Update on being late to Curacao.....

brenderlou

I know there was another discussion about Princess being late to Curacao.

We will be on the Caribbean leaving 3/23 for Aruba and Curacao. I just received an email from Princess notifying me of an itinerary change that we will be getting to Curacao at 2:00 instead of 1:00.

Maybe they were really pushing it trying to get there earlier and have decided to give themselves more time for rough seas, etc. Better to say we are getting there at 2:00 and be early then 1:00 and be late and have people (not me) upset

We're booked on 3/23 and got the same email today. Won't really affect us much - we have reservations with Irie for an island tour...it leaves at 3 and no deposit of commitment. If we're later than that, we'll manage - walk around or maybe get a cab for our own private island tour!:D

I'm booked for this cruise on March 16th and hadn't received anything about an itinerary change. After reading this thread, I checked Cruise Personalizer, and yes, our arrival in Curacao now reads 2:00. Not upset about it--it is what it is--but would have been nice to know.

(My TA hasn't received anything either.)

Donna

How could anyone book any excursions for that late an arrival? I also am going on 4/20 cruise. I'm thinking that possibly the late arrivals is because of "winter" weather. May be warm, but the seas are rougher. So maybe by April the seas will be more calm??

We're booked on 3/23 and got the same email today. Won't really affect us much - we have reservations with Irie for an island tour...it leaves at 3 and no deposit of commitment. If we're later than that, we'll manage - walk around or maybe get a cab for our own private island tour!:D

We did Irie tour at Christmas, while we were on the Carnival Breeze. It was a great tour. They had water, Coke, Sprite and beer onboard the bus. The beach was beautiful and there were plenty of chairs available. Go through the Fort gates to get to their bus. Our ship was to be in 1-11pm and we arrived about 1/2 hour late. The tour left a little later as they know the ship was late coming in.

Just to let you know that the ship is in port until 11pm but the stores close 6-7pm.

We did Irie tour at Christmas, while we were on the Carnival Breeze. It was a great tour. They had water, Coke, Sprite and beer onboard the bus. The beach was beautiful and there were plenty of chairs available. Go through the Fort gates to get to their bus. Our ship was to be in 1-11pm and we arrived about 1/2 hour late. The tour left a little later as they know the ship was late coming in.

Just to let you know that the ship is in port until 11pm but the stores close 6-7pm.

Thats good to know - how much was the tour if you dont mind me asking? Looking to book something for Curacao and would like to see a bit of the island. :)

On a side note - I leave on the 02/09 cruise and never received word... Kinda aggravating, but I am glad I have CC to inform me of such atrocities. ;)

How could anyone book any excursions for that late an arrival?

Is that an impolite slam? :confused:

No, unless it's against Princess...how can they expect anyone to book an excursion there with that late arrival. I'm still hoping to do one, but don't see how it's feasible...

No, unless it's against Princess...how can they expect anyone to book an excursion there with that late arrival. I'm still hoping to do one, but don't see how it's feasible...

I had previously booked a ship excursion and the time of the tour was automatically updated from 1:30 to 2:30 now with the change in arrival time. No problem. Now a private excursion is another story- I do get that- but there are options for you.

Thanks for the update. We were one of the lucky sailings that made it to Curacao on time for our cruise, but knew going into it that we might be late. Although getting in an hour later is less than optimal, at least Princess is being upfront with this information instead of disappointing people weekly.

>>Just to let you know that the ship is in port until 11pm but the stores close 6-7pm.<<

I booked the Caribbean Princes for the 3/16 sailing yesterday and the itinerary I got said the time in Curacao is 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm, not 11:00.

>>Just to let you know that the ship is in port until 11pm but the stores close 6-7pm.<<

I booked the Caribbean Princes for the 3/16 sailing yesterday and the itinerary I got said the time in Curacao is 2:00 pm to 10:00 pm, not 11:00.

We were on the Carnival Breeze and the times were 1-11pm.

We were on the Caribbean Princess for the 1/5/13 sailing and we hit gale force winds after leaving the private island. The next day (sea day) and the day we were to arrive in Curacao, the captain was up against it - he had to slow down to make it as smooth a ride as possible (and it really was, given the conditions) but knew we would be very late getting into Curacao. We were scheduled to arrive at 1 and didn't get in until 4 - and even then it was a close call as to whether he would be able to dock. He did an amazing job, but the shops were all closing up at 6 pm and our 2 o'clock excursion was obviously cancelled. It was a very abbreviated stop... but it is a beautiful port!

We will be on the Caribbean leaving 3/23 for Aruba and Curacao. I just received an email from Princess notifying me of an itinerary change that we will be getting to Curacao at 2:00 instead of 1:00.

Maybe they were really pushing it trying to get there earlier and have decided to give themselves more time for rough seas, etc. Better to say we are getting there at 2:00 and be early then 1:00 and be late and have people (not me) upset

Sounds like a good idea to push the arrival to Curaçao back one hour. Was on the CB this past week and despite really pushing it, we were still a few minutes late into port. Although the seas weren't too rough, the sounds of the waves slapping against the ship made for a rough nights sleep.

I think it is just better to know ahead of time -- just in case you book an independent tour. We sailed on the Caribbean Princess in December and were about an hour late arriving in Curacao. Later, we found out that it had been late arriving in that port for the previous three cruises as well. At least that is what someone told us -- but people talk and sometimes they are not exactly being accurate with their info.

Either way, we still had so much fun on that island. We did the tour that went to the Sea Life Park (whatever it is called down there) and a tour of the Curacao of Curacao -- place where the liquer is made. Cannot remember the names -- maybe too much sampling. Our van also made some other stops with views and discussion of the island. Our tour guide was great and although not a real long tour -- it was perfect. We dropped off our goods onboard and went out for a walk across the bridge into town. We hit the fort for a bit of shopping and a cold drink before heading back to the ship at about 9 PM. It was a perfect day, even though we arrived late. It did start pouring on our walk back from Rit Fort -- but it was kind of refreshing.

So, I don't think arriving at 2 PM was a bad thing in this port -- gave us a chance to sleep in and enjoy the ship before heading out on a tour. Sometimes it is so nice not having to get up early and rush, rush, rush....at a least for us.

With that being said, near the stairwells, there were a couple of rooms with whiteboards hung on their stateroom doors. One said, "Curacao sucks" and the other, "I agree -- hated Curacao". Wow...wonder what they did that made it so bad. It was one of our favorite places.

I think it is just better to know ahead of time -- just in case you book an independent tour. We sailed on the Caribbean Princess in December and were about an hour late arriving in Curacao. Later, we found out that it had been late arriving in that port for the previous three cruises as well. At least that is what someone told us -- but people talk and sometimes they are not exactly being accurate with their info.

Either way, we still had so much fun on that island. We did the tour that went to the Sea Life Park (whatever it is called down there) and a tour of the Curacao of Curacao -- place where the liquer is made. Cannot remember the names -- maybe too much sampling. Our van also made some other stops with views and discussion of the island. Our tour guide was great and although not a real long tour -- it was perfect. We dropped off our goods onboard and went out for a walk across the bridge into town. We hit the fort for a bit of shopping and a cold drink before heading back to the ship at about 9 PM. It was a perfect day, even though we arrived late. It did start pouring on our walk back from Rit Fort -- but it was kind of refreshing.

So, I don't think arriving at 2 PM was a bad thing in this port -- gave us a chance to sleep in and enjoy the ship before heading out on a tour. Sometimes it is so nice not having to get up early and rush, rush, rush....at a least for us.

With that being said, near the stairwells, there were a couple of rooms with whiteboards hung on their stateroom doors. One said, "Curacao sucks" and the other, "I agree -- hated Curacao". Wow...wonder what they did that made it so bad. It was one of our favorite places.

I think we're doing a similar tour that's scheduled to run from 3-6. Are the shops near the ship open late enough for a bit of browsing after the tour? Don't really want to buy a lot of stuff, just to be able to walk around a little before dinner.

This is probably much more realistic. Just got off CB yesterday. We were alongside the pier at 1:30 and off the ship about 2pm.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off CB on Saturday...last Tuesday we were alongside at 2:40 and couldn't get off the ship until around 3:30. We had no plans other than to go in town on our own, so it wasn't a problem for us. We had also received an itinerary change email from Princess before the cruise stating that the arrival time was changed to 2:00, but I think the seas were a little rough the night before Curacao and he had to slow down somewhat. Hope this helps!

WE also got off the ship Saturday.

Princess treated exiting the ship in Curacao like a tender port. They gave out numbers (in large groups). You could wait anywhere on the ship. When your number group was called, you could exit. This eliminated long lines on the ship . I went to get a number for our group of four. Was told since we were all Elite, we could exit with the first group, no number needed, which we did. Very organized way to handle things by Princess.

WE also got off the ship Saturday.

Princess treated exiting the ship in Curacao like a tender port. They gave out numbers (in large groups). You could wait anywhere on the ship. When your number group was called, you could exit. This eliminated long lines on the ship . I went to get a number for our group of four. Was told since we were all Elite, we could exit with the first group, no number needed, which we did. Very organized way to handle things by Princess.

Do you know how Princess handled people who were booked for a Princess excursion? Did they have those people meet in a certain place on the ship and were they all assigned the same number? Just curious...we sail in less than 3 weeks. I hope the seas are calmer--I understand you had a windy cruise!

Do you know how Princess handled people who were booked for a Princess excursion? Did they have those people meet in a certain place on the ship and were they all assigned the same number? Just curious...we sail in less than 3 weeks. I hope the seas are calmer--I understand you had a windy cruise!

I was not on that cruise but I would expect that all tours would meet on board (most in the Princess Theater) and then each tour led off the ship when it was time to do so. No need to get an exit group number.

Archived