Wonderful Copenhagen

We are disembarking in Copenhagen and planning to spend a few days there. Our plan is to take a taxi from the port to the hotel since we will have all our luggage with us.

Does anyone know if there is an ATM at the port? Or will taxi drivers take credit cards and we can stop at an ATM after checking in to our hotel? Or should we order some Danish krone ahead of time just to be sure?

If there is an ATM there, is it generally mobbed when a ship is being off-loaded? We're on the Azamara Journey so it's a smaller ship, but still. . .

Edited to add: we're docking at C254-Orientkaj in Frihavnen.

Edited by perlgirlnj

Hi Danish Viking,

We are looking for transfer from Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers to our cruise ship Azamara Journey on the 8th August about 12.30PM .

There are currently 5 and possibly 2 others, Each passenger has 1 small and 1 large bag.

Would the cost of a taxi be about 250 to 300 DKK

What would be the maximum number of passengers/bags per taxi

I thought I should report back on our experiences getting to the port across from Unicef (C330) on public transportation. One of our group thought it would be possible to take the train and then walk rather than take the #26 bus. Part of the thinking would be that it might be easier to take the luggage on the train.

It was possible, but I would not recommend it! First, it was not clear which way we should walk and we all spent some time (mostly me because I had read so much here about taking the 26) wondering if we were headed the right way.

It was a LONG walk. At one point, we finally saw a hopeful sign that said OCEAN and then, after a while, we saw another hopeful sign that had port numbers. Oddly, the sign didn't list 330, but it did list 331 and up. When one of us could finally read our ship's name on the side (we now know who has the best eyes in the group), we were quite relieved.

Long story short - 8 minutes from Cabinn City to the train station, a couple of minutes waiting for a train, 10 minutes for the train, and an hour's walk from there to the ship. I was very thankful that we'd bought new luggage that could be easily pushed/pulled vertically rather than drug diagonally.

The iced tea on the ship was very welcome!

What I found from a local is that c331 refers to the 1st terminal (and c332 to the 2nd terminal etc) at Oceankaj. The bus stop for #26 at UNICEF would be a short walk to c331 (~100m), but the walk to the other terminals at Oceankaj would be several times longer. Fortunate my our ship was the only one at Oceankaj and was at c331. Lastly c330 refers to the whole complex at Oceankaj.

Congratulations on taking probably the longest precruise walk to c331. :D

Hi Danish Viking,

We are looking for transfer from Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers to our cruise ship Azamara Journey on the 8th August about 12.30PM .

There are currently 5 and possibly 2 others, Each passenger has 1 small and 1 large bag.

Would the cost of a taxi be about 250 to 300 DKK

What would be the maximum number of passengers/bags per taxi

The small taxis carries 4 persons so get the hotel to call a large van, depending on model they can carry between 7 and 9.

The price is then in the 400-500 range

What I found from a local is that c331 refers to the 1st terminal (and c332 to the 2nd terminal etc) at Oceankaj. The bus stop for #26 at UNICEF would be a short walk to c331 (~100m), but the walk to the other terminals at Oceankaj would be several times longer. Fortunate my our ship was the only one at Oceankaj and was at c331. Lastly c330 refers to the whole complex at Oceankaj.

Congratulations on taking probably the longest precruise walk to c331. :D

But it helps with does calories :D

Is the Sand Sculpture Festival going on this year as it has the past two years?

The short answer is "no".

I recently cruised in the Baltic region from June 6 to 15 and spent a total of 4 days in Copenhagen before and after the cruise. Thanks to Danish Viking's helpful messages, I had a good time there and visited many attractions in and around that wonderful city.

Several months earlier, I saw some statements at a web site (http://www.worldguide.eu/) saying that there would be a sand sculpture festival this year again. I was very happy because it would be one more thing to see, and free with the Copenhagen Card I was going to purchase.

When I was in Copenhagen, there was no trace of this event - up and down the canal where it was supposed to be held. When I got home, I checked that web site again and noticed that the page has been updated to say basically not this year, but hopefully in 2015. You can see the full text at http:// http://www.worldguide.eu/wg/index.php?StoryID=178&ArticleID=9267.

The short answer is "no".

I recently cruised in the Baltic region from June 6 to 15 and spent a total of 4 days in Copenhagen before and after the cruise. StoryID=178&ArticleID=9267[/url].

Hi,

May I ask where you stayed while in Copenhagen and if you would recommend that hotel?

Thanks!

Harriet

Hi,

May I ask where you stayed while in Copenhagen and if you would recommend that hotel?

Thanks!

Harriet

My DW and I stayed at the Ascot Hotel, about 1/3 mile from the Central Station, a short walk if your luggage is easy to roll. It is close to Tivoli, City Hall, Stroget, Bus #26, #11A, etc.

It cost us about US$215 per night - not bad for a central Copenhagen location. We had a room facing inside so it was very quiet. No A/C. With one window pane open, we felt pretty comfortable, but that was in June - YMMV. The room is small, the beds was comfortable. A very good breakfast buffet is included and that made us feel it is a very good deal.

Perhaps at the kiosk or tax free shop you can find something, there isn´t any dedicated shop.

We are also interested in picking up some wine pre-cruise. Is wine sold in supermarkets in Copenhagen? Do you have any supermarkets to recommend?

If you can find a Superbrugsen, Irma or Føtex that would be good because they have a huge selection.

There are also some kiosks/winestores like Skjold Burne (they have one at Kongens Nytorv).

If you find yourself at Kongens Nytorv then check out Magasins food cellar.

If you can find a Superbrugsen, Irma or Føtex that would be good because they have a huge selection.

There are also some kiosks/winestores like Skjold Burne (they have one at Kongens Nytorv).

If you find yourself at Kongens Nytorv then check out Magasins food cellar.

Our hotel is very close to Kongens Nytorv so that would be perfect.

Tusind tak, Danish Viking!

I need some advice please....we are sailing out of Copenhagen with Disney next June and spending 3 days in Copenhagen post cruise....we have our flights, our cruise and our hotels thanks to good advice on this forum....now, I am trying to book a transport company , we are 4 adults, 3 children and luggage so we dont want to do our transfers via train or bus we would like to hire a transport or limo company to get us from the airport to the hotel, hotel to cruise, cruise to hotel and then hotel to airport , and would it make sense to book this same company, IF we can find one, to take us to the Viking Museum or is there another way to get there , our 3 boys are all about the Viking History . Thanks so much for your wonderful help, its always right on

jan

Hi Danish Viking,

You have helped my sister and she highly recommended you. My husband and I are arriving Copenhagen on 8/14 at 10:25 and sail from Sundkaj 245/Flex Terminal at 1700. We would like to take the train from airport to port, drop off luggage, and take bus @26 to city centre to sightsee. We plan to purchase a Copenhagen pass. Please advise how to take the train from airport to port and where to take bus #26 from port to city.

We travel light and can even lug our luggage with us, take the train from airport to city centre, sightsee, and bus to port. What do you think is a better option? Many thanks. Violet

Arriving on Celebrity Constellation into wonderful Copenhagen at dock C190. From the maps online, it would seem a short walk to many of the sights we are interested in seeing (Little Mermaid, Amalienborg Palace, Rosenborg Castle.

Are there any ATM's at the dock or a money exchange to get Danish Krone for any small purchases I might want to make? Can admission to the castle and palace be charged?

Thank you for your help Danish Viking.

I need some advice please....we are sailing out of Copenhagen with Disney next June and spending 3 days in Copenhagen post cruise....we have our flights, our cruise and our hotels thanks to good advice on this forum....now, I am trying to book a transport company , we are 4 adults, 3 children and luggage so we dont want to do our transfers via train or bus we would like to hire a transport or limo company to get us from the airport to the hotel, hotel to cruise, cruise to hotel and then hotel to airport , and would it make sense to book this same company, IF we can find one, to take us to the Viking Museum or is there another way to get there , our 3 boys are all about the Viking History . Thanks so much for your wonderful help, its always right on

jan

I was thinking about trying to arrange transportation in advance, because we had a bunch of luggage, but the companies that found through various recommendations seemed pretty expensive compared to the meter rates and it was very hard to find reputable reviews of the companies. It really turned out to be not problem to just jump in cabs. Finding a van for seven plus luggage is likely to be a challenge and to be much more expensive than 2 cabs. Two of your journeys start in a hotel, and they can simply call you cabs in advance, and maybe even can summon a supervan for you.

Having now been to Copenhagen and seeing how it all works, if I were in your position, I would simply get out of the airport and grab two cabs -- some are station wagons or larger vehicles and for bigger parties, they will put you in one of those. Same after the cruise. CPH airport and the cruise terminals are very manageable. If you're flying in from outside the Schengen area, you have to get your bags yourself and everything anyway, and so having a guy meet you with a sign to walk you 50 meters to where the cars are really isn't necessary. If you're coming in from inside the Schengen area and can get someone who will meet you at baggage claim, that might reduce some stress, but really, CPH is a very low stress airport to begin with. For the trips from the hotel to the cruise and the hotel the airport, I would just tell the hotel what you need. At our hotel, we called for help with baggage and asked for an oversized wagon cab, and said we'd be down after breakfast. We came down, the cab was waiting, the hotel helped load the luggage and we were off. Piece of cake.

Regguy.....Thank you so much ! what a kind and informative answer.....I am going to really take your advice to heart and think about doing it that way.....I have been in touch with 2 Limo companies , both similar pricing both very expensive but I thought with the children along I would just bite the bullet....neither company is being very reliable about replying to mail and so then I wonder how reliable they would be when we need them....you do make it sound very very simple. Did you ever notice cabs that are vans where we could all be in one and I could possibly book the other trips with them ? We will be on a 7 day Disney cruise and the transfers Disney provides are out of sight as far as money goes. Did you happen to get to the Viking Museum ??? Thanks so very much, that was an awesome reply.

jan

This is an amazing thread but I have been reading and it seems I have missed the plan for just a day in the city. So many seem to have extra time. We are arriving on the Constellation on July 30 with only time there from 10-6. Do you know where our dock will be? Should we use HOHO buses to see the most of the city? We would be willing to walk but what should be our plan to maximize time/sights? I appreciate any input or suggestions.