Wonderful Copenhagen

Danish Viking and others –

We need your help again. We have a short stay in Copenhagen before our cruise in August – a Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. We will be staying at the Imperial Hotel. We would like to take the Netto canal boat cruise at Nyhavn, see the Rosenborg Castle, stroll the Stroget, and visit Tivoli Gardens at night. Are we close enough to walk to all of these venues or would we need to take public transportation? If we need transportation, can you advise how to get there? Also, what times do stores open on the Stroget in the morning and is the Rosenborg open for an early enough for a morning visit? We want to get to our ship by noon to 12:30.

Thanks very much.

nisky

Yes there is now extra busses to and from the pier.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/koreplaner/pages/buslinje.aspx?direction_gid=9014200002610000&line_gid=9011200002600000&line_name=26&tab_name=Afgange&journey_gid=9025200000001437#navigate

Ekstrakørsel på linje 26 / Extra shuttle buses to and from the cruise ship terminal (bus 26) Linje 26 - Ekstrakørsel mellem Østerport St. og Oceankaj (Krydstogtsterminalen). Når krydstogtskibe lægger til ved Oceankaj (Krydstogtsterminalen) bliver der indsat ekstra bus mellem Østerport St. (Sløjfen ved Folke Bernadottes Allé) og Oceankaj (Krydstogtsterminalen). Bussen kører i pendulfart fra kl. 8 til 16. Bus 26 - When cruise ships dock at Oceankaj (cruise ship terminal) shuttle buses will run between Østerport station (at Folke Bernadottes Allé) and Oceankaj (cruise ship terminal) from 8 AM until 4 PM.

I will be back with further answers tomorrow.

To Danish Viking and all...

Thanks so much. Let me give a quick report on the transfers to my Norwegian Star cruise on 06 June. ...

So the next day I did the metro to Kogens Nytor, caught the 0919 bus (wanted to get there early and avoid crowded bus) ...

I was on the same bus, but got on earlier at Hovedbanegården (central train station) around 9:07.

Since many have asked in this thread how luggage can be stored on the bus, I decided to take a picture inside the bus when it was fairly well loaded.

Did I catch you in the picture? :D

P1000765.jpg.4b2d04b70a21150bd870075e63909ade.jpg

I was on the same bus, but got on earlier at Hovedbanegården (central train station) around 9:07.

Since many have asked in this thread how luggage can be stored on the bus, I decided to take a picture inside the bus when it was fairly well loaded.

Did I catch you in the picture? :D

Picture a bit too small...I was sitting all the way in the front. I think I can make out my blue bag sticking a bit out into the aisle in front of the bus but really can't see me (I was wearing a baseball cap).

Thanx

Hey!!

Does anyone know if we will be sailing under the Oresund Bridge during our departure??? I think it will be really cool to see from the water and sail under it.:)

I was on Norwegian Star for the June 6th cruise. It sailed northward after leaving the Oceankaj pier. So I believe you won't sail under the Øresund Bridge.

However, you will sail by the Kronborg Castle about 2 hours after leaving C330. Here is a picture of it from the ship, hazy with 29X zoom.

P1000768.jpg.1fa8c33be682e8daadcd8093fcd4cc4e.jpg

Hey!!

Does anyone know if we will be sailing under the Oresund Bridge during our departure??? I think it will be really cool to see from the water and sail under it.:)

It will most be the Great Belt Bridge instead, few ships sails south from Copenhagen but if they do they will use the Drodgen strait instead.

¨

The Øresund fixed link consist of both a tunnel from Denmark to Peberholm and the bridge from Peberholm to Sweden.

Danish Viking and others –

We need your help again. We have a short stay in Copenhagen before our cruise in August – a Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. We will be staying at the Imperial Hotel. We would like to take the Netto canal boat cruise at Nyhavn, see the Rosenborg Castle, stroll the Stroget, and visit Tivoli Gardens at night. Are we close enough to walk to all of these venues or would we need to take public transportation? If we need transportation, can you advise how to get there? Also, what times do stores open on the Stroget in the morning and is the Rosenborg open for an early enough for a morning visit? We want to get to our ship by noon to 12:30.

Thanks very much.

nisky

Rosenborg opens at 10:00

Also the stores at Strøget opens at 10:00

By this walking map I would say that its possible to see it all on foot.

Rosenborg opens at 10:00

Also the stores at Strøget opens at 10:00

By this walking map I would say that its possible to see it all on foot.

Danish viking - Thank you. Did you have a walking map that you meant to attach as a link? I could really use that.

Would you recommend that we walk or take public transportation to Rosenborg and Nyhavn?

Thanks in advance.

nisky

Dear Danish Viking,

Thank you so much for all the advice. Your generosity to all of us tourists can not ever be repaid! Since we are coming to Copenhagen, I would love to bring a small token from Southern California to show my appreciation for all the directions, advice, costs, and opinions on hotels and tourist spots in beautiful Copenhagen and shake your hand.

What do you think? T-shirt, surfer girl, local beer, beach sand? What would you like?

Tim

Dear Danish Viking,

Thank you so much for all the advice. Your generosity to all of us tourists can not ever be repaid! Since we are coming to Copenhagen, I would love to bring a small token from Southern California to show my appreciation for all the directions, advice, costs, and opinions on hotels and tourist spots in beautiful Copenhagen and shake your hand.

What do you think? T-shirt, surfer girl, local beer, beach sand? What would you like?

Tim

Well its not polite to decline such a nice offer so If you have any interesting local beers (perhaps from a microbrewery) it would be nice.

But when are you in town?, because next week i´m at the Roskilde Festival and the week after in Esbjerg on the western coast of Denmark to visit some family.

I also have a London/Liverpool trip planned but thats in August.

so, my simple question is: what is the average temperatures in Copenhagen in late July and early August? I have looked at the weather websites but it gives estimates not actuals. thanks DV. ;)

I use the phrase "historic weather average" when doing a search. Here's the URL for Copenhagen on one site, Weatherbase.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=8160

The highest recorded temp in July has been 84 and the highest in August has been 88. The normal high is about 20 degrees (F) cooler. Aside from the considerable chance of rain, Copenhagen temps -- high 60s -- strike me as just about perfect for touring.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

thanks so much for a straight forward answer. that is really what I needed to know. I have 3 days in Copenhagen and am trying to plan for packing. Your answer is much appreciated. :)

I use the phrase "historic weather average" when doing a search. Here's the URL for Copenhagen on one site, Weatherbase.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=8160

The highest recorded temp in July has been 84 and the highest in August has been 88. The normal high is about 20 degrees (F) cooler. Aside from the considerable chance of rain, Copenhagen temps -- high 60s -- strike me as just about perfect for touring.

thanks so much for a straight forward answer. that is really what I needed to know. I have 3 days in Copenhagen and am trying to plan for packing. Your answer is much appreciated. :)

Somewhere upthread, another poster mentioned wearing sweatshirts. I'm a big fan of fleece tops rather than sweatshirts. Fleece is more appealing for packing -- thinner and lighter weight -- and more convenient to launder than sweatshirt material.

Fleece can be washed in a sink and dried overnight. After washing, you simply wrap the garment in a towel and press as hard as possible on it. If you do this, the garment will emerge from the towel feeling almost dry. Of course, it's not completely dry. Hang up the garment and occasionally squeeze out any water that pools at the end of sleeves or the bottom of the garment. As I said, it will be dry the next morning.

LL Bean's lightest weight fleece is called Fitness Fleece. There's a heavier weight called comfort fleece. The Land's End equivalent is the Aircore 100 for the lighter weight and the Aircore 200 for the heavier weight. Both companies are having a sale on their fleece now.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

This is for Danish Viking and anyone else

Danish Viking, you are a fabulous resource. Thank you very much

We're going to be in CPN in late September for 4 nights after a cruise. My wife uses a cane and intermediate (3 + blocks) walking is all she can do. We'd like hotel recommendations in a central area of town so we can see some of the sights on foot and take transportation to others. Right now we've got a reservation at the BW Hotel City, but they're changeable.

Thanks, Alan

Well its not polite to decline such a nice offer so If you have any interesting local beers (perhaps from a microbrewery) it would be nice.

But when are you in town?, because next week i´m at the Roskilde Festival and the week after in Esbjerg on the western coast of Denmark to visit some family.

I also have a London/Liverpool trip planned but thats in August.

We get in in the afternoon on the 4th of July and sail out on the 6th. There are plenty of microbrews around near my house: Stone, Lost Abbey, Mother Earth, Iron Fist, and my wife's favorite, Belching Beaver with a Peanut Butter Stout to die for. Too many options to choose from. Maybe I can drop it of at Mikkeller bar on Viktoriagade for a pickup. Let me know. Tbaker125 (at) cox (dot) net.

Tim

Well its during the festival and I don't want to make a hassle about it so its okay if you don't bring it.

I live some 40 minutes with S-train south of Copenhagen so it should also have been a reason to meet up for a beer and a cozy conversation.

Point being, I don't want to use 2 hours and 130 kroner to just take the train into Copenhagen and collect some beers and go home again. :D

This is for Danish Viking and anyone else

Danish Viking, you are a fabulous resource. Thank you very much

We're going to be in CPN in late September for 4 nights after a cruise. My wife uses a cane and intermediate (3 + blocks) walking is all she can do. We'd like hotel recommendations in a central area of town so we can see some of the sights on foot and take transportation to others. Right now we've got a reservation at the BW Hotel City, but they're changeable.

Thanks, Alan

Its a good hotel and bus 66 will get you around town with no problem.

Just ask if you have any specific questions.

Well its during the festival and I don't want to make a hassle about it so its okay if you don't bring it.

I live some 40 minutes with S-train south of Copenhagen so it should also have been a reason to meet up for a beer and a cozy conversation.

Point being, I don't want to use 2 hours and 130 kroner to just take the train into Copenhagen and collect some beers and go home again. :D

I understand. Bad timing on my part but it sounds like you have your priorities straight! Seeing The Stones, Outkast, and Stevie Wonder at Roskilde would be awesome. I will catch you next time.

Tim

We are booked at the Bella Skye as it seemed to be a beautiful hotel and has a shuttle to the airport. We are staying there 3 nights after the cruise. Will it be difficult to go into Copenhagen from that hotel? Our friends are staying only 1 night and have chosen the Copenhagen Towers.

What is your thoughts?

I understand. Bad timing on my part but it sounds like you have your priorities straight! Seeing The Stones, Outkast, and Stevie Wonder at Roskilde would be awesome. I will catch you next time.

Tim

I´m also sorry that it can´t work out.

We are booked at the Bella Skye as it seemed to be a beautiful hotel and has a shuttle to the airport. We are staying there 3 nights after the cruise. Will it be difficult to go into Copenhagen from that hotel? Our friends are staying only 1 night and have chosen the Copenhagen Towers.

What is your thoughts?

Metro line M1 stops next to the hotel at Bella Center and from here the downtown area is only 5-10 minutes away.

The train runs every 4-6 minute during the day and 10-20 minute during the late evening and night.

The metro runs 24/7.

Hi Danish Viking,

We are visiting Copenhagen just for the day, we will be arriving at Langelinie Pier.

We are planning to see the Little Mermaid which we believe is near the port, but would also like to see Nyhven, or perhaps the older part of the city and to get a feel of Copenhagen if there is time.

My question is, do you think we can walk from the pier to Nyhven ?, or if not should we take the bus ?. Also as we are not experienced travellers, should we consider the HOHO bus do you think.

We have been looking at how the bus fares work and are a little confused as they seem to cover different areas and we are not clear what we would need to ask for. Please can you explain.

Sorry if we seem a bit confused, this is our first cruise and we are really looking forward to a ' taster ' of Copenhagen, hoping to come for a longer stay another time.

We are sure you will have answered this question many times before, and we have looked at previous posts but would very much appreciate very simple and straightforward instructions.

Many thanks in advance