much

jan

Hi

We were a family of 5 that had booked originally 1 room at the Copenhagen Star Hotel but decided we needed 2 bathrooms. You can also check Hotel Maritime where we ended up with 2 rooms, but I know they also have rooms for 3 and 4 people unless they are sold out.

Linda

From Nyhavn you take the metro from Kongens Nytorv metrostation towards Vanløse (both M1 and M2) and get off at Nørreport.

From here you take S-train line B towards Holte or Hillerød (weekends), the train departs every 10th minute.

You now get off at Sorgenfri station.

From here you can walk 750 meters in 10 minutes time or take bus 191 that departs every 30th minute.

The bus departs at XX:14 and XX:44.

The train trip from Nørreport to Sorgenfri takes 20 minutes and it leaves at XX:00, XX:10, XX:20 etc.

Many thanks again DV! It's always a case of "try to see as much as we can the limited time we have" and with your help in planning it makes it more possible!:)

At what time did you board. I'm aiming for an early bus say around 0919 hopefully before the bulk of the cruise passengers stat towards the ship.

Sorry it took so long to respond. Tapatalk on my phone lost all the passwords like it frequently does, and I didn't have my iPad with me in the ports.

If the search function is working, you can see that DV gave me (as well as many others, I'm sure) a link to the bus timetable, as well as which busses go all the way to UNICEF. We left our AirBnB rental near Forum st around 11 am and rode the metro to Kongens Nytorv. The bus was leaving by the time we crossed the street, but he got the red light and let more of us on. I'm guessing that was in the 11:15 timeframe.

To answer the other poster, there were seats available on the rear of the bus. The problem is there wasn't much space for luggage up there. Understandably, passengers wanted to be near their luggage so we stood in the aisles. If your mobility-restricted passenger can manage stairs easily, I recommend that person go to the back with carry-on or no luggage while the other stays in the lower area with the big bags. It's not a perfect scenario, but it works very well, especially considering city buses aren't really designed to move hundreds of passengers with big bags.

We disembarked at 9 today and decided to take the long way because our flight isn't until 3:40 pm. We exited the terminal at 9:10 and arrived at the Nordhavn station by 9:50 with a light to moderate walking pace. The weather was beautiful today, but I wouldn't try the walk in the rain or with people who have trouble walking.

I couldn't log in to Tapatalk at the port, leaving me to rely on my memory. We intended to ride to Østerport and then take the regional train, but a couple in the station said they thought Nørreport then Metro was a better option. FYI, the ticket machine is not near the elevator; it's on the other end of the platform. I couldn't remember the usage of the klippekort and decided to just buy two adult tickets to the airport zone. Somewhere I'm sure DV is shaking his head at me for ignoring his good advice.

We arrived at Nørreport, where the elevator took us up to the street. There were stairs to the metro, but I didn't see an elevator there. We went up to the street, walked over to the Metro, and then rode the elevator down. Overall it wasn't the most efficient or least costly way, but it was cheaper than a taxi and helped us kill some time.

For those interested in taxis, they seemed to be plentiful and moving swiftly. However, there's a bottleneck at the port exit that probably gets longer as the day goes on.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to write while everything was fresh in my memory. Thanks again for the great help here Danish Viking!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

How much was the bus per person?

We purchased 48-hour Copenhagen Cards for our stay. They included all public transportation, which means I don't know how much the single ride would cost, sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are using a company http://www.limos4.net. There are twelve of us going from airport to marriott hotel and then to royal princess dock, and they are taking us from ship back to airport. they were great to deal with and will respond to inquiries really fast. I think we are paying $50.00 a couple for each segment of travel.

One of the folks on my roll call for the June 14th Eurodam cruise posted this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43007473&postcount=282

There is apparently a shuttle bus between the Oceankaj terminal and Osterport St.:

The port has had some traffic problems mainly caused by the building of the metro. Therefore we have been working together with Copenhagen Malmoe Port, the police and the municipality of Copenhagen to find some solutions to solve the traffic issue.

This coming weekend the traffic lights were changed for a better flow in the traffic, they have put up an extra traffic light to control the lines and they have re-opened a road (which was closed due to the building of the metro) to direct half of the traffic another way around.

This has reduced the traffic jams and caused a better flow in the traffic.

Public transport in the weekends – Taxi or Shuttle busses

The Shuttle bus will run every 15 minutes. The bus will go from the pier (across from terminal 1) to Østerport station. From here you can take the train to the city (5min – 1 stop to Nørreport station)

From here you can change to the metro if you are going further to the airport (Take the yellow line to Copenhagen Airport, around travel time 15-20minutes)

If you are going to the city, you can also get off at Nørreport station depending on where you are going.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards

Med Venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Naila Anthonsen

Marketing and Office Manager

Direct tel.:+45 3355 7490

Mobile.: +45 2420 7607

mailto: nan@woco.dk

Cruise Copenhagen Network

Nørregade 7B

1165 Copenhagen K

Denmark

Tel.: +45 3325 7400

Fax: +45 3325 7410

Yes the shuttle bus will be driving in both directions. So it will be possible to take the shuttle bus from Østerbro st. to the pier Saturday morning.

The Shuttle bus will also run every 15 minutes from Østerport st. and you can take it from the bus area right next to the trains at Østerport st. It will be possible to pay with both Euro, US dollars and Danish DKK. The amount for the ticket is (the ticket is one-way):

10€

15$

75 DKK

I Hope you will enjoy your stay and get a good experience of Copenhagen

Is it even possible to think that we could get off the ship (NCL Star) early on a tuesday morning (C330), take the 26 Bus into Nyhavn, drop off luggage at our hotel (Bethel), and then make our way (26 Bus again) to Town hall for the 11am free walking tour? Or, instead of going to the hotel first, is there anywhere to store our luggage (8 bags, 4 people), and just make our way over to town hall?

I know there is a 2pm free walking tour as well, its just the 11am will work better for my plans so that we can get back to the hotel in the afternoon before venturing out again to go to Tivoli that evening.

Hello

It seems, like the situation for Quai C330 is going better now - but maybe Danish Viking is able (THANKS A LOT for your ongoing patience with our questions!) to confirm or clear:

Bus 26 is covered by the tickets for public transport, is now available on weekends too (???? at Movia there is no information about that)

From Airport you have to change to the bus at Kongens Nytorv or Østerport st.

You need 3 Zones from airport to the Quai, cost are 36 DKK per adult

At the information I see the bus starts only Monday to Friday from

Kongens Nytorv xx:19 and xx:40

Østerport xx:40 and xx:50

(be careful - there are differences of a few minutes - so be early at the bus stop)

Arrival at Unicef Faergehavn Nord xx:02 and xx:42

Check the timetable http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Timetable%20Resources/26-0026-110514.pdf

OR

Now there is a shuttle bus - has to be paid separatly

The Shuttle bus will also run every 15 minutes from Østerport st. and you can take it from the bus area right next to the trains at Østerport st. It will be possible to pay with both Euro, US dollars and Danish DKK. The amount for the ticket is (the ticket is one-way):

10€ / 15$ / 75 DKK

It would be great to clear, if the regular bus 26 is now available on weekends or if the information about that was misinterpreted by the different offices (tourist board, port authority, movia) in copenhagen....

Thank you

Wendy

Thanks to a couple of posts on this board I have been in touch with Hotel Bethel and have had some lovely and informative replies from them , very very helpful, also giving me prices and ideas for getting to and from the airport and the cruise ship. Does anyone have any first hand information or know anyone who has stayed there or reviewed this hotel who have good things to say ? Pricing seems very fair . But since we are a big family with children I want to make a good decision so I can move on to making other plans. Does anyone know of a recommended tour company for one of the days we are there who will take you for a Viking day to the Viking Museum etc, I understand its not exactly right in Copenhagen. Linda did you ever find a good van to use ? Since there are 7 of us I might consider that too .

Thanks for any and all help, its appreciated :)

jan

Thanks to a couple of posts on this board I have been in touch with Hotel Bethel and have had some lovely and informative replies from them , very very helpful, also giving me prices and ideas for getting to and from the airport and the cruise ship. Does anyone have any first hand information or know anyone who has stayed there or reviewed this hotel who have good things to say ? Pricing seems very fair . But since we are a big family with children I want to make a good decision so I can move on to making other plans. Does anyone know of a recommended tour company for one of the days we are there who will take you for a Viking day to the Viking Museum etc, I understand its not exactly right in Copenhagen. Linda did you ever find a good van to use ? Since there are 7 of us I might consider that too .

Thanks for any and all help, its appreciated :)

jan

I was quoted DKK 820 for a van to go from the Bethel to Oceankaj from Limos4. They would normally seat 8 passengers but would depend on luggage.... would be far more economical to take cabs through the hotel.

I'll be checking in at the Bethel on the 16th. Will get back to you as to how it is but I've every confidence that it will be fine. I'll be blogging live on the RCL board.

Linda

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Linda

what ship are you sailing on with RCL and what day I would love to follow your blog

jan

Legend of the Seas. All being well I'll start posting the blog on the 16th once I've arrived and sorted myself out ;) We embark on the 18th, 11 nights Baltics.

Danish Viking-

First of all, thanks for all your insights on Copenhagen. I've read through a lot of the thread and picked up some wonderful tips.

I have a question about Tivoli Gardens. We have a one-night stay before getting on the NCL Star on July 3 and expect we'll want to spend that evening at Tivoli, grabbing dinner and riding at least a few rides while we're there. (Do you have any favorites?)

Do you recommend purchasing admission/ride tickets in person or online in advance? We'll likely eat dinner while we're at Tivoli, so would one of the packages (PULS) be a good investment?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Good Day Danish Viking,

Following up on post # 1739 from Jollyfish in which they requested confirmation that their day 3 schedule was possible. Your answer is below so you do not have to search:

Day 3 looks wonderful and can be done by train all the way.

My favourite version is to start in Hillerød and the Frederiksborg Palace and end in Helsingør/Elsinore with Kronborg Castle and/or maritime museum because the trains going back to Copenhagen are more comfy and thats good after a long day.

Its the same Øresund trains that also runs between the airport an central station.

From Copenhagen to Hillerød you just take S-train line E, it terminates in Hillerød so you can´t go wrong.

From Hillerød to Helsingør you just take the lokalbanen train.

I can make a more detailed route plan if you want to.

I too am interested in this itinerary day for Saturday Aug 9. If still possible, please provide a more detailed map departing from Scandic Copenhagen on Vester Sogade.

Thanking you in advance, oldbarn

The museuum at the castle opens at 10:00 so my initiary looks like this.

First there is a disruption of the traffic because they build a new road access to the port area and that roadtunnel has to pass the railroad.

So first you walk to the nearby Vesterport station.

Here you take Line A towards Farum and get off at Ryparken at around 08:30

Here you take line M (not to be confused with the metro line M1 and M2) towards Hillerød from where the castle is located.

The timetable is not announced yet but both lines departs every 10th minute. and the travel time is probably 50 minutes, Today its 41 minutes with a direct train.

From Hillerød you can take bus 301 towards Ullerød or Ålholmparken and

302 towards Sophienlund.

Bus 301 departs at 09:35 and 09:55 and if you arrive later also 10:15 etc.

Bus 302 departs at 09:05, 09:25 and 09:55 and yet again if you arrive later 10:05 but for some reason not 10:25.

The trip takes 7-8 minutes from the trainstation and you can walk in 15-20 minutes time through the local shopping streets in Hillerød.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Hiller%C3%B8d+st/Frederiksborg+Castle,+3400+Hiller%C3%B8d/@55.9317612,12.2955864,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465240b93d48e7eb:0xc29994aeefa81d4e!2m2!1d12.310928!2d55.926923!1m5!1m1!1s0x46524097762941e1:0x12c6a634246b6152!2m2!1d12.301272!2d55.934965!3e2

Here are the timetables back to Hillerød station, look for Lørdag that means Saturday.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200030210000&stop_gid=9025200000006769

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Buslinje/afgangstider/Pages/AfgangsTider.aspx?line_direction_gid=9014200030110000&stop_gid=9025200000006769

From Hillerød you need to take the Local train directly to Helsingør.

The train only departs once every hour at XX:03 and it takes 28 minutes.

From here you can walk to Kronborg castle that is visible all the way.

THe train back to Copenhagen departs from Helsingør at XX:03, XX:23 and XX:43.

It takes 40 minutes to the central station.

You can then finish the day in Tivoli or walk back to the hotel in 10 minutes time or if you are tired take any northbound S-train from track 9-10 and get of at Vesterport.

The Øresund train from Helsingør doesn´t stop at Vesterport.

DV,

Is it even possible to think that we could get off the ship (NCL Star) early on a tuesday morning (C330), take the 26 Bus into Nyhavn, drop off luggage at our hotel (Bethel), and then make our way (26 Bus again) to Town hall for the 11am free walking tour? Or, instead of going to the hotel first, is there anywhere to store our luggage (8 bags, 4 people), and just make our way over to town hall?

I know there is a 2pm free walking tour as well, its just the 11am will work better for my plans so that we can get back to the hotel in the afternoon before venturing out again to go to Tivoli that evening.

DV,

It should be possible to reach the 07:52 or 08:13 departures, I think that the 07:13 departure is to early.

But reports here on CC reveals that the busses fills up quickly so its best to get out early and in line.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/Pages/Buslinje.aspx?direction_gid=9014200002620000&line_gid=9011200002600000&line_name=26&journey_gid=9025200000048984#navigate

You can assess the situation when you get to the bus stop and perhaps take a taxi instead if there is to many people.

Danish Viking-

First of all, thanks for all your insights on Copenhagen. I've read through a lot of the thread and picked up some wonderful tips.

I have a question about Tivoli Gardens. We have a one-night stay before getting on the NCL Star on July 3 and expect we'll want to spend that evening at Tivoli, grabbing dinner and riding at least a few rides while we're there. (Do you have any favorites?)

Do you recommend purchasing admission/ride tickets in person or online in advance? We'll likely eat dinner while we're at Tivoli, so would one of the packages (PULS) be a good investment?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I have never purchased anything in advance and I don´t think that you save anything by purchasing online unless you buy the packages.

The puls package is only for a light snack (pizza slices etc) so if you go all in then go for the All Inclusive pacage instead.

The Golden tower is a must.

So I have been able to confirm that Movia is running busses in the weekends from Oceankaj to Østerport aprox every 10th minute between 8 and 10.

So its only in the morning but its an improvement. :D

I think its the standard 24 kroner fare but I'm in the middle of confirming this.

Someone mentioned a bus that runs every quarter but costing 75 kroner but I don't think its the same one.

Edited by Danish viking

Danish Viking-

My husband, I, my husband's brother, his wife plus another couple will be in Copenhagen for 3 nights next May. We want to rent a car (big enough for 6 adults) to drive over to Landskrona, Sweden (my husband's great grandparents were born there). We would like to continue on to Helsingborg, take the ferry to Helsingor, visit a sight or two and return to Copenhagen. Would this be doable in one long day? Also, the least expensive van I have found to rent (holding 6 adults) is from Quick Biludlejinig. Do you know if this is a reliable company? Or do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for any advice.

Barb

I know there is a 2pm free walking tour as well

I am looking for more information of this 2 pm tour.

I have heard of the 11 am free walking tour but not of the 2 pm tour.

The 2 pm tour would work for us on the day we fly into Copenhagen.

Where does the 2 pm tour leave from and do we need to sign up ahead of time?

Thanks for any information.

Edited by Cruisepucks

Danish Viking, I am looking to mail some items home after we get off the cruise ship. We get off the ship on a Sunday so I would not expect a post office to be open. Is there a post office near the Nyhavn that would be open on Monday before 9am? Alternately, is there a post office at the airport that I could mail a package from before getting on our flight out? Thanks for you help in advance.